Final

Colours, My Light

"You just have to do this!" A voice pleaded. 
"I already told you, I will not." Another snapped back, a slam of the door echoing around the house. 

~

  Monochrome. 
  Myungsoo's life was monochrome, and nobody could deny it. 
  A high school kid with average marks and always one that slept in class, he was about as boring as a person could get. 
  He had a thing for conserving energy, his motto being 'If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, make it quick'. Because of his rather unique way of thinking, he found himself a loner in class, after having not found the energy to make friends the first day of school. 
  His family life was nothing to marvel at either. An only child, his parents worked odd jobs just to ensure that Myungsoo had enough to eat. He rarely saw them and on the rare occurrence he did, it wasn't like they had tearful reunions of the sort. 
  In a sense, one could say that whilst Myungsoo was alive, he wasn't actually living. 
  But that changed when he met Sungjong. 

  The sunlight, Myungsoo concluded, was a pain. He rolled over, face in his pillows as he groaned, trying to escape the rays that penetrated through his window. 
  He sighed when his alarm started ringing, and moved sluggishly until his hand was on top of the offending object, effectively shutting it up. He glanced lazily at it, rolling slowly out of bed when he noticed the time. 
  7:10 AM, twenty minutes until the bus arrived. 
  Since Myungsoo's morning routine is pretty much a bore, I won't describe it. All you need to know is that he was almost late for the bus. Very late. 

  Myungsoo laid his head on the window, watching the world whirl past. He sighed as he heard words being thrown around the bus, slightly impressed at how much energy they had. Myungsoo shook his head slightly. 
  Idiots, he thought, they're going to be dead by the end of the day. 
  He amused himself by listening to their chattering, marvelling at how they could find such topics worth discussing.  
  "I'm telling you, her s are the real deal. No extra padding to serve as false advertisement at all!" A guy - Hakyeon, if Myungsoo remembered correctly- talked excitedly. Myungsoo heard a tsk, probably coming from Taekwoon. 
  "Just shut up already." The latter muttered, and Myungsoo nodded internally in approval. Taekwoon was his kind of guy. "Soojung's are definitely bigger." 
  Well, maybe not. 
  Myungsoo's ears perked when the noise on the bus died down, and he noticed that the bus had stopped. Curious, he looked up just as the mutterings rose again almost instantly. He found himself looking at a new boy around his age.   
  He wore a look of indifference as he scanned the rows, seemingly not affected by all the attention. He walked down the aisle, taking the seat next to Myungsoo, nodding as he did so. Myungsoo blinked once, looking away when he found himself incapable of summoning the energy to return the action. 
  As the bus rolled on, Myungsoo allowed himself a glance at the new student. From afar, he had looked like any other student that attended the school. Now, though, he found himself unable to take his eyes off him. 
  Soft brown hair that Myungsoo couldn't tell whether was dyed or not, his lips were a rosy pink and the mole on his nose made him attractive to Myungsoo in ways he didn't know possible. But despite his beautiful appearance, his eyes seemed empty, void of any light. 
  The guy turned to face him, and they stared at each other. Myungsoo vaguely noticed the noise in the bus die down as the loner and the new kid's silence filled the air with tension. 
  Then, Myungsoo did something that he - and everybody else that new about his boring life - never expected he would do. 
  "The name's Myungsoo." He said, bringing a hand up to the other guy. He stared at it, seeming to contemplate on something before raising his hand and taking it. 
  "Sungjong."
  He introduced himself first. 

  They said nothing to each other after that, as if they had agreed not to take their relationship farther than that. Myungsoo found himself regretting it slightly. 
  The first person he had introduced himself to in forever and he ruins it because he couldn't come up with more energy to start a conversation. He banged his head slightly on the desk, sighing. 
  Well, it wasn't like he really needed friends in the first place. He was just fine on his own, as he has always been. 
  He closed his eyes contently, ignoring the clicking of heels against floor as the teacher entered the room. He could faintly make out another pair of footsteps following it. 
  "Now class, today we will be having a new student with us!" The teacher's overly cheerful voice exclaimed. Myungsoo frowned in annoyance. It was too early in the morning to be so happy. 
  "Good morning, my name is Lee Sungjong, please take care of me." Another voice followed. Myungsoo made a sound, the voice and name both familiar to him. He searched his mind for a face but found himself unable to do so. 
  I'm pretty sure I know who this person is, Myungsoo thought. 
  "You shall sit beside Myungsoo. Myungsoo, please raise your hand!" The teacher exclaimed, and mentioned groaned. The absolute last thing he wanted to do was have somebody sit next to him. He heard a small chuckle. 
  "I know who he is." The new student said, and Myungsoo heard the scraping of chair as it was dragged against the floor. Confused, he looked up at the person and found himself face to face with the boy from the bus. 
  If he wasn't wrong, his name was Sungjong. Myungsoo was about to let his head fall back onto the table when it hit him. 
  "Y-you!" Myungsoo exclaimed, sitting up and pointing a finger at Sungjong, though he ended up hitting the poor guy on the nose instead. 
  "Oh my god I'm so sorry!" Myungsoo exclaimed, looking Sungjong over to see if there was anything he could do. The other had a hand to his nose, laughing despite the chuckle he let out. 
  "Glad you remember me," he said. Myungsoo was about to reply when the teacher cleared .  
  "May I carry on?" She asked impatiently, and Myungsoo nodded meekly, letting his head test against the table once more. He sent the disbelieving Sungjong a small smile before closing his eyes once more, sleep gripping him. 
  Worrying after Sungjong proved to have been too much for him to handle. 

  "I can't believe you can get away with sleeping in class like that!" Sungjong said, poking Myungsoo until he woke up. Myungsoo blinked, taking one look at Sungjong before turning his head the other direction. 
  "Shhhhh, let me sleep." Myungsoo murmured and Sungjong tsked in disapproval. 
  "You slept all the way through the first half of school. Aren't you going to get something to eat?" Sungjong asked. When Myungsoo shook his head, Sungjong sighed. 
  "I was hoping that you could show me around the school." He said glumly. Myungsoo turned his head slightly and opened his eyes, almost cooing at the sight of Sungjong pouting. Using all the mental restraint he could find, he stopped himself from pinching Sungjong's cheeks and stood up from his seat. 
  "Let's go, I could use with a sandwich." 
  All the other students could only stare in surprise at Myungsoo's change of attitude. 

  "Hey, what's with all the weird looks people are giving us?" Sungjong whispered to Myungsoo, making the latter sigh. He too, was bothered by the questioning glances. 
  "I'm not normally so... Active." Myungsoo explained, making Sungjong blink. 
  "How... So?" He asked. Myungsoo shrugged. 
  "If you continue hanging out with me, you'll see." He told Sungjong, settling himself down on an empty bench. 
  "Now, help me get a sandwich!" Myungsoo said, pointing towards the stores. Sungjong's eye twitched, taking the money from Myungsoo. 
  "I think I know what you mean already." 

  "You can't seriously be that inactive." Sungjong droned, poking Myungsoo with the sandwich he bought. It had only been a few minutes, and Myungsoo had already fallen asleep. 
  Sungjong smiled slightly, settling down beside Myungsoo and placing the sandwich in front of Myungsoo. 
  At least like this, with how often he falls asleep, he thought, Myungsoo won't notice.  
  Sungjong let his elbows rest on the table, and brought his own sandwich up with shaky hands. 
  The day had just begun and he was already tired. 
  He hated this. 

  Myungsoo was terribly content with his normal routine. Wake up, be almost late for the bus, greet Sungjong, spend the school day trying to conserve energy whilst entertaining Sungjong, before going back home and trying not to fall asleep while he texted Sungjong. 
  That's why, when he was suddenly pulled onto a different bus than the one he normally took, he glared at Sungjong. 
  "Sungjong, I want to go home," he whined, leaning his head against the younger's head. Apparently, Sungjong had skipped a year, which justified his exaggerated reaction over Myungsoo's ability to not care about his studies. 
  "Oh come on, you can't be that lazy." Sungjong said, pointing at his phone, "I'm bringing you here, it's going to be totally worth it." Myungsoo didn't even bother looking at the phone. 
  "How many times have I said this, I'm not lazy. It's called conserving energy! And since I don't have to go to whatever place with you, I don't have to do it." Myungsoo said, trying to remind Sungjong of the motto he stood by. The younger rolled his eyes. 
  "You're my friend, so you have to. Don't worry, I will make it as if that time is passing quickly so you can fulfil the second part of that messed up motto." Sungjong said proudly. Myungsoo sighed. 
  It was going to take a long time indeed. 

  Myungsoo opened his eyes to greet Sungjong as he did every morning, only to be met with the younger boy bent over his seat, hand held to his chest as he breathed deeply. 
  "Are you okay?!" Myungsoo exclaimed, patting Sungjong on the back gently in an attempt to help Sungjong. The latter waved his hand, shooing Myungsoo away. 
  "I'm... Okay." He breathed out, leaning back and closing his eyes, slowly relaxing. 

  "This ice cream is the best in Seoul!" Sungjong swooned as he shoved another spoonful into his mouth. Myungsoo rolled his eyes, laying his head on the table. 
  Sungjong had dragged him to a weird part of Seoul just so he could try ice cream. Myungsoo was about ready to flip. 
  "Say ah!" Sungjong exclaimed. Before Myungsoo even had the chance to react, a spoonful of chocolate ice cream was being shoved into his mouth. His eyes widened as he savoured the taste, mentally agreeing that it had to be the best ice cream to Seoul. Suddenly, Sungjong's face was right in front of his. 
  "Well, how is it?" Startled, Myungsoo sat straight up, blushing as he nodded meekly. 
  He didn't know what just happened, but all he knew was that his feelings for Sungjong may be developing into something more than platonic. 

  His feelings had in fact, been very non-platonic, as he would find out after the course of a few weeks. 
  Every time Myungsoo was around Sungjong, his heart beat so fast and loud he feared the younger boy would hear it. Every touch sent a tingle through his body and every smile made Myungsoo melt. 
  Everything about Sungjong screamed perfection and who was Myungsoo to not fall in love?
  But loving Sungjong proved to be very problematic, since he made it known that he was very, very clingy. 
  "We should totally go and get some cotton candy after school. I have this horrible craving for it." Sungjong said as he leaned into Myungsoo, head resting on the older's shoulder. 
  Myungsoo gulped, trying not to blush and give away what the simple action was doing to him. He nodded and shook Sungjong off, grunting. 
  "Alright, alright. I'm guessing it's my treat again, right?" He asked. The cheeky grin Sungjong sent him made him relent. 
  Who was he not to?

  It was unexpected. Neither knew that it would happen. Myungsoo, of course, wouldn't. But Sungjong might have had expected it. After all, he couldn't get away with it so long. But he never expected Myungsoo to find out by him falling unconscious on the floor. 
  "S-Sungjong?" Myungsoo whispered, face paling as the younger boy didn't wake up, no matter how much he shook him. His hands shook when he noticed the blood running from Sungjong's nose. 
  "Sungjong!"
  Nothing needs to be said. Myungsoo had never run so fast in his life. 

  "I can't believe you didn't tell me!" Myungsoo screamed, slamming his hand against the table as he stood up in anger. 
  He watched as Sungjong flinched, guilt flooding him. He ran a hand over his face, sitting back down as he apologised. 
  "How long?" He asked, causing Sungjong to look up at him. 
  "What?" He asked back, voice hoarse. 
  "How long have you had this?"
  "Long enough that I'm used to this," Sungjong answered back, chuckling dryly. Myungsoo deflated, hands coming up to grab at Sungjong's. 
  "What are the percentages of your survival?" He asked, though deep inside he already knew the answer. 
  "Without a heart transplant? Zero."
  He was right. 

  The list of patients were long. Terribly, terribly long. Especially since Sungjong had just signed up for a heart transplant. Myungsoo clenched his fist as he listened to the doctor. At the rate things were going, Sungjong had no chance of survival. 

  "Sungjong, we need to get you into the operating room now." The doctor informed the still sleepy patient. Sungjong groaned, getting out of his bed. 
  "What do you mean?" He asked, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. 
  "We found you a donor!" The doctor exclaimed, eyes shining. Sungjong gaped at him, before flailing around for his phone. 
  "Myungsoo... I have to tell-"
  "There's no time! You can tell him after the operation." The doctor told him firmly. Sungjong hesitated, before nodding. 
  Myungsoo was going to be happy. 

  When Sungjong awoke, he was back in his room, the beeping of the monitor telling him he was alive and well, with a healthy heart. Smiling, he slowly sat up in bed, watching as the doctor came in. 
  "How are you feeling today?" He asked, and Sungjong smiled despite the tiredness he felt. 
  "Great. What will make this day greater will be to tell Myungsoo all about this. Have you seen my phone?" He asked the doctor, not noticing the latter's face fall. 
  "About that..." He trailed off, the tone of his voice making Sungjong glance up. 
  "What's wrong?" Sungjong asked, heart beating fast as the doctor stepped closer, extending a piece of paper towards him. 
  "This is for you."

'To my Light,
Thank you for appearing in my life, and I will miss you greatly. 
I consulted the doctor on your chances of getting a heart transplant any time soon and he told me that your chances were far too slim, your chances of surviving zero at best. So I did the one thing I could think of. 
Sungjong. Before I met you, my life was monochrome. But when you came into my life, you entered like a ray of light. You made my existence worth it and you made bubbles float to my chest just at the sight of you. 
You brought colour to my monochrome life and I just- I don't want to go back there again. 
I know, that if you were gone, I wouldn't be able to take it. I have grown used to this vibrant world of your laughs and your smiles, and I rather die with them it being the last thing I see rather than black and white. 
Sungjong, my light, my everything. 
Do not grieve, for I have embraced you with all the love I could squeeze out from this useless soul. 
I will watch over you, and ensure your life be forever colourful. 
Please do not forget that I am always with you. My heart will always beat for you. 
I love you, I just want you to know. 
-Myungsoo

  Sungjong's hands shivered as teared rolled down his cheeks. 
  I know, Sungjong cried, I have always known. I just thought I would have enough time to say those words back to you. 

~

"You just have to do this!" A voice pleaded. 
"I already told you, I will not." Another snapped back, a slam of the door echoing around the house. 
  Sungjong refused to sign up for a heart transplant until he found someone to love. 
  But when he did, maybe it was better they hadn't met instead. 

A/N: Yup, I love writing sad stories. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK IN THE COMMENTS OKAY