Prologue - Hallway Fire

Tall Boys in Pink

At Seoul Highschool, ones GPA is more important than ones mental stability or physical well being. Get good grades and you’ll do well in life. To Kibum that’s utter bull. Get drunk, go clubbing, a few men—now that’s the good life. He’s only 18, but he’s done it all—stole a pack of cigarettes that he tried to smoke once and failed, went to the club, got drunk and had with both men and women. to him was about preference, whether they were male or female—it didn’t matter as long as he enjoyed it. But he admits that he’s a grandma’s boy and tries soooo hard to stay out of trouble or atleast to keep his trouble away from her ears.

Kibum thinks that wild was implanted in his DNA when he was born and intelligence as well, he just chose the latter because he was tired of that rigid, middle-school smartass back in the day. Now he just wanted to let go and what better way to do it then to cause hell?

“Hey, Kibum,” Taemin—his right hand little brat—pesters beside him. Kibum looks to him dazedly, his thoughts elsewhere. “What is it?”

“We were all planning on getting something to eat during fifth period, do you wanna come?” Taemin asks; now Taemin was a special case, he was the only one Kibum really spoiled. He still called him a brat, but it was more a form of endearment than a jab. His little gang was called the Foxes, they consisted of all the high-school trouble makers and “failures”. There was Nicole, the only female of the Foxes and then Hyeongseop—a little airheaded but his height came in handy. The others aren’t worth mentioning as of right now being that they were in trouble with Kibum a few weeks ago over making fun of his hair. He had dyed his roots a burgundy color and swept his bangs to the side. They mocked him and hollered like he were a comedy special. Kibum punished them and kept the style, it made him stand out. “No…you all can go, I think I’ll just get something from the vending machine.” Kibum replies. “Ya sure?”

“Yeah, yeah.” He waves Taemin off as he sits atop his desk. Taemin grumbles something under his breath as he saunters out of the classroom. The door slides shut and Kibum bounces to his feet. He was crazy without coffee and it was bad, he needed his caffeine fix to get through the day, if he didn’t have it then he’d be even more of an than he already was. He walks out of the door in which Taemin had exited a few moments ago and looks up and down the hall. There were a few groups hanging out in the hall and talking amongst themselves. Kibum didn’t associate himself with certain types of people—the one’s that thought they were better than everyone else and the ones that always had a textbook shoved up their asses. Such a person went by the name of Kim Jonghyun—the school’s ace. Kibum just thought he was short and stuck-up, like a wind up toy puppy. Kibum didn’t exactly want to develop the mental capacity it took to actually hate Jonghyun, instead he stayed away from him and tried his best to ignore Jonghyun whenever he would call on him. “Fight me.” Kibum would think as Jonghyun pestered him to do something in class. It didn’t have to be stated, but there was a mutual understanding between the two…that yes…they hated each other.

“Kibum-hyung!” a bubbly voice calls out to him, Kibum stops in his tracks and immediately regrets it after the person bounds up to him. “Hyung!” It was BamBam, one of the younger classmen that had a little “crush” on him. Kibum didn’t mind his company, it was nice from time to time, but after a while it became a bit annoying. BamBam would and make fun of him; sometimes the others would joke about them dating, but to Kibum, Bambam was like a brother to him.  “What is it?”

“I was just looking for you.” Bambam replies lightly punching Kibum in his shoulder before smiling broadly. “Yeah, yeah, I have to go though Bambam, so—“

“Are you going to go partying again tonight?” Bambam asks and Kibum scoffs. “On a school night.” He laughs. “Noway.” Hell yes, I’m gonna get drunk and let loose. “Really?” Bambam tilts his head and Kibum rolls his eyes with a groan. “Stop bothering me for today…” Kibum trudges away from him, strutting his way down the rest of the hall. He had a lot on his mind; his mother and her worry for his grades, the last time he actually gave a flying about anything in general and his skin. Kibum always made sure his skin was flawless, his bedtime routine taking up to 45 minutes as he went through all the steps. He was rough and rugged, but wanted smooth, flawless skin. It made the ladies swoon and the men weak.  And it made him feel good about himself, especially when everyone else spent their time bringing him down.

He heaves a sigh as he comes to a stop in front of the vending machine, with his hands on his hips, he rolls his neck and claps his hands. The girls huddled around the machine jump and their eyes widen upon seeing him. “Hello,” he greets with a slight wave of his hand. They bow deeply before hurrying past him. “That’s no fun…” he mumbles to himself stepping up to the machine and looking through the collection of soda’s and flavored teas. “No, no, no…ew.” He scrunches his nose up. It was coffee he needed and there was only one left. “Oh!” his expression brightens upon seeing the iced beverage.

“Oh, Jonghyun-oppa!” a girl squeals from behind Kibum, a pair of feet padding their way up to him. But Kibum doesn’t take notice of them, too busy shuffling through his pockets for some spare change. “I know I have some…” he mumbles; the padding stops and Jonghyun stands directly behind Kibum. He couldn’t see over his shoulder for obvious reasons—Kibum was just too tall. “Excuse me,” he interjects politely, Kibum spins around almost knocking Jonghyun back. “Ooooh,” Kibum’s neck cranes towards Jonghyun and he crosses his arms over his chest. “Class President.” He says smugly and Jonghyun smiles thinly. “Kibum-ssi, could yo—“

“No need for the honorifics.” Kibum slugs him in his shoulder. “Just call me Kibum.” He grins tossing Jonghyun a wink, the president mentally gags to himself before brushing past Kibum. To him, Kibum was like a parasite of all things bad. His failures were contagious—the good kids became bad, but it was never vice-versa. Kibum clicks his tongue before facing the vending machine and stuffing his coins into the slot. Jonghyun watches him, his gaze drifting to the single iced-coffee in the machine. “Ah, perfect.” He waits for Kibum to slip his coins in watching as he hit the two digit combo. D-3….the coffee. “So you like coffee too, President?” Kibum asks rocking on the heels of his shoes. Jonghyun nods warily. “Funny thing is, I do too!” Kibum hollers pressing enter. “And I just got the last one~” he wags his finger back and forth in front of Jonghyun’s face. “You…what…” Jonghyun begins to ask and then Kibum’s bending down to retrieve the canned coffee. He was even humming a happy little jingle. “.” Jonghyun grumbles so that the girls still giggling behind them wouldn’t hear. “Certified as well.” Kibum says tossing the coffee back and forth in his hands and smirking. It would have been charming and kind of cute if only Jonghyun didn’t hate him. “Give it here, I actually use coffee for a good cause.” Jonghyun begins to explain and Kibum snorts. “Like hell you do.” Jonghyun sneers rolling his eyes and stepping towards Kibum. “Do you have nothing better to do than to pick a fight with me?” Jonghyun questions his arms crossed against his chest. “I’m not picking a fight,” Kibum raises the coffee to Jonghyun’s face. “You are if you want this.” Kibum his pink lips and raises a taunting brow. Jonghyun steps closer to him, the tip of his nose touching the mid of Kibum’s chest. “Come and get it shorty.” Kibum taunts raising the coffee up in his hand and leaning down as though he were going to kiss Jonghyun.

“Piece of…” Jonghyun begins to grumble, his eyebrows furrowing, Kibum wiggles his hips his breath hot across Jonghyun’s face. The girls from earlier look to them skeptically. Jonghyun rolls his eyes and in one single swoop he jumps up and swipes the canned coffee from Kibum’s left hand. The girls squeal as they turn to whisper to one another. Kibum stood frozen in shock for a moment before blinking his eyes and looking to Jonghyun who was walking away from him. “Class President!” He shouts, but Jonghyun doesn’t stop walking. Kibum glares rolling up his uniform sleeves and chasing after him. Once he reaches Jonghyun he knocks him in his back. Jonghyun stumbles forward the can toppling out of his hand. It rolls across the floor and for a moment they stand still watching as the can rolled away. They both turn to look at each other and Kibum is the first to grab Jonghyun’s arm holding him in place as he inches towards the coffee.

Sure he could have gone somewhere else or taken someone else’s coffee, but what he hated most in the world besides losing, was losing to Kim Jonghyun.

“You don’t need it.” Jonghyun grumbles as Kibum holds onto his arm. “Like you do either.”

“I’m a hard-working class president, Kibum-ssi.”

“In bed too?” Kibum cracks and Jonghyun sneers with disgust. “Let go of me.”

“If you promise you won’t make a mad dash to the coffee.” Kibum says and Jonghyun glares. “I don’t make promises with low-life gang members.” Kibum’s bottom lip rolls out into a pout. “You’ve hurt ma fweelings President.” Kibum says in a mock baby voice. Jonghyun stops fighting him and shoves him away forcefully. “What is wrong with you?” he asks, his eyes darting about Kibum’s face, Kibum shrugs, dusting off his uniform and fixing his bangs. “Nothing, I just wanted some coffee.”

“Tch, you’re like an animal…” Jonghyun grumbles brushing roughly past Kibum, their shoulders knock. “You say I’m like an animal, but you’re the one who took up the challenge.” Jonghyun stops midstep. “You just don’t like losing to me, President.” Kibum smiles and ever so slowly Jonghyun turns around to look at Kibum. The fox was smiling, his feline eyes tilted up at the corners. “Sometimes I think that you want to be like me.”

“What?” Jonghyun’s voice rises in pitch and he fully turns to face Kibum. “Be like you?” Jonghyun questions with a scoff, his expression twisting with disgust. “Kibum-ssi—“

“Kibum, please.”

“Kibum,” Jonghyun says through gritted teeth. “You must find amusement in my anger.” Kibum shrugs. “I guess I can admit that I’m a bit of a sadist.” He replies with a soft smile, a glint cast in his brown eyes. Jonghyun shakes his head with a crooked grin. “You can have the coffee if you want it.” Jonghyun grumbles buttoning up his uniform jacket and spinning on the heels of his shoes. He walks away and Kibum stares after him sadly. “I’d rather have you…” he murmurs and Jonghyun freezes. He turns slowly to face Kibum. Kibum stood with a smirk. “…do my homework.” Kibum finishes slapping his knee and guffawing. “You thought!” He shouts pointing at Jonghyun’s whose puppy eyes were even rounder. Kibum crosses his arms over his chest as his obnoxious laugh shakes the halls. Jonghyun’s cheeks flush red and he hurries quickly away from Kibum.

Kibum laughs a bit longer before wiping at his eyes and clearing his throat. His eyes land on the canned coffee still discarded on the floor and he shrugs as he bends to retrieve it.

Of course that wouldn’t be the last time he and Jonghyun got into it. 

 

 

 

 

Dubu Speaking

I'll probably do gifs along the way, but as of right now here is the prologue and the beginning of Jongkey's rival love story~!

I'd love to see what you guys think of gang leader Kibum and Class Pres Jonghyun!

Thanks for subbing and now I must think of a nickname for you guys...

Hmm, how about Pinkish, Centimeters ooooor something else. 

I'll come up with one, thanks for reading!