Cowboys & Angels

Cowboys & Angels - Hoya

Rays from the sun began to peak over the horizon, the soft click of your boots against the cobblestone echoed through the quiet barn as a whinny came from the pasture, greeting you warmly to the day. Passing through a large door, you grabbed a halter and lead rope, after checking the board of horses you had to ride that day. A cool morning breeze rustled through the leaves of the trees while you walked up to the pastures beautifully outlined on the hill above.

Fumbling with the gate, the metal clinked echoed into the quiet morning air, the sound of horses breathing, their ears perky and on alert as an engine fired up, signaling their breakfast was coming. Scanning the pasture with the herd, you locked the gate behind you and began to head towards your first horse of the day, Rocket. A large Thoroughbred Stallion, beautiful dark bay color with his long black mane and tail blowing in the morning breeze.

“Ready to go work?” You cooed, reaching Rocket’s shoulder as you turned and placed the lead rope over his neck. With his dark nose turning into you, you smiled seeing the white snip between his nostrils. Guiding the halter around his nose, you guided the halter strap behind his ear and buckled it securely.

The gold name plate reflected the light as it shined with every twist and turn it made. Folding the lead rope in your hand, you gave him a soft cluck with your tongue as he began to walk forward and follow you. The engine of the four wheeler, caught your attention when you got to the gate, a handsome man straddled the machinery with a trailer behind. Opening the gate, you let him pass through first, his beautiful white teeth greeted you in a smile as he bowed his head and pulled his worn baseball cap to say thanks.

Once he was into the pasture, you guided Rocket out and locked the gate before heading down to the barn.

Grooming and saddling Rocket up didn’t take you much time, walking down the aisle, the sound of his shoes clicked and clacked against the cobblestone, closing your eyes for a second, you basked at the sound before the cobblestone turned to dirt. Adjusting your eyes to the sun, you walked Rocket into the outdoor arena. Closing the gate behind you, you checked all of your tack, making sure the girth was snug and the bridle was adjusted correctly. Checking your stirrups last, you let them hang before mounting up and sitting atop your tall steed.

Starting all of your work outs for the day the same, keeping the reins long as they stretched and warmed their muscles before you began seeing how they felt that day. Moving from the walk to the trot, you worked on making sure that they were soft and supple obeying every command perfectly until you moved up into the canter. Evaluating each horse every time, you rode became routine, second nature. Then when you were finished, you would kick your feet out of the stirrups and let them hang while the horse walked on a long reign, catching their breath and letting their muscles stretch.

Horse after horse, you worked on little things here and there, tweaking little things to help the horse move and respond better. Giving their neck a rub once for their reward, while a smile moved onto your lips.

Little did you know, the man that fed the horses, cleaned and maintained the property was watching you from behind the tractor. A crescent wrench in one hand and an oil rag in the other, he lifted his eyes to see you ride the beautiful animals, taking a break from his work. Leaning against the metal tractor, his mouth opened in awe wondering how something so beautiful ride so well.

Hearing your voice in the distance, praise the horse you were riding, he smiled before turning his attention back to his project.

“How was your ride?” Hoya, the maintenance man, asked while sweeping the aisles

“It was really good, Penny is getting the hang of things” You smiled, patting her neck as you exchanged the bridle for the halter.

“I don’t think we got the chance to properly introduce ourselves.” Hoya shifted the broom to his left hand, so he could hold out his right for you. “My name is Lee Howon but you can call me Hoya.”

“Nice to meet you Hoya” You extended your hand to meet his, shaking it firmly, “I’m _________”

“I-I was watching you ride and I couldn’t help but notice how beautifully you ride” Hoya wrapped both of his hands around the handle of the broom, trying to keep his shaking hands from behind noticed.

“Thank you, I just have worked with them a while is all” You answered trying to be modest

“Hey, if you are going to be around for dinner time, would you like to help me feed?” Hoya questioned, taking a chance to get to know you better and to have some help.

“I think I should be done with horses by then, if I am then I can help you” You smile over at him as he happily nodded, tipping his hat slightly to you, he let you finish your rides for the day.

Just like you planned, you finished riding all of the horses you were assigned to just before the sun started to drift towards the horizon. Walking the last horse, Captain Brownie, back to his pasture for the night, you hung up his halter in the halter box and made sure you secured the gate before the familiar sound of an engine caught your attention.

Turning your head slightly, you watched the horses’ heads lift and look in the direction of the motor, whinnies filled the air as the horses walked or trotted towards the gates in anticipation. A smile formed on your lips when you saw the familiar baseball hat peak over the small hill leading up to the pastures. Hoya’s strong form sat atop of a four wheeler, pulling a trailer behind him filled with four bales of hay, his farmer’s tan showing as his slightly dirty shirt showed off his hard work for the day.

Rolling up to right in front of the gate, he turned off the engine and rested his arms across the handlebars, his fingers pulling his sheepskin gloves, his beautiful brown eyes glanced up at you, a smile pulling on his lips.

“Is that offer to help you feed still open?” You questioned, one of your thumbs hooking into the pocket of your jeans, slightly twisting your hips in nervousness.

A soft chuckle came from his lips as he rubbed his hands together a moment, keeping his gaze from yours before he slowly looks up at you. “It’s always open for you”

Sliding forward on the seat, he smiled at you before you grabbed the gate and shooed the horses back as he started up the four wheeler and pulled through the open gate. Giving you a wink as a thank you, blush filled your cheeks as you closed the gate and began to walk to the other gate. Watching Hoya cut the twine around the hay, he expertly grabbed a few flakes of hay and tossed it into the feeder for the horses. Tossing a few more flakes into the pen, he then mounted the four wheeler and twisted the right handle before he approached you.

Blinking a few times, you snapped yourself out of how he was slowly making his way into your heart. Opening the gate, he smiled and nodded his head in thanks before pulling through. Pasture after pasture, his routine was the same, until, he pulled through the last gate. Latching the gate and securing it for the night, you turned to see Hoya sitting there, turned back to look at you.

Patting the spot behind him on the four wheeler, you hesitated a moment, a kind and warm smile pulled on the corner of his lips as he softened his gaze. Not being able to resist those big beautiful eyes of his, you smiled and carefully walked over to the quad.

Holding out his hand for you, you gently slipped your hand into his before your other hand rested on his shoulder balancing yourself as you swung your hip and leg over the four wheeler. With a smile on his lips, he carefully guided your hand down around his ribs.

“Hang on” He advised, looking over his shoulder at you. Sliding your hand from his shoulder to around his side, you smiled as you felt him move the four wheeler beneath the two of you.

“What other chores do you have to do?” You questioned over the engine

“Just a few” He replied, “Would you like to help?”

“Sure, if I can be of some help” You answered just loud enough to be heard over the engine

“You can always help. I’m not one to turn down a beautiful girl who likes to work” With that comment, he unmounted the quad, leaving you sitting on the back of the quad for the moment as he loaded up the emptied trailer with bags and muck buckets.

Once it was loaded, he stood next to the quad and looked at you.

“W-What are you doing?” You stammered, unsure of how to take the situation

“Have you driven one of these things before?” Hoya questioned, his thumbs hooking onto his pockets.

“I don’t think so” You looked back at the machine, waiting for Hoya to step back on.

“Well there won’t be any better time to learn” Hoya smirked, your eyes snapping up to meet his.

“A-A-Are you serious?!” You exclaimed

“Slide up cowgirl, you’re driving” Hoya giggled, feeling butterflies form in your stomach from hearing him call you cowgirl gave you a newfound confidence.

Sliding up, he mounted the quad behind you, his hands resting on your hips as he looked over your shoulder. Teaching you how this machine works, you nodded along while his sweet voice spilled into your ear and his warm breath across your skin. With a few jerky starts and stops, you soon got the hang of the machine.

Feeling Hoya’s hands gently rest on your hips, he smiled enjoying being a passenger for once rather than being the one driving. Going from place to place, you did all of your stops before the two of you went to the manure pile. Turning off the machine, you helped Hoya dump the buckets and place the buckets back in the trailer to be used again.

Mounting the machine once more, Hoya stepped on first, taking the driver’s seat as you slid behind him, your hands wrapped around his torso loosely as you waited to hear the roaring of the engine starting up, however, all you heard was the crickets rubbing their legs together.

“Aren’t you going to start it? Or did you forget how?” You teased, lightening the mood a little

“I didn’t forget, I just love nights like this” He sighed softly, his eyes lifting to the broad expanse of stars that slowly shined, one by one.

“Why would that be?” You questioned, your hands falling from his torso slightly as your eyes lifted to the cloudless blanket of glittering stars.

“Can you think of anything better than looking up at the stars after a long day and having a gorgeous girl helping you?” Hoya questioned, his eyes still scanning the galaxies above.

“Well I would exchange the girl for a strapping and handsome man” You chuckled, earning a chuckle from Hoya as well.

“Depends on where you are sitting, I guess” Hoya gently rested his hand on your leg, slightly above your knee.

Silence overtook your conversation, not that you minded, you focused on his gentle touch. His thumb brushing over your jeans as the two of you let the night sink into your thoughts. Relaxing your mind and body as a cool breeze brushed over your skin.

“Have you been on some of the trails around here?” Hoya questioned, his body turning to you

“I haven’t…” You quietly admitted, knowing that you spend more time in the indoor arena than any other place on the property.

“Can I take you out tomorrow?” Hoya offered, taking a leap of faith in hopes that you would say yes.

“I’d like that” You smiled, nodding your head as well

“I’ll meet you in the aisle at noon” Hoya smiled as his eyes locked with yours for a moment

“Usually girls would like to meet guys down the aisle” You teased, throwing in a wedding joke due to all of your friends that have been getting married recently.

“You’ll get to do that too” Hoya turned around and started the engine with a smile on his lips, already making plans for the future if everything goes to plan.

Lifting your eyes once more, you watched the stars while your arms s around his torso. Holding onto him tightly, you felt the quad move under you as you slowly leaned forward and rested yourself against him. Your head on the back of his strong shoulder while you moved with each breath he took.

Taking the long way back to the barn, he went slower than usual, not wanting to disturb you as well as wanting this moment to last as long as it can. Loving the way your arms fit around him, how you hold him, how your breaths match his, yet the stars didn’t compare to the ones that were shining in your eyes.

On the day of your date, you pulled into the dirt parking lot, parking in your usual spot. Flipping down your visor, you ran your fingers through your hair slowly, fixing a few fly away hairs underneath your straw cowboy hat. Taking in a deep breath to calm your nerves, you opened the door of you truck and slipped from the driver’s seat. Closing the door behind you, you fixed your plaid shirt that was ed up top, showing off a cute white tank top underneath. Your jeans flattered your figure while you wore your favorite boots, giving you confidence and making you feel beautiful.

Hearing the dirt underneath your boots as you walked, you slipped your hands into your back pockets trying to prepare yourself for anything that Hoya had planned for the day. Walking into the barn you turned the corner to find Hoya standing in the middle of two magnificent horses. Seeing you come into view, a bright smile pulled his lips back, showing off his beautiful pearl like teeth.

“You look beautiful” He breathed, his grip tightening on the horses reins around their neck, “As always…”

“Thank you, you look very handsome too, love the shirt” You smiled seeing that he dressed up for you, his baseball hat was exchanged for a black felt cowboy hat while his dirty t-shirt was instead a beautiful pearl snap, button down that flaunted his tan and brown eyes perfectly. Clean jeans hugged his legs and dusty boots rounded out his look.

“Thank you” He blushed as one of the horses nudged him as you walked over to him.

“What do you have planned?” You questioned, lifting your hand and letting the horses sniff your scent before running your hand from their forehead down to their nose.

“How does a trail ride sound?” He answered your question with a question as your eyes moved from the set of horses to his.

“Fantastic” You sang happily as Hoya held out on of the horses for you to take.

Walking the two horses out of the barn, you checked your girth and all of your tack, adjusting your stirrups before you slipped your left foot into the stirrup and hoisted yourself up and over the horses’ back. Swinging your right leg up and over to the other side gracefully, Hoya watched in awe as you mounted the horse with ease. Finishing up shortly after you, he mounted and walked his horse next to you.

“Which way would you like to go?” Hoya questioned, letting out a little slack in his reins.

“Why don’t you choose, I like surprises” You smiled over at him, nodding his head, he squeezed his legs together and began to walk, the two of you walking together down the double track trail.

Following the trail, the two of you passed through gulley’s, hills, and through dense forests, crossing a river or two, the two of you found yourself in the heart of the mountains. With nothing around you, no buildings, electricity, other humans or troubles. The two of you laughed and talked on your little adventure.

Climbing to the top of a plateau, tall grasses blew in the gentle breeze, small wildflowers added some color to the green ocean of grass. Stopping the horses for a moment, you looked across the horizon and smiled as you looked over at Hoya.

“Race ya!” You called, quickly bringing your horse into a dead run, you smiled, glancing back behind you, seeing Hoya’s horse gaining ground quickly, you lifted yourself up from the saddle, bringing your hands forward and following the motion of the horse with your arms, the rest of your body stayed still, feeling like you were flying across the grassy expanse.

Reaching a distant oak tree, you passed the tree first as you happily slowed your horse, turning to see Hoya, running past the tree a few short seconds later.

“How’d you get so good?” Hoya chuckled, catching his breath from the adrenaline rush as he pulled his horse next to yours as you let them walk and stretch their muscles.

“Maybe practice?” You tried not to boast or be too prideful.

“Maybe… or it could be because you are a woman of many talents” Hoya blushed while the words spilled from his lips.

“That could be it too” You whispered, not wanting to make him feel bad as the two of you walked back to the oak tree.

“What do you say to some lunch?” Hoya questioned as he dismounted his mount next to the tree.

“Did you bring any food?” You questioned, looking around, not seeing any food on either horse.

A smirk curled onto Hoya’s lips as he unbuckled one of his saddle bags behind his saddle and pulled out a small sandwich to show you.

“You’re a man of many talents as well” You smiled, unmounting your steed as you walked over to him.

“Undo your saddle, we will let these guys graze while we eat” Hoya smiled as he loosened the cinch and pulled the saddle off in a single sweeping motion.

Watching his muscles press against the fabric of his shirt, you watched him as he slid the bridle from the horse’s head. Gentle of the bit falling from the horse’s mouth before he patted his mount’s neck before the beautiful horse walked on, finding a patch of grass to feast on. Following his lead, the two horses roamed together as Hoya carefully undid the bedroll behind his saddle and unfolded it, laying it down across the tall grass as he brought over the food for the two of you.

“You’re just full of surprises, aren’t you?” You admitted while taking a seat on the worn blanket below.

“Maybe…” Hoya sang before lifting his eyes to you, “Maybe I just want to impress you…”

“I’m impressed” You remarked as he placed a delicious looking sandwich in front of you, a bottle of water and a bag of chips for the two of you to share.

Unwrapping the sandwich, you slipped a bite into your mouth as you hummed being one of the most flavor filled and delicious sandwiches that you have ever eaten. The two of you eat peacefully together, Hoya leaned against the tree as you slowly moved next to him, brushing shoulders as you leaned back against the trunk. Finishing your lunch, you moved over closer to him, just to avoid falling from the round trunk.

“Would you like to play a little game?” Hoya questioned, finishing off his water and pushing the wrappers aside.

“Sure, what is the game?” You questioned, looking at him curiously.

“Well you each say something that you like and then the other person has to say something that they like” Hoya tried to explain it to the best of his ability.

“Sure! Sounds like fun” You smiled brightly

“You can go first” Hoya offered as you nodded, trying to find something that you liked.

“Well I can say I like trail rides now” You giggled as he chuckled, nodding his head

“I like when the sun goes through the leaves of the trees then you get the slight shadows” Hoya admitted, seeing the shadows of the leaves across his jeans and the blanket.

“I like it when you see all of the stars in the galaxy” You smiled, looking over at him, bringing up the night that you two had finished chores together.

“I like it when I hold a beautiful girl in my arms” Hoya admitted gently, his arms opening letting his body language speak to you.

“I like it when a guy wraps his arms tightly around me, my head on his chest with a gentle breeze blowing” You smiled as you read his body language, wanting you to come closer, you carefully moved against his shoulder as one arm wrapped around you.

Several turns later, you found yourself between his legs, your body resting against him while his arms wrapped around your torso. Your fingers gently played with his while your head rested on his chest. A gentle breeze rustling the leaves above as the two of you talked.

“You know, there is something else I like” Hoya added, not finding too many more things to say

“Oh? What would that be?” You questioned, your eyes opening and lifting to look up at his complexion.

“I like you” Hoya confessed quietly, his fingers gently brushing some hair out of your eyes and tucking it behind your ear, “I like you, a lot”

“I like you too, cowboy” You whispered softly, falling for more than his good looks but his golden heart and kind soul that time could only show.

I’ve got boots, and she’s got wings
I’m hell on wheels and she’s heavenly
I’d die for her and she loves me for me
I’m not sure why her path crossed mine…
Accident or Grand Design… Maybe God just likes
Cowboys and Angels