5/5

behind you, I’ll be with you as you go

Sehun and Zitao bid goodbye only hours after, Zitao promising he’ll take good care of Minseok. Lu Han’s not sure if the catboy will actually stay with the pair, but considering Sehun is finally okay with them adding another household member, Lu Han concludes this might be the last obligation he somehow feels bound to. Minseok has a place to stay and even though he refused to come with him, Lu Han knows he’ll do great in this place. He’s been gone since this afternoon, but Lu Han’s sure he’ll be back by midnight.

The trip to Seoul is three hours long, but with no people to cut his road with ridiculous stories and almost impossible life events, gas to run out or broken car pieces, he arrives to the capitol before midnight, weeks of adventure left lying on many paths and crossroads of something he never experienced before.

Lu Han, if he dares say, feels so plain and ordinary when his Ford finds an empty spot on the Motel’s parking lot and checks in successfully with no one to grab onto his sleeve and pull him towards the nearest wending machine, or to cuddle against his back when he only finds a single blanket over the bed, not to mention the TV doesn’t work and he almost yells at the silence in the room. It’s suffocating, really, but it’s all going to be worth later because who is Lu Han to get attached to someone he met twenty days ago.

It’s too late to call Yifan, Jongdae is the last one on the list of people he wants to contact right now, so he settles on sending a comforting message to Sehun, assuring the young boy everything went okay on his trip and how he checked in a motel with a perfect view of the downtown and concrete fountain. He can almost ignore the smell of soap and earth, something oddly familiar to the way Minseok would feel when he slept by Lu Han’s shoulder, but he doesn’t mention that to Sehun. He only asks if Minseok is still in the house, but Sehun doesn’t answer until late that evening about Minseok still not being back; only, by then, it’s already too late.

~

It’s 6am, still too early to wake up Yifan, but not for Lu Han to go over the scrip one more time and conclude this might actually be a very, very, bad idea.

It might be him, considering how much he’d changed over the past couple of years, except this sounds like something he would never write in his life. The plot is too cheesy, the characters are the most perfect example of stereotypical slice of life novels, not to mention they all get a happy ending and who even does that anymore. He most certainly won’t get his happy ending in this ty motel with an embarrassing work he delayed for over a year, not to mention his heart got broken by a homeless person he found in his backseat. Also, he might have had a serious case of Stockholm syndrome.

Honestly, his life sounds like a perfect tragicomedy he actually considers writing it down and submitting that to Yifan.

“Who are you kidding, Lu Han,” he says to himself when he shuts his laptop, panic washing over him. Yifan’s going to kill him. Why did he give up on living a life by the side road with his collection of Jaejoong merch? Oh, right, Minseok. Suddenly, Lu Han blames the stray for everything that happened, for his pathetic life choices and it doesn’t matter he met the catboy long after he enrolled in university, Minseok had met Joonmyun then and that’s the part of the story he almost forgot about.

Anger settles instead of panic, determination finds a way there as well, and with his laptop under his arm Lu Han stomps out of the room, ready to face Yifan now more than ever.

~

There was that one time when Lu Han fell in love during his freshman year. The girl had been the most beautiful person he ever met in his miserable life. Light bob hair that framed her heart-shaped face and full lips, bangs hiding shy glances she threw over her History of Art book and such small and delicate hands Lu Han wished to kiss all over, along with her lips and other parts of her lithe body he wanted to discover over and over again.

After some time, as if he was in middle school again, Lu Han started returning her glances with ones that were much longer and persistent than hers because, after all, he was a real man. And real men took the first step. And really, Lu Han wanted to, but the girl out of the blue started avoiding him, hiding around the corners whenever he would come near her and not to mention she dropped her soup all over him that one time he said “Hi” to her in cafeteria – but we don’t talk about that.

Jongdae told him one day what the problem might be. Apparently, there’s a thin line between a psychotic serial killer and his face when he has a crush on someone or falls in love. If he was to trust Jongdae’s words, he looks like he wants to devour the girl, but not in that kind of a way, but the one that is completely wrong.

Unlike those times whenever Jongdae would about that, Lu Han would answer him back and maybe show a middle finger – his face is perfect, thank you very much – only right now he wonders if his best friend was maybe right after all. Because sitting in front of Yifan’s house for three hours doesn’t make him suspicious and psychotic at all. Nope.

He grips the steering wheel harder when an ahjussi passes his car, giving him a judging stare. He should consider parking somewhere else if the police suddenly drops by.

Only the police never shows up, but a ride Lu Han used to only see in action movies and tacky 80’s rock music videos. The sound echoes through the street, the rumbling noise at first coming from his left then getting louder and louder, till a jet black Harley Davidson stops not meters from his own ride, a portable metal can compared to the sleek bike. What amazes him even more than the vehicle, and plates where “Hani” in bright pink is written, is the woman straddling the seat.

Lu Han doesn’t have words to describe her - her slim legs hugged by black leather pants, dark lipstick and long hair untouched even with the helmet off, not to mention her ability to ride a bike in those heels – but they’re all outshined by the person currently hopping off the seat and taking off their helmet as well.

Even if they hadn’t taken off the helmet, Lu Han would be able to recognize the slick tail and his favorite DBSK shirt – the only one Baekhyun didn’t manage to take – anytime. Unlike the woman’s, Minseok hair is wild without the helmet, eyes wide in excitement as he offers the bowl-shaped object to her.

Trying to be discreet as much as possible, Lu Han slides lower in his seat with only the top of his head visible to someone outside. He rolls down the window carefully and the sound of Minseok and the woman chatting hits him. They’re barely audible with all the noise in the street, but Lu Han can still distinguish Minseok’s giggles – Minseok never giggled – and endless thanks – and he especially never thanked - directed to the woman on the bike.

Bless the rear mirror, or wait, curse the rear mirror because now Lu Han can not only hear them but can also see the smooch Minseok plants on her cheek, too close to her lips to be platonic. He stops the hiss from leaving his lips when she pats Minseok on the , says something like “For you babe, anything” and starts the engine while putting her polished black helmet on. Minseok doesn’t stop waving till she turns round the corner, out of their sight.

It looks like Minseok hasn’t noticed his presence. Words can’t describe how Lu Han is proud of his successful espionage, so proud he fistbumps the wheel, hits the honk and startles anyone in the radius of a kilometer. Including Minseok.

“Lu Han?”

“”

The damn handle gets stuck and the widow mimics it, stuck on its half-way to close and hide Lu Han’s shame. And if that wasn’t enough, something clicks in the mechanism under the seat, making the entire backrest collapse, pulling Lu Han down with a shriek.

 It’s official, the entire universe hates him.

“Lu Han, what the hell are you doing?”

Lu Han grins. “Isn’t it obvious?” When Minseok shakes his head, Lu Han rolls his eyes in exaggerated annoyance. “I’m resting.”

Minseok eyes the boy lying on the seat of the car, head propped on his arm and hair sticking out in every direction. He winks. Minseok cringes.

“, you’re lying. What are you doing lying like some creep in front of Wu Yifan’s house at 10am?”

Lu Han grabs the opportunity to sit straight, looking at Minseok through the half open window.

“This is Yifan’s house?”

“Lu Han!”

“What?”

“What are you doing here?”

 “I should be asking you that!”

It comes out harsher than he meant though, so Minseok backs away slightly, out of Lu Han’s view. Rolling his eyes, since the window couldn’t do that instead, Lu Han steps out of the car. Minseok stands at an arm length from him, hands perched on his hips, but eyes focused on something more interesting happening behind Lu Han. When Lu Han turns to check and see there’s nothing but ivy and grass*, he squints at the catboy still successfully ignoring him.

They’re really good at the whole ignoring thing, Lu Han concludes, both of them. Obviously, it’s a problem that must be solved. So that’s why Lu Han explains first, “I’m too scared to go inside.”

“Oh”

“Yeah”

Minseok’s not ignoring him anymore when he asks, “Why?”

It’s Lu Han’s turn to look away. “It’s ridiculous. You’d probably laugh at me.”

“Oh,” Minseok says again, then chuckles, the sound making him tingly and fuzzy feeling all over. It’s not a good thing, the fuzzy feeling, particularly now with Minseok practically laughing in his face. Lu Han feels his face going red even when Minseok stops laughing.

“If you think that’s ridiculous, wait till you hear why I’m here.”

“Why are you here then, Minseok?”

“To see you, of course! I figured out I can’t live without looking at your annoying face every day, so I came to tell you exactly that and to see if the offer is still standing.”

“Offer?”

“To come with you.” 

“But, what about Yixing?”

“I think it’s obvious we were never destined to go through all of this alone. Look at now, for example – I found you lying like some creep in front of Yifan’s house, too scared to go inside. And me, I can’t hitchhike forever. I mean, do you even know how dangerous the outside world is? Anyways, Lu Han, are you going to let me come with you and, like, never let me go again?”

If it wasn’t already bad enough, Lu Han feels his face go even redder, his trembling hands not exactly helping to speak and say yes, a million times yes. Of course he can come with Lu Han and complete this cheesy romance manhwa they’ve been playing out the entire time. The only thing they’re missing are the rose petals flying over them and a kiss to seal the story. And since he’s the writer out the two of them and he promised there will be no more unfinished stories, Lu Han stomps to Minseok’s side, grabs the catboy by his forearms and stares deeply into his eyes.

“Are you going to kiss me now?”

Lu Han wants to slap that cheeky grin off his face and push him away, drive back to his smelly room and sulk for an entire week, but it’s Lu Han we’re talking about here and was he ever able to say no to Minseok.

“Lu Han?”

Except maybe Lu Han does push Minseok away, since Yifan has an awfully deep voice it scares not only Lu Han, but makes Minseok jump as well and turn to see a man standing in front of an iron gate, a shocked expression on his face.

“Yifan?”

“Why are you snogging a catboy in front of my house?”

“Why are you…bold?”

Yifan’s hand goes for his hairless top. He shrugs and says, “It’s easier to keep it this way.”

“It makes sense.”

“Why haven’t you called? I thought you were going to meet me somewhere in town or something,” Yifan says. He’s wearing a two-piece tracksuit, awfully similar to the one Lu Han wore when he moved out of Jongdae’s, and Lu Han only now notices the grocery bags in his left hand and house keys in the right. So, somewhere during his not exactly careful observation of Yifan’s place, the director somehow managed to sneak outside, walk down the front yard and even go grocery shopping – all of that without Lu Han noticing a single movement. Fear of failure and that damn writing must’ve blinded all of his senses.

Speaking of the writing, Lu Han remembers the reason he came to Yifan in the first place. As if he read his mind, Minseok gives his hand a reassuring grip and a slight push. Lu Han stumbles over his feet, making Yifan raise an eyebrow, still expecting an explanation for Lu Han’s odd behavior.

“I came to submit the manuscript.”

Not exactly the most subtle approach, but subtlety was never the word you could describe Lu Han with.

Yifan doesn’t seem impressed with the answer. He crosses his arms, the plastic bag hanging around his wrist making a clinking sound at the harsh movement.

“You haven’t mentioned that in your e-mail.”

“You haven’t told him,” Minseok hisses and Lu Han shakes his head.

“I figured out it would be better if we went over this in person.”

“More like you knew there wouldn’t be a reason for you to come if you asked me that way. Puppy eyes don’t work on me, Lu Han,” Yifan says. There’s no reason for Lu Han to be this disappointed, he honestly expected for everything to play out in exactly this manner, but that spark of hope Minseok and Sehun woke inside of him died the second he arrived in this town. Alone.

“But-“

“You knew you had a deadline, Lu Han. And you also knew what I’m like when it comes to that.”

“I only thought since we’re friends you’d let me pass this time.”

“We are friends, but this isn’t the first time. Do you even remember the things I let you pull through?”

“Yeah but,” Lu Han tries to say, but Yifan cuts him with a sharp look and raise of a hand.

“I am sorry,” is the last thing Yifan says to them, before he turns around and opens the gate to his yard. He reaches the door till a voice stops him from going inside.

“So you’re letting him go like that? What the hell!”

“It’s over Minseok, let’s just go back.”

“I can’t believe you’re giving up that easy. I won’t let you-“

“Minseok, don’t –“

“Oi, , I don’t we’re quiet done here.”

“Minseok!”

“Don’t worry, I can handle this.” With that said, Minseok pushes Lu Han out of the way, rolling his sleeves as he takes all the necessary steps to Yifan’s gate.

Yifan doesn’t seem to be intimated by Minseok’s pointy nails and height that barely reaches his shoulder – ears not included – or how easily Minseok skips the fence. Lu Han tries to run after him, but gets stopped when Minseok lets out a sharp, “You stay where you are.”

“And you are…?”

“It doesn’t matter who I am, but what you are.”

A smirk finds its way on Yifan’s lips. “And what that may be?”

“A huge egocentric that doesn’t care about his friends the slightest.”

“Watch your mouth,” Yifan warns and it only makes Minseok laugh. That seems to be the last straw since Yifan drops the plastic bag on the doormat and heads to meet Minseok halfway.

“Or you’re going to do what?”

“Oh I’m-“

Just as Lu Han was about to dash towards the pair and stop what might be the biggest scandal in Yifan’s career since the one with fried chicken, another voice, this one much softer, giving the impression of someone who’d just woken up, makes all of their attention turn towards the house where a man – a catboy no less – in purple pajamas squints at the morning sun.

“Yifan, what’s with all the noise?”

“Go back in the house Xing.”

“Yixing?”

“Minseok-ge?”

The catboy in purple pajamas doesn’t get a chance to process what just happened since Minseok’s already running towards him, pushing Yifan aside and throwing his arms around the slightly taller boy.

Lu Han also grabs the opportunity and sneak in the courtyard where equally stunned Yifan is trying to put his head around everything that just happened. The other catboy has his arms around Minseok as well, whispering something in his ear as Minseok hides his face in the curve of the other hybrid’s neck. Are those sobs Lu Han hears from Minseok?

Unlike Minseok, this catboy has a lighter shade on his tail and ears, auburn with gold hairs on the tip of his tail and collar of the same color. Lu Han didn’t get a look at his face though, too distracted by Minseok’s outburst, but if he heard correct… Could that actually be the friend Minseok’s been looking for all these years, a friend he longed for so hard? The friend he almost left Lu Han for.

A cough from Yifan, standing by his side, makes him look up and meet the taller man’s frown and creased eyebrows. He looks worried, gaze firmly fixed on the pair of hybrids standing by the door, even when he says, “Care to explain what just happened?”

“I shouldn’t be the one to do that.”

“Then who- hey!” Lu Han looks at Minseok and the other catboy escorting him inside the house, “Wait up! You can’t go without us. Yixing!”

~

Lu Han didn’t catch the time at which they went inside Yifan’s house, but he guesses they’ve must been lounging in the director’s  livingroom for hours now, considering Minseok just retold his entire life to Yixing and Yifan, not missing a single detail including the past couple of weeks he spent with Lu Han and everything they went through. Of course he doesn’t miss to tell the part where Lu Han got scared to death and almost pissed himself all over that faithful night on the farm, but he only gets a sympathetic smile from Yixing and a judging stare from Yifan. Speaking of which, ever since they settled in the room, Yifan hasn’t took a seat and has been walking around the room like an idiot, pushing at Lu Han’s button with his occasional coughs and trips to the kitchen where they could hear him messing with the dishes or opening the fridge.

It’s Yixing who snaps at him first. “Will you please take a seat? You’re distracting all of us.”

With a huff, Yifan finally sits next to Lu Han, the pair of catboys settled comfortably on the couch across of them. Minseok has a possessive arm around Yixing’s chest; the other boy gladly welcomed him in his arms, slapping Minseok’s hand away whenever the latter would tickle at the sensitive spots on Yixing’s neck.

Yifan’s frown only deepens.

“You’re face will stay like that,” Yixing says nonchalantly, not even looking at Yifan, and Lu Han’s pretty sure he already likes Yixing.

“Umm, sorry to interrupt you two,” Lu Han says, making all of them fix their attention to him since it’s the first thing he said in hours, “but I’m sure Minseok would like to know how you got here.”

Minseok nods at that and Yixing gives him a pat on the head at which Minseok only cuddles closer.

“After the lab I also got sent to some petshop in downtown Seoul. This one a bit more luxurious, I think. I could see ordinary people walk inside and look around, but those were only the ones sent by their bosses to make deals for them and do simple tasks, including finding a suitable pet that would bend their knee and serve their master properly. I was known to be the most obedient one out of all, too weak to fight anymore at that point, and it wasn’t long till I was given to the man you saw me with that day.

 Interesting is that I never knew I was fought over that much until Yifan had told me. I learned that my only way to escape was to do everything as my master told me and then find a perfect chance to flee as far away as possible. Unfortunately, my chances of escaping were thin and I spent my days inside the manor, away from my master. Before you think anything wrong, you should know that he never laid a hand on me. I was nothing but a trophy to him, an exotic kind he can show to his colleagues and brag about.

After you found me… Minseok, I can’t explain how shocked I was and scared at the same time. There wasn’t day I wouldn’t think about you, wondered what they have done to you, if you were lucky – if I can even call it that way –as me, but when I saw you fighting with the guards and screaming my name…

I couldn’t wait anymore. I knew you were in the town and it was that same night I tried to escape for the first time. I didn’t even make down the street before they caught me and decided I was too toxic and useless, unworthy of my master’s attention.

We got back to Seoul the same time as you. I was still living in my master’s house until I figured out why he was suddenly taking me out more often, showing my pretty silk robes to his clients and pointing out my traits and, apparently, amazing skills in bed. He was obviously trying to get rid of me, but no one bought the story. Why would he all of a sudden try to sell me when he was so possessive not days before that?

It’s that when Yifan steps in.”

Yixing stops in his narrative to look at Yifan, the man looking embarrassed at the mention of his name.

“Would you like to say what happened next?” Yixing asks and Yifan grunts. He looks uncomfortable with all eyes directed at him and, for someone that famous, it’s actually pretty ridiculous. Yixing only chuckles at him. “I’ll take that as a no, I guess,” he says.

“Okay, long story short; I don’t know how well you know Yifan, Lu Han, but he’s actually a huge sweetheart and a kind soul.”

Lu Han can’t help but snort at that and burst into fits of laughter, Minseok joining him. Yifan looks positively embarrassed, tripping over his own words to cut Yixing in his story when the catboy doesn’t stop talking about Yifan’s positive traits and all the good things he’s done for Yixing.

“He was the one that bought me off, saving me from getting into hands of a notorious businessman who liked to collect hybrids for god knows what. If I were to trust his words, he was at my master’s house “by accident” and he felt so bad for me that he had to take me in and let me escape my doom.”

When Yixing finally spares Yifan any more embarrassing details, Yifan quietly adds, his cheeks fluming red, “It was me who didn’t allow Yixing to wander the streets by himself and look for you. He’s been living with me for a year, but don’t think we haven’t tried to search for you. With my job comes a hasty schedule and you were uncatchable. If I knew it was you outside this morning, I wouldn’t have reacted like that.”

Minseok looks positively surprised when Yifan murmurs a quiet “I’m sorry” and excuses himself to get some fresh air. Only, Yixing stops him when he calls Yifan’s name and makes him sit on the sofa again.

“I don’t think we’re quite done here,” he says to Yifan, his hands messing with Minseok’s hair.

“I apologized, isn’t that what you wanted?”

Yixing shakes his head and points to Lu Han.

“Oh no

“Oh yes, Wu Yifan”

Lu Han looks between the bickering pair. Minseok doesn’t seem to notice them, too preoccupied with Yixing’s hand behind his ears. He’s practically glowing with Yixing pressing the right spots, purring loudly whenever Yixing would scratch under his left ear. Lu Han is definitely not jealous, nope.

Next to him, Yifan is fidgeting nervously under Yixing’s judging gaze. Finally, when Yixing threatens him with ripping some drawings, is when Yifan says, “fine!” crossing his arms like a child and sulking in the corner of the couch.

“So, what do you two have in plan now?”

At that, Minseok straightens on his couch to look at Lu Han. They’re both equally puzzled. Way too many things happened since this morning that they can’t decide on rest of their trip, not to mention they’ve reached their final stop. Minseok found his long lost friend, but it’s Lu Han’s plans that have failed. Lu Han still suspects Yixing’s words about Yifan apparently being a kind person, so kind he accepted a stray in his house, but couldn’t do the same to his university friend who was equal to a stray at the moment. It’s like Jongdae all over again.

So he tells the truth.

“I have no idea,” Lu Han confesses. “Our plan was to submit my manuscript and then wait for me to get enough famous and rich to buy a house and live a normal life, but I don’t think that’s possible anymore.”

“I don’t think so.” Yixing grins, allowing Minseok to lean back a little and carefully observe his friend.

“What do you mean?” Minseok asks. Lu Han wants to know the answer as well and Yixing only points his chin in the direction of Yifan still sulking in the corner of the couch.

When the director stays stubbornly quiet, Yixing just lets out a warning “Yifan” and the tall man finally speaks out.

“I’ll submit your stupid manuscript!”

“Wait, really!?” Minseok jumps, Lu Han too shocked to say anything. He pinches himself just to make sure this isn’t a dream, but ouch, it hurts and yeah it’s all definitely very real.

“Don’t get ahead of yourself, I’m only doing it because of Xing,” Yifan says, but Lu Han really doesn’t care. He only envelops Yifan in a short hug the latter doesn’t even get a chance to protest about since it’s over before he could even blink. Yixing is laughing at them, saying something about him being right about Yifan’s kind soul even with such scary eyebrows, Yifan protesting loudly, and all Lu Han wants to do is jump over the coffee table and pull Minseok in a hug because they’ve finally made it. Together.

~

Yixing doesn’t ask Lu Han about their plans again until the sun starts setting and they’re standing in front of Yifan’s house, Lu Han’s work submitted and Minseok by his side.

“I’m not sure, but I think we first need to find a place to stay,” Lu Han says, scratching the back of head awkwardly.

Yixing nods in understanding and before he could add about them being welcomed at Yifan’s place anytime, Yifan clamps a hand over his mouth and promises they’ll stay in touch. Minseok manages to sneak another hug from Yixing, assuring him they won’t get separated like that ever again.

By the time they say their goodbyes, Lu Han is waiting by the car with his back leaned on the door, one leg bent at knee and supported on the sill. He smirks when Minseok takes careful steps to him, hands clasped behind his back. The sun cast shadows over them as Minseok stops to inspect the interior over Lu Han’s shoulder, whistling as he pretends to ignore Lu Han’s eyes on him and gets into explain how amazed he is by this incredible ride that is Lu Han’s car with two flat tires in the past month, accumulator in its final days, a busted door handle and now a broken front seat.

“How do you even get the ladies into a car like that?”

“I don’t know, you tell me.”

“Must be your personality that blows them away.”

“Did that happen to you?”

“Nah, it was your red tracksuit with a dash of failed life choices and awful music taste.”

“Oh, you.”

“How about you kiss me first?”

Minseok mimics Lu Han’s posture as he lets his back rest on the backdoor, hands in pockets and dark ears twitching in amusement. Lu Han doesn’t say anything. He steps away to hover his body over Minseok’s, hands framing Minseok’s face, lips barely apart, but closer than ever. Over the rough material of his jeans Lu Han can still feel the soft but possessive tail that sneaks around his calf. His heart skips.

“There they are!”

“You’ve got to be ting me - again!? What do you want you mothe-“ Lu Han wants to growl out, but his voice dies when he turns and there are at least five different types of rifles pointed at them from a single black Audi, their owners all dressed in slick dark suits. It’s only when an older men steps out, dressed the same, the only difference being the leather suitcase handcuffed around his wrist, that it hits Lu Han. They make a brief eye contact, the old man and him, and Lu Han hears him tell the group, “It’s him.”

It doesn’t take long for Minseok to nod when Lu Han asks, “You up for another ride?” and pull both of them through the front door. Somehow Lu Han gets his car to start from the first try. It’s when he switches into the first gear that Minseok stops him with a hand on his and yells “Wait!”

Struck, Lu Han’s already ready to protest at the intrusion – their lives are at stake for ’s sake – but doesn’t manage to say a word when Minseok crushes their lips together, puts everything he has in one kiss and pulls away just as fast.

“Now we can go”

Lu Han doesn’t protest; he hits the gas pedal and the tires screech when he turns around the corner, hitting only one of many roads to come.

 


*submission and faithfulness

a/n: Aaand we’ve finally reached the end… I just want to thank all of you for reading this fic, subscribing and commenting! It means a lot to me <3

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask, I’ll be more than happy to answer here or on my tumblr ^^

 

edit: since many of you are confused by the ending, I’m just going to remind you of the guy from the second part, the one Lu Han saw dealing something in a dark alley while he was driving Jongin to his home; that’s him in the end lmao