1/1

a cold

Kihyun pushes his glasses up his nose, eyes glancing sideways at the boy in the corner. He holds his pen tight in his hands while his focus slips loose; words enter in and out of his ears while he gathers courage to sneak a look at the boy. No one else seems to notice him, anyway, so it doesn't matter.

 
Slowly, he turns his head to the right, eyes sweeping across the room. Trying to make it as casual as possible, he glances at the boy for a second- just enough to swallow the details. Then, he snaps his head back to his notes and tries not to feel the warmth in his cheeks.
 
He looks so good today, runs through Kihyun's mind. The boy he admires had on a flannel shirt ed to show a white tee, donning black jeans and sneakers. His hair was styled today; the usual bangs were pushed up and away from his forehead. And of course, the almost ethereal profile of himself.
 
Kihyun closes his eyes as he attempts to push down the blush. Focus, he thinks and grips his pen harder. Shaking his head, he lets out a little sigh and looks up at the board again, writing down whatever he's missed.
 
From the corner of his eye, Changkyun sneaks a peek at the boy in glasses and grins to himself.
 

 

 
 
The next morning, Kihyun shuffles into class, sniffling into his sleeves. His head is hurting and nose is runny, but a mere cold is nothing compared to missing out his statistics class, so he has to manage for the rest of the hour. Besides, there's the tissue box he brought from his room that can help him.
 
Groaning, he slips into his usual seat and collapses on the table, burying his head in his arms. Everyone is noisy today- it's not helping the pounding in his head. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath, willing for the migraine to go away. Maybe if he imagines that it's not there, the migraine will really disappear.
 
He feels a warm presence sliding in the space beside him. A finger pokes his arm. Kihyun frowns into his elbow.
 
"Hey, you okay?" a deep voice asks. Without looking up, Kihyun groans in reply.
 
"Do you wanna go to the nurse?" the deep voice continues. Kihyun shakes his head.
 
Sighing, he sits up and presses his head into his palm. "It's just a cold. Nothing I can't handle." 
 
"Oh." The person pauses. "I have tissues if you want." 
 
"No thanks," Kihyun says. "I have some too."
 
But the person is pressing something into his arm. "Here. Some painkillers," he says insistently.
 
Kihyun pulls away from his hands and glances down at the pills. He smiles and looks into the person next to him. "Thanks- oh."
 
The person was the boy- the boy he'd admired for so long. The boy with the ethereal profile, mussed brown hair and a shy smile. The boy who sits by windows and stares out into the skies, pretty eyes gazing over the view. The boy with a quiet charm who just as quietly stole his heart.
 
Stiffening, he drops his gaze and takes the pills. A warmth starts spreading from his neck above.
 
The boy next to him giggles. Kihyun turns away, not wanting to be anymore bashful. 
 
A hand extends from the other boy. Surprised, he follows the hand and looks at the boy's eyes.
 
"I'm Changkyun. You?"
 
Kihyun purses his lips, willing to prevent a goofy smile from showing. "I'm...I'm Kihyun."