that girl who took her breath away.

There, but never Here.
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Nayeon unnie, please..."

Mina knocked on the door repeatedly, her knuckles red from the constant striking. The hollow sound reverberated throughout the empty living room, which was once bright and lively. The sofa where they sat together, their bodies huddled against each other underneath a blanket while watching "The Conjuring". The balcony, where they used to spend long nights gazing at the stars above, pouring their hearts out to each other. Her room, where they occasionally had awesome sleepovers with their bunch of girls, screaming their lungs out to "Bang Bang Bang". But now, that room was locked to the outside world, and Mina who was on the verge of tears could not help but to think of the worst scenarios.

"Nayeon unnie... let me in, will you?"

She pleaded once again, the tears now rolling down her cheeks. Her prayers were answered, however, as there was a soft click at the doorknob. Mina rushed in without a thought, hugging the broken and bent girl who remained still without an expression. She could feel her bones sticking out of her thin, fragile body, and it broke her and tore her apart. How long had she been starving for?

She liked Nayeon. Heck, she loved Nayeon. She loved Nayeon so much, so freaking much that her life revolved all around her. To Mina, she meant the world, but maybe Mina didn't mean anything to her at all.

 

that girl who took her breath away.

Sweat dripped from her forehead as she became one with the music, overpowering the dance studio with her sharp and precise moves, executing each one perfectly on the beat. She felt herself improving and getting better, as compared to the first time she started dancing to this genre. Transiting from ballet to hip-hop certainly wasn't easy, but Mina decided that 11 years were enough, and she wanted a change in her current routine. That spurred her to join the university's hip-hop club, where the captain, Yoo Jeongyeon, took a liking to her. Right now, she was practicing for an upcoming dance competition, one of Seoul's largest underground events, as a member of Jeongyeon's dance group, L.O.A.

"Job well done, Mina. You managed to pull it off quite well. I've never seen such elegance in a hip-hop choreography though. You could actually beat Momo," Jeongyeon chuckled softly, nodding in approval, while the blonde gave her a It's-Never-Going-To-Happen look. "Thank you," Mina scratched her head and smiled sheepishly at her captain's kind words. 

"Yah, I'm the HIRAI MOMO. The best dancer in the whole of Korea and Japan. Ain't nobody gonna beat me, especially not the youngest one. Though you know your unnie loves you~" Momo casually wrapped her arms around Mina, making kissy faces near her cheek, the latter shaking her off with a laugh.

"Ew, you Japanese lesbian." Sana snorted, wrinkling her nose as a joke.

"X'cuse me, you're part of the J-line. And the only lesbian is you. I know you, Minatozaki-san." Momo retorted back. "The girl's right here, isn't she?" Her last sentence made in japanese which only they, excluding Jeongyeon, could understand. She side-eyed Sana before raising her eyebrows at their dance captain, who was obviously lost in the conversation. Sana slowly turned red, mouthing the words "stop it," and as if she knew what was coming for her, Momo tried to escape, running towards the door, but not before earning herself a jab in the ribs. "Ouch." She doubled up and rolled across the floor, exaggerating her painful facial expression. Mina could not help but laugh at this situation. Dance practices with these bunch of people were always fun, and it served to her as a breather from all the studying she did. She wouldn't have it any other way. 

"Say, since our dear baby did so well today, why don't we treat her to a sumptuous dinner. I know a good place with good jokbal," the blonde quipped, her eyes lighting up at her own words, her mind starting to wander into the realm of glistening pig trotters, dipped well in soy sauce and spices. "And by good I mean seriously awesomely WOW. Besides, we didn't exactly give her a welcome party." 

"No can do, girls. I've a meeting with my bestie tonight. We planned this since ages." Jeongyeon sighed, feeling sorry towards her group members.

"Aww come on, aren't we your besties too. I mean, look at Mina. Can you deny such a cute little thing?" Momo eyed in Mina's direction, giving her the cue to look at Jeongyeon with sad, pitiful eyes. "You can ask her along too. It'll be fun." She pressed on, knowing that Jeongyeon just needed a little push to give in to her. 

"Oh alright," Jeongyeon threw up her hands in defeat. "I'll text her and see if she's okay with it. All of you better be nice to her. Or else." 

"Sure we will~ It's not the first time we're seeing her anyway. Maybe except for Mina." Sana replies, ruffling the youngest's wine-red hair.

"Who's Jeongyeon's bestie?" Mina agreed to Sana's comment. Recently enrolled a while back, she'd never met and hung out with other people other than the three of them. Plus, her shyness made it hard for her to approach other people. She was thankful for Jeongyeon due to her making the first move, and with Momo and Sana from Japan, it was no wonder that Mina clicked and bonded well with the team.

"Im Nayeon. Choir girl, has a beautiful voice, a beautiful smile that matches up to her beautiful face." Momo joined in the Japanese duo, slinging her arms around both of them. "You'll like her. She's practically an angel, compared to our boorish tomboy over here."

"Piss off, Momo." That earned her a glorious middle finger.  

 

----------

 

nabongs, my girls want to join us for dinner tonight. You mind?

N: I don't~ any place you can think of? 

moguri knows a place...

N: Let me guess, jokbal? 

Jeongyeon could imagine Nayeon chuckling and shaking her head. Which was what Nayeon did on the other end of the conversation. She knew them well enough that she'd blend in perfectly with their team. 

J: yup. i'll text u the address. is 8 alright?

Yups~ see ya later boo.

J: see u too <3

 

----------

 

Nayeon took a deep breath of the evening atmosphere, the cool air flowing through her lungs and out, refreshing her from a hard day's work in school. Assignments, projects, all thrown to her non-stop, not to mention that she had an upcoming concert next month at the Seoul Arts Centre. That meant tons of practices, probably lasting till late night. She desperately needed a break. All work and no play made Nayeon grouchy. She looked forward to meeting Jeongyeon, even if her other friends were coming; they haven't met for weeks, and she missed her best friend badly. The days in high school, where they stuck to each other like glue, fussing over cute guys, sharing their hopes and aspirations to each other, were long g

Please log in to read the full chapter