The butterflies

The butterflies

Kim Yerim was the daughter of a wealthy merchant. She possessed more clothes than most girls of her age, feasted on dishes brought from distant lands and played all day long with her friends. But she had one secret desire. 

And one day, "Father, I want to study. Send me to school", she pleaded her father.

"School", her father exclaimed," but only boys go to school, Yerim. No woman in our family has ever gone to school. People would laugh if I sent you to school",he added.

"Still I want to go to school, Father", she crossed her arms and remain adamant. 

Her father chuckled," You do, do you? Well then, let's see if you can get admission to a school. If any school is willing to accept you, I won't stand in your way",her father smirked.

He well knew that no school will admit a girl.But Yerim had a plan. She went to live with her aunt in Busan. There she disguised herself as a boy named Jeon Jungkook and secured admission in a school. Yerim proved to exceptionally good in her studies and the teachers favor her.

One day,"You shine in every subject, Jungkook! Will you help me in my maths?",her classmate, Kim Taehyung approached her.

"Why not , Taehyung? I'll help you", she gladly accepted to help him.

Yerim had noticed Taehyung on her very first day at school. She had wanted to talk to him but had never been able to muster enough courage to do so.  Now she was thrilled. She began to coach Taehyung for an hour everyday after school and their friendship grew by the day. They became inseparable companions. Four years passed in this fashion.

Then, "Tomorrow is the last day of school", Yerim sighed. Taehyung muttered a I know worriedly.

" I cannot bear the thought of parting from you, Taehyung", Yerim stated.

" Me neither, Jungkook, I have such strange feelings for you and sometimes I think I'm going mad", he confessed.

Yerim mentally gasped.

She  thought of what to say and suddenly, "I have an idea, listen!",she spoke up, "now that your studies are over you will look for a job, right?",she asked. Taehyung nodded.

"When you have found a good job come to my father's house and ask for my sister Yerim's  hand in marriage",she suggested.

"What!Marry your sister? B-But",he got lost in his words.

"Don't you see if you marry my sister i will become your brother in law! We would meet frequently and we would be together again",she remarked

"That's right! It's a wonderful idea, Jungkook. I'll do as you suggest", Taehyung beamed in joy.

At the last day of school," I'll find a good job and come to your house as quickly as possible. Jungkook", Taehyung assured Yerim.

"I'll be waiting for you ",she replied.

Yerim, now 18 years, went back to her father's house and resumed her life there. But she missed her friend terribly. Several months passed and it was already 2 years since she last saw her friend. She was turning 20 and her father was making preparations for her marriage and she was frantic. Everyday she thought of him and yearned for him. When visitors come to her house she would rushed out to see if it was Taehyung.

He has either forgotten me or hasn,t found a good job.she thought. But a part of her hoped that he will come. One day,while looking out of the balcony she saw a familiar figure approaching. "It's him ",she shouted, "he has come". She ran down the flight of stairs ignoring the maids and servants bowing and greeting at her. Her heart thudding with joy and excitement, Yerim ran towards the gate and onto the road and into the arms of her astonished friend.

"Taehyung, it's me Jungkook , I'm a girl. I'm Yerim", she cried out,

"Yerim-ah", Taehyung hugged her," In my heart I knew it had to be so".

The two friends Hugged and confessed their love for each other.

"There's no time left,Taehyung", Yerim spoke up ,"Father is arranging my marriage to his friend's son. You must meet him without delay",she stated panicking.

"I will, Yerim, I have a good jod now and I'll take good care of you", Taehyung replied and went to see her father. Yerim's father received Taehyung cordially and listened attentively to what Taehyung had to say.

When he had finished, "You are a fine young man and I'm honored that you seek my daughters hand in marriage. However my daughter has been brought up like a princess. She is used to comforts you would never be able to give her. Moreover she had been promised to another man and the marriage date has already been decided upon", Yerim's father remarked.

"But sir we cannot live without each other. Please reconsider", Taehyung tried his best to convinced Yerim's father.

But the merchant remained adamant,' Any more discussion is futile. Please leave and il you truly love my daughter like you say, never try to contact her again. Give her a chance to be happy with the husband I have chosen for her." Yerim's father decleared.

Taehyung's stumbled out of the house in a daze.They want to take Yerim away from me. She'll marry someone else. I never see her again.he sobbed.

Suddenly a viel of blackness descended in front of his eyes and there was a tightness in his chest; perhaps he has a weak heart for suddenly he fell down and lost conciousness.

 

"Mistress Yerim", a maid called out,"Your friend the one who came to meet your father is dead",the maid broke out the news. Hearing it Yerim fainted.

Yerim hovered between life and death for several weeks but finally recovered.

One day her father came in search of her," Yerim, I know you have suffered a great loss. I didn't know how much he meant to you",her father apologised,"but you can't go on brooding about it. Life has to go on. A handsome young man is waiting for you to get over your grief and begin a new life with him. Take the opportunity. Let us not postpone the marriage any further',her father said.

Yerim gave in, " All right father, set the date , but I have one condition. the marriage procession must pass by the graveyard where Taehyung is buried".

"As you wish. That would not be a problem",her father answered.

 

It was wet and windy that day. The noisy wedding procession winded through the countryside. Taking a circuitous route so as to pass by the cemetry.

Everyone was in a festive mood except the bride.

When her palanquin was abreast of the cemetry's gate," Stop! Put me down ",she yelled.

She ran towards the grave where Taehyung was buried.

"Yerim-ah, What are you doing?",her father shouted,"stop Yerim stop at once".

But Yerim ignored her father.

She laid down at Taehyung's gravestone, "Taehyung-ah, I have come. I'll never leave you, Taehyung",she sobbed,"I'll never marry anyone else, take me with you, Taehyung",she squeaked in between her tears.

Suddenly the became darker,the thunder louder and the lightning strike faster. Then to everyone surprise Taehyung's grave cracked open and Yerim went inside.

"No, Yerim-ah",her father shouted," Yerim, my daughter".

Everyone circled at the grave, shocked and surprised.

"She has disappeared", someone stated.

"And see, Taehyung"s coffin is empty", another remarked.

"But what's that whirl of colour?", a man shouted pointing at something.

"Butterflies!", Yerim's father exclaimed.

"They have turned into butterflies!",the villagers cried out.

"You have found happiness at last, my dearest Yerim, farewell",the father looked at his daughter for the last time before Yerim and Taehyung flew away.

 

 

A/N:How was it? It's my very first one-shot.

       Don't laugh at me if the ending .

       This story was told to me by my friend. I really enjoyed it.

        So I am hoping all you readers will love it.

        Thank you for taking your time to read this.

        Love you my readers.