So you are here

Not the first time I met you

"Jeshika-sshi!"

Jessica looked back to see the familiar face, "Samchon how many times do I have to tell you to drop the formalities. You have known me since I was fifteen." The older man laughed and nodded. But Jessica knew he would be back to the formalities again the next time he sees her.

"I saw your interview in that fashion magazine CeCi, I showed it to all my friends. My wife wouldn't stop talking about it. We are so proud of you Jeshika-sh-I mean Jeshika." 

"I am so glad you saw it, I don't even think my parents even know about that interview." 

"Really? We even told our neighbors about it, you remember the Liu's right?" Jessica nodded in remembrance. "-when Yuri-ah told us about it, we didn't even know what CeCi was, my wife and I never really kept up with fashion things you know." 

"Yu-Yuri told you?" 

"Neh, Jeshika she keeps up with all your TV things, and interviews and shows us that's how we know." 

Jessica smiled at the new found information. 'She still cares.' 

Her parents haven't exactly been supportive about her own fashion-business venture and she has kind of been on her own building up Blanc & Eclare from scratch. 

"It's good to know that she still remembers me, I haven't seen her in so long." 

"She asks about you everytime we call Jeshika. She is actually in the next port where the cruise is stopping." 

"Oh really?" 

"Neh, I should ask her to join so you two can catch up." 

Jessica's breath hitched at the thought of seeing Yuri again. The last time she saw her was at their college graduation, and Yuri told her she would be going to America for her masters. They kept up on Skype and such for a while, but slowly lost contact. Yuri started travelling to obsure places with no connectivity and Jessica got busy with work, got married and still working hard to make sure Blanc and Eclare maintains it's place in the industry. 

'What would she think of me now? Will she approve of Tyler? But I want to see her so bad.' 

"Jeshika! Jeshi-"

"Huh?"

"You zoned out for a bit. I was saying that maybe I will call Yuri and tell her you are here, and this is my last cruise vacation before retiring so she should come spend sometime here with us."

"Oh yes, yes of course. You should call Yuri."  Jessica said, trying to calm her heart that started thumping suddenly at the thought of seeing the journalist. 

In the next moment, she heard the older man with his glasses on, on his phone, probably dialing Yuri. 

"Hello Yuri-ah-" 

"Jessica." Jessica didn't have to turn back to know who that was. 

"Mr. Kwon I have to borrow my daughter." The man said without regarding the fact that the other man was on the phone or that him and Jessica might be in the middle of a conversation. With that Jessica felt that familiar firm tug on her elbow, the one that makes it seeem like she can just get out of it, but she actually tries it's firmly keeping her in place. 

Jessica threw the man on the phone an apologizing look, and he smiled at her in understanding, his lips good-natured smile reminding her of someone with a very similar smile. 

................................................

"Jessica can you make time to come to the annual party at my office on the 29th?" 

"Isn't that the Thursday on the week we get back? I think I would have a lot to take of at work Tyler."

"I have a lot of work Jessica and I can't argue with you about this then. I want you to come to the party. Just be there." 

Jessica sighed. It was pointless arguing with Tyler, it would just blow up into a huge fight, and right now Jessica just wasn't in the mood to fight. The thought that has been recently floating around in her mind just came back up in the surface. 'Should I just go through with the divorce?' 

There has been too many of these anyways and by this time this marriage is more of a show than anything else. 'I have had too much of this show. It's time to get out of this. I have tried to be this perfect daughter of the Jung family, perfect wife of the Kwon family for so long and this is just that I am never going to be enough.' 

JEssica decided to take a walk around the ship to clear her mind. She was standing by the railing when she felt something wet on her feet. 

"Hani! Come here girl!" 

Jessica took the little dog, nuzzling her nose against the pet, who contently her face. She looked around for Krystal, 'if Hani is here, Krystal should be here somewhere.' 

"Let's go find my sister Hani." 

Jessica turned the corner when she saw Krstal's back facing her, she was engrossed in a conversation with this tall girlish looking boy, 'or is that a boyish looking girl...i can't tell.' Hani squirmed in Jessica's hold, indicating that she wants to be released and as Jessica released her, she went running to the tall person who was talking to Krystal and rolled at her feet. 

"Hani girl com'ere girl! Where did you go off to?" 

'Definitely a boyish girl.' 

"Thanks for finding our dog!" The tall girl said to Jessica. 

'Are you referring to MY dog as OUR as in you and Krystal's dog?' 

Jessica just raised her eyebrows at the comment and glared at the girl who smiled sheepishly not know how to respond to the glare. 

Krystal turned around to see the person who brought back Hani, only to find her sister glaring at one of the crew members that she has been chatting with. 

"Oh Unnie!" Now it was the tall crew member's turn to raise her brows in surprise. "You brought Hani! I didn't even realize she ran off." 

"Yea because you have been busy with this-"

Knowing how her sister could be a little cold toward new people, Krystal didn't let Jessica finish her sentence. 

"Unnie this is Amber! She is the deck officer for this cruise ship. Amber this is Jessica my sister." 

"Nice to meet you Jessica-shi." 

It was hard not to smile when Amber offered her hand and smiled brightly at Jessica. She had one of those contagious smiles, Jessica could see why Krystal decided to hang out with this girl here rather than being with the cruise members that her father had invited strategically to help his business and reputation. 

"Shouldn't you be doing your deck officer work and not hanging out like this with my sister?" 

"Oh I am actually off duty tonight. I am back on duty tomorrow morning o-six hundred." 

"O what?" 

"I mean 6 o' clock in the morning. Sorry bad habits of always saying time in the 24 hour scale." Amber smiled embarassed, rubbing the back of her neck. 

Jessica smiled at the girl in front of her. 'She's cute.' She turned to Krystal to say something and saw her looking at Amber who was bending down to pick up Hani. 'Seems like Kystal thinks so too.' 

"You guys want to take a tour of the cruise? It's going to be a special tour with special access to places that only crew members have acess to." Amber suggested brightly. 

"Wouldn't you get in trouble for that?" 

"Well let's try to not get caught then!" 

"Okay let's go then! Unnie you coming?" 

"I always wanted a grand tour of the ship."

Jessica decided to hang out with Krystal and Amber, 

......................................................

Jessica woke up when the light falling on her eyes became too hard to ignore even with the blanket on her face. She took a deep breath. 'This blanket smells different.' 

Jessica moved the blanket out of her eyes and frowned at the unfamiliar room. 

She heard the door click. "Unnie you are finally awake! Come on down it's lunch time and everyone is looking for you." 

"Where am I?" 

"Amber's cabin. Remember? I think we just got too drunk and ended up crashing in Amber's bed while watching Netflix, I woke up and found the note Amber left for us, 'cause she was gone for her duty at 6." 

"Good girl that Amber." 

"Yea she is really nice!" Krystal said agreeing carefully, it was unlike jessica to approve of unknown people so soon, or at least voice her approval. 

"What? Did I just say that out loud?" 

Krystal giggled at Jessica's expression of horror at admitting that she thinks of that deck officer as nice. 

"Yes unnie you did. Now wake up and come to lunch. I have to take you, so you dont get lost." 

"How do you know the way out?"

"Amber left some detailed description for us in that note." Krystal said showing Jessica the paper that Amber left for the sisters indicating the directions to the main deck area. "You missed the stop at the port. It was a short stop anyways." 

"Oh?" 'Did Yuri come?' 

"You didn't miss much." 

'Did I miss Yuri? Or did she not come?' 

"That's good." 

.........................................................

"Did you see her?" 

"Yes I saw her. She was swimming in the pool when I was taking my morning walk around the deck pool. She was swimming laps, so graceful, so smooth." 

'WHo are these ajhummas' gossipping about now?' 

"What was she wearing?" 

'What kind of conversation is this? are they crushing on some girl in the cruise ship?' 

"Very modest swimsuit I have to say, although I don't know why..from seeing her arms I could tell she was quite the specimen." All the ajhummas giggled at the description. 

Jessica could practically hear the older women drool over whoever this girl is. 'I thought they are all homophobic. This is the most homo conversation I have ever heard.' 

Somehow Jessica was stuck in the van with all the ajhumma's on their way to one of the sight seeing places on the port. She was currently pretending to be asleep in order to avoid participating in said homo conversation. 

"I have to say I was surprised to see her this morning when she came in. She looked to pretty, she definitely made quite a name for herself. I read her articles, she has been to some tough places around the world." 

'Are they talking about who I think they are talking about? Is Yuri really here? Why didn't I see her at lunch?' 

"She likes girls." One of the ajhumma's provided in whisper. 

"That's old news. Plus, it's the new trend, you gotta walk with the trend."

"Honestly, with her looking like that and being that famous, I don't think, I'd mind her being my oppa." One of the ajhummas mentioned causing the other's to giggle. 

'Okay, this ajhumma is definitely not straight. And she is too old for Yuri anyways. How did they know Yuri like girls? Did she mention some girl in her articles or something.' Now JEssica regretted not reading Yuri's article, being too caught up in her work. 'But she apparently reads all my interviews.' That made Jessica feel guilty. 

"She grew up well, I got to admit. When I saw her this morning helping at the kitchen to prepare lunch. So athletic, friendly and rich on one hand and then caring and good at cooking. It's like two in one deal." 

"She definitely got darker. Probably from staying out in the sun. She has a nice jaw line-"

At this point Jessica has had enough with the ajhumma's salivating over Yuri. She knew there was one way for this conversation to end immediately, that is for her to "wake up". Therefore, Jessica opened her eyes.

"Oh Jessica you just woke up?"

"yes."

And no one said anything about Yuri for the rest of the journey.

...............................................

 Jessica was getting out of her room to head down to the night show that was happening at the cruise tonight. When she heard someone clear their throat and, "Sica?" There is only one person in the whole wide world who calls her that. 

It took Jessica a moment to gather herself before turning around to where said voice came from. 

When she finally turned around, there she was, standing with the same good-natured smile on her face, the twinkle in her eyes that's hard to miss, that Jessica missed so much. 

"You remember me?" Yuri prompted seeing Jessica motionless. 

Jessica realized that she was just staring, so she quickly recovered walking over to Yuri, who then engulfed her in a tight hug, lifting her up and then putting her down. "Of course I remember you, you fool." 

"Good, cause for a moment there I was afraid you didn't." 

"Sorry I just zoned out." 

"Well typical Jessica Jung style." It felt like someone just left her breathless when she heard Yuri say her whole name. 'She doesn't say Jeshika anymore...probably all that schooling in America got rid of her accent.' 

Yuri took her silence as something else. "Oh sorry my bad, it's Jessica Kwon now. I am sorry I hope I didn't offend you." 

'Well mght as well be Jessica Jung.' 

"Chill Yuri. It's not that easy to offend me." 

"Remember when we first met and I couldn't pronounce your name Jessica and would have to say Jeshika and that offended you?" 

"yea yea I remember, I thought you were making fun of me because of my American name. That's why I let you call me Sica." 

"Now I can say Jessica. Did you see that?" 

"Yea. Finally." 

"You look good Sica! Still blonde, it really suits you. Look at you, I heared Blanc and Eclare doing really well, you are living your dream. I am so happy for you. Look at you with your own business, married and all that."

The last part stung more than it made her feel good or accomplished or loved. But Jessica was happy that she made Yuri proud.She took a good look at the girl in front of her, her typical v-neck shirts and shorts with flip-flops, it's like she never aged, even her face, except for Jessica could see that Yuri has experienced things, seen things probably by virtue of her job, that people usually don't come across and that shows on her face. It made Jessica's chest swell in pride for her best friend who has achieved so much in such young age starting from such humble beginnings. 

"Yul Unnie? Is that you?" 

The girls heard Krystal, and before Yuri could turn around to greet the younger girl, she felt something or rather someone latching onto her back. 

"Yep it's me, one and only." 

"Unnie carry me." 

"Krystal stop! Get off Yuri!" 

Jessica tried to get her sister to get off Yuri's back but no such luck. 

"You are just jealous that you don't get to have a piggy back ride" 

"You are going to hurt Yuri Get off!" 

"It's okay, Krystal here is light as a feather. She is not hurting me." Yuri smiled to reassure Jessica. 

"You heard her, I am 'light as a feather', so stop being jealous Unnie. Yuri unnie run!" 

With that Yuri took off running with Krystal squealing, leaving a smiling Jessica to walk at her own pace. 

....................................................

THe young people of the party were all sitting together, chatting. 

"Say Yuri, I heard you are a journalist?" 

"Yessir" Yuri said playfully. 

"It's like you journalist types especially female journalists always write about such depressing things happening to women around the world, you know you could slip in some good things that happen as well you know. We are surrounded by women here who have their jobs and own businesses." 

Tyler said looking at Jessica, who smiled in return. 

"Guitly as charged Tyler. It's just that even in our current society there is so much systemic and institutionalized ism that it's still quite a depressing story. And even though the whole point is to not really making everyone sad, but sometimes people are so caught up in the system, it is to make sure they see what-" 

"So are you saying that we are caught up in the system?" 

"I mean in a way, yea we are." 

"I disagree Yuri. In my family I let my wife go to work, own her own business even." 

"Did you hear yourself talk? It's like that." 

"Why what did I say to offend you now?" 

"You didn't offend me, you just said you 'allow'  your wife to work, making it such that you are in a position of power, authority or control. Who are you to allow your wife to do anything? She is her-"

"Alright Yuri stop! That's enough lesson." Jessica intercepted, surprsing Yuri. 

"Are you calling me misogynist?" Tyler challenged.

"Tyler stop!" Jessica said to her husband, who has had a little too much at this point to stop. 

"Huh? Yuri? Answer me. What are you trying to say? Are you trying to make me look bad-"

"I am not trying to do anything Tyler." 

"Alright Yuri. Stay quiet. Tyler, let's get you to bed." 

Yuri complied and stayed quiet, JEssica saw KangHee one of the girls that was her's father's business acquantance's daughter, rubbing Yuri's hand, in an attempt to comfort her. 

Later that night when Jessica was standing on the deck just watching the ocean, thinking about the things that happened earlier between Yuri and Tyler, she turned hearing someone clearing their throat. 

"You didn't have to be so mean to Tyler." 

"I really didn't think I was being mean. I am sorry if I made him feel bad." 

"Why won't you just back down? Never thought you were the argumentative type." 

Yuri lowered her head and spoke. "I am sorry if I hurt you with what I said to him, hurting you was never my intention. I am just really proud of you and all that you have achieved and become. I remember where you started Sica, and look where you are now. You became all of this on your own accord. I am not sorry that I am proud of you and I can't watch anyone trying to take away from what you have achieved and become." 

With that Yuri left Jessica to her thoughts. 

.................................................

"Bloody journalist types. Always accusing people for one thing or the other"

"Tyler." 

"I just can believe she had the guts to call me a misogynist like that. She thinks she's so over smart." 

"TYLER! I WANT A DIVORCE." 

"What? Is it because of what happened last night?" 

"What? No! I have been thinking about it for too long, and I just can't do this anymore." 

"Did she brainwash you?"

"Yuri has nothing to do with it." 

"Then what's the problem? I let you do whatever you want, whatever you buy. What's the issue?"

"Tyler this, you and me is not working out. I don't love you, and I don't feel like you love me either." 

"Babe, we have only been married for 2 years, love will come eventually." 

"No, Tyler it won't and I really tried to love you and feel for you but I don't. I want a divorce." 

" YOU! YOU HAVE GONE CRAZY!! ARE YOU EVEN ING THINKING ABOUT WHAT THE PEOPLE WILL SAY?" 

Tyler was this close to Jessica yelling at her face, she was a bit shaken, she had never seen this side of Tyler Kwon before. 

She was trying to think of something to say without stuttering, when she heard, "Who do you think you are to talk to my daughter like that?" 

Tyler deflated immediately after hearing the stern voice of none other than Mr. Jung. 

"Sir, I was just-Jessica was asking-"

"WHo the hell says you can shout at my daughter? Huh?" 

"Sir I didn't do anything. Jessica, she was asking for a divorce."

"I can see why."

"Sir I am usually not like this."

"It's not what you are usually like, it's what you are like under unusual conditions. Now you are going to do as she says and get the hell out of my sight and don't come near my daughter ever again." 

"I-Yes-yes sir." With that Tyler scurried off. 

Mr. Jung sat beside his daughter and pulled her in a hug. Jessica couldn't take it anymore, she broke down crying in her father's arms. 

"I am sorry sweetie, I had been so caught up in my business that I didn't see this going on. I am so sorry." He muttered again and again, rocking his precious daughter back and forth. 

..............................................................................

"Sica?" 

Jessica looked over to see Yuri and Hani walking toward her.

"Are you okay? Your eyes look puffy." 

"Yes, I am better now-uhm, just some allergy." 

"Oh, okay. Hey I wanted to really apologize, I thought it over and I could've said it in a better way. I am seeing you after so long, and I don't want this to come in between us. So friends?" 

'I don't wanna be your friend stupid.' 

"okay friends." 

Yuri smiled and as if it's contagious, Jessica smiled for the first time that day. 

Later in the afternoon Jessica decided to help the ajhummas at the kitchen thinking that maybe she'd see Yuri there. But it seemed like the journalist girl wasn't there. Instead she was invited by the ajhummas to sit and peel cucumbers with them. JEssica's worst nightmare. 

"So Jessica-" 'Here it comes, who do I have to set up with who, or better yet what do you want to know about who,' "you and Yuri are close no?" 

"Yes we are good friends." 

"Then do you know if she is currently interested in anyone?" 

That made Jessica stop peeling. She scrunched her face at the thought of Yuri with a girl. 'I hope that ogre is not dating anyone. Who would wanna date her anyways. Everyone and their mothers apparently. Literally,' 

"Umm not that I know of," 

"That's perfect then. We are thinking about setting up KwangHee and Yuri. See even their names rhyme together." 

'Ew why would you want their names to rhyme, that's disgusting.' 

"I don't think that's nice to set Yuri up with someone she doesn't even know." 

"Why? They'll get to know each other. I saw Yuri and KwangHee talking closely the other day. All you need to do is make them go on a date."

"I can't do that. Find someone else for this job. Actually nevermind, I don't think Yuri and KwangHee will be a good match at all."

With that being said, Jessica stomped away from the kitchen and straight to Yuri's cabin. 

Yuri was just reading up on some travel log when she heard some ferocious knocking on her door. 

"Coming, coming! The door is about to break." She joked while opening the door and letting in a fuming Jessica Jung. 

"Jessica? Are you okay?" 

"Yea I am fine. Actually no I am not okay," 

"Do you want some water?" 

"No." 

"Okay. So what are you wearing?" 

"Yuri this is not a time to joke-" She stopped when she realized that Yuri was smiling and pointing at the apron that she was still wearing. "Oh." 

"Looks good on your. Never knew you were into cooking. I thought you hated the kitchen." 

"I still do."

"Then why-nevermind. What did you come to say? Must be important since you almost unhinged that poor door." 

"Do you like KwangHee?"

"KwangHee who? Oh HwangHee? I guess. I dont really know her." 

"Listen they are trying to set you up in a date with KwangHee. Just say no." 

"What? WHy?" 

"WHy say no? because you don't like her." 

"What not I mean why are they-first of all who are they and why are they setting me up with her. Thirdly, I never said I don't like her" 

"So you like her?" 

"No, I just don't know her." 

"So then how can you date her if you don't know her. Simple, just say no." 

"I thought people went to dates to get to know people. Maybe I will end up actually liking her-" 

"No that's not gonna happen." 

"WHy? Is she mean?" 

"No I don't know, but I know she is not your type. Why are you being so difficult? Just simply say no," 

"WHy are you so eager about who I go on a date with? You get to live your live, have your perfect life and your perfect husband and I can't even go on a stupid date?" 

"it's not what you think" 

"Then what is it Jessica. Tell me."

"I would but you are always leaving. You left for the States and you left me here alone." 

"I told you to wait for me Jessica. I told you I would be back." 

"But you weren't you didn't come back." 

"Yea please forgive me that I didn't want to see the love of my life getting married to some dude." At this point Jessica and Yuri were at each other's faces almost shouting at each other. 

"Wait what did you just say?" Jessica said softly, she looked down and realized she was gripping onto Yuri's tshirt, their faces so close she could feel Yuri's breath on her face.

"Look it's nothing I-" The rest of Yuri's words went back where they were going to come from, since she was shut up by a hot passionate kiss. Yuri kissed Jessica back  just as ardently pulling her closer by the waist, their bodies flush against each other. 

It wasn't until Yuri's brain finally processed what was going on that, Yuri came to her senses and broke the kiss. 

"Sica-I can't-We can't-I mean you are married, you are Kwon Jessica-"

"Yea the wrong Kwon Jessica." 

"Huh? What do you mean?" 

'Are you serious? Do I really have to spell it out for this tan tall ogre!?!? Did she not see or feel me kiss her?' 

"I want to be Kwon Jessica, Kwon Yuri's wife and no one else's." Jessica said her face burning, she tried to lower her head, hoping that her hair would cover the blushing face. But a finger hooked under her chin, spreading the familiar feeling of warth all over her body, making her face the deep brown orbs. 

"What about Tyler?" 

"I am getting a divorce." 

"What? What would-"

"Shh" Jessica said putting a finger on Yuri's lips. "it doesn't matter what anyone else says. Weren't you the one who told me that? When i used to be so caught up with what so and so will say. All I need to hear is you saying that you still want to give this a try. That's all I ask Yuri-ah. I was coward once. I won't be coward again." 

"Sica you already know the answer." 

"You have to wait for me to figure out this divorce thing. and then I will come back to you, Will you wait for me?" 

"Forever."