A Day with Dahyun

New Roommate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It has been two months now, I've gotten along with the girls very well, but not totally close to any of them as of yet.

I guess I'm still testing the water?

The last time I came back home with Momo, they immediately explained to us the system they had created. It was about the quality time I should spend with each member, and getting to know them individually instead of as a group.

Looking at the schedule pinned on my door, it seems like Dahyun would be my first companion for this kind of arrangement.

Honestly, Dahyun was one of the members who have caught my interest the moment I fluttered my eyes open on the couch, two months ago. From her smiling out of nowhere every time I sneak at the kitchen at night and noticing her sitting in the living room alone, I might peg her as someone who's peculiar when it comes to imagining something that goes beyond ordinary.

After getting ready for our friendly date, I did my usual cooking session every morning, preparing breakfast for the girls. They seem to love its taste anyway.

Jeongyeon pulled a chair out for me, thanking her as I sat down. Before me stows a lot of food; egg omelette, bacon, vegetable salad and beef salpicao, there was a little bit of everything. Dahyun walked in, wearing her wonted cheeky smile as she flopped down next to me.

"Have you ever eaten this?" She asked, implying to every dish that's laid in front of her.

"Only the omelette, but I'm willing to try it all." I said, granting her a smile before taking my chopsticks and grabbing some kimchi.

Kimchi for breakfast? Hmm...

Looking up from my plate, my eyes met their orbs, all of them full of curiosity and anticipation. Chuckling for their cuteness, I tried the infamous food. 

The taste wasn't so bad, actually. It was a bit of sour and is extemely spicy for my tastebuds, I still like it nevertheless.

After savoring each and every food, I decided to wash the dishes before leaving with Dahyun.

"No, we'll clean up." Jihyo exclaimed, hauling the plate away from my hand.

"Let them clean up. Let's go." Dahyun tugged my hand, feeling her soft hand against mine brought warmth from my fingertips up to my arms.

Leaving me with no choice, I nodded. "Uhh, okay." 

Leading me out of the house, I briskly turned back at the front door. The girls were left with amusement in their eyes, finding our situation funny.

"Unnie, what's your favorite animal?" Dahyun asked, walking hand-in-hand along the pavements leading us to the zoo entrance.

"Mmm, I'd have to say a penguin." I said. Sana used to call me that, pertaining to how I walk. "What about you?"

"An eagle... that's my favorite animal," she smiled, squeezing my hand for a bit.

We kept strolling around, with her telling the story of how her friends began calling her monkey after a chimp spat on her.

Imagining the exact scenario made me laugh, how could such a cute girl be a chimps rival?

After a few minutes, we arrived in the chimpanzees section, their enclosure was big enough for them to run around. Dahyun took a step back, afraid of getting spat at again.

 I walked closer, a chimpanzee reached out and touched my hand cracking me a smile.

"Dahyun, come here." I called her over.

She looks terrified, aggressively shaking her head as her answer.

"Aw, come on." I went to to her before leading her close to where the chimp was.

Her eyes widened and tried to pull away.

"Don't be scared. He's friendly, see?" I gave the chimp a piece of fruit. I could've sworn that he smiled at me before taking it.

She stared at the chimp keenly, deciding if it was safe. The chimp reached out to touch her as well but Dahyun remained frozen on her spot. I didn't know her skin could be even more pale than it was.

Panic filled her eyes, not knowing what to do. I gently took her hand, she even flinched for a second, and placed it to where the chimp was.

She touched its hand for a slight moment before retreating her hand back. She heaved a deep breath, touching her cheeks, before ushering me away.

"That wasn't so bad." Dahyun glanced at me, a smile was starting to form on her lips.

"See? There's now way they could hate you." Seriously, one can find any reason to hate her but they'll end up with nothing.

She scanned the area, we are currently in the center of the map I was holding.

Her eyes halted to where a flock of pigeons were residing. "You wanna feed the pigeons?"

Pigeons? I looked at her. "Sure."

We sauntered our way to an area where no animal exhibits are present, it looked like a park. A resting area maybe. It was empty, but there's alot of pigeons gathering around by a single bench just a few steps away from us.

Alarmed when she started to walk, I stilled on my spot. "W-Wait..."

"What's wrong?" Dahyun positioned herself beside me, holding my wrist. Worry was visible in her monolid eyes.

"I, uhm... I'm afraid of pigeons." I stammered, staring at them from afar sends me horror already, what more if they're only a foot away?

Dahyun giggled, her eyes turning into crescent. She looks absolutely adorable that I had to force myself from pinching her cheeks once again.

"I'm serious. They really freak me out." I mumbled, gulping when she suddenly hugged my left arm.

"They aren't going to hurt you Mina unnie. Come on." Giving me reassuring smile, we bagan walking again.

"W-Wait... Dahyun, I can't do it." I paused, warily watching those terrifying-looking birds.

"What are you afraid of?" she asked. I can even feel her breath on the side of my face because of our closeness.

"They're weird. The way they walk and coo... what if they peck me?" I fretted, such scenario starts to emerge in my mind.

She chuckled. "They're not going to peck you unnie. I promise."

"But..."

"I'll protect you. Come on." She encouraged, slipping her hand on my arm down to my hand.

As we get closer, the pigeons seem to hear our footsteps as they quickly dispersed and flew in every direction possible. 

"Dahyun!" I shrieked, swapping our position. I held her arm without thinking and shut my eyes.

I felt her other arm sneak on my back. "Unnie... open your eyes."

"No way! They're probably surrounding us!" I shuddered by the thought.

"Trust me. Open your eyes," she whispered.

Opening my one eye, I swiftly examined the area before opening the other.

"Oh, sorry. I just freaked out for a second." I pulled away from her, realizing how tight I was gripping on her arm.

She simply smiled.

"Where'd they go?"

"They're more afraid of you than you are to them" She said, slumping down the bench.

I took a seat beside her. As soon as we did that, they all came back. I felt the chills go down my spine as they start making noises.

"I wonder if pigeons judge people." Dahyun prattled.

"If they do, they'll probably think I'm some kind of special brand of human."

She snickered, "Nope, I doubt they'll say that."

"Oh? You speak pigeon now?" Raising a brow as I turn to her.

"Coo coo coo." She bobbed her head.

I laughed on her humor. "So what are they saying?"

"Feed us, hooman! That's what they said." she said, sounding squeaky before handing me a shrimp cracker.

I held the cracker in my shaking hand. "A-Are you sure?"

"Coo coo." She nodded. "I'm sure."

I tossed it and cringed. They began gathering around the cracker and eat it.

Hmm, I guess it seemed silly now to think they were out to get me. I smiled without knowing.

"See? They like you." Her smile getting bigger.

"You think you can teach me pigeon?" I teased.

"Of course, just bob your head and coo."

"I didn't know about all that." We both chuckled.

We stayed here talking about any absurd and weird things our minds could muster. Letting ourselves wander off as we feed the pigeons.

"We're out of crackers." I informed her after realizing the paper bag's emptiness.

The pigeons cooed and flapped their wings.

"They said thank you for feeding us." Dahyun implied, nodding her head repeatedly.

"Ahh... coo coo." I said, snorting in the process. Goodness, I sound dumb.

"You said that wrong." she teased.

"Oh? Then you tell them." I challenged.

"Coo coo coo." she imitated their movements and coos, trying hard not to laugh.

The pigeons scratched the floor then dispersed into the trees.

"This was nice." I sighed in contentment. "Thank you."

She blushed a little. "You're welcome... I had fun."

"Where to now?"

"I'm kind of hungry. Shall we?" She stood up, offering her hand.

I willingly took it as we continue the rest of the day inside the zoo.

Walking as we go home, I saw the cameras that kept following us throughout the whole day. I didn't seem to notice until now.

"Do you ever smell peanut butter even though there's no peanut butter around?" She asked out of nowhere.

This is the exact reason why I am curious to how her mind works, almost everything that comes out of seems odd. I find it beguiling, to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter