lvng

lvng

The most heartbreaking moments happen when you least expect them.  Perhaps it’s because of the element of surprise; the feeling of being blindsided, betrayed by the forces of the universe.  Nonetheless you must take it in.  Feel every bit of it flow into you, down to the last nerve.

“Health freak!”

“You love me either way.”

It seemed so simple then…

“Yuri, I’m leaving.”

“So they say.”  Yuri replied, her gaze not shifting from the teacup she’s holding.

 

One will know the degree of a situation and relationship when a homebody leaves her abode just to go to the aid of another person.  Taeyeon rushed to her car and even broke traffic rules so she could make it in less time.  Upon parking, she produced from her pocket a set of keys and felt for the one Yuri gave her.  Her sense of touch was very sensitive to be able to differentiate the keys for the different houses of her members.

Stumbling inside because of the absence of light, Taeyeon felt for the switch and flicked it open.  The image of what appeared to be a lifeless body lying on the living room floor welcomed her.  Sadness enveloped her, but it was not enough to dishearten her; in contrast, it burned her will up.  She grabbed the blanket in Yuri’s room and covered the zombie-like girl with it.  She then rested the younger girl’s head on her lap and caressed her hair.  The girl started to cry again by this time.  Taeyeon’s heart clenched and tears started to well in her eyes as well.  She had to force herself to keep those from falling.  And then she started to sing.

“Close your eyes.  Get some sleep.  It’s too late now to change anything, but it’s alright.  Get some sleep.  It’s so dark outside, so close your eyes and feel the world turn round.  If you’re not lost, I guess that makes you found.”

As Yuri started to give in to sleep, Taeyeon finished her lullaby.  By then, the others started had piling in the living room, shocked by the sight that and could only stare.  “You’re gonna have to live with it, Yuri-yah.  But don’t worry, I’ll be here… we’ll all be here.”

 

A few days have passed.  Jessica’s flight schedule was nearing.  She could have picked an earlier date and be out of there that time, but she had to do one thing properly.  She had to at least explain because that was the right thing to do.  Whatever may happen, whether Yuri agrees or not, she was going to her and they would talk… or at least she would.

Mustering all her courage, Jessica stepped in front of Yuri’s house and rang the doorbell.  Here goes everything.  Jessica prayed silently as she waited for the door to open.  She wasn’t sure if it would, and even if it did, she wasn’t sure if she was going to be let in.

Who knows?  Maybe I’ll be the one to cry after this…

 

“So, it’s really over, huh?”

“Yuri-”

“You know what’s really sad?”  Yuri asked bitterly, cutting Jessica off.  “What’s sad is that I can’t really blame you for leaving.  And it’s because I can’t blame you that I can’t stop you as well.”

For Jessica, it seemed as though looking down was the only action available.  She couldn’t bear to look at Yuri that moment.  All the courage that she mustered before going in to meet the girl vanished in a snap; like a magic trick where the performer is a thief, it stole everything.

Silence hung in the air as the two sat by the table face to face; Yuri seeming to Jessica’s courage by every passing second.  But that didn’t seem to affect her as her eyes remained dead as she stared waiting for Jessica to return her gaze.  Finally, the last molecule of courage that floated in the air found its way back into Jessica.

“I’m sorry… but I have to do this.”  And as Jessica opened up and explained, the lifeless eyes of Yuri began to perceive pain – but not her own, Jessica’s.

It was time.  Jessica felt as though she hadn’t explained well enough; that she needed more time to talk with Yuri.  But she knew better not to stay.  So just like Yuri, she forced herself to do what she felt must be done.

They walked silently side by side, careful not to brush against each other.  For two half-dead people, they looked livingly as they approached the front door.  Once there, Yuri took a step forward, opened the door and held it for Jessica.

"Bye"