If You Drug a Giant

Guaze

"Yeol, come on, it's not that bad-would you move?"

"They're gonna rip out my teeth, oh god, they're gonna violate my mouth, I'm not gonna have any teeth left, oh my god, I'll never be able to smile again-"

"Chanyeol, move, it's freezing-"

Oh my god, they'll take them all out! I know they will, that doctor looked shadey with his shadey eyes and his shadey glasses and his shadey....shadey....shadey shade, my poor teeth, he probably keeps teeth on a necklace around his neck like some demented tooth fairy-"

Baekhyun let out a frustrated huff, grabbing a new handful of his boyfriend's coat sleeve and tugged again, trying to haul the hyperventilating giant out of the front seat of their ancient tan beater. Chanyeol didn't even seem to notice the smaller boy's attempts, stubbornly holding on to the steering wheel with a white-knuckled grip. His breath came in fast silvery puffs that hung in front of his rambling mouth, seemingly oblivious to the fact that the mid-February air was bitterly cold and Baekhyun was getting frustrated.

"For God's sake, Chanyeol, he doesn't hoard teeth, he just takes them out-"

A whimper erupted from the taller male, and he slumped to thump his head against the steering wheel. Baekhyun watched with an arched, bemused eyebrow until the nut brown curls smacked against the horn, the resounding beep making a few heads turn towards them. Baek flushed, and resumed his desperate yanking on the coat shoulder and sleeve.

"Come on, you baby, I can't feel my fingers." He complained, teeth chattering. "Dr. Junmyeon is perfectly nice, there's nothing wrong with him."

Chanyeol slowly turned his head, almond eyes wide with fear. "He rips out people's teeth, Baek. Their teeth. That's like, like...taking out bones!" The last part was said in a horrified whisper, and Baekhyun snorted at the stricken look on the other's face.

"Nice try, Bill Nye, but most bones don't shove others out of the way and give you some pretty wicked headaches. Dr. Junmyeon said they'd only get worse the longer you let the teeth push around, remember? And with all the Tylenol you’ve taken, I wouldn’t be surprised if your liver shriveled up and died.”

"But it's my teeth!"

"It's four!! You can keep all your other ones!"

"Four is an important number!! This car has four wheels, where would it be without those four wheels?!" Chanyeol gestured rapidly around the car interior. "Nowhere! It wouldn't be working!"

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "Oh for heaven's sake-" He muttered, lifting one booted foot to brace against the back door as he yanked again, pushing all his strength into it. Chanyeol let out a yelp at the sudden tug, hands scrambling to grab back ahold of the steering wheel, fumbled and missed. The pair tumbled down into the slushy parking lot in a tangle of heavy coats and bruised limbs.

Silence fell for a second, broken only by a harsh gasp of air.

"It's a sign!!" Chanyeol shouted, his voice muffled from underneath Baek, who pushed himself to his feet, groaning and dripping wet.

"Oh, shut up." He grumbled, slamming the car door and pulling the reluctant, shivering giant up, before beginning the task of tugging him to the office door.

 

----

 

"Park Chanyeol for a 9:00 appointment with Dr. Kim Junmyeon."

The secretary raised her gaze from where she had been tapping away at the computer to stare at the small, soaked, shivering black haired boy with windburnt cheeks and a red nose. One thin, perfectly made eyebrow arched over the electric blue square glasses, before peering over the desk behind the boy where his tall brown haired partner sat slumped in a chair, a sullen expression on his face, huffing angrily as water dripped from his bangs.

She blinked. 

Blinked again.

Baekhyun flashed her a tight smile, and she silently leaned forward to tap at the keyboard, checking the name in.

"Dr. Kim will be with you shortly. Feel free to help yourself to some coffee while you wait."

--------------

Chanyeol stared moodily at the steaming Styrofoam cup cradled in Baekhyun's hands.

"Why don't I get a coffee?"

"Because you're getting your damn teeth pulled, and I had to do all the hard work of getting your in here." Baek replied pleasantly, obnoxiously taking a sip.

Chanyeol crinkled his nose up in a grimace, before turning and facing the other way.

"Traitor."

"Crybaby.”

“Tiny demon.”

“Giant baby.”

“Evil.”

“Giant crybaby.”

"Chanyeol?"

The pair instantly stopped their bickering and looked up at the name, spotting the man who called it. Kim Junmyeon was standing in the doorway that led out of the waiting room, dressed in a white lab coat and sky blue scrubs, a pair of white shoes on his feet. He had a comforting smile on his face, his hair neatly styled, and he carried a clipboard under one arm.

Baekhyun pinched Chanyeol's thigh, and the other shot to his feet.

"Y-yes?"

"We're all ready for you, if you could follow me. And you are….”Junmyeon flipped through the papers on the clipboard for a second. “.... Byun Baekhyun, yes?"

Baekhyun nodded and Dr. Kim's question, standing up as well. "Yes, I am."

The comforting smile came again. "If you'd like, you can come back as well."

 

"He's coming." Chanyeol interrupted, latching onto Baek's arm like a piranha, and Baekhyun inconspicuously tried to pull his arm out of the tight grip.

Dr. Kim nodded, and stepped back into the hall. "All right, you can follow me. It looks like you guys have chosen to do intravenous anesthesia. Has he had anything to eat or drink in the past 8 hours?" He asked, surveying the paperwork that Baekhyun had scribbled through during the previous visit.

Baekhyun eyed Chanyeol, an eyebrow raised, and the taller shook his head rapidly, curls flying. Baekhyun didn't think he had, but apparently Chanyeol's bigger body required a lot of food and the giant lived (literally lived) to fulfill that need, constantly snacking on something or other. He ate so much, it really was hard to monitor him. The smaller boy recalled waking up at three in the morning one time to crunching noises, and had the light to see Chanyeol hiding under the covers eating Pringles.

Giving Chanyeol a look that said he would regret it if he was lying, Baekhyun answered Junmyeon confidently.

"No, he hasn't."

Dr. Kim turned into an exam room where two nurses were already setting things up. "All right then, that’s good. Chanyeol, you can just lay on the chair right there, and we'll get everything started.”

If Baek had known Chanyeol wasn't seriously freaking out, he would've laughed at the look on his boyfriend's face as he silently swung his legs onto the chair, his foot catching the IV stand and nearly knocking it over.

The nurse dressed in purple scrubs quickly caught it, staring at Chanyeol with a mixture of pity and irritation.

“Sorry.” The jittery boy muttered under his breath, and she patted his shoulder comfortingly.

Baekhyun sat down in a chair in the corner, crossing a leg over the other as he surveyed the bustling of the room.

“Why can’t he eat 8 hours before?” He asked curiously, and a male nurse with blonde hair and green scrubs glanced up from where he was prepping the IV.

“The anesthesia could make him nauseous.” He explained quickly, and Baekhyun nodded his head slowly, glancing at Chanyeol who was staring at the needle, face going an unhealthy pale.

A few minutes passed, concluded with Junmyeon moving forward with a mask that had a tube attached to it, holding it towards Chanyeol, who jumped, moving as far away as he could.

The doctor sent a helpless glance over at Baekhyun.

“Could you come sit by him? He’s too tense to put the IV in, so we’re going to give him some Nitrous Oxide to calm him down a bit.

“Nitrous Oxide? What’s that?” Chanyeol asked, his normally deep voice several octaves higher as Baekhyun scooted his chair next to his boyfriend.

“It’s laughing gas. Make you feel lighter than a feather. Then it’ll just be a quick pinch and you’ll be out.” Junmyeon assured, and a confused Yeol allowed the mask to be slipped over his nose and mouth, his fingers searching out Baekhyun’s and squeezing tight.

A couple seconds later a faint hissing sounded, and Chanyeol jumped, eyes bulging.

“Breath, Chanyeol, you have to breath.” The doctor reminded, chuckling as the tall boy in a huge, audible breath, let it out, and in another. It only took about three or four before Baekhyun felt the iron grip on his fingers begin to loosen as Chanyeol relaxed, and he glanced up at Junmyeon who leaned over the boy to slip a heart monitor on his finger. The light beeping that filled the room was normal, relaxed, and the doctor smiled.

“All right, try it again.” He instructed the male nurse, who immediately bent over Chanyeol’s arm again, swabbing it with rubbing alcohol then iodine. He waited a few seconds before slipping the needle in easily this time. Baekhyun watched what he was doing like a hawk, though he didn’t really understand what he was doing, glancing down at Chanyeol to gauge his expression, but his boyfriend’s eyes didn’t even twitch as the needle went through the skin. Instead, the dopey eyes slowly moved to Baekhyun’s, and his lips twitched into an easy smile underneath the mask, clumsily moving his hand into a thumb’s up. Baek smiled back reassuringly, though already felt worry gnawing at him.

Suddenly, Chanyeol’s eyebrows furrowed, and he gave a groan, weakly twisting his torso away from the IV, though his arm remained stationary.

“’S cold…” He muttered, face pinched uncomfortably, and Baekhyun lifted his eyes to where the male nurse was now injecting a syringe filled with clear liquid into Chanyeol’s IV line.

“What’s that?” He demanded, and the man blinked over at him, still pressing the plunger down.

“Just the anesthesia. He might get cold due to the blood vessels constricting. Don’t worry, it’s normal.” The nurse assured, taking the needle out of the IV and stepping back to let the female nurse bend over Chanyeol, who still looked uncomfortable.

“It’s…not…work…Nitrous…” murmured incoherently, staring up at her with foggy eyes, and she glanced into them, before giving a small chuckle, patting his arm.

“Oh honey, it’s working.”

Chanyeol frowned again, before his hold on Baekhyun’s hand suddenly went loose and he passed out.

She glanced over to Baek.

“His pupils were so dilated I could’ve done my makeup in the reflection.” She explained cheerfully, slipping the mask off his face and turning off the tank.

Junmyeon handed Baekhyun a mask with gloved hands, before slipping one over his own face along with a pair of black glasses that seemed to have dozens of added lenses.

“We’re going to get started here Baekhyun, would you mind going back to the chairs over there? It’ll be over in no time.” He assured, before bending over Chanyeol, both nurses standing by.

---------

“…..waking up yet?”

“Give….minute, Baek…he…starting…”

Chanyeol felt his consciousness slowly rise up to meet his body, snatches of conversation starting to enter his mind. Little slivers of light cracked through his brain, and he realized he was slowly blinking open his eyes.

Bright, bright white, and blurry, fuzzy dark columns floating over him. He couldn’t seem to get his mind to register what the fuzzy columns were, though they were speaking, and what the hell, why were columns speaking-

“Chan…wake…wake up…yeol, time…wake up.”

Darkness folded over, before slowly turned back to light as Chanyeol blinked, and the columns weren’t columns, that column had hair and eyes, wait-

“Chan…yeol. Chan..yeol. Chanyeol. Come on, there we are. Time to wake up.” The boy slowly registered a smile and kind eyes, before shifting his gaze to the person next to him, and-holy .

The boy was beautiful, with really clear skin and furrowed, worried brown eyes, chewing on his lips nervously.

Chanyeol gave a slow awkward smile (at least he hoped was a smile, the lower half of his face felt deliciously numb) up at the boy.

“Eeeckhannn…” He murmured, but then frowned. That didn’t sound right.

Baekhyun stared down at Chanyeol and chuckled, shaking his head, feeling an overwhelming fondness sweep through him.

“Hey, Yeol. Look at you, you did it.” He grinned, and smiled wider at the smile/grimace he received in returned from the heavily drugged boy. The doctor sat the chair up and helped Chanyeol to his feet, Baekhyun instantly grabbing onto the giant when he swayed dangerously.

“You got him?” Junmyeon asked, and Baek nodded, nudging gently at Chanyeol’s side.

“Yep, we’re good. Come on Yeol, you can do it, yeah, just like that. There you go, you’ve got it.” He encouraged, half supporting, half dragging the taller boy down the hall behind the doctor, until they made it into the waiting room. By then, Chanyeol seemed to have gained some basic motor functions back, and he proved it by standing unsteadily by the counter, swaying slightly while Baekhyun filled out some paperwork and got the instructions for the pharmacy.

“I iiike uurr kasshhes!” He said brightly to the receptionist, who gave him a bright smile and wave while Baekhyun tugged on Chanyeol’s coat.

“Yes, they are nice, aren’t they?” the smaller boy patted Chanyeol’s shoulder as he zipped up the coat to his chin, taking the bigger hand and slowly guiding the stumbling boy to the door, his own coat on as well. “Come on, Yeollie, we gotta go get your medicine, okay?”

“Hooogayy.”

-----------------

Navigating a drugged giant across a slushy parking lot in the snow proved to be even more taxing than pulling said giant completely sober across it.  

“Yeol, no, step here, wait! Wait! You have to wait, there’s a car coming-“

Chanyeol turned sluggishly to look at the growling, blurry, red monster that was crawling towards them, bright yellow eyes staring him down, and he let out a scream, grabbing onto Baekhyun clumsily. His feet stumbled back and he swayed dangerously, squeezing the smaller boy.

“’oshter!!! ‘OSHTER!!!” He screamed as the car sped past, swaying more as Baekhyun fought to pull away from his hold, gasping for air.

“What? Chanyeol, it’s a car, it’s just a car, it’s not going to hurt you!” He cried, staring up at the boy, who immediately calmed down and looked down at the smaller boy.

Reaching out with a big hand, Chanyeol clumsily felt around in the air until his palm gently landed on Baek’s cheek, and he patted it, face fixed with an absurd amount of concentration.

“’Appy ‘itty.” He declared through the gauze stuffed in his cheeks, then turned and walked towards the parking lot, arms held out as he waddled through the slush with his boots.

Baekhyun shook his head and hurried to catch up, making sure he kept a tight hold on Chanyeol’s hand after the taller tried to follow a squirrel that ran up a tree.

-----------

“Okay, Yeol, here, I’ve got your medications, do you want to stop by a drive through on the way home?”

Chanyeol sleepily turned from where he had been poking at the window and cooing incoherently at snowflakes that fell past it, staring blankly at Baekhyun.

Baekhyun had run into the pharmacy to grab the medicine, leaving the car running with the parking break on for Chanyeol, and his cheeks were red and snow dusted his mussed hair.

The taller boy slowly reached out and carefully ran his hand through the black hair before retracting his arm, staring intently at his fingers. Miniscule spots of water dotted his hands from the fast melting snowflakes, and Chanyeol poked at them, muttering around the gauze.

A line of saliva fell from his mouth and landed on his hand, standing out red against his palms, and Chanyeol stared at it in confusion for a minute, before he suddenly began sniffing, tears starting to build.

He lifted his hand and turned to Baekhyun, holding out his hand for the smaller boy to see.

“Ai killeth ‘em…” He cried, pushing his hand closer to Baek, who grimaced and fished out a tissue from his pocket, wiping up the palm and then gently Chanyeol’s mouth.

“No, you didn’t Yeol, they just escaped. See, they’re back outside now, see?” he said, pointing out Yeol’s window, and the taller boy whipped his head around to see, his eyes widening at the snow. He resumed poking at the window and cooing.

-------

The drive through had been a bad idea, but with Baekhyun sitting on the couch cradling a peppermint latte and Chanyeol next to him distracted in trying to feed himself a chocolate shake with a spoon, he told himself that despite Chanyeol screaming at the cars and calling them monsters (‘oshters), then again screaming at the person through the order machine, it had been worth it. Even the process of taking the gauze out of Chanyeol’s mouth so he could eat the shake seemed worth it, despite the taller boy screaming in terror once he saw the bloody fabric, his cheeks swollen as he tried to reach into his mouth to make sure that Baekhyun hadn’t taken his tongue.

Baekhyun sighed, setting the latte down on the coffee table as he saw Chanyeol already drifting off, and he took the shake away before it spilled all over the floor.

“Come on, Yeol, let’s get you around for bed, okay?” He declared, glancing at the clock. It was only 6:00pm, but it was dark out, the house was warm, and the thought of having to wake up in a few hours to change Chanyeol’s gauze and give him his first round of pain pills and antibacterial pills was enough for Baek to feel exhausted.

The pair stumbled into the bathroom where Baekhyun gently rinsed out his boyfriend’s mouth and stitches with lukewarm water, packed more gauze into the cheeks, and gingerly patted soap and water over the swollen checks. They moved to the bedroom where Baek helped Chanyeol change into sweatpants and a t shirt, then lay him into the king sized bed. The smaller boy quickly hurried to the bathroom to brush his own teeth and wash his face, then to the kitchen to grab two of the many icepacks he had prepared, wrapping them into towels as he headed back to the bathroom.

Making sure that the were situated against both cheeks, Baek changed into his pajama shorts and one of Chanyeol’s gigantic hoodies, before setting his alarm for a few hours later and flipping off the light, crawling in next to the taller boy, snuggling next to him carefully.

“’Aek…” Chanyeol muttered, and Baekhyun raised himself on an elbow, reaching over to check that the icepacks were still in place.

“Hmm?” he replied, and Chanyeol turned to look at him, eyes glittering in the dim light from the hall nightlight Baekhyun had installed so Chanyeol wouldn’t fall in the middle of the night. A smile touched his lips despite the swollen face as he looked at the smaller boy.

“I ‘ove ur ‘um. ‘ums? ‘Ey’re shho ‘erfect.”

“Go to sleep, Chanyeol.”

“’M sheerioush. ‘Ey’re duh ‘ight….’ights? ‘Ights of ma iiife. ‘id ai ‘otice ‘em ‘eeffore? Ai ‘ean, uur duh ‘ight of ma iife, of courshe, ‘but ‘ur ‘bum….shham.”

Baekhyun’s lips twitched. “Chanyeol, go to sleep.”

“Ai ‘ove oo, ‘Aekhun.”

“I love you too, Chanyeol, now go to sleep.”

“Ai ‘ove ur ‘ums, choo.”

“Park Chanyeol, go to sleep.”

“’M ayy.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Howdy, Chan'Yall. (Oh god, kill me) 

First off, I'm so sorry I've been gone for so long, I did just get back from Korea about a week ago, and I had trouble connecting to the sight!! Totally missed so much! 

High school is finally done, so I thought I would get a little bit of a time to relax and update everything, but COLLEGE is right around the corner, and I've been working a lot. TT.TT I'll be so far in debt, I could start my own government and have free tuition. 

Hoped you guys liked to the story, I don't know if any of you all has ever had your wisdom teeth pulled, but if you haven't, let me tell you that screaming at cars and people and blood everywhere is a thing, It's a literal thing. 

Love you all! 

Juli~ <3