---

strangers (just family)

Taekwoon pulls his earphones off – his ears weren’t failing him, he did hear some weird scratching noises, whimpering, even – what was that? A series of questions race through his mind as the noises get louder; Taekwoon gets up, grabs and rolls up the nearest magazine available and takes soft, careful steps toward the door.

He peers carefully through the peephole – weird, there was no one outside. Sighing in relief because there isn’t anyone murderous-looking standing outside, Taekwoon loosens up his stance and opens the door, just to make sure.

He’s greeted with a little corgi puppy, its fur a beautiful sleek, honeyed brown. Taekwoon recognises it as his (weird, a little too loud) neighbour’s pet. He’s seen it occasionally, sometimes when that neighbour brought it out for short walks in the nearby park, but never this close, this personal. It’s adorable – tail wagging in excitement behind its too-long body, disproportionate short and stout legs supporting itself. Taekwoon melts as he looks into the bright, black eyes of the puppy, somehow sensing a slight feeling of sadness from those very emotion-provoking eyes.

Taekwoon coos softly, bends down to gentle at its fur, chuckles as the puppy nuzzles cutely into his outstretched hand, “Why are you here? Where’s your owner?” (As if he could somehow get a verbal response from this puppy)

The puppy simply lets out a few soft whines, rubbing its snout against Taekwoon’s hand—

“Hey there!”

Taekwoon and the puppy both look up – it’s that neighbour – the puppy, surprisingly, instead of running back towards its owner, steps closer towards Taekwoon, snuggling up comfortably against a not-so-complete stranger.

“Um…this is your puppy right?” Taekwoon asks uselessly, confused and unsure of how to respond. “Why’s he being like this, umm…did something happen?”

“Ahh…yes, that’s my puppy,” neighbour says, nervously scratching behind his ear while the other hand, obviously out of habit, goes up to his (plush) mouth, as the neighbour starts biting (cutely) at them. “I’m your neighbour Jaehwan, by the way.”

Yeah, neighbour, Taekwoon knew that. Jaehwan, come to think of it, the name does sound familiar now; Taekwoon recalls the first day Jaehwan moved in, where he’d (over)excitedly introduced himself, tripping over his words and whatnot. It was…kind of cute. Taekwoon feels his cheeks getting hot as he tries to push those memories away.

“Yeah…I’m Taekwoon?” God, it was so awkward, he was never a social person. “Yeah…uhm…so what happened between you and your dog?”

“Right, about that. Chopper was just being terribly cheeky, he’s usually a good boy but it was just chaotic today; running around the house and messing up everything, he just shredded my papers and that was the last straw – so I shouted at him and sent him out, and obviously, being me, regretted my decision just a few moments after.”

“Wait, Chopper?”

“Yeah, it’s my dog’s name.”

“Why’d you name such an adorable puppy something so…so brutal?”

“What? Not that chopper, you mean you don’t know the anime One Piece?”

Taekwoon shrugs, he never cared for those.

“How could you?” Jaehwan is… visibly crestfallen, “It’s my favourite show ever, and Chopper is my favouritest character of them all!” Jaehwan throws his hands into the air exaggeratedly. Taekwoon’s eyes widen, eyebrow quirking. This kid was weirder than he’d thought.

“Okay…”

“Anyway, back to the point. So I regretted my decision right after, and opened the door to find that Chopper actually ran away! Like, why would anything run away from such a cute, lovely owner? It’s unthinkable.” Jaehwan pouts, shaking his head (soft, fluffy ash-brown hair swishing with the movement). Taekwoon swallows the chuckle.

“So I was thinking, Chopper couldn’t have gone too far out. Then I suddenly recalled how he seemed to like you, and figured he might’ve gone to seek solace at your place. Voilà.”

“Wait, how’d you know it liked me?”

Each time I take him out for walks he’d always stop in front of your house, I always have to pull him away…and whenever we meet you at the park during our walks he’d bark. Don’t worry, it isn’t the mean, menacing type of bark, I am pretty much amazing at translating dog barks. It’s like, the “I like you” kind of bark. Yeah.”

“Oh” Taekwoon smiles as he lifts the dog up and puts it in his lap. “I see.”

“But Chopper really has weird taste.” Jaehwan sits down on the floor ad pretends to glare at his puppy, which simply closes its eyes in response, snuggling closer against Taekwoon’s chest, eliciting an angry huff from actual-owner-Jaehwan.

“What?” Taekwoon hisses, can’t hide his offended feelings.

“Don’t take it the wrong way! I’m not trying to insult you or anything, your looks are actually way above average—no, I mean, why would he choose you over me? You’re…you look so cold all the time, like you don’t have actually have feelings – well now I see that you actually do have them, but me, I am simply adorable, so friendly, and lovely—“

“Stop,” Taekwoon presses a single finger to Jaehwan’s lips hurriedly, in a quick attempt to silence that never-stopping mouth of his– oh; Jaehwan’s lips were so unbelievable soft, like the fluffiest, softest, pillows one could ever find – in that split second, he could feel his own heart pulsing quicker than ever, could spot the slightest change in Jaehwan’s expression, the widening of his eyes, the tiniest little gasp escaping that mouth of his – Taekwoon pulls his finger away hurriedly, shocked that he actually did that.

“E-Enough, you were too…too noisy….” Taekwoon wants to facepalm so badly. His cheeks are really hot now and he’d really like to fan himself but – it’d be giving too much away.

“Ahh…okay” Jaehwan stutters, voice softer than usual, which isn’t really a bad thing. He looks down and scratches nervously behind his ear again, and maybe, maybe if Taekwoon’s eyes aren’t deceiving him, Jaehwan’s pale, puffy cheeks are stained with a slight (pretty) flush.

Jaehwan looks up and clears his throat, glancing awkwardly at Taekwoon, who avoids his glance, aware of their shared moment that happened just seconds ago, which might have affected them both more than it was supposed to.

“Anyway.” Jaehwan gets up. “It’s pretty late already, it’s rude to disturb you when you probably have important things to do. Come on, Chopper. Come on, let’s go back home.”

With the slightest reluctance, Taekwoon pets at Chopper’s head softly before gesturing it to follow after Jaehwan. Chopper whines and whimpers, and doesn’t budge, its paw hitting, nudging at Taekwoon’s thigh repeatedly.

“Oh god, Chopper, no! Be a good boy and listen to me, let’s go home, and I’ll give you as many treats as you want, okay?”

Chopper still doesn’t budge, obstinately sticking to a helpless Taekwoon.

“Okay, here’s this.” Jaehwan sighs in surrender. “I’ve translated his actions and right now he’s saying that…he isn’t going back unless…” Jaehwan coughs, “unless you’re coming with us too.”

“Oh?”

“Please just do this for me, just this once, he really needs to get back home. This may sound childish, but… despite how naughty he can get sometimes, I can’t fall asleep without being near Chopper.”

“Well…I don’t usually enter strangers’ houses just like that, but…okay…”

(It’s impossible to say no.)

“Strangers? That’s harsh, we’re close neighbours!”

“Technically we had our first conversation just minutes ago.” Taekwoon reasons out.

“I don’t consider you a stranger though,” Jaehwan pouts, “But fine, if you say so. Anyway, strangers are just family you’ve yet to come to know,” Jaehwan smiles. “Let’s go?”

Family, Taekwoon thinks, and blushes. Jaehwan surely didn’t mean in the literal sense but it brings a surge of strange feelings churning in Taekwoon’s stomach.

--

“Make yourself comfortable,” Jaehwan says as he closes the door behind him, “Anything you’d like to eat, or drink?”

“No, it’s fine…” Taekwoon cautiously sits down on the sofa, Chopper jumping up beside him. “I won’t be staying too long? I mean… I’ll leave when Chopper falls asleep, yeah?”

“I must warn you, though, he takes quite a while to settle down, especially on days like these,” Jaehwan rolls his eyes, shooting a faux glare at Chopper again. “Sure you don’t need anything? Coffee? Tea?”

Spending quite a bit of time here, in Jaehwan’s house. Just the two of them. Taekwoon feels weird tingles all over.

“Ahh… okay, I’ll just have coffee, then.”

Jaehwan arrives with a mug of hot coffee a few minutes later. Taekwoon accepts the mug with a soft “thank you,” smiling a little.

“What are you smiling at?”

“It’s nothing,” Taekwoon takes a sip of coffee, “Just… the mug.” He holds the mug up, coloured a soft yellow, the face of an adorable baby chick printed on the front. “It’s really…cute.”

“Oh? That’s why it caught my attention when I saw it at the store. Never thought you’d be one to like this kind of stuff.” Jaehwan smiles, “Tough on the outside but a total softie on the inside, that’s what you are,” Jaehwan chuckles at the now visible red flush staining Taekwoon’s entire face, the tips of his ears, “You should smile more, you look cute when you do,” Jaehwan adds, pokes at Taekwoon’s cheek.

“Shut it,” Taekwoon groans, giving Jaehwan a soft neck chop in warning.

There’s a short period of silence for a moment, and even though Taekwoon was never one to initiate conversations – with Jaehwan, there’s just a strange feeling in him not wanting their conversation to ever end, something in him fearing the ‘awkward silence’ situations, which he never used to worry about.

He clears his throat, suddenly remembering Chopper’s presence, its fur gently. “Uhm, so… are you working right now or?”

“Nah,” Jaehwan pouts, “Do I look that old?” He chuckles, “I’m still studying. Art, to be precise.”

“Cool,” Taekwoon smiles, “I used to fail every single one of my art classes”

“That sounds terrible,” Jaehwan shakes his head. “I could give you free art lessons, if you want”

(That actually sounds like a pretty good suggestion)

“Just kidding,” Jaehwan laughs, “I’m not capable of that.”

(Taekwoon looks slightly disappointed)

“But I could draw you, if you want!” Jaehwan adds. Before Taekwoon can even respond, Jaehwan runs off and arrives with a small drawing notebook and a little pencil.

“I’m not….sure about that,” Taekwoon mumbles. He’s always been on the introverted side – just thinking about having Jaehwan stare at his face and taking note of every single detail makes his cheeks flame, his heart jump slightly.

Jaehwan hmphs in anger (cute), “Are you doubting my skills as an A-Star art student right now?

“No, I’m just…I mean, go ahead.” 

“You still sound reluctant, whatever. By the end of tonight, you’ll be returning home with an amazing masterpiece and I’d request for you to frame it up in your house as a reminder of your wonderful neighbour’s amazing skills each day.”

Jaehwan starts by examining Taekwoon’s face, soft brown, doe eyes looking intently all over and it’s really driving Taekwoon crazy. God, he hopes the burn in his cheeks isn’t visible.

(It is, Jaehwan smiles when he catches the pink flush colouring Taekwoon’s cheeks)

Taekwoon doesn’t even realise he’s been holding his breath the entire time, releases a soft sigh when Jaehwan finally takes those (beautiful) eyes off his face and starts – quick, experienced of the pencil over his notebook.

“Now, about you,” Jaehwan starts, looks at Taekwoon briefly before looking down and sketching some more. “Are you working?”

“I’m actually…” It feels weird telling something so personal to someone he’d just started talking to a few moments ago, yet feels right, in some way. “I’ve loved music since I was a kid, studied it in school. Right now I’m actually working on becoming a composer.”

“That explains the constant piano playing I always hear coming from your place!” Jaehwan looks up excitedly, “Don’t get me wrong, I really appreciate the music,” he smiles. “Sometimes the tunes you play give me motivation to draw, to work on my pieces.”

“Why, t-thank you,” Taekwoon stutters, surprised at the sudden praise, “It really...You have no idea how much this means to me, actually.”

“Deserving praise for amazing talent,” Jaehwan says, looks up to catch that shy smile pulling at Taekwoon’s lips. “Since you’re a composer… you must sing too?”

Jaehwan suddenly looks more interested, stops his sketching for a moment, and looks up at Taekwoon.

“Um… yeah, I guess? I do like to sing, I’m not sure about my skills though,” Taekwoon mumbles, insecurities surfacing again.

“Great! Sing a song, please? I’m sure you have an amazing voice as well!” Jaehwan pleads, “Just one song?”

Taekwoon’s never sung in front of anyone before.

“Are you sure…” Taekwoon mumbles. “You really want to hear me sing?”

Jaehwan nods excitedly, putting his pencil down.

“O-Okay.”

Taekwoon starts nervously. He can literally hear it, the trembling and wavering in his soft voice. He shoots a nervous glance at Jaehwan, his expression is focused, one of excitement – encouraging Taekwoon to carry on, be more confident about your singing , it’s really good

As he approaches the chorus, Taekwoon can feel his feelings of anxiety slowly die away, he’s getting more confident, closing his eyes and allowing himself to fully immerse himself into the melody and feelings of the song.

The chorus starts. To his surprise, he can hear another voice singing along; a beautiful, rich tone, joining his, creating a perfect harmony, a pure symphony created with just two voices echoing in his head. He opens his eyes and it’s none other than Jaehwan. Doe eyes shining with unspoken joy as he stares at Taekwoon, head moving with the slow rhythm of the ballad. Singing perfectly.

They continue harmonising with each other, getting more comfortable with each passing line. Their voices are, admittedly, absolutely stunning when put together. It’s almost as if they themselves, are in awe at the wonderful music their own voices are capable of creating.

(Like there always used to be something amiss about their individual voices, and now – they’ve both found that rightful, missing element.)

It’s almost, surprisingly, regretful, when the song ends.

“Wow,” they exclaim simultaneously, gasping at the beautiful moment that they’d just shared.

“You sing really well. Can’t believe you weren’t confident about your singing at first”

Taekwoon shakes his head and laughs it off humbly, “You too. Didn’t even know you could sing, you didn’t tell me!” Taekwoon smiles and nudges at Jaehwan. “Your voice was absolutely amazing.”

“Singing has really just been a personal hobby,” Jaehwan looks really happy about that compliment. He looks down, and resumes sketching.

(That shy smile looks adorable, Taekwoon thinks.)

“Oh? Seems like Chopper’s asleep,” Jaehwan looks up. “You’re gonna be leaving soon?”

“Yeah, I guess.” Taekwoon pats Chopper’s head, at its soft ears.

(Regretful)

“Okay, then I’ll just finish up this drawing… done!” Jaehwan carefully tears a single page out of his notebook, and hands it to Taekwoon. Before Taekwoon can even receive it, he abruptly takes it back.

“Wait, I forgot the most important thing.” Jaehwan gasps. “I need to sign it first before you can frame it up,”

God, this kid is ridiculous, Taekwoon thinks.

(I like him)

Jaehwan finally hands the piece of paper over. “My skills are top notch, aren’t they?” Jaehwan smiles proudly.

Taekwoon really couldn’t agree more. As weird as Jaehwan seemed to be, it’s undeniable he possessed extreme talent, in both areas of art and music and probably a list of other hidden talents waiting for him to discover. It’s a cute, yet obviously skilful sketch, fully capturing Taekwoon’s admittedly stoic, cold expression. And right below was his ‘signature’. Looks something a young child would come up with – a “Ken”, complete with a cute emoticon(?) peeking out at the side.

“Ken?”

“Yep, that’s what I want to be known as when I become a world-renown artist in the future,” Jaehwan laughs.

(Cute)

“Wait, I need to add one more thing.” Jaehwan rushes off and returns with a pink coloured crayon.

“There, it’s perfect now”

Taekwoon takes it back to see that the final touch Jaehwan needed to add was… a pink blush on his cheeks. Taekwoon feels the heat rising again.

“You look cute when you blush.” Jaehwan grins, earning another neck chop.

--

“It’s pretty late now,” Jaehwan looks to the digital clock mounted on his wall. “You should really get going. Sorry for the inconvenience caused, hope I didn’t waste too much of your time!”

“No, no, not at all,” Taekwoon says, “More like the opposite.”

(Slip of the tongue)

“Huh?”

“N-Nothing, you heard nothing,” Taekwoon stammers, desperately trying to cover up, groans when he sees the cheeky, pleased look on Jaehwan’s face. “I...I should go now”

“Sure you don’t want to stay? You look like you want to” Jaehwan jokes, eliciting a groan from Taekwoon. “Just kidding, of course.” Jaehwan unlocks the door.

“Bye!” Jaehwan waves as Taekwoon steps out.

“Good night,” Taekwoon replies softly.

“We’re gonna be seeing each other around more often now, right?” Jaehwan adds, eyes shining with hope.

Taekwoon smiles, life would get significantly noisier from this day onward. Somehow, he didn’t mind.

“Sure.”

--

A/N: hope this was okay! it’s a little lengthier than the stuff i usually write, feedback is, as usual, greatly appreciated!

also, i apologise for incorrect portrayals if there were any, i know nothing about dogs, art, or music, i am just a poor struggling student drowning in her exams.