No Matter What Happens in Busan

A Coffee Filter Crown
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The plane was entirely quiet. Almost everybody on it was entirely bummed out after all the partying – lying in various positions to sleep softly.

Jihoon couldn’t have slept if he wanted to. Hayi wouldn’t have let him stay awake alone, under any circumstances.

Jihoon simply sat in quiet misery.

Hayi the back of his head; an endearing habit that soothed him a lot. “It’ll be alright,” she cooed gently. “After all… well… he loves you very much. I’m sure that no matter what, it will work out.”

Jihoon couldn’t answer that. He simply stared at nothing.

“Sorry, ma’am? Could we get two cups of tea?”

“Of course your highness.”

He waited until the friendly stewardess was out of range before leaning over to his Princess. “I thought you preferred coffee?”

Hayi gave him a look. “Your palace baristas can’t even make decent coffee on the ground. You think I want to try pressurized cabin-proof bean water?”

Jihoon let it pass.

The stewardess went back to the front compartment, and the two Royals drank tea together in relative silence.

“So, so I get to know when you’re going to propose, or?”

Jihoon looked at her in faint alarm.

Hayi rolled her eyes. “Joshua already told me. He said to act surprised. Also, the box has been sticking out of your jacket. The form of it, I mean. You can see it’s in your pocket.”

“Oh.” Jihoon took the blue suede box from his pocket, fumbling it in his hands. “Do you want to see it?”

“No, no. Keep it a surprise.” Hayi smiled. “I’ll be absolutely delighted with you, my Hoonie darling.”

That was almost funny enough to make Jihoon snort. Almost.

“My darling, devoted husband.”

“Alright, alright. Keep your lid on.” Jihoon rolled his eyes. “…I guess it’ll be somewhere in the middle of the day. There’ll be lots of journalists around, so please behave.”

Hayi ducked her head around in her haughtily-pretending-to-be-a-perfect-little-young-lady kind of way. “I don’t know what you mean, your highness. I’m an absolute delight, you know I am.”

Jihoon attempted a smile – it was more of a tight grimace – and put his arm around Hayi gently. She cuddled up to him in a very familial way, leaning her head on his shoulder. “I’m sorry. You’re tired. Go to sleep, Hayi.”

“It’s okay. You’re worried about Seungcheol. About whether he finds out today. Whether or not he’ll recognize you. And me. And see you proposing to me today.” Hayi the back of Jihoon’s hand. “But I think he’s very devoted to you. And I think he’ll at least want to talk. He wouldn’t quit you cold turkey.”

Jihoon nodded. “That’s all I can hope for. Even if it’s just one time. Just one more time.”

“Did you say goodbye properly, last week?”

“Yeah.” Jihoon whispered. “Felt like it would be the last time.”

“It won’t.”

“How do you know?”

“Magic,” Hayi smiled, winking. “I’m a magic fairy. And I can predict the future.”

The barista closed his eyes. “Oh yeah? And what do you see happening in the future?”

Hayi smiled gently. “…both of us getting the person we like most.”

 

Jeonghan ceremoniously cut the ribbon and bowed; the Royal family went in first, taking a good look around at the park that had been so uniquely built for their palace. Within twenty minutes they were in allocated white seats on a large lawn: many seats were there, for ministers and bodyguards and such. In front of them stood a beautiful white Grecian gazebo, its pillars overrun with ivy. Once everybody was seated and reporters stood around taking pictures, Jeonghan leapt up onto the gazebo, taking the microphone that was there.

Jeonghan’s welcome speech was eloquent, just like the Seductful Prince himself. He introduced his five designers – Jihoon pointedly looked down so as not to be recognized by at least one of them – and then everybody was encouraged to explore the six gardens that had been created.

One for every designer, and a central garden in the middle of the pentagon.

Hayi would hear none of touring the gardens in sequence: she practically dragged Jihoon, and therefore both their bodyguards and her Pomeranian, to Choi Seungcheol’s garden.

Each designer had been given half an acre to fill in as they pleased. Seungcheol’s area was full of fragrant, warm flowers and tall, balmy trees that swayed just a little in the breeze. It was an extremely pleasant walk for the two ‘lovers’ to go around and see just how the bushes had been trimmed, and exactly what the formation of tulips was.

But the real show-stopper was the fountain.

It had to span at least seven feet in diameter: it was a triple-tiered perfect circle, with little intricate carving to be found. Instead, floating in the water, stood one huge flower basket, overflowing with peony roses. The bottom tier was pink; the next yellow; the top tier was filled with white peonies, dripping o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter