Understanding

Hushed Pandemonium

With backs against the bar, a group of young men watched as people clad in prominent displays of wealth ambled throughout the club. Today was not like any other day at this particular club in Seoul. Today, a prominent face of luxury wear was hosting an extravagant celebration in honor of his new line.

The club offered an air of modern regality. The color gold gleamed from nearly every foot of the building and a mixture of silver and specks of glitter dazzled the ceilings and arched entrances. A cascade of dark lights emanated from eight lines of strobes centered around the dancefloor. And despite the number of people traversing through the club's floors, the soft scent of flowers wafted through the air, seemingly carried by anything other than the stream of perfumed women and men.

Simon picked up another shot of tequila to down when something black flashed along the corner of his eye. Not missing a beat, he darted his eyes to the side, but before much else then a slender back could be seen, Jay obscured the view by making an exaggerated movement of stretching himself as far out as he could without toppling over. ChaCha maintained his relaxed position of elbows propped against the glass countertop.

As soon as she disappeared into a cluster of people at the far end of the bar, both men said what had been desperate to escape their lips.

"Fine wine."

"Fat ."

A moment breezed by before a boom of laughter erupted from the duo. Doubling over in uncontrollable laughter, Jay wrapped his feet around the bar stool's metal rim to keep from falling over and smacking head first onto the cool marble. ChaCha shut his eyes to keep the sudden influx of tears from trickling over.

While the two finished playing their game, Simon finished downing the rest of his drink.

"Woah, there, champ. Don't you want a story to tell tomorrow," Jay asked as he recollected himself. ChaCha swiveled around to face Simon.

"Besides," Jay continued as he slid his cup across the countertop for a refill on his gin, "There are hundreds of beautiful ladies here to-day-ay-yay." He bent his arm at an 180-degree angle before pumping it up and down. ChaCha let out a low whistle in response to his action.

Before Simon could open his mouth to reply, an apology came from his side. He turned to view the person in question but instead of connecting the sultry voice to someone with apologeticness scrawled across their face, his vision filled with a woman whose serpent-like gaze did not waver. He held her bottomless black eyes for seven seconds too long before breaking off and following the movement of her hand.

"I really am sorry," she said as she wrapped her hand around his arm. Just then he caught sight of what had happened and reflexively snatched his arm away from the puddle that threatened to soak his sleeve.

He took a handful of napkins from the annoyed bartender and started dabbing at the alcohol. He turned to grab the rest from his other hand when he felt a knee brush up against his inner thigh. His leg twitched and despite his adversity to her, he liked how she brushed it off with a hearty laugh. He noted that unlike the other women he touched, she did not shy away from physical contact. There were no traces of a blush having spread out across her face or ears.

His eyes then roamed the length of her face, taking in everything without interruption. From her dainty nose to the small constellation of beauty marks that circled around the corner of her right eye, he found her beauty wasn't much different from the litter of beautiful women that roamed the streets of Seoul. His trail of thoughts dispelled like a meteor shower when Lee Seonghwa's stage name spilled free from ChaCha's lips. He slid the martini glass, now full of wadded napkins, towards the bartender and ordered another one for the lady. With the faintest tug of his lips, he dismissed himself. 

The woman shot her hand out but returned to eyeing the glasses full of alcohol as DJ Duck approached the trio of men. The feel of Simon's silky sleeve lingered on her fingertips like the feel of the wind against her skin. Untouchable. 

For now, she thought.

Raking her crimson colored nails across her palms, she watched as Simon's attention fell on a small man who wore a Louis Vuitton jacket similar in style to his own. Despite being nowhere within hearing distance to him, his laughter ringed and ringed, trickling into her ear like an unwanted puddle of muddied water.

She stood and walked away, relishing in the sound of her heels against the hard floor. Because, with each step she took, she imagined a piece of the small man's heart being crushed under the weight of her shoe.

"Can't believe you would let go of something so fine," Jay said with a shake of his head. Sad to see her go, he hung his head low and made an exaggerated attempt at crying his heart out.

"Because I should beat her up after only having shared a few words with her," Simon questioned, raising his left eyebrow high enough to the point where the skin around his eye felt taut. 

DJ Duck burst into laughter, noting that while he was not fluent in English formalities, he did know how to distinguish the language's obscenities.

"You've broken Duck," ChaCha teased as he pulled his phone free from his pant pocket. Checking to see who the caller was, his eyes grew wide. "Be back in a minute."

For a brisk moment, the newly composed trio watched as ChaCha disappeared behind a set of double doors. 

"No, you've gotta move in smoothly. Sure, the desired end result is to have wooed her enough for but if you let that mentality cloud your thoughts then your actions will drive her home. Now, I'll let you in on a secret when I say-"

"Did you get her number?" Duck asked. He stuck his tongue out before curling it back up as if he were lapping at a mound of flesh that clearly did not lay before him. He was quick to reveal a boyish smile with perfectly straight teeth in an attempt to juxtapose his crudeness.

"Man, you want to go at it don't you," Jay said, his voice screeching towards the end. He downed the remaining trickle of gin before pretending to chuck the cup at Duck.

Duck flipped his head to the side before crossing his sturdy arms over his equally strong chest. "Hmph," he said. 

Before Jay could find something clever to say in an attempt to rile him up further, Duck pouted his lips and pretended to fix his non-existent display of s.

A squeal of laughter from the two labelmates smacked straight into Simon's ears, nearly knocking him over the side of his own seat. He rolled his eyes but, in reality, he was glad they had chosen to exclude him from their playful banter. 

He refocused his attention on the small man who stole a bit of his being on a daily basis. Gray.

Whether it was from his eyes when Simon stole secret glances his way or from his heart when it accelerated at the prospect of being able to hear his voice, Simon knew his love was not a love meant to be shared with everyone. 

He watched as DJ Wegun dismissed himself from Gray's side to perform one of his remixes. Reflexively, Simon slid a leg to the floor and was prepared to hoist himself off the stool when a petite woman approached Gray. He had noticed the cluster of women standing behind and off to the sides of him but hadn't expected anyone of them to undress their timidness and approach him. 

Her shoulder bumped into his, making Simon's stomach curl in on itself. While he knew what to expect from their encounter, the selfishness inside him couldn't help wanting Gray to reject the woman's advances. But, instead of being greeted with his fantasy, Gray turned and met the woman's timid smile with his genuinely kind one. A smile that would never be reserved for him within the darkest corners or behind closed doors and especially not under the watchful eyes of predators.

Simon watched his lips move, forming a stream of consonants and vowels that he would have liked to have stolen with a kiss.

He closed his eyes and let out a shaky breath, unaware that Jay was watching him from the corner of his eye.

"Now, lemme see the day Gray no longer takes a lady up on her idle chatter," ChaCha said as he struggled to free his bulky watch from the constraints of his pant pocket. 

"Well, he doesn't seem to mind. No, actually he doesn't mind. His mannerisms don't change for anyone," Jay said.

ChaCha concurred. "And he gets more then all four of us put together." 

"If he tried," Duck added, his tongue peeking out from the side of his mouth. 

"Maybe someone should go and save our damsel," Jay teased. The group of men all looked up from their conversation towards the area where Gray could now no longer be seen. The women who once watched Gray from a close distance now stood clustered around where he was most likely at the center of it all. 

Duck pouted, rocking back and forth on his stool. "Damn, I want some. What is this? A MV filming. God, she's got a nice ..."

Jay opened his mouth to say something in regards to Gray but Simon leaned forward in his seat, a playful grin plastered across his face. 

"This knight will save thy damsel and therefore rescue one leg of the many needed to help support the bank with which the Kingdom of AOMG depends on."

He stood and half-heartedly pressed his fist over his heart before slipping into the throng of dancers. 

"So cheesy," Duck grumbled as he turned around to order a glass of vodka. 

For a moment, ChaCha furrowed his eyebrows but soon tossed Simon's performance out in order to focus his full attention on trying to pour his mango-flavored margarita into Duck's vodka.

Jay sat still, running Simon's words over and over in his head until they read like a solution to a mystery he had not noticed until today. He knew the last part was Simon's attempt to deflect his true intentions for approaching Gray. 

But with each passing thought, Jay's heart grew heavier and heavier with the newfound knowledge that his friend has been suffering in seclusion for something the heart decides on its own. 

Simon, since when, have you had feelings for Gray?