Untouchable Heart

Untouchable Heart

           Lee Hi opened the studio glass door and saw Bobby was sitting on a black Chaise a Bureau with a serious face. He was holding a pencil, writing on a piece of paper laid on the table.

          “Annyeong,” Lee Hi greeted with hoarse voice.

          “O… Annyeong,” Bobby stared at Lee Hi’s bared face. “You looked pale. Sick?”

          “A bit fever. But I am OK.” Lee Hi took a seat in front of Bobby. “Have you heard the melody?”

          “Yeah. It’s nice. I really like it,” he paused. “Have you taken medicine?”

          “Yes, I have.”

          “Don’t push yourself. Take some rests,” Bobby concerned.

          “Yes, seonsaengnim.” Lee Hi nodded a bit. Bobby smiled at her behavior.

          “Are you working on the lyric?”

          Bobby deeply sighed. “Yeah… But I haven’t found the suitable one.”

          “Thank you for helping me.” Lee Hi stared Bobby’s eyes with a smile drew in her face. Bobby stared back at her eyes.

          “I… am happy to help you. Really.” Bobby blinked her eyes fast. He then tried to focus a paper in front of him. He was surprised with sudden beat in his chest.

          Ten minutes has passed with silent. Lee Hi laid down her head on the table, stared at Bobby whom with serious face scribbled words on the paper.

          “How can I work while you are staring at me?” Bobby settled.

          “Oops. Sorry,” Lee Hi giggled. “It’s fun to see your serious face.”

          Bobby suddenly fell silent. Again. There was something strange inside his chest. Something that made him blushed and speechless.

          “You mean, it’s fun to see me stressful?” he grumped.

          Lee Hi smiled brightly. “I am just kidding.”

          Bobby smiled. He used to think Lee Hi was a quiet person whom rarely smiled, but it was a wrong idea. She just did not talk much with people she just met. The beats in his chest were getting stronger while he looked at her smile. He really liked staring at her smile drawn on her face for unknown reason. He just liked it and it made him happy. He then wrote on the paper:

밝은 미소 그 아름다움 땜에 계속 보고 있자니 눈이 멀었어 잠깐

(Because of your bright smile and your beauty, I kept staring at you and I was blind for a moment)

          “Find an inspiration?” Lee Hi asked curiously before she continuously sneezed.

          “Are you OK?” Bobby asked worriedly.

          “No.” Lee Hi sneezed again.

          Bobby took some tissues from tissue box on the table near the sofa and gave it to her.

          “Thank you.”

          “Have you had dinner?” Bobby glared on the clock hang on the wall above the glass door. 9.37 p.m..

          “No. Excuse me.” Lee Hi snorted.

          “Let’s have a warm soup.”

          “I am on diet.”

          “No one will know you have dinner. I will keep it as a secret,” Bobby insisted.

          Lee Hi stared at him doubtfully. “I… have a practice after this?”

          “I think you just had a practice.”

          “Self-practice?”

          Bobby sighed. “If you are sick, how can you give your best on your performance?”

          Lee Hi grinned on Bobby’s lecture.

          “Don’t just smile. Let’s have a dinner. Well, at least, accompany me having dinner.”

          “OK. Let’s have dinner.”

          Bobby smiled. “I know a good restaurant near here.”

***

          Bobby and Lee Hi sat on a small restaurant one block from YG building. There were only a family consisted of parents and a little son, a lonely office worker, and them. They sipped their chicken soup together.

          “Is it good?”

          “Yup,” Lee Hi answered shortly. She really enjoyed her dinner.

          Bobby laughed at her. “You can have my soup if you want.”

          Lee Hi shook her head quickly. “You really want to ruin my diet,” Lee Hi grumped.

          “Not me. The soup does,” Bobby .

          They laughed together.

          “How’s IKON doing?”

          “We are doing well. B.I. has a lot of ideas for our new songs.”

          “You guys seem busy, especially you.”

          Bobby smiled. “What about you? You are also busy with your new album.”

          “I want to give my best for my album. Tablo oppa and Tukutz oppa give me a lot of help and advice.” She chewed chicken before she continued. “Dean oppa also helps me a lot.”

          Bobby stopped sipping the broth.

          “He gives me good songs. I am so thankful he wants to help me.” She took another sipped. “This soup is really nice. I will come here next time.”

          Bobby chewed chicken in silent. He did not know why he felt uneasy inside when Lee Hi mentioned Dean. He just did not like it. He was… jealous? He shook his head to erase that thought.

          “Why?” Lee Hi questioned.

          “Why…. What?”

         “You shook your head. Is there something wrong with the soup?”

          “No… No… I am just thinking of something.”

          Lee Hi was chewing her food when looked at Bobby with “what are you thinking about?” drew on her face. Bobby continued, “I wish I can give you a song and we do collaboration.”

          “You don’t have to do that. I am so grateful you want to help me with this one,” Lee Hi said with widely smile. “But, I am waiting for it.”

          “Just wait. I will make one,” Bobby promised.

          “Really? Really?! OK! Call!”

          Bobby smiled at her.

          “I don’t want you to collaborate with any female singer.”

          Bobby raised his eyebrows. “Why?”

          “I wanna be the first.” Lee Hi said while sipping her chicken broth.

          “Well, I have done it with Jang Hana. Also… with SuHyun. HiSuhyun. Remember?” he was flustered by her sudden talk.

          “No. I mean as a duo. Only you and me.” Lee Hi took another spoon of chicken broth.

          “I think we are doing it right now.”

          “With your own produced song.” Lee Hi stared at Bobby with a serious face before she ate her soup again.

          Once again on that day, Bobby fall silence. He did not know what to say. He stared at Lee Hi who was innocently enjoyed her food. She did not know how many times she had made him felt uneasy that day. He put down his spoon, then put his left hand on the chest and raised his right hand. “I promised I will make Lee Hi as my first duo collaborator.”

          Lee Hi opened his mouth in disbelief. She laughed. “You have made your promise at…” she paused, quickly glanced at her watch on her left wrist. “10 p.m. sharp. You have to fulfill this. OK?!”

          Bobby laughed together with her. “I promised. Let’s do pinky promise.”

          They spent their dinner with the thought of their collaboration and future …

***

          They were walking together to the studio when suddenly Lee Hi’s phone snoozed. Bobby did not want to know who was calling, but his eyes quickly glanced on the screen and he saw a name. Dean.

          “O, Oppa,” Lee Hi answered the phone.

          Why do you have to greet him like that?

          “Me, I just had my dinner.”

          I think you don’t want anybody know you are having dinner!

           “Yup, I will take the medicine after this.”

          Wait… What? He knows Lee Ha Yi is sick?!

          Lee Hi giggled. “Don’t worry. I won’t forget.”

          Why are you so happy, Lee Ha Yi?

          “No. I will have self-practiced before I go home.”

          Bobby rolled his eyes. Why is it matter what she will do after this?

          “Bobby oppa is thinking hard about the great rap lyric for this.” Lee Hi glanced at Bobby. Bobby was dithered by her sudden action. “Yup, I will. See you on Friday. Bye.”

           “Who?” Bobby pretended he did not know who phoned her.

          “Dean oppa. He asked about the song’s progress. I said you were doing hard for this.”

          Are you sure just that? Bobby nodded. “I heard that.”

          They parted away. Lee Hi went to a dance studio and Bobby went back to the studio where he worked in.

          “Bye,” Lee Hi regarded.

          “Bye,” Bobby replied without looked at her.

***

          It was 11.04 p.m. Bobby faced the scribbled paper with uncomfortable feeling. He could not think of anything. He did not know what happened with him today. He always liked Lee Hi’s smile, so it supposed to be not a new feeling for him. But, being… jealous? It was the very first time he felt that. Maybe it is because I cannot give her a song like Dean does. He assured himself. Maybe.

          He then remembered how he felt a bit disappointed when Lee Hi picked B.I.’ team than his. Bobby shook his head. At that time, I did not know her well. I am just her fan who loves her voice. Yeah… It’s like you fail to collaborate with your favorite artist. He grabbed the pencil and once again spoke to himself. It’s nothing. Yeah… It’s nothing. Just because you love her voice, it doesn’t mean I… love her. I never feel jealous when she was close with boys. He breathed heavily. Am I? He questioned himself.

          Suddenly, Bobby peeved. “She asked me to collaborate with her while she had collaborated with many artists. How is it possible?” he completely spoke up his feeling. He sighed. “What are you doing to me, Lee Ha Yi?” He felt crazy.

          It was 11.43 p.m. Bobby, who was lying his head on the table, opened his phone after it periodically rang notifications from a communication application on his phone. IKON group chat was talking about their upcoming schedules and Tablo reminded him about the recording on Friday at HIGHGRND studio. While he was replying those messages, he received some chats from Lee Hi. His thumb stopped for a moment before it moved to open the chat.

Go back to take some rest

Thanks for the dinner

You should take rest too

Fighting!

(cheer up emoji)

          He was smiling when he read her chat. He felt sudden happiness inside. He put down his phone and reclined on the Chaise a Bureau. He re-read the lyric which Lee Hi sang. He then closed his eyes and replayed his memory with Lee Hi on that day. He slowly reached the pencil and began to write.

***

          “Bobby, are you ready?” DJ Tukutz asked.

          “Yes,” Bobby answered from the recording room. His right hand was grabbing the paper full of lyric and his left hand was trying to fix the headphone position.

          “Let’s do this,” Tablo said.

          “Oppa, fighting!” Lee cheered.

          “Bobby fighting!” Dean who sat beside Lee Hi cheered him up.

          Bobby closed his eyes. The music was played and he rapped right in his part.

 

밝은 미소 그 아름다움 땜에 계속 보고 있자니 눈이 멀었어 잠깐

(Because of your bright smile and your beauty, I kept staring at you and I was blind for a moment)

너는 그녀들과의 저울질에도 항상 무거워서 가벼움을 원했었나 봐

(Because of the weight of those other girls, things got too heavy and you wanted to be light)

모든 남잔 새로운 길을 반갑게 생각하지 매일 밤이 똑같았으니까

(Every guy gets happy with a new road because every night is the same)

You only missin’ home when you hit the road

Ye you only know when you let her go

that your still in love with her

지겹게 반복됐던 우리 사투

(Our fights were a tiring cycle)

그녀들과는 우리 반의반도

(Those girls aren’t even half of half of us)

안되더라 왠지 너가 자꾸

(But in all aspects, you were up a notch)

모든 면에서 우월하더라 한 수

(I’ve just been out for a while)

잠시 외출그 뒤에 안 건 soulmate이 있다면 너가 나의 짝꿍

(But I realized that if there is a soulmate, you’re mine)

이미 늦었다면 내가 기다릴게

(If it’s too late, I’ll wait)

처음 너를 만났었을 때 그대로 ye

(Just like the time we first met)

          “Joha!” Tablo screamed.

          “Is it OK?” Bobby asked.

          “This is great. It’s done!” Tablo clapped.

          Bobby came out. He saw all of them were clapping for him. He saw Lee Hi was smiling at him.

          “O… Joha. Bobby oppa jjang,” she said, gave him two thumbs up.

          Bobby smiled at them as happy as he can. He gave all of his heart for this… for her. Everybody in that room listened to the recording Bobby’s recording once again. While listening, Bobby saw Dean and Lee Hi were staring and smiling to each other. Bobby tried to ignore it, but something on his chest could not be lied. The uncomfortable feeling came again.

          “It’s great, bro,” Dean said. “Thank you for helping.”

          “No problem.”

          “Thank you, oppa,” Lee Hi said thankfully.

          Bobby nodded and smiled to her. “Well, I have to go.”

          “Why so fast? Let’s grab something,” Tablo said.

          I don’t want to be here for long. Bobby grumped inside.

          “Do you have schedule after this?” Lee Hi asked.

          “Yeah,” Bobby lied. “I also have something to do before that, so… it’s better to leave earlier.”

          “Can’t you stay for a moment?” Lee Hi asked. She stared at him with pleaded eyes.

          Yes. Bobby thought for a moment. “No.”

          Lee Hi pouted her lips. “OK then.”

          Bobby smiled widely at her. “I have to go. Bye.” He bowed to Tablo and Tukutz.

          “Thank you, Bobby.” Tablo and Tukutz said together.

          “Thanks, Bobby.” Dean said.

          “I will let you know if the song has finished,” Tablo said.

          “Yes, thank you.”

          Bobby walked out from the studio. He exhaled deeply, trying to release the uncomfortable feeling inside his chest.

          “Why are you so fast?” Bobby’s manager asked him when he jumped into the car.

          “The recording went well.”

          “So, where will you go after this?”

          “Back to dorm?”

          “OK.”

          The car slowly left the HIGHGRND building. Bobby put his earphone on his ears and tried to sleep.

          “If it’s too late, I’ll wait. Just like the time we first met…  Just like the time we first met.”

***

          Lee Hi reached the paper which Bobby left on the wooden table. She silently read every word written there. Once again, she felt a butterfly on her chest was flying and tickling her. She smiled.

          “What’s wrong?” Dean asked.

          “No. This lyric is great.” Lee Hi answered.

          Dean raised his eyebrows. “Oh… Bobby’s. Yeah.”

          “Dean, what is your order? I forget it.” Tukutz asked.

          “A chee...”

          "Ya," Tablo cut him. "You order it by yourself. Your order is too complicated to be true,” Tablo said.

          Everybody in that studio laughed on what Tablo said. Lee Hi smiled. She was still staring at the Bobby’s paper. While everybody was busy ordered their snack, Lee Hi silently folded the paper and kept it in her pocket.

***