Chapter 8

Chasing Rainbows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You don't care about other people, do you?"

Mira blinked at Jackson's sudden harshness and looked over at him from the driver's seat, "Ouch."

"No, I didn't exactly mean it as a bad thing. It's just, I noticed that you don't bother yourself with other people and trying to make friends." He said in a haste.

She pursed her lips, "Why are you bringing this up?"

"I'm bored and you're making him sit next to you while you're driving." He whined.

She shrugged, "Life is short. I can either waste my life making friends with people I don't care for or I can just save everyone time and stay close to the people who treat me well. When I'm on my deathbed I'm not going to be thinking of all the people I was fake kind to."

He shifted uncomfortably as images of the bottle of pills came to mind, "You're not…dying, are you?"

"No." She said with a laugh, "But sometimes I wish I was. No one hates you when you're going to die."

Jackson snorted, "No one hates you, everyone loves you."

"You're not serious, right? If people love you, it means that there are people who hate you just as much." She said with a laugh. Jackson watched her hold her hand out of the car with the other one on the wheel and do the airplane thing with her hand, letting the air slid through her fingers.

The car suddenly started sputtering, the sound of churning metal filling the car as it started to slow down.

"What's happening?" Mira asked as the car jerked to a stop as clouds of smoke billowed from under the hood. She turning the key but nothing changed, the car just made more sickening sounds before it shut off again.

Jackson blinked rapidly while looking around, ". I think the engine's blown."

"Annndd now it's raining." Mira said as a drop of rain hit her on the cheek.

Before Jackson could close the hood, a cloud clap of thunder cracked through the sky before torrential rain poured down on them. Mira let out a yelp and covered her head as Jackson hurried to pull the hood up over the car.

"We need to call a tow truck." Jackson sighed while pulling his phone out.

Mira frowned while staring out the window at the rain, "In this weather? It's going to take forever."

Jackson mumbled into his phone, giving directions before hanging up, "They say it'll take a few hours. It's far away and they have other calls. So me."

"Are we just going to wait in here?" She asked.

He looked at the map on his phone, "There's a bar a few minutes away." He looked over at her and quirked his brow, "How fast can you run?"

-----

Mira and Jackson ran into the bar, stumbling over their feet as they finally made it somewhere dry.

"Oh my god."Jackson panted while shaking the water off his sweater, "That was insane."

Mira pushed her hood down and tugged on her hair that somehow still managed to get wet, "At least we're dry now."

"At least I look good wet." Jackson joked.

Mira laughed and looked over at him. His tan skin looked dewy and warm under the soft lighting and the dampness in his hair allowed him to push it off his forehead, making him look more y than boyish. "Huh, you're right."

"You sound surprised." He said cockily. "Let's make a deal, yeah?" He said while surveying the bar.

She raised her brows in intrigue, "Go on."

"I do my thing and you do yours, we'll meet up when the tow truck gets here." He suggested.

Mira looked up at him and grinned when she saw his eyes land on a woman sitting at a booth, "Play on player."

"Shut the up." He said with a snort and nudged her shoulder playfully before walking away.

Mira ran her finger through her damp hair and scanned the bar. It was a nice place, not too high end but not too run down either. Music played in the background but it was drowned out but everyone's voices as they chatted with one another.

Humming a soft tune to herself, she watched Jackson stand in front of a gorgeously elegant woman and exchange a few words before she smiled and moved over for him to join her. He slid into next to her and rested his arm on the back of her seat.

"Guy's got game." Mira mused before taking a seat at the bar where the crowd wasn't as thick. "Just a beer. Whatever you have on tap."

The bartender nodded and turned away, leaving her to scan the shelves.

Jackson glanced up mid-story, checking on Mira and found her sitting by the bar, occupied, before looking over at the woman he was with.

"You're wet."

Mira blinked and glanced over her shoulder where a guy maybe a few years older than stood, staring at her with a drink in his hands. She stared at him blankly before pointing at her, "'Your clothes I mean."

"Oh…yeah. The rain." Mira said half-heartedly before turning to face the bar again. She wasn't in the mood to interact with a stranger much less a guy who looked like he was about to bust his pants just by staring at her.

Jackson looked up again in the middle of his new lady friend's story and blinked when he saw a man approaching her with a drink in hand. He said something to her and she looked at him, responded and looked away but the guy stayed and stared at her before getting into the seat next to her.

"Funny, right?"

He flinched and looked over at the beautiful woman next to him who had a look in her eye that said that she knew he was distracted and barely paying attention.

"Y-Yeah, hilarious."

The girl's face fell and her brow raised in annoyance, "That's weird because I just told you about how I came out to drink alone because I fought with my roommate. Don't really know how that was funny."

". I'm sorry it's just that my friend is here and I'm just worried about them." He said sweetly.

 The girl cooed while touching his arm, "That's so sweet. I'm sure he's fine."

"Can I buy you a drink?"

Mira bit back a sigh and looked over at the guy who had taken a seat beside her before lifting up her beer, "I'm good, thanks though."

"How about I buy your next one?" He prompted.

She her lips and plastered on a fake smile, "I'm not drinking a lot tonight."

"Come on. A beautiful woman like yourself should enjoy her nights." He said tackily. Mira didn't even bother validating him with a response and just turned her body away from him.

Jackson looked up once more and frowned when he picked up Mira's body language, turned away, with her arms crossed, looking away while the guy kept talking. She wasn't interested and she wanted an out, but she was a big girl, she  could handle herself.

"Are you from around here? I'm by this bar a lot but I don't think I've seen you around." The woman mentioned.

Jackson looked back at her and processed her question before shaking her head, "Just passing by."

"What are you doing alone at a bar in the rain anyways?" The guy said excitedly.

Mira sighed and closed her eyes in resentment. She looked up at the bartender who just gave her a helpless shrug.

"Car broke down." She said curtly, praying he'd just get the message and leave her alone.

One last time, Jackson promised himself. He'd look over at her one last time just to make sure she was alright and then he'd forget about her for the rest of the night. He turned his head and froze when he saw the man's hand on Mira's thigh. He glanced at her face and saw her scoffed and try to shift away but the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter