Exy & SeolA

WuJu High

"Oh my god, there she is again. I think I'm gonna throw up." SeolA gagged as she turned her face away from the group of raucously laughing soccer players. Her best friend Dawon only sniggered as she continued to sip on her juice, prompting SeolA to send a heated glare her way, mouthing 'traitor' as the rest of the choir laughed at how dramatic she was being. "If you do throw up, the toilet is that way." The girl sitting opposite her smiled as she pointed behind her, coincidentally right next to where the soccer players were clustered. The entire table erupted into laughter again, with said girl getting high-fives from everyone surrounding her. SeolA just rolled her eyes and stood up, hissing, "I swear I need better friends. See you in Chem, Dawon." And she stalked off, the entire table still laughing in her wake. Dawon waved as she continued to drink but raised her eyebrows when she noticed the object of SeolA disgust staring at her best friend as she left the canteen. "Soobin-ah." She nudged the girl who had been teasing SeolA before and she turned to face her with a bright but questioning smile on her face. "Why does SeolA dislike Exy so much?" Dawon scratched her head as she spun her bottle cap. Soobin smiled and beckoned Dawon closer, whispering, "Because your best friend has had the biggest crush on the captain of the girl's soccer team since freshman year."

SeolA had been asked this question by Dawon before but had told her that it was because the theatre club had a strong rivalry with the soccer club since probably the beginning of time. And she as the president, was trying to uphold it, which wasn't too far from the truth. What SeolA may have forgotten to add was that she was also trying to get Exy to hate her back. Because it would be easier not liking someone who did not like her as well since there was no way in hell Exy would like nerdy old SeolA in the way she liked her. But who was she kidding, SeolA groaned and buried her head in her arms, this close to banging her head on the surface of the wooden table to get rid Exy's adorable smirk that refused to leave her mind. She kept her head in her arms till she heard a chair slide out and someone sat down in front of her. She barely stopped the curse that threatened to bubble out of because she knew exactly who had just entered the classroom. Part of her was thankful that Exy didn't say anything to her despite the two of them being the only ones in the classroom but she supposed that wasn't so surprising, since SeolA was known for her hate towards jocks (especially those who had a killer body, charming smirks, and a raspy voice that always had SeolA toes curling). But another part of her wanted Exy to talk to her, so that she could hear the voice that probably haunted her every waking moment. Oh God, just what had Exy reduced her to...

Fortunately, her other classmates chose that moment to start filing into the room, taking SeolA's attention away from thoughts of forcing amnesia on herself so she could get rid of this uncontrollable crush she was currently buried neck deep in. Then the teacher walked in mere moments later, giving SeolA something to finally do. "HyunJung-ah." Her seatmate nudged her and she kicked him back, "It's SeolA!" The boy rolled his eyes and kicked her in return, "Whatever, HyunJung," (Cue seething from said girl) "Did you bring the project file? It's our turn to present today." He continued, twirling his pencil skillfully in his fingers as SeolA flicked an eraser, causing him to curse under his breath when his pencil when flying. "Tsk, of course, did you think I would be as forgetful as you, Jooheon?" Jooheon just winked and clicked his tongue obnoxiously, "Isn't that what you love about me?" SeolA only huffed a short laugh as she punched her childhood friend on the shoulder before bending to dig out the file that was in her bag. A sharp crack was heard by Jooheon, who immediately smirked in the direction of the sound, sniggering under his breath. Because from his angle, he could clearly see the broken pencil that hung in Exy's grip and the way her shoulders were tensed up in jealousy.

Almost the entire school knew of the girl's soccer team captain's crush (everyone knew it was love actually, a deep unconditional love) on the president of the choir but it wasn't something so easily mentioned within the hallways (because anyone who mentioned Exy's name in front of SeolA would most likely (will) face a horrible death at the hands of said demon). Well, everyone knew except the president herself, something Jooheon, as the captain of the boy's soccer team often exploited. He treated Exy like he would a younger sister and like every big brother would do, mercilessly every chance he got about her out-of-control crush on his childhood friend. Which meant that he called SeolA, Hyunjung whenever Exy was near (SeolA only allowed him to call her that, the only other boy who had tried ended up with a broken nose and books shoved up his ) and initiated skinship whenever he could. He would always get scolded by his friends who knew how much he liked making Exy squirm, but the way Exy reacted to all of his teasing was priceless. So it was worth all the nagging he sat through whenever the boys ate lunch together. Speaking of teasing... "Jooheon, Hyunjung." Their teacher called and Jooheon's smirk could only be described as evil, causing his friends to begin groaning. He ruffled Exy's hair as he walked past, barely jumping out of the way when Exy reached foward to scratch him with her broken pencil. "I'm going to trash your later." She growled and Jooheon felt his prankster mind begin whirling because Chu Sujung just made one of the biggest mistakes in her life.

"Why do I have to sit at the bleachers while you practise? Can't I go to the library to finish the project? It's not like you can help anyway!" SeolA grumbled as Jooheon all but dragged her out into the sun and to the concrete bleachers that she oh so often found her best friend asleep on. "Because, Hyunjung, I can come help. We're playing a practice match today and when I get subbed out I'll come over." He watches SeolA bristle at the name before realisation sinks in and her eyes widen in horror before opened to confirm her fears. "Soccer match with who..." Jooheon grinned and had to grab SeolA's arms because said girl looked ready to bolt. "With the girls team of course!" And SeolA really jumped up at that, all ready to run away when Jooheon pulled her into a tight hug. "No! Just because you know that I have such a huge crush on Exy doesn't mean you can exploit it like that." SeolA protested and flailed as she tried to get out of Jooheon's tight hug, her sanity and future in this school really depended on it. "Where's the fun if you're childhood buddies and don't blackmail the heck out of each other. Besides, don't tell me you don't wanna see Exy in all her glory." When SeolA kept silent, Jooheon knew he had won. "Because you are my friend, I shall not kill you, Jooheonie." SeolA's mouth curled as she watched Jooheon flinch at the nickname. But as he turned back the field, the death glare that Exy practically pierced him with made it all worth it.

"Hyung, just what are you trying to pull." Jooheon glanced to his left, squinting as Minhyuk, one of his aces jogged beside him. "Me?" Jooheon raised his eyebrows. "Yes, you. I don't like how you're playing with Exy." Jooheon's confused expression relaxed with understanding as he smiled at the grumpy girl who sat at the bleachers, staring at the girl team's captain and then typing furiously on her laptop and then at Exy who had finished her warm-up rounds and was now dribbling a ball across the field with Cheng Xiao, her vice captain. But Jooheon could still see the way she was trying her best to not look towards SeolA and really, he had to give it to the younger girl who never failed to surprise him with the amount of self-control she had. The whole soccer team treated each other like family, which meant the boys were fiercely protective of their 'younger siblings'. Everyone knew that if you wanted to date a soccer girl, you'ld have at least 11 boys observing your every move. "I know what I'm doing, Minhyuk. You know I love Exy very much." Minhyuk nodded as he sighed,"I know but please don't go overboard. Exy might really kill you at the rate you're going." Jooheon grinned as he shrugged, increasing his pace and forcing Minhyuk to keep up. "I just really want to see them both happy and this is the only way I know will get them both to move their stubborn asses."

"We'll split half-half, any objections?" Cheng Xiao raised her eyebrows at the cluster of boys and girls and was answered with a chorus of 'no's. Shirts and skins were decided and much to SeolA horror (Jooheon was pretty much dead on laughing his off at this point), her gaze was locked directly on Exy who just ripped off her shirt with a scowl marring her otherwise cute features. "SeolA, you can do this. You have to do this." SeolA muttered to herself reverently as she followed Exy's jog across the field. The girl was ripped! Even from the distance you could tell that the light dips in her flesh was a six-pack. Oh gods, she was totally ed. SeolA forced herself to swallow, knowing that her sudden dry throat had nothing to do with the heat and dryness of the air. "Let's begin, meat-heads!" She heard Exy shout as a competitive smirk fell across her face, causing her stomach to fall to her feet in a heated swoop. Her eyes tracked Exy, who immediately stole the ball from one of the guys in the opposing team and being to skilfully dribble it towards the goal. But just as she neared the goal, she kicked it to her left, allowing Cheng Xiao, who had been running next to her the entire time, to score the goal. The way they hugged after caused SeolA to remember that she actually had work to do (it had nothing to do with the way she almost crushed the piece of paper in her hand, really she wasn't jealous) and she tore her eyes away from the game and back to the somehow mocking laptop screen.

True to his word, Jooheon came jogging over at half-time, running through what SeolA had done and correcting her where ever he could as SeolA grudgingly changed her answers. "You're gonna finish soon, right?" "Aww, does little wittle HyunJung miss me, it's okay, Jooheon oppa is right here." Jooheon purposely hugged SeolA tightly, mashing his face next to hers. "Get off! You're all sweaty!" SeolA screeched as she whacked him in an attempt to get rid of the wet mess that was her childhood friend. "Ow! It hurts! Fine, I'll be back later on." Jooheon pouted as he managed his arm through his shirt. "Love ya!" He winked, sending a huge heart her way and laughed when she sent one back right after he flipped him off. Exy's glare would have frozen hell over a hundred times by now, Jooheon actually feared for his life when Exy made sure to ram into the exact shoulder that had been hit by SeolA, causing him to wince with an unseen small smile that had also wormed its way onto his face. "I think she's going to kill you by the time the match ends." Minhyuk lowly whispered to him as they jogged towards their defense line, thankfully far away from where Exy stood. "I'm not dead yet, my friend. Have some faith, alright?" Jooheon grinned as he watched Minhyuk's uncertain gaze flicker from him to Exy before he just sighed and whacked Jooheon's injured shoulder as well. "Now I've got your back."

"Okay, great game guys!" Jooheon shouted as both teams came together to congratulate each other on a game well played. "Jooheon! Get your damn over here! I'm done with my portion, it's about time you did yours." The entire team heard SeolA's commanding screech from all the way across the field, the distance doing nothing to hamper her originally loud voice. "Coming babe!" Jooheon playfully crowed, earning looks of disapproval from everyone present and a middle finger from the already impatient girl (Exy may have been far away but she still did things to SeolA that she would never in her life be caught talking about). But that was the last straw needed to finally set Exy off. Because as soon as Jooheon turned back to the cluster, Exy had pounced on him, shocking the audience and of course, SeolA herself. She tackled him to the ground, punching every bit of skin she could reach. " you! ING HELL, JOOHEON! Stop rubbing it in my face that she hates me! STOP RUBBING IT IN MY FACE THAT I'LL NEVER HAVE WHAT SHE HAS WITH YOU! Stop reminding me that we will never ever be together! ing hell just stop it!" Exy's voice was cracking by the end, whether it be from her anger or the tears that was begining to run down her face, she would never know. Minhyuk and Shownu eventually managed to restrain the raging girl, pulling her off and away from their laughing captain lying on the grass. Blood was dripping from Jooheon's mouth as he sat up slowly, shakily wiping the blood off his face. The girls were staring at their captain in shock, never before seeing the girl that was usually so calm and composed so derailed as she cried into Minhyuk's chest.

"He's finally lost it..." Another member of the girl's team whispered as they all watched Jooheon collapse back onto the field, body shaking from the force of his laughter. "Soojung! That was exactly what I needed you to say!" He wheezed, grabbing at his rib cage because that girl had actually managed to bruise his ribs. When Exy turned to him, expression confused but still angry, Jooheon had smiled at someone behind her. Stepping away from Minhyuk, Exy's fear-filled eyes widened as they fell on a panting SeolA who had instantly ran over when she saw Exy jump onto Jooheon. And of course, she heard everything. "I... SeolA, I-" Exy's voice shook as she unsteadily stumbled back and then she bolted, sprinting away from everyone, Jooheon and most importantly, SeolA. "Exy!" SeolA shouted after her before she turned towards the idiot on the ground. "What the hell is this, Jooheon?" She snarled as she stalked towards him, grabbing him by his jersey and hauling him up. "Love you too, Hyunjung," Jooheon drawled as he blinked tiredly at his friend. "You planned this, didn't you." It was not a question and when Jooheon had smirked lazily in reply, he felt SeolA's hand connect with his cheek, hard. "You owe me an explanation." She growled before standing up and dashing away in the direction Exy had taken off minutes before. "Go get your girl, SeolA!" He shouted before flopping back onto the ground, missing the way SeolA's lips curled up as she continued running. Jooheon closed his eyes and sighed, only cracking them open when he felt someone slide their arm under him, lifting him to his feet. "Min...hyuk?" He mumbled, everything hurt now, he was starting to regret his beautifully drawn out plan. "C'mon, let's get your sorry to the infirmary." Minhyuk sighed as he supported his captain away, the others all breaking off to go home. "Minhyuk. Didn't I do a good job?" "The very best."

By the time SeolA had gotten to the building, there was no sight of the soccer girl anywhere, causing SeolA to panic because she had been so close to catching her. As she wrung her hands in despair, she finally noticed a small trail of soil that lead her towards the gardens. She would have grinned in triumph, if not for the small sniffles she could hear from the branches of one the trees. "Exy?" She called tentatively, frowning when the crying stopped so suddenly, she worried that she was begining to hear things. "Exy, please, I know you're there. There are scratch marks on the trunk of this tree from your cleats." SeolA was standing under the furthest tree from the entrance, leaning on the trunk as she peered up into the leaves. If she squinted, she could just make out the black stripes of the jersey, sight already becoming a lot worse due to the fading light. "Exy?" She called, wincing when a raspy replied her, "What do you want?" SeolA took a deep breath as she continued trying to find Exy. "Can you come down?" She tried and minutes past before she heard a slight rustle and Exy dropped out of the tree right in front of her. "What do you want?" She repeated, her voice hard but red-rimmed eyes darting everywhere, focusing on anything but the girl standing in front of her. And that just made SeolA's heart crack because how could she have been so blind? "I'm sorry." 

"Sorry for beating up, Jooheon. I know how important he is to you." Exy swallowed as she forced out. Honestly, she wanted nothing more than to curl up into a ball in the branches of the tree because no one would be able to see her in her lowest moment as she bawled her eyes out. She had just punched the person who had been running though her mind since the start of school's childhood friend, there had to be a level in hell just for people like her. Let's not forget how she had just admitted her deepest secret of being so jealous of something she could never have. Oh God, just what had SeolA reduced her too. "Sorry for letting you hear that too." Exy felt tears prick the corner of her eyes and released a shaky breath as she took a small step back, eyes on her shoes. "I know you hate me and all and I must seem so pathetic liking you like this." Exy gritted her teeth, taking another deep breath as she squeezed her eyes shut, willing herself to wake up from this nightmare. But when she opened them, she was still very much standing in the garden, with SeolA's shoes right in her line of vision. Exy startled, jumping backwards and ready to run away again when SeolA's hand curled around her wrist and she forced herself to ignore the tiny sparks that sent shivers down her spine.

"You have nothing to apologise for." SeolA's gentle voice caused her head to shoot up in alarm, a protest already ready to jump out of because who hated another with so much passion if she had not done anything to anger her before, when suddenly a pair of soft lips covered hers, successfully shutting her up. When SeolA stepped back, Exy saw that there were tears glistening in the depths of her eyes as well. "If there's anything anyone should be apologising for, it should be me. I'm sorry for being so mean to you, Soojung. But the truth was, you were so nice to me in the beginning, I began falling for you so hard, I was terrified." Exy opened but SeolA placed one finger over it, shushing her. "Let me speak, please." And when she nodded, SeolA continued. "There was no way you would like me back, right? So I told myself I had to make you hate me, so it would be easier to hate you." Exy blinked as the words sunk in, finally registering whatever that was said. "You wanted me to hate you?" She breathed before shoving SeolA back so that her back was pressed against the tree trunk, Exy's body flushed against hers. Even in the fading light, Exy didn't miss the way SeolA's eyes dropped to her lips before shooting back up again to meet her eyes. "You're so stupid. Why would I not like you." Exy leaned closer and smiled as she heard SeolA's breath hitch. "You are beautiful." Kiss. "Perfect." Kiss. "Smart." Kiss. "Helpful." Kiss. "And best of all, mine." Exy growled into SeolA's ear before capturing SeolA's lips in a bruising kiss, feeling the other girl melt into her arms. When she pulled away, SeolA was flushed, her breaths coming out in uneven pants, eyes practically shining in the darkness. "

Later on at night, SeolA was lying in bed when her phone rang.
"Yeah?"
"So how did it go?"
"Classified information, you idiot."
"Oh my! My little HyunJung got laid! Holy, the boys owe me so much cash now!"
"Shut up! I didn't get laid, !"
"Aww..."
"If you have nothing constructive to say, I'm hanging up."
"Wait wait! What do you have to say to me?"
"She would like to say that we would like to sleep now and your annoying voice is getting on our nerves. Oh, and thanks."
"Hold up, is that Exy? Exy is with you now?"
"Bye Jooheonie~"
"Wait! Wait, wait, wai-!"
"You shouldnt have spoken you know."
"Why not?"
"So he wouldn't get his cash."
"Oh. Ah well, whatever. He can take his cash, I've got you."
"Damn, I didn't know you were so suave."
"There's a lot of things you don't know about me~"
"Behave, Chu Soojung! We have school tomorrow. And don't pout at me like that, you know that we have a test tomorrow."
"Can I at least hug you to sleep?"
"...Goodnight Exy, I love you."
"Yay! Goodnight, HyunJung. I love you too."