New Kid

Blooming Flowers

This past summer felt like the longest summer I've ever had. Things happened so quickly that I seriously felt like I was attacked.

“Nice to have you back Marcos,” the teacher greeted me, “But please take off your cap when in class,”

“Yes sir,” I obeyed.

I could see Lovely Rose in the corner, not looking at me but at the new boy. She used to secretly steal glances of me back in the day. She always thought I never knew it before we were a couple. But could anyone not see? Lovely Rose was an open book when she liked someone. To me, it was as clear as daylight. You'd have to be extremely dumb to not see it.

 

 

Lovely Rose and I. We used to be a “we” but not anymore. We dated during most of our sophomore year until we realized we weren't the best choice for each other. We hindered each other from growing. Maybe because we are too alike.

“You're staring, Marcos Mahinay,” Lily Anne caught me.

How could I forget Lily Anne likes to sit at the back unlike Lovely Rose that sits up front because of her eyesight?

“Don't tell her, please,”

“Only because you said please.”

I didn't have lingering feelings for Lovely Rose. I didn't want her thinking I did. If anything, I missed our friendship more than our romantic relationship.

“It's the first day of your guys' senior year so I'm sure you all know each other by now,” Mr. Cole started class

“We have a new kid,” Lovely Rose said without even raising her hand

“I was getting there, Miss Crisostomo,”

“It didn't seem like it.”

That's the Lovely Rose I know. Mr. Cole looked at the new kid and gestured he stand up.

“Hello, I'm Jeon Wonwoo.”

What a shy one, I thought. But then again, what else is he suppose to say, being he is the only one that had to introduce himself.

“Hi Wonwoo. I didn't get to introduce myself earlier. I'm Lovely Rose,” she flashed him a smile

“You can do your self introductions after class, Miss Crisostomo,”

“But Sir, he's new here. Don't you want to welcome him with hospitality?”

“Hi Wonwoo! I'm Lily Anne,” stood up Lily Anne, “You can call me that or Lily but never Anne,”

“Oh hell,” I muttered, “Nice to meet you, Wonwoo. I'm Marcos.”

I kicked JB's seat for him to go next. He stared at me, not wanting to do it without Mr. Cole's permission.

“Do it,” I told him

He sighed before standing up.

“Hey man. I'm JB,”

“Okay okay. Everyone take turns introducing yourself to Mr. Jeon.”

Mr. Cole took a seat, defeated by Lovely Rose while Wonwoo stayed standing up, bowing after each person's introduction.

 

 

Without realizing it, first period ended quickly. I learned nothing about calculus, but I did learn the new boy's name and Lovely Rose's piqued interest.

“Welcome back, Mahinay.”

I was still sitting down when I received a light pat on my shoulder. I was too spaced out to even notice her coming my way. It was so like Lovely Rose. Cool and simple.

“Glad to be back,”

“I'll see you around.”

She left with Lily Anne clinging onto her arm as usual.

“Do you think she means that in a I want to get back with you way?” JB asked me as I stood up

“No. That's not her style. And it's been too long since we broke up,”

“You do know some people don't move on that fast, right?”

“Yes, but I do know Lovely Rose. She doesn't want me back,” I paused, “As her boyfriend. The same way I don't want her back as my girlfriend. I just want us to be good friends again,”

“Excuse me,” the new kid came out of nowhere

“He's weird,” whispered JB

“He's just new,”

“Did you see how Lovely looked at him?”

“Do YOU like Lovely Rose?”

“No,”

“Then stop talking about her,”

“My bad.”

Lovely Rose isn't only my ex girlfriend. She's also the person that knows and understands me the best. How do I earn back the friendship that I failed to keep?

 

 

 

I'm the new kid in the block again. When will I ever stop being that? It's getting exhausting moving from one country to another. It's another first day in a new school for me. I wish this day would just end even though it's barely lunch time. I scanned the cafeteria, unsure of where to sit. I hate doing this almost every year. It's uncomfortable. It makes me think back to this morning. It was really awkward that I had to stand throughout my classmates' introductions. It's because of that Lovely Rose girl. I keep bumping into her since I've arrived in Mayland High.

“Hey Wonwoo,” it was the voice of the girl named Lily Anne, “Do you want to sit with us?”

I carefully turned around, tray at hand, as I faced her.

“If that's okay with you,” I replied.

I've learned through the years that one must accept whoever offers you their friendship. You can't be picky. Plus, I'm too shy to ever make the initiative.

“Does Lovely Rose scare you?” Lily Anne suddenly asked me while we were walking

“Um, no.”

Why is she asking me such a random question? Right when we're walking towards Lovely Rose too.

“Good,” was all she said after.

I looked at Lovely Rose whose eyes were focused on the food, but it seemed like her mind was somewhere else.

“Look who I found,” Lily Anne said enthusiastically to get her attention.

Lovely Rose looked up and gave me a faint smile.

“I'm not sure if it's best that you did this, Lily,” she told her friend, “You know how people are in this school. Wonwoo might get dragged down along with us.”

I had no idea what Lovely Rose was talking about but she sounded worried for me. Me, that she barely met.

“Hey Wonwoo. It's not that I don't like you but sitting with us might not be the good choice,” she told me

“What nonsense are you talking about now, Lovely Rose?” it was Marcos, “Sitting with you is a privilege,” he gave a thumbs up as he sat next to her

“Marcos, what are you doing?” she looked at him confused

“Hey man,” JB greeted me and immediately sat down across from Marcos, “You sitting or nah?”

As a response, I sat down next to him even though I was lost.

“He'll be fine, Lovely Rose. If anything, people will probably be scared to bully him seeing that he's sitting with you,” Marcos said

“Um, I'm not sure what exactly is going on here, but I think sitting with Lovely Rose is indeed a privilege. She's been very nice to me since I came and she's saved me from the struggle of deciding where to sit for lunch.”

Did I really just say all of that out loud? Am I thinking straight?

“I like him,” JB said while munching on his food “And will you sit down already,” he tugged on Lily Anne's wrist

“He's got a lot to learn,” Marcos said with a smile on his face.

Lovely Rose remained quiet. It was my first time seeing her lose her composure.

“First thing's first,” Lily Anne started as she struck her straw through her juice box, “Lovely Rose is considered the school's resident bad girl,”

“And Marcos is kind of her male counterpart,” added JB

“So, um, are you two dating?” I managed to ask

“We did,” answered Marcos

“What is going on here?” Lovely Rose seemed baffled herself

“But they're both actual softies,” Lily Anne giggled

“But it helps that no one thinks that so no one messes with them or their friends,” continued JB

“Which includes you now,” Marcos finished

“Brother!”

A boy was suddenly behind Marcos with his hands on Marcos' shoulder. Marcos sighed and JB grinned.

“Brother?” Lily Anne and Lovely Rose said simultaneously

“Jackson, sit with us,” Marcos told the stranger

Usually a person would sit where there is space but the guy insisted to make Marcos move so he could be between him and Lovely Rose.

“Hello there,” Jackson greeted Lovely Rose, “I'm Jackson.”

This guy is new too? But he is Marcos' brother?

“Hi Jackson. I'm Lovely Rose,”

“I heard a lot of people saying your name and my brother's name earlier. They kept asking each other if you two were dating again,” he then turned to Marcos, “I didn't think you were dating anyone. You seem so serious.”

Marcos was right. I have a lot to learn. This time around, I think I bit off more than I can chew.