Chapter 1

Night Terror

The doors of the little bubble tea store I worked at began to close, I stepped out onto the high street, waving to my Lily as she gets into her boyfriend’s car… sighing at the sight. I began to search for my earphones within my pocket, placing my fingers on all the sticky sweets and used tissues, shaking my head in disgust, mentally taking note to empty my pockets when I’m home.

Home. That’s all I wish I was at. I was tired and achy. I had a day at work. Not that working in a bubble tea store should be. I had my close friends there: Lily, Emi-Mae and Finny. Also the pay was good, best in the local area. Our manger treated us well, a little over generous but that’s why everyone loved him, besides for his general interest in everyone’s lives and well… he was hot! But the problem was his son. Everyone hated him. Besides Hani, but that’s because they have some sort of ‘thing’. It was disgusting if you ask me. Booty calls during shifts, and what makes it worse is that they don’t lock the office door. And, well, walking in on them doing it against the desk is something that would scar everyone for life. But that wasn’t the point. He was an arse. So demanding, “A Mi don’t spill the bubbles next time”, “A Mi pull your skirt down”, “A Mi unload the wagon”, one thing after another with him, there was no time for relaxing or chatting, it was serve the customer or make yourself useful, and not just on the shop floor either.

But besides having him as our boss for the day, it was also the customers that make it . Like this bratty teenager, I wouldn’t even call him that, he looked twenty going twenty-one and I had not met anyone so childish. “There is not enough bubbles in there”, “You didn’t warm it long enough”, “Oh I forgot I wanted tea in it, can you add the tea?”, “It’s cold”. It took half an hour for him to be fully satisfied with his drink, and then his friend wanted one! And what makes it worse; it was an hour before closing time.

As I walked around the corner, I began burying myself more into my coat as I continued to walk the roads. It was pitch black and freezing cold, definitely below zero. I looked at my surroundings, all that was around me were little convenience stores and local takeaways, illuminating the path I walked on. This place was all too deserted for my liking, not a single sound could be heard.

“You should never walk alone in the dark, remember the legend, the myth, when the clock strikes twelve, all hell lets lose.”

I recall what my brother said to me as I started high school. It had just been him and I, but as time grew on our priorities changed; he got scouted by an agency and, well, me… I’m just plain old me; the once partner in crime, the shadow, the one everyone just calls - and I quote - the other. Glancing at my phone, I saw that it read 23:49. I mentally mocked myself; no way can I walk home in eleven minutes. Looks like I’m going to find out whether the myth, the legend, is true.

It was said that creatures lurked in the darkness, they protect our streets but feed at night. They’d come out to play in the early hours of the morning. If you were out within that time, apparently you'd never return back alive.

And if you did… you were never the same again. 

Whatever that meant…

There were far too many articles to count of missing people, murders or of those put into mental homes, all of which were linked in some kind of way. All showed signs of seeing numerous figures that just weren't like everyday people. It was useless looking into it as the only people who had seen them had all gone insane and cannot remember anything.

As I continued walking down the road, I watched every store, all shop owners shutting their shops as quick as possible, as quiet as possible. Careful not to disturb whatever it is that lurks. A whisper, so faint I couldn’t catch it. I turned around and there was nothing there. Nothing. I gulped down. It’s just your mind, ignore it. Nothing existed; it was just a joke to help lower the crime rate. Definitely a joke.

Clinging harder onto my coat, I picked up my pace, wishing I that I had never volunteered for that night shift. I put my iPod on shuffle and continued down the road, winds picking up forcefully behind me. Every time I turned around, nothing was there. Each shop I passed by, their light would go out as though I held some power over it. The bustling of shop keepers were scrambling towards their cars and stepping on the gas, trying to get home as quick as possible. The noises of revving engines rang in my ears through the lousy music, which was not doing anything to calm my nerves. I envied those people.

I got to into the centre of town, street lamps illuminating the path like it was its prized possession. I was still fair distance away from home when my phone began to ring; looking at the caller ID told me that it was my brother. Feeling bitter, I answered it.

“Where the bloody hell are you?” He screamed down through the earpiece.

“Well hello to you too! I'm in the town anyway! Thanks for the lift, much appreciated,” I spat at him sarcastically, kicking a can that was dropped on the floor. I wasn't in the mood to be annoyed and he was doing a great job of it.

“Why the bloody hell are you there?! It's nearly twelve and you know what happens! I can't believe you'd be so stupid to do that. You should have called a taxi!” I roll my eyes at his ‘caring’ side. He didn’t give a really, some façade.

“Unlike you, brother, I have no money. I can't afford to just go places whenever I want to; but I would have done if you didn't cut my allowance!” I rolled my eyes at his logic. He's used to living the high life; everything was handed to him on a plate. For the record, I never envied him because the press following you around is just not something enjoyable but he always loved it and would find some way to be all centre of attention. I kept kicking the can along the pavement, kicking my frustration out.

“A Mi, just get your to our dorms, you're staying here the night.” I kicked the can even harder. I didn’t want to stay in there. Not again. I got flocked by a bunch of fan girls, but what makes it worse was s were all to, how do I put it, flirty, besides one: he was mean and would always find something to pick on me about.

“I’m not stopping there, no wayyyy! Not after last time, are you mental?! Besides, I’m not that far away from home, I’ll be fine. You should have picked me up, though, like you promised, or did you forget about me again? Like the fifteen other times you did.” I was fully mad now; he pushed me to limits I never thought I’d go to. I kicked the can really hard this time and it just dented. I sigh at myself for being so idiotic.

“A Mi, you’re coming to the dorms this instant! I am your legal guardian; you get your here right now! The door is unlocked. We’ll talk about this later, just get here safely, I-”

“Minho?” I whispered down the line.

“Minho!” I shouted down the line, getting frantic for a response. I looked at my phone.

It was gone.

The line was cut off.

Dead.

I had no signal.

The clock of the bell tower struck midnight.

The street lights all around me went out.

It was time…

 


A/N:

Hey!! Welcome to my first story

I appericiate you reading it and i'll try to update as regular as possible

Bye for now :) ~