It's time

Fated
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

*SJK’s POV*

 

Realization hits me like a bullet train that what I feel for her is no longer fake. This is real. So real. Everything moves in slow motion the moment she steps down from the platform and comes near me. I just can’t take my eyes off of her.

 

I don’t know where and when it all started, but at this moment, I am absolutely and unquestionably sure that I have fallen completely and truly in love with my fake fiancée. Ottoke, what should I do?

 

“Awww. You look so pretty. That gown’s so perfect for you,” my mom tells her and she smiles. Meanwhile, I snap back to reality.

 

“We just have to make some adjustments so it’ll fit you perfectly,” Patti says and I stare at Hye Kyo while the other girls fuss over her. “Oh, I want to add something to the train to make it look extra dreamy, want to look at it, ladies? Let’s give these two lovebirds some time for each other” Patti says, noticing me staring like this at my ‘fiancee’ and drags Eomma and Hyo Jin to her office, leaving the two with no other choice but to follow. I couldn’t be more grateful to her.

 

Hye Kyo first watches as the three disappear from view then turns her attention to me and she smiles. My breath hitches a beat.

 

“You can stop it now, you know,” she says.

 

“S-stop w-what?” I manage to say even though my mind still feels like a jumble of whirring thoughts, having just realized that I am in love with this girl.

 

“Looking so mesmerized by me,” she says. But I AM mesmerized by you. “No one’s around now, you can drop the act,” she says, oblivious to the fact that the person standing next to her feels like a clutter of thoughts and emotions.

 

“Weird, you’re so quiet today,” she says, staring at me questioningly. “You don’t seem to have a fever,” she adds, putting a hand on my forehead. Snap out of it, Joong Ki. You’re acting weird. Keep your cool, keep your cool.

 

“Anyway, what are you doing here? Don’t you have work?” she asks and I finally find it in me to calm down and act normal.

 

“Nah, I’m done with today’s paperwork. And besides, I’m here to rescue you,” I say coolly, but deep down inside I’m shaking. Before she can respond, the three women come back in the room.

 

“Hye Kyo, dear, will it be okay if we add some more details on the train to make it more elegant? Some beadwork perhaps? And a few laces,” Patti suggests and I watch as Hye Kyo actually considers this.

 

“Hmm, that sounds fine with me. But not too much,” she says earnestly.

 

“Okay, noted. Thanks dear,” Patti says and turns to instruct one of her assistants while the other assistant helps Hye Kyo get into the dressing room to change. I turn my attention to my mother, who is now busy eyeing some other gowns on display.

 

“Eomma, will it be okay if I steal Hye Kyo from you today? I kind of want to spend some quality time with my fiancée, too,” I ask with a face I know she couldn’t resist.

 

“Aigoo, you don’t need to use that look on me. Of course it is. Go have some fun with Hye Kyo, Hyo Jin and I will just go shoe shopping in another mall instead” she says and I smile widely.

 

“Thanks, Eomma. You’re the best,” I say, hugging her.

 

“Everything it takes to make you happy son,” she beams back at me.

 

“Finally!” Hye Kyo smiles, happy that the fitting is over as she approaches us.

 

“Let’s go,” I say, offering my hand.

 

“W-what? Where?” she asks, surprised, and I smirk.

 

“We’re having a date.”

 

---

 

*SHK’s POV*

 

I walk silently beside Joong Ki, still unable to believe how he swiftly and effortlessly he rescued me from being his mother and sister-in-law’s hostage of the day. I had fun, alright, but I wasn’t really looking forward to go shoe shopping after the gown hunting rendezvous, I already feel too drained. Those two must have unlimited energy when it comes to shopping, I think to myself and smile remembering how much they tried to make me feel welcomed and comfortable around them.

 

“Don’t you think it’s rude, leaving your mom and sister-in-law?” I ask, actually feeling a bit sorry that I had to leave early.

 

“Nah, they understand. Didn’t you notice that they were even pushing us to go already?” he laughs softly, amused at what happened earlier. Indeed, the moment that Mrs. Song and Hyo Jin knew about our impromptu ‘date,’ they almost pushed us out the door.

 

“So, where are we going, now?” I ask, looking at him, wondering where we’re headed.

 

“Hmm, I actually don’t know yet since it was an impulse decision to come here and help you escape. Hmm, let’s see. Have you eaten?” he asks, mimicking a thinking expression.

 

“Dae. We went to brunch as soon as your mom, Hyo Jin and I met up. You?”

 

“Oh. I had crackers,” he says and I frown. That doesn’t count as a meal. He tends to become forgetful when it comes to meal times when he’s busy.

 

“That doesn’t count,” I say and he pouts, wanting to argue but I cut him off. “Come on, let’s go find a nice restaurant and eat.” I say, dragging him by the arm, leaving him with no choice but to follow me.

 

As soon as the food arrives, we dig in. He silently gobbles down his bibimpap, which probably means that he really is starving. I knew it. Aish, this guy. He really should not let himself miss a meal even though he has tons to do. He’d get ulcer if he continues doing that.

 

“Ya! Do you want to die early?” I say, the moment we exit the restaurant, catching his attention.

 

“W-what?” he asks, stunned at my question.

 

“Why do you keep on skipping meals?” I say (yes, this is more of an accusatory statement than a question), then shake my head. “I know you’re extremely busy, and I know that I’m not exactly in the position to ask you this but please make it a point to eat on time.” He momentarily stops walking and looks at me.

 

“Wae?” I ask, wondering why he’s looking at me like that, like he’s reading my eyes.

 

“Are you actually concerned about me?” he asks, a smile forming at the corner of his lips.

 

“Of course,” I say. There’s no use saying no. He’ll only tease me more, knowing him. “Wouldn’t want you to die early. And besides who’d take over the partnership if you’re dead?” I say, trying to convince both him and myself.

 

“Really, now,” he says, leaning closer, his hands in his pockets. “Is that really the reason?” he asks and my heart starts to beat faster. With all these irregularities in my heartbeat nowadays, I’m starting to think that there’s something wrong with my heart.

 

He pulls away, smiling. “Aigoo, you look cute when flustered.”

 

“I so am not flustered,” I argue. He must be kidding me. Me? Flustered? No freaking way.

 

“You are. Look, your cheeks are turning red,” he teases and I cover both cheeks with my hands hoping that it’s really not true. Otherwise, it would be very embarrassing.

 

“It’s only because of the spicy noodles I ate. Don’t flatter yourself too much,” I say, starting to walk again. Can’t we talk about anything else? He follows me, laughing softly and is about to say something more when his phone rings.

 

He looks at it first, checking who the caller is, then glances at me. “Sorry, I have to take this. It’s In Sung,” he says and I nod in understanding, stopping

 

“It’s fine. Go on,” I say and he answers the call.

 

“Yeoboseyo? Hyung?” he greets “Dae. I’m with Hye Kyo,” he says, briefly smiling at me and I watch as he nods to what In Sung is saying on the phone.

 

“News? What news?” His eyes are wide now in anticipation. What news could that be? I watch as his eyes grow even wider and he grins.

 

“Jinjja??! That’s great. Wow! Yes, yes, I’ll be there right away,” he says hanging up the phone and turning to me, his face radiating with triumph and joy and I look at him wondering what it’s all about.

 

“My proposal got accepted! We got the deal!!!” he screams and I couldn’t help but feel excited for him, too. We hug each other out of exhilaration and it takes about a minute for us to realize what we’re doing.

 

Awkward and a bit embarrassed, we break away from each other’s embrace. “Congratulations,” I say, still feeling awkward, yet extremely happy for him. “You deserve this. Wow, I’m so happy for you.”

 

“Thanks, couldn’t have done it without you and Onew’s help,” he says, still grinning. It’s evident how happy he is at the moment. Finally he’s getting the chance to prove his father wrong. Finally he’s savoring what he’d been working so hard for.

 

“No, it was all you, Joong Ki. It’s all you,” I say and he beams at me. Yes, indeed, it was all because of his intelligence and hard work that he was able to impress my father and score this deal. We are still beaming at each other, rejoicing in his victory when I see his smile falter.

 

“What’s wrong?” I ask, wondering why he suddenly looks upset when he just achieved one of his dreams.

 

“Uh, they’re calling in an emergency meeting right now,” he says apologetically. Oh, so..?

 

“Then go,” I say, not getting why he’s still not leaving.

 

“What about you? I promised we’d spend time and…” he says, still apologetic and I wave him off.

 

“Don’t worry about me,” I say confidently and he still looks at me as if he doesn’t want to leave.

 

“At least let me take you to your office,” he says, uncomfortable of leaving me here alone.

 

“No, that’s okay. I have to check something out, anyway. Gooo!” I say, almost pushing him out the door. What is he doing staying here? His team’s waiting for him. Everyone’s waiting for him. He should go, really.

 

“But….”

 

“Joong Ki-ssi. I’ll be fine,” I assure him, looking at him in the eyes. “I can handle myself, remember? I’ll just call my driver to fetch me when I’m done, arasso? Now go! Go and seize it. You deserve this deal. Now prove to them how brilliant you are,” I say giving him a reassuring smile and a little push. Not having any other choice but to agree, he finally shakes his head in defeat.

 

“Okay, but please text me once you arrive at your office,” he says and I shake my head in disbelief. He worries too much sometimes.

 

Then, out of nowhere, he swiftly yet gently takes my hand and kisses it. I stand there, frozen, and completely surprised as I watch him do it. Lub-dub, lub-dub, my heart goes.

 

He then turns and leaves, hurrying back to his office, leaving me dumbfounded and my heart beating erratically and wildly fast. Oh gosh, I think I need to schedule an appointment with a cardiologist, I must really have a problem with my heart.

 

---

 

I’m still trying to collect myself as I stare at the branded bags displayed in front of me. Why do I feel this way? I’m not usually like this. Snap out of it, Hye Kyo. It’s just a kiss, it’s not even a kiss on the lips nor the cheek, it’s only a kiss on the hand. Why are you making such a big deal out of nothing? I shake my head, shaking my ‘unnecessary thoughts’ away. You’re just over reacting, Hye Kyo.

 

Two purchases of a brand new Prada bag and a purse later, I find myself both calm and collected. Thank goodness for shopping. I stroll out of the outlet happily, ready to go back to the office when my phone rings. I take it out of my back and check who the caller is. Oh, it’s Joong Ki.

 

“Yeoboseyo?”

 

“Hye Kyo. You still haven’t texted me. Are you back at the office?” he asks and I roll my eyes.

 

“Not yet, I’m still here buying some things. Why are you calling? Aren’t you in a meeting right now?”

 

“I am, but I’m worried since….” He says and I cut him off before he could continue.

 

“Aigoo. Relax. I can take care of myself. Now stop worrying and focus on your meeting, araseo?” I say then end the call. Aigoo, he really can be a worry wart sometimes, I shake my head at him then smile. But he can really be thoughtful, too.

 

I put my phone back into my bag, still smiling at the thought of a scowling Joong Ki, and start to continue walking when a very familiar face stares back at me from afar. With his eyes still on me, he takes a few steps and comes near. Hae Jin? What is he doing here?

 

---

“Kamsamhamnida,” I say as the waiter delivers our drinks. Hae Jin and I are sitting in a coffee shop after asking me if we could “catch up” for a bit. I was hesitant at first, but then decided to agree for “old time’s sake.”

 

“So, how have you been?” he asks, staring at me and I pick up my frappe, trying to avoid his gaze.

 

“I’m good. Everything’s doing fine,” I say and I look at him still watching me. “You? How’s business doing?” I ask, coolly.

 

“It’s fine. It’s doing quite well, actually. I just had a lunch meeting with a client,” he says and I faintly notice how he dodged my question of how he’s doing.

 

 

 

“Good for you,” I nod and take another sip of my drink, not knowing what more to say. We’re both silent for a few minutes and I can feel the awkwardness between us.

 

“So, what brings you to this side of Seoul? I thought you have work,” he says, trying to make conversation.

 

“I took some time off,” I say and he looks at me curiously. This must be new to him, I don’t usually take time off of work. “Uh, I spent some time with Joong Ki’s mother and sister-in-law earlier. We were out looking for.. uh a gown,” I say. Can this moment be any more awkward?

 

“Oh, I see,” he says, glancing at me while drinking coffee. “Busy with wedding preparations now, huh. But where’s Song Joong Ki?” he says coolly and I can tell that it’s forced.

 

“He was with me earlier, but he had to leave earlier for an emergency meeting,” I say and a smile faintly as I remember how much he hesitated before leaving. Meanwhile, Hae Jin becomes quiet opposite me.

 

“Are you happy?” he asks quietly, looking at me intently and I consider his question. Am I?

 

“Yes,” I answer, a bit surprised by the truthfulness of my statement. Yes, I actually am happy. These past few weeks have been working out really well. If I come to think of it, I can’t even remember the last time I cried myself to sleep. These days are all genuine laughter and sunshine. Well, thanks to Joong Ki. He has been really good to me. Though we’re not really engaged, he’s really making an effort to make me smile each day, which I really appreciate. So, yes, I am happy. Genuinely, truly happy.

 

“Yes, I’m happy,” I say once more, smiling now and he looks at me in a way I couldn’t decipher. Why is he looking at me like that?

 

“I remember how you used to smile at me like that whenever I’d take you to the movies. The way your eyes used to light up whenever I buy you your favorite food,” he says and I look at the window. What is he doing saying these? Why is he suddenly bringing up the past?

 

“I guess it’s in the past now,” he says and sighs. “Oh, how time changes.”

 

“Yes, old times.” I say, not knowing what he is getting at. I fiddle with my engagement ring anxiously and his eyes follow my movement, turning sad.

 

“I’m sorry,” he suddenly says and I look at him. What?

 

“I’m sorry I ever did that to you, for leaving you hanging like that and for hurting you,” he says, looking at me repentantly. “That wasn’t so nice of me, I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s okay, I forgive you,” I say and I once again am surprised at how much I meant what I said. “As what you said earlier, it’s all in the past.” I smile at him.

 

“I wish I could make it up to you,” he says and I look at him uncomprehendingly. “To make up for all the things I’ve done.”

 

“Oh, uh. No need. Let’s just move forward and focus on other things,” I say. This conversation is really making me uncomfortable. Really. He’s about to say some more when I cut him off.

 

“Uh, listen. I have to go, my driver’s waiting for me outside and I really have to go back to the office now,” I say, grabbing my bags and standing up. He looks at me, wanting to stop me. “Anyway, it was nice talking to you. And, uh, thanks for the coffee.” I say as I start walking towards the door, desperate to flee from the scene as fast as I could.

 

What’s with him? What’s the use of bringing all that up? He and I might have had something in the past, but that’s just it, the past. Isn’t it not right to talk like that especially now that he has a new girl in his life? I really did mean it when I said that it would be better to move forward. Can’t he just do the same now with his girlfriend?

 

Thoughts continue boggling my mind as I hail a cab and head home, feeling a headache coming. No, my driver’s not here, and no I’m not really needed in the office right now. I guess me lying to him just to leave says a lot.

 

---

*SJK’s POV*

 

I sit here, listening as my friends make bets whether I was joking or not when I said that Hye Kyo will be dropping by. Aish, Don’t they really believe me? What kind of friends are they? Aish.

 

I wanted to surprise her yesterday at her office after my meeting, but it turns out, she went home. She had a terrible headache, she said and wanted to sleep it off. Instead, I called her this morning to ask her out for a celebratory lunch and she said yes.

 

However, the universe seems to be not on my side today as my car broke. She also had to cancel lunch to attend a meeting with the boards and asked if we could move the celebration to dinner, which’s a problem since I’m meeting with the guys after work and they’ll be giving me hell if I don’t show up.

 

“That’s okay,” she said. “I’ll just pick you up there and we can have coffee after.”

 

“R-really?” I asked, not believing what she just said. “You’re not mad?” I asked since most girls would get mad at the thought of their guys cancelling out on them to make time for their friends. Well, not that I’m HER guy.

 

“Why would I be? It’s me who cancelled our lunch meeting in the first place,” she said and I smiled. Despite her being stubborn, she can be really understanding sometimes. “Uh, I gotta go. Something came up, just text me the address, okay?” she said before hanging up.

 

 “I think she’s coming, she’s his fiancée after all,” Chulhwa says with his arms crossed and Kwang Soo scowls at him.

 

“No, I’m betting that it’s all a joke. This guy here is pranking us,” he says, pointing at me. What? I’m a liar now?

 

“Hmm, if you come to think of it, he does like seeing us like this,” Chulhwa says, agreeing.

 

“Yeah, and besides, why would she come here? At this hour?” Bo Gum says and I scowl at him. Because I’m here, you pabo.

 

“Do you really thinks she likes him?” Hae Young asks and they all stop to consider this.

 

“Ya! Ya! Isn’t me being her fiancé not enough to convince you guys?” I ask, annoyed, and they all look at me like I’m crazy.

 

“NO!” They all say in unison. Aish, why am I even friends with them? Before I could argue, a car stops right outside Studio Concrete and out comes Hye Kyo, looking as beautiful as ever.

I shoot my friends, who are now staring at her with their mouths open, an “I told you” look and turn my attention back to her. She then smiles at me and I smile back as I open the door for her. Yes, back off, you guys, she’s mine.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, sorry to crash your party. I’m here to pick Joong Ki up,” she says, greeting them and they all rush to her direction.

 

“Song Hye Kyo, it’s so nice to finally meet you, I’m Lee Kwang Soo,” my giraffe of a friend says, bowing so low I’m afraid he’ll snap into two. “I’m Joong Ki’s good friend, best friend actually.” What a liar. Good friend, huh.

 

“I’m Chulhwa, nice to meet you,” Chulhwa says extending his hand and Hye Kyo shakes it, smiling.

 

“Welcome, I’m Bo Gum,” Bo Gum says, smiling widely.

 

“And I’m Hae Young,” Hae Young says, bowing like he was born to do so. Aish, my friends. They turn into different people when facing a beautiful girl.

 

I stand here helpless as I watch my friends manipulate Hye Kyo’s attention. Aish, I’m also here, you know. They’re lucky Jong Suk is abroad now, or else he would’ve smacked them for behaving like crazy and star-struck fanboys.

“Nice to meet you all, I’ve heard about you guys,” she says and they all look at her, awe-struck.

 

“Really? Joong Ki told you about us?” Kwang Soo asks.

 

“Uh, not really. Well, Jong

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter