New Mission

The Line

Chapter One

After having a long shower in the cold weather, my body shivered. My alarm on the phone warned me that I only have few minutes left to go to work. Life at the new Special Police Force is hard as I have to try to out-rank my colleagues while helping Kyungil manage his mafia group. I know that it's shady but I have seen worse at work.

It was only seven pass six in the morning and the Sun started glowing it's luxurious maroon colours in the horizon. The traffic was calm since everyone is getting ready for their daily lives at work. I was called in early today for a special case. I always end up getting drug related deals or illegal black market activity. That's when Kyungil comes in to help me out. Since he wants to make his mafia gang, a 'good' one. Of course he wants to get rid of the trouble-makers. It's a win-win situation. 

After twenty minutes stuck in the long waiting ride to work, I managed to make my way to the conference room. Images and notes of the next mafia gang target was pointed out. Wool revealed connections of the mafia leads along with small notepads that showed their interactions and motifs. I quickly sat down on my seat and listened to my boss giving out new orders.

Again, I was ordered to be a solo investigation of another crime. This group was known to use political parties to help hide their tracks from the police. It seems that they accidentally slipped their tracks of a black auction from Japan. They illegally bought a painting created by a famous artist in Japan. It seemed that the artwork bought by the group was stolen by the 'Japanese Phantom Prince'. I landed on my chair and chuckled to myself.

I hate to admit, but this mafia gang was clever. They had been in the watch for about a year or two. They hardly had any images of themselves. Damn bastards. The only clues I have are images of items taken by the group. I groaned in pain as I was dismissed and told to go to the firing range and to pick up my 'partner'. Another twenty minutes had to be wasted for this bloody partner of mine. They better be good or I am out.

I sighed after revealing my ID to the desk and given permission to go to the secure area. A tall male fired a black engraved handgun. The structure face reminded me of him. God damn it. I shook my head and grabbed my pistol from my jean's pocket. I jokingly aimed the gun at the figure's back and told them to drop the weapon. This is the only time I could lazy about work. The figure carefully dropped the gun and cooperated with me until they grabbed my wrist and aimed my handgun at the target strip.

The flawless cheekbone perfectly got the target's head. The lip piercing glinted from the light reflection. He finally revealed his face with a chuckle.

"About time woman." 
"Hey!" I punched his shoulder. "Not my fault that I'm assigned to a new case." 
Kyungil affectionately hugged me. It's been about a year since we last saw each other in person. "Finally", was his only words. 
I rested my head on his chest and smelled his cologne. "Another mafia gang accidentally spilled and I have to do the job to capture them." I told him about the case. "Out of all people," I whispered. "It had to be you." 
Kyungil smirked at my remark. "Hey, let me have some fun you know." He ruffled my hair and picked up his pistol. "I'm assigned to it as well. Dad told me to go undercover and find these people."

We got into my car, we drove back to the station and revealed about our personal lives from the past year we haven't seen each other. He was a brother to me. A special friend who cannot be replaced by anyone. Although his the perfect boyfriend material, I had no interest in relationships due to my traumatic past and occupation in theSpecial Police Force. I gripped my stirring wheel a bit when I told him about my struggle with depression. I was only ten when I lost both of my parents from a mafia fight. My father helped Kyungil's dad manage his group. Dad was a respected police officer who got rid of the poorly managed government and social group. Although he may seem to be the bad guy, he was actually the good guy.

Because of the memory, blood continued to be my ultimate phobia. I witnessed the beating of my parents. I watched dad getting stabbed and shot several times when protecting me from the Australian Hexer's fourteen years ago. My mother was trying to stop the Hexer's entering home and finding me. I was their target, not my parents. My presence killed them. I felt a tight-knot in my heart when I remembered the horrific scene. Only Kyungil and my boss knows about Dad's connection to the 'good' mafia. He didn't mind as he was able to eliminate the wrong doers and stop unlawful acts.

The red light in front of work got me back to reality as I was beeped by people behind me. Kyungil looked at my direction and noticed my troubled face. With a sigh, I calmly parked the car at the underground parking lot. The elevator ride was awkward as I tried to forget about that memory now. I needed to focus. My colleague, Yijeong was shocked when he noticed the familiar Kyungil. He knew about his secret since he is actually working for him. Yijeong is here as he can give information to Kyungil while having his career as a police enforcer. My senior ordered the three of us to talk to the director of the 1st unit.

Within a small room, the door was locked and we were ordered to sit down. Kyungil formally introduced himself as the new agent appointed by my father's friend. It was promised that Kyungil will punish wrong doers with a lawful act but promised that he won't always do that. The director chuckled at his response but accepted the introduction. I sighed to myself in relief.

With a short glare from me, three more males came into the room. The 'anti-mafia' group consist of members of the mafia itself. Really ironic. Luckily the director created this special task force. He wanted to stop all the corrupted government positions in South Korea and stop bring house arrest to innocent members of the public. The leader of force, Dokyun welcomed Kyungil into his group while Sihyoung nodded his head and Jaeho making jokes of Kyungil's cheekbones.

Ironically, Kyungil got up from his seat which made Jaeho shut his mouth. I couldn't hold the laughter in. It's obvious that youngest were the shortest but not for my case. I was lucky that my high heels made me the same height as Kyungil. The director coughed to grab everyone's attention. We all sat in our spots and began our overview of our new case. I was obviously assigned as the undercover agent again along with suspect interrogation. My favourite part as I am able to learn new body language and test them out in the field. However, I was limited to three suspects while Dokyun, how specialises in facial features hogs it.

We got dismissed during lunchtime. Kyungil had to go back to base as there is tension between him and Luke. Luke is a foreign mafia member who is meant to be Kyungil's half-brother. The two hates each other's guts. Luke's mother was the daughter of the London mafia gang. It's obvious that he wanted the Black Wolves attention. Rumour has it that the two always have fights of roles as they are both in-line as the leader of the group once their father dies. There has been tension since the two has their own ideal goals within the Black Wolves.

I decided to follow Kyungil to his base. After arriving in my unmarked black BMW i8 from work, I parked it in the underground. In sunglasses, I glanced at the gate guards while flashing my personal ID and formally allowed me into the compound with my full name. I nodded my head as I entered four story building.

Ancient South Korean paintings were hang in memory of the Korean War and family heritage of those who have served Kyungil's family from generation. Paintings of his late-grandfather gave me happy memories as I remembered being taken care of him after mum and dad was killed during a mission. I knocked on the tall wooden door without hesitating.

"Who is it?" A husky deep voice was heard. 
I chuckled and slightly opened the door. "It's only me uncle Chungil." I closed the door behind me and sat in front of his desk. "I got a new mission and I was wondering if I could get some help." 
Chungil nodded and grabbed a folder from his bottom draw, "An international mafia, Lake Warriors." 
"They seem pretty big," I opened the folder and found the same images from work's overview. "At least 100 men on base, aye?" I smirked at that comment. 
"Looks like finally Dad made the right choice for once." A voice was heard behind me. Their hand was placed on my shoulder. "Looks like you gotta get back into shape for this mission if you wanna survive." 
"Is this a bet?" I joked. 
"Your call."
"Six months max." I called for my bet and gathered my information. "Thanks for your help Uncle Chungil." I bowed before exiting the room with Kyungil beside me.

Within minutes outside of his father's office, we managed to end up in his own office. It had been about over a year since I have been in this room. The sweet and bitter scent of cologne lingered in my nose and I was attracted by the new small collectable items on Kyungil's desk. His personal grey wolf, Umbra greeted me with his fur. He calmly approached me and sat on my lap on the ground. I am one of the few people that Umbra can approach. He can easily sense danger from the person appearance and won't be revealed until a few months in time. It is like he can smell the future in his nose. I joked at that small theory until being excused for coffee. I accepted the offer and noticed a photo frame of the two of us. It was the only decent of us after college. It was the day that we had to part from each other. Kyungil had to pursuit his career as a mafia member while I had to attend Special Police Force university before actually joining the job. It was tough to be honest. I had to try my best not to mention anything about the South Korean Black Wolves or Kyungil's name at campus. Since it was based in America, of course the mafia was watched. I kept a blind eye until one mission that nearly costed my life.

I accidentally wrote down a small memo of the mission with Kyungil's name circled. The Black Wolves thought I have betrayed them but they were wrong. I only did that as a diversion. I was put on the spot of the mafia group. Of course I carefully gave them false information. I actually called out the Australian Backer's since they illegally sold women to other groups and Kyungil wanted get rid of them. However, Luke took this opportunity to take control of the mafia and order an execution on me. I was never a big fan of Luke. He knows that I am after him, and I know that his after me. It's a 50/50 chance. He ordered his personal guards to surround me during a bloody mission at Washington and ordered them to drag me to him. He tortured me for details. Of course he wanted to get rid of Kyungil but he can't do anything about that cause I know my ways in the Mafia and Special Police Force.

For about a week in an abandoned warehouse a few years ago, I was held hostage. Luke chained my body from the ceiling and left me hanging a few inches off the ground. The pain didn't bother me since I was used to the pain. I was trained by the son of the founder who formed the Black Wolves. Kyungil's grandfather agreed to raise me as an assassin and mafia member while keeping my natural appearance. I hate to admit, but it helped me with my job. It didn't take long Kyungil to find my location and recused me. I passed out when I was freed from the chains. I only recalled being in a coma for two months as I lost quite a lot of blood along with being raised from the ground for about six days.

I came back to reality when I felt warmth around me back. I was hugged. He knew what I was thinking of. He didn't mind as he felt guilty every time I remember that incident. I grabbed the coffee off from him and started drinking it and placed the photo back on the desk. Umbra went back to his corner and peacefully slept. On the other hand, Kyungil quietly sat next to me. I rested my head on his shoulder and watched the snow of Korea fall.