Chapter 1

Sonata of Temptation

When he was a kid, there was nothing special about Kim Heechul. Growing up, he was considerably average. He was a scrawny boy with a ridiculous haircut just like the rest of the boys in the city. Things were simple at home and even in school. He blended in. Nothing about him stood out except for his itching desire to stand out; it was a quiet, sleepy little town in Kangwondo and Heechul was bent on changing that, and changing himself, even at a young age. He wasn't sure how exactly was he going to do that though, he just knew he wanted it to happen. 

Puberty eventually began to kick in at twelve years old, and along with a growth spurt, Heechul's features slowly grew more defined. His eyelashes grew longer, his eyes rounder, his nose more pointed and his lips fuller. He was still thin, but not too boney. He'd started growing out his hair, despite the school rules, but just by a little bit. Just enough to stand out. Heechul was also twelve years old when he first realized he could get Jungmo to do anything, despite having been friends with him since a few years back.

Sweet, innocent Kim Jungmo with his wide eyes and buck toothed grin that followed Heechul wherever he went. 

Jungmo was younger by a few years, but his height was close to reaching Heechul's own. His dark hair was almost always a mess, and no amount of fixing it helped. Jungmo had always been around, more so than Heechul could even remember, but twelve was when Jungmo's unwavering loyalty made itself more prominent. Heechul knew close to every other kid around town, and they certainly all knew his name as well. But as a friend? Heechul would only hang with Jungmo; he wasn't entirely sure why, and Jungmo never seemed to complain anyway.

It was nice, Heechul had to admit. Jungmo was a good friend, perhaps even the only one he ever needed. Jungmo catered to Heechul a lot too. It was something he figured he could get used to. 

Which was why, on a boring summer day, Jungmo popped up a question that Heechul didn't think he'd ever ask. It was definitely not something Heechul had ever bothered to consider. They were sitting by the edge of the lake just a walk away from Heechul's house, feet submerged in the cool water. Jungmo had been silent that day, more so than usual, which of course didn't go unnoticed by Heechul. He nudged the younger boy's shoulder with his own, raising an eyebrow when Jungmo turned his way. 

"What's the matter?" 

Jungmo smiled at that, clearly pleased that Heechul had noticed. 

"It's nothing much, really," he began to say, turning away from Heechul to look up at the clear blue sky. Heechul wanted to roll his eyes at the dramatic gesture. "I was just wondering if we'll still be friends five years from now." 

Heechul scoffed, "why wouldn't we be? We'll be friends for a long time, Jungmo." 

He turned his attention to the stone pebbles they were sitting by, picking one up and throwing it into the water. Heechul knew Jungmo must have noticed how he didn't want the topic discussed any further, because the silence that followed lasted the rest of the day, up until they were walking back to their respective houses. Silence wasn't entirely new to them, but there was also something awkward in the air. As Jungmo walked alongside Heechul, his fingers were itching along the hem of his shirt, something he'd always done whenever he was nervous or scared. 

Heechul didn't like either possibility. 

When they neared Heechul's house, Heechul stopped walking right before they had to turn the next corner. Jungmo took a few seconds to notice, before stopping himself as well. He glanced back at Heechul, confused for a moment before he took in Heechul's expression. The older boy had his arms crossed against his chest, with one foot tapping impatiently. Heechul wanted an answer to the question he didn't even have to ask, and Jungmo figured he might as well give up because there was no underestimating Kim Heechul. He walked a few steps closer before stopping right in front of him. 

"Well?" 

Jungmo took a deep breath. 

"I'm moving to Seoul in a week." 

Heechul blinked, the short pause giving way to a clearly aggravated answer, "you're moving to Seoul? In a week? And you're only telling me now?" 

He could see the immediate distress reflected in Jungmo's eyes, which were wide with panic and also with guilt. Jungmo explained further that his father wanted to move to a bigger city to earn more money, and maybe even send Jungmo to a good high school while he was at it. Seoul was filled with new experiences, Jungmo parroted what he heard from his own father, hoping it would convince Heechul that it was a good idea just like how his father tried to convince him; Heechul knew Jungmo complained- even without asking, he knew the other boy must have tried something to stay. He knew Jungmo must have talked to his parents about it and reasoned out, because that's the type of friend Jungmo is. 

Heechul knew, but he got mad anyway. 

He had stormed off ahead, knowing how Jungmo would follow behind him, asking him to wait. So Heechul stopped and stared, glaring at Jungmo to the best of his abilities, ignoring the stinging at the back of his eyes. While he was giving Jungmo a cold look, the younger boy stared back at him with the opposite expression, an earnest look on his face that showed everything he felt. He even managed to smile, which made Heechul angrier except to have his emotions quell down when Jungmo finally spoke again. 

"You said it yourself, right, Heechul?" Jungmo smiled a little bit more, hoping Heechul would do the same. "We'll be friends for a long time?" 

Heechul didn't answer.

Jungmo- sweet, innocent, loyal Jungmo with wide eyes and a buck toothed grin that Heechul figured he would never see again after that day. Jungmo was the only person Heechul would tolerate having around, but in the week before he left, Heechul refused to see him. He declined all his calls and brushed it off when his mother asked if something was wrong, if they fought with each other or something of the sort. His mother knew Jungmo and his family were leaving soon. Even Heechul knew the usual reaction to such a thing was to spend as much time with the person leaving as he could, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. 

He couldn't bring himself to say good bye, mainly because he'd never imagined losing Jungmo of all people. 

The week passed by quickly, and Heechul picked himself up and moved on.