The Awkward Start

The Devil's Number

Chapter 1: The Awkward Start

Because everything starts a little awkardly...


Strolling with her pink suitcase, Nam Seo Eun - or rather, Nam Hyun Shik, made her way to Room 302. The corridors were rather empty, and she wished it would have been a little more hectic to settle her nerves.

This was going to be tough.

One last sigh and she mustered up the courage to open the dormitory door. 'Goodbye Seo Eun,' she told herself mentally as she entered the room.

'Hello. We are SHINee!" They chorused together, bowing politely. They had been expecting her - or well, expecting him.

"Hello, I'm Hyun Shik." She replied back, returning the politeness and then resuming silence.

So...Well, this was awkward.

The SHINee members exchanged nervous glances, Taemin scratched his head and Onew stood, rather awkwardly, against the fridge.

There was a forced cough, one of the members nudged another, and Jonghyun - as she could recognise, stood up anxiously.

"Welcome to our dorm, nice to meet you. Erm...I'm Jonghyun and, uhm, we'll take good care of you." He said, giving a quick smile at the end to portray some kind of friendliness.

'At least he tried,' She thought sympathetically, as she noticed the youngest, Taemin, glancing at her with an unreadable expression on his face.

"You should go unpack your bags." Minho said bluntly, "Taemin can help you."

Hyun Shik watched Taemin's eyes widen in fear, he looked at the floor anxiously and, after Key poked him in the leg, stood up rather reluctantly.

"Follow me please...I'll show you our room,"

She followed him closely behind, as they walked towards one of the bedrooms; "Minho & Taemin" was stuck on the door elaborately, in childish bubble writing.

As the door opened and closed, the distinct, yet faint voices of the rest of the members broke out in the living room.

They were probably talking about her.

She looked at the youngest member curiously; he was eyeing her with suspicion, what did he want?

Without any conversation, Hyun Shik ped her suitcase and began piling her clothes in one of the spare drawers they had provided for her. 'So, they are kind of thoughtful.' She thought hopefully.

After packing she looked back up at Taemin, and finally found the courage to ask him; "What are you looking at?" 

"What's that?" he replied cautiously, pointing at the glint of a silver chain that stuck out of her pocket. She paused and took it out.

"It's a necklace." She said, stating the obvious. He gulped; there was a star charm attached to the chain. 

The door swung open suddenly, letting in a breeze of cold air. Minho entered the room and shut the door behind him.

Silently he pulled out one of the drawers and took out a bedsheet. He fumbled around and placed it on the floor, ‘I guess that’s where I’m going to sleep tonight…’ she thought.

The dormitory was unusually quiet - and, even for a stranger - Hyun Shik could sense something was bothering the members.

They all seemed far too quiet.

Taemin continued staring a while longer at her, and then he walked back to his bed.

She sat down on the bedsheet and sighed.

Not that she was one with high expectations or anything, but she wished the members could’ve been slightly more welcoming. A little nicer, perhaps. She felt like an unwanted guest; an intruder in their lives.

Minho’s daunting presence overwhelmed the room as he returned back from the bathroom and went to lie down.

She could feel his intimidating gaze on her; she panicked, had he already figured out…?

No. That wasn’t possible, she hadn’t given any opportunity for them to realise she wasn’t a boy.

Had she?

Lying down she closed her eyes; life really wasn’t a field full of roses, but she had never imagined SHINee – the friendliest group on TV, to act so anti-social and unwelcoming.

Maybe things would change as time progressed? Or maybe she’d forever remain as the unwanted member.

Time would tell, she was sure of that, at least.


Author's Note: Wow, that was long. Okay don't kill me, I know I made SHINee a bit anti-social but I'll have more fun like that...LOL 
^^ Thanks for the subs & comments ~ !