1/2: DONGHAE'S POV

A Thirty-Degree Angle

What should I do in this lonely Friday night?

The thought of my friends getting wasted at the club, and probably getting lucky to have some too, makes me even lonelier. Well, I'm basically at fault for getting grounded for two weeks. I shouldn't have insisted on baking a cake for Fathers’ Day knowing that everything I touch burns. Yes, I managed to set our oven on fire. My mom is still hella pissed about it, and an oven isn't cheap in the first place, I would be pissed too if I was in her place. She loves baking and even has a pastry business and now I destroyed her baby in the worst way you can imagine. It's a pity I didn't have the same baking—or technically cooking—skills like her. I blame my dad’s genes for that.

Speaking of dad, he's about to be home now since it's already thirty minutes past four in the afternoon. I should probably—

Hold up.

“I'm home!” I hear that very familiar voice of dad greeting us and I greet him back too. His foot steps are coming near the dining room. I hear someone following him though.

Holy .

That guy behind dad looks so ing fine—you know what, I thank mom for grounding me.

He’s about my age and has mono lid eyes, a fair, flawless skin, pointed nose, and irresistible lips—, this better spare me my life. His eyes are darted downwards (must be feeling shy) and he just looks adorable! He's like the perfect model of innocence and there's this feeling in me of wanting to hold myself back so I wouldn't taint him with my...never mind. He's the cutest human being I've laid my eyes on, period.

This...this cute guy shifts his stare and it lands on me. I looked away immediately. Phew, he almost caught me checking him out! Well I blame him and his well-built body. He may look innocent, but his chest, oh damn his chest is so broad I wouldn't mind to settle my face there for my whole life! I'm sure he has that six pack underneath his fluffy sweater, and those goddamn huge arms too! I was deceived! He may not be as innocent as I thought he is.

“Oh,” My dad looks as if he just remembered something. “by the way, Donghae, this is Hyukjae, my friend’s son. I will tutor him every Fridays so I hope you two will get along.”

Oh we will. 

I secretly give him a look after I see from my peripheral vision that his stare is now back on the floor again. I walk towards him, saying, “Hello, I'm Donghae. It's a pleasure to meet you.”

He looks back at me and is that a blush staining his cheeks? “I-I'm Hyukjae. It's a pleasure to meet y-you too.” This guy shoots me his trap, that gummy smile I'm sure made everyone weak on their knees.

I take it back, he must be innocent after all.

 

 

It went on like that for about four weeks already. My punishment is over yet I never went to Friday-night-parties again, of course, you know why I'm being like this.

Hyukjae, oh my dear Hyukjae.

He's so well behaved, my parents definitely love him—and I do, too. Be quiet though.

He usually eats dinner with us before he goes home, talking animatedly about university life—like how his friend lost this bet with them and this friend got punched in the face by someone when he did the dare, I think—really, I couldn't care less about his stories, but he's just so lovely when he gets engrossed in his stories, he laughs and claps like a seal and he gets these wrinkles beside his eyes, which are really cute. Yes, I'm so screwed to the point that I find Hyukjae’s wrinkles cute.

He gets down though whenever we talk about...Math. He's good at everything, except Math. He thinks it’s a major turn off. I don't know why he's being too hard on himself though because dad said he’s improved a lot in those four weeks, and duh, everyone finds Math hard.

Except for my dad.

And me, as well.

Now, I thank my dad’s genes for that.

 

 

I immediately say goodbye to my friends, ignoring their calls for my name and questions such as why I'm never going with them on the club again. I sprint out of the university—I take Engineering by the way—too excited to go home and greet my family because I'm a loving son like that, and also because it's Friday! And Friday means Hyukjae!

I also don't know why I am not searching for Hyukjae in here because we're pretty much studying in the same university, just different courses—he's taking Journalism and doesn't understand why they still need Math.

Yeah, why am I making this so hard for myself?

I take a note to look for him next week, and maybe I can ask him on a date. Sounds like a good plan.

I take a turn to the right, staying on the side as much as possible because we wouldn't want myself knocked by a car before I date Hyukjae, right? I'm glad the university is just a fifteen-minute walk from our home. It wouldn't take much time to go home before Hyukjae comes because I'd like to make myself look a little haggard-less and much more presentable for him. Professor Heechul and his mood swings be damned. He made us clean our whole department's building and that is the reason why I look like a bird just pooped on me, also the reason why we were dismissed late.

I see Hyukjae coming from the side opposite to mine. It seems like he bought a smoothie on the café nearby to quench his thirst.

I sigh, what am I here for?

 In the end, Hyukjae and I enter the house together, exchanging shy ‘hi’s and sheepish smiles. I didn't even manage to do my look-presentable-for-Hyukjae-task and I'm, again, blaming professor Heechul for that.

 

 

 

I'm so bored.

I want to go upstairs to our little study room and see how Hyukjae is doing but dad doesn't allow me to, saying things like I’d be too noisy and his student will be distracted even though I promise him that I’m going to keep quiet. He didn't look convinced when I said that to him, neither am I.

I literally babble about everything when I’m not occupied with tasks, or if I don't do babble, I touch every single thing that my eyes land on and stare at if for a good minute before I shift my attention to another.

Like what I'm doing now to my mother’s new oven. It gives that short ‘ding’ before my mom comes running to the kitchen with a plate in hand, shoving me as she takes the cookies.

“I hope you have learned your lesson, Donghae.” She stares at me as if I've done something horrible. I only give her the ‘what’ expression though and then she asks me to bring the cookies upstairs so Hyukjae and my dad can have a break. They've been in there for a good two hours. They deserve it, besides, this is my chance to sneak inside!

I obediently nod to my mom and take the plate from her, carefully heading upstairs.

“Hey dad,” I knock on the door, although it's no use since I'm already entering inside anyway.

“Donghae, can you please go—“

“I've got you guys some cookies!” I exclaim, too enthusiastically you may say. Hyukjae looks in my direction and his eyes widens at the sight of cookies. Have I told you before that he has some kind of sweet tooth? I notice that he consumes more dessert than the actual food when he eats here for dinner. It's a wonder why he's still so skinny after all those sugar. Anyway, that makes him even cuter so I don't mind.

“Besides,” I shot dad a pleading look. “Hyukjae here seems to want cookies too, right Hyukjae?” I give him a wink.

“W-Well...” My cutie stutters.

“Okay, fine fine. You can spend some time with him, Hae. I'll be back though and we will resume studying.” Dad rises up from his chair and goes out. I hear him stepping downstairs. Finally.

“Hi there.” I sit on the place where dad is previously on. “I see you're having a hard time earlier. What topic are you learning now?”

“H-hello,” He gives me a tight-lipped smile. “Yeah, it's Calculus and it's exhausting my brain.” Sighing, he reaches for a cookie and takes a bite.

“Well, maybe I can teach you later? From a student's point of view? My old man probably can't explain it well, huh?” I move the chair closer to him to look at the book laid on the table in front of him, cheering inwardly when our shoulders touch.

I'm doing well so far, aren't I? I can probably do make a step further and take his number later.

“No! It's not like that. Your father's really good in teaching me Math. It's just...well, me.” He looks so sad and why is my heart squealing at the sight of him pouting instead of giving him my sympathy? You're impossible, Donghae.

“Aww, don't say that. We've got some weak points, of course. Let's say...you, you're good in English, but I'm not. You don't need to feel down about it.”

He smiles a bit wider than before, although still timid but I sense his gratefulness. “Thank you. At least, there's you and these precious cookies to cheer me up.”

I hear his graceful laugh and it's giving my heart flutters. I don't think I can stand an hour with him alone without getting a heart attack.

Calm yourself, Donghae.

“I can see that they're doing a good job in making you feel better.” I tell him when I see that there's only one cookie left and it's nestled between his fingers, about to get eaten by this sugar monster.

Hyukjae rapidly places the cookie back on the plate and wipes his hands on his shirt, trying to look as if he's innocent of any crime.

“Oh no,” I start. “what's with the sudden move?” Laughing, I grab his wrist as I turn to look at him. He looks up at me and his cheeks are sporting that mild hue of red. Is he naturally this pink or is he blushing?

“You're adorable.” I voice out my thoughts to test him. I got a positive response though as now he has his face buried in his book, probably attempting to understand each equations written in it.

I think this guy likes me back.

 

 

I spent the next two hours teaching Hyukjae how to derive and basically all the basics of Calculus—which took quite long since Hyukjae’s kind of slow at picking up points but he's not bad. I, also, managed to shoo my dad away when he went back in the room, telling him that I can, pretty much, handle tutoring this adorable guy beside me.

He's now packing his stuffs and my heart aches at the thought of waiting again before I see his perfect face.

Hyukjae interrupts my gloomy thoughts though when he asks me, “Are you free tomorrow?”

IS HE GOING TO ASK ME ON A DATE?!

I try to look composed on the outside even though all I want to do is melt in a puddle of goo! And perhaps break everything I set my hands on, which is probably not a good idea. “Uh, yeah, why?”

“You don't have tests to study for?” He questions and I remember that it's finals week starting on Monday. All subjects are pretty easy until my Wednesday schedule so I'm fine. Even if I have a difficult test on Monday, who am I to say no to this baby? I shake my head, answering him.

“Is it fine for you to teach me tomorrow? I have a final exam on Algebra this Monday and there are still some stuff I don’t get and I'm worried that your father’s probably budy and uh, I'll treat you...uhm...do you, perhaps, like tacos?”

Oh my god. Now I'm craving for Tacos, damn it. And some Hyukjae too, as well. Why can't it be tomorrow already?

“Yeah sure. So we'll meet on that Taco shop opposite the uni?”

He nods and takes his bag. I follow after him until we reach our gate. I insist on taking him home but he's more stubborn than me, my goodness, saying he doesn't to burden me even more and stuff. Guess I can't make any further move tonight.

“By the way,” He stops on walking and runs back to me.

I raise a brow at him, “What?”

He unlocks his phone, and I also see him shuffling through his contacts. “Here's my number.”

Oh my god. I did manage to get his number.

I almost forgot. Phew.

 

 

It's about ten in the evening. I'm dressed in my pajamas, laying down the bed as I fiddle eith my phone.

Hmmm, what should I say to him? I just really really really really want to talk to him.

I've already typed tons of messages but none of them satisfied me so I deleted them before he receives it.

Hey, are you a 30 degree angle? 'Cause you're acute-y. ;)

 No, it's too early for cheesy pick-up lines. I press the ‘x’ button on my keyboard a few times. Delete, delete.

I did end up sending him a message though before I sleep.

So...study date? Tomorrow?


 A/N: I'm sorry this isn't turning out as good as I imagined ;;;;;;A;;;;;; there'll be a second chapter and will be the final one too which is in Hyuk's pov. :) Thank you for reading! ♡