Tale 7 : Good Start

The Tale of a Second Chance

11 February 2017 (Saturday), 2 p.m.

It has been nearly a month since I entered into a contract with LightUp Entertainment. Ever since then, I have been meeting a strict schedule after school for both my acting classes and fitness. It has certainly been tiring, but I enjoy it, as it is a simple routine.

One indirect benefit that came from this contract is that I get to go to the agency from school with Cassie every weekday. We entertained each other, as we always took the train to the agency from school.

Currently, I am attending to a magazine photoshoot in a small studio. The photoshoot was not anything special or glamorous. My picture would be placed in a random page within the magazine.

 

Photographer : That's great, Sejin-ssi. Don't open your eyes too wide, act a bit more... cute.

Sejin : Yes, sir!

 

Between a white background and the photographer, I was posing my body in a slightly y manner, but with an added cuteness, smiling brightly at the camera, while showing the 'peace' sign with my hands.

Among those that are in the studio, besides me and photographer, are the producers, stylists, lighting technicians, and many more.

I still find it unbelievable that it required this many people to have a photoshoot with a single model. Seeing them all hard at work encouraged me to do my best, so that I do not end up dissapointing them.

 

Photographer : And... we're done! Today's photoshoot is finally over.

 

Everybody, including me, began clapping hands as we celebrated the end of our photoshoot. I sighed as I felt relieved that it was over. It is always nerve-wracking to do a photoshoot alone, especially for long hours.

Normally, we would wait until the producers examine all the shots taken, but I had to leave the studio now.

 

Photographer : Your manager called earlier. He's waiting for you downstairs.

Sejin : Is that so? Let me get changed first.

 

I was wearing the clothes given to me for the photoshoot. I had a limited edition hoodie on, with a pair of black jeans.I had to return them to the stylist, now that it is all over.

 

Photographer : You can keep the jeans. It's just one pair.

Sejin : Really?!!

 

I was very happy that I got to keep the black jeans. However, I still had to return the hoodie, but that is all right because I enjoyed wearing it while I could.

Before I left the studio, I asked for everyone's attention. I had to show how grateful I was for their hardwork and how much I appreciated it.

 

Sejin : Everyone, thank you so much for all your hardwork! It has been less than a month since I became a model, but everyone I've ever worked with has made me feel at home. I'm very grateful and I hope we can work together again!

 

I clapped my hands again and everybody followed along. They also began saying how much they enjoyed working with me, and wished me goodbye.

 

Photographer : Just treat me to a drink the next time we meet, okay?

 

I laughed at the sudden request from the photographer.

 

Sejin : It's not my birthday yet, so I'm still a minor. I'll treat you to a meal instead!

 

I took my hand out, waiting to receive a handshake from him as a sign of agreement. He smiled and shook my hand almost immediately.

I was not sure if he was serious about the meal, but I would not mind if we get to meet up again.

 

11 February 2017 (Saturday), 2.30 p.m.

Inside a black van, my manager is driving me back to LightUp Entertainment.

 

Manager : Where do you want to eat?

Sejin : Wherever you want, hyung.

Manager : Yah... that's not fair. If it was me, I'd go for bulgogi, or samgyeopsal.

Sejin : Then let's go! They're bound to have gimbap, or vegetable side dishes. I can just order rice.

 

While talking to my manager, I was looking outside through the window.

 

Sejin : We go everywhere together. No point making only one of us happy. Let's take turns from now on. I'll decide where we eat next time.

Manager : Thank you, Sejin, but you don't have to be too considerate about me. Your health is the real focus here.

 

Although he was right, I was unhappy with that answer. As a result, the atmosphere in the car became quiet.

I began recalling the times I've spent with my manager. I have known him since my day one with the agency.

 

Sejin : You've been with me since I got my first work as a model.

Manager : Yes. Do you still remember it?

Sejin : My first photoshoot? For the clothing company sponsoring our agency?

Manager : Yes. Do you have an original softcopy or hardcopy of it?

Sejin : No, I don't. The producers forgot to share it with me.

Manager : I see...

 

My manager smiled as he suddenly had something in mind for me. At the next junction, he turned away from the path back to LightUp Entertainment.

I also smiled as I realized that he has decided to take me somewhere for a surprise. He always knows how to entertain me. In fact, it is not an exaggeration to say that he likes to do this sort of spontaneous things with me, as it often makes me smile.

After five minutes, my manager parked the van at the side of a road. I was confused as to where we were.

 

Manager : Look to your right.

 

I looked to my right to see a fancy clothing store... with a poster of me during my first photoshoot in front of it.

I immediately recognized it and was surprised as this was the first time I saw the pictures after the photoshoot.

 

Sejin : How did you know this was here?!!

Manager : I ran into it once by accident. I come here once in a while, to remind myself that I'm helping such a good kid to become a star.

 

I was touched by his words. I never knew he felt that way about me as my manager.

I also remembered how the photographer back then kept asking me to do cute poses, which I thought I executed too well.

 

Sejin : You just want me to always act cute, isn't it?

 

My manager laughed in response. He knew it was not a question he should answer.

As the van still has not moved, I continued to stare at the poster.

 

Manager : You can take your time and enjoy the poster. We've got time before we have to be back at LightUp.

Sejin : It's okay! Let's go now. What do we have to do there?

Manager : You'll have to rehearse for your first commercial advertisement. You'll also be meeting a drama producer. He's interested in casting you in the drama.

Sejin : Really?!!

Manager : Yes, and I heard that they've already casted Dahyun for a minor role in the drama.

Sejin : Is she a popular actress?

 

My manager laughed loudly as he realizes that I had no idea who Dahyun is. He forgot that I knew very little celebrities.

 

Manager : Dahyun!... from TWICE!

Sejin : Ahh... TWICE...

 

I have heard of TWICE. I listened to a couple of their songs before, but I was not familiar with their members. That goes the same for any other K-pop groups.

I took this opportunity to make a joke and asked my manager a question while looking away. My voice was so soft, it only made it funnier when my manager heared my question. 

 

Sejin : Is she really pretty?

 

My manager laughed once again, as I rarely show a flirty side to anyone.

 

Manager : You're very dangerous. It's the quiet ones that girls should watch out for.

Sejin : Not at all, hyung! I was just joking around.

 

11 February 2017 (Saturday), 3 p.m.

We have finally arrived at LightUp Entertainment. My manager stopped the van in front of the entrance door.

 

Manager : I'll go park the van first. You can go ahead and wait for me in the lobby if you want.

Sejin : All right. I'll wait for you.

 

I took my bagpack and left the van. I watched my manager as he drove away to park the van.

Once I entered the building, I was immediately called out by a group of four guys, sitting on the couch by the lobby.

 

Sky : Yah! Hoobae!

 

I was surprised by the guy's sudden screaming. I was also unsure if he was talking to me.

 

Sejin : Me?

Sky : Yes, you! Come sit with us!

 

I was hesitant at first, as they looked scary and intimidating, but I did as they asked.

As I sat in the middle of the couch, I noticed that they are all wearing workout clothing. Are these guys idols? They cannot be trainees, as he just called me his "hoobae".

 

Sky : Where did you just come from?

Sejin : A... a photoshoot.

 

They laughed at my sudden stutter. Why am I so scared of them?

 

Sky : Oh? You're not a trainee?

Joo : Hyung, he's obviously not! He has makeup on!

 

I forgot that I still had my makeup on. Out of reflex, I covered my cheeks with my hands, feeling embarrassed from having my makeup noticed.

 

Q : Ah... so cute! You should apply to be a trainee. Can you sing?

Sejin : A little.

Sungho : No, hyung! The real question is... can he dance?

Sejin : I've never danced professionally, nor have I ever taken any dance lessons.

 

The guys looked at each other, wondering how to respond to me.

 

Sky : He's young, so he has a lot of time to learn.

Sejin : You guys are not joking? I can change to become a trainee?

 

I was honestly surprised as I did not know that was possible. Hearing that I could debut as an idol, I started imagining things in my head.

 

Sky : Just sign a new contract and cancel the previous one. Trust us! We've been here since the agency was born.

 

He patted me on the back. Out of all the four guys, I could tell that he is the one that talks a lot in the group. He seems so friendly and fun too, which was comforting to know.

Suddenly, another person showed up to the lobby. He came down from the elevator and walked straight to the couch, wearing similar clothes as the other guys.

 

Jinho : What are you all doing to the hoobae?

 

To my surprise, the person who talked to me before immediately stood up.

 

Sky : Nothing, hyung!

 

While those two were talking, I asked the guy next to me about the person, whom just arrived.

 

Sejin : Who is he? Your leader?

Q : Yup! His name is Jinho, the leader of De1. He was the first trainee to join LightUp Entertainment. He is a really cool guy!

Sejin : Ah... is that so?

 

I looked at him and saw how cool and good-looking he was. He was completely scolding the other person, eventhough he did nothing wrong to me.

Jinho saw me staring at him and he asked if the others were disturbing me.

 

Jinho : The kids didn't harass you, did they?

 

Never missing an opportunity to joke around, I began acting scared and sad. The acting lessons are definitely paying off, but not the way my teacher would have imagined.

 

Sejin : They were... asking for my money.

 

Jinho probably knew I was joking around, but he followed along anyway, grabbing the other guy by the collar.

 

Sky : Not at all, hyung! He's lying! He took money from us!!!

 

Everybody else, including me, laughed at the joke he fired back. Jinho immediately let him go, as he was laughing too hard to continue. He imagined how an innocent-looking kid like me, bullied the four of them for money.

 

Sejin : Thank you very much, Jinho sunbaenim. They took good care of me while I was waiting for my manager.

Jinho : Is that so? I'm glad then. Please call me 'hyung'. Let's drop the formalities.

Sejin : Yes, hyung!

 

Suddenly, Jinho saw their manager calling for them outside the building.

 

Jinho : We have to go, guys! We're going to be late!

Sungho : You're the one who's late, hyung! We were waiting for you!

 

Before he left, Jinho took out his hand towards me, offering a handshake.

 

Jinho : Take care of yourself, mmm...

Sejin : Ah! My name is Yoon Sejin.

 

I got off from the couch and shook his hand.

 

Jinho : Take care of yourself, Sejin, and do your best!

 

After that, he ran off with the other guys. I guess they have a busier schedule than me, since they are a K-pop group.

As I looked at them walking away, a funny thought occurred to me, making me smile.

 

Sejin : So... they are De1. I wonder if LightUp has a girl group too?