Chapter 2: Park Jimin

A Penny For Your Thoughts

With backpack slung over the shoulder and a heavy heart, it was just another day at school for Yoongi. Yet another lonely day in his lonely life. He was aware of the fact that he should appreciate what he has and not think such depressing thoughts, but he could barely hear himself think, due to the fact that he could hear everybody else think instead. Walking down the school corridors because amongst all the noise, Yoongi could hear his name in the midst of it. 

“Is that Min Yoongi? He’s pretty weird, huh?” and he couldn’t tell whether it was thoughts or things that people were actually discussing with their friends. Either way, he didn’t care. Not anymore. Yoongi had learnt how to just walk forward, eyes on his destination. He couldn’t erase the thoughts he could hear but he had definitely learnt how block them out to a certain extent. 

A loud crash pulled Yoongi out of his reverie as he looked around for its source. Towards the right hand side of the lockers a little further down the corridors were 5 boys crowding a kid whom they’d obviously just pushed into the lockers. 

Yoongi was never the type to stick up for bullying, as much as he wanted to. He wasn’t heartless, on the contrary, he was very concerned about the victims of bullying in his school, especially with being one himself; but when it came to standing up to it- he cowered. He wished so much that he was one of those anti-bullying activists that you find in all schools, but he wasn’t. However, seeing a kid being physically abused crossed the line for him. 

“Hey!” he called, making his way over to the crowd of boys and peering in between them to see who it was they’d just pushed. Park Jimin. The quietest kid in the school. One thing he definitely didn’t understand was kids that were bullied for being quiet. Although he never wished bullying on anyone, some of those mouthy kids that got it really did add fuel to the fire. Quiet kids though? They didn’t deserve it at all. Yoongi didn’t deserve it, Park Jimin didn’t deserve it. What wrong were they doing in the world? 

“Just- just go to class,” Yoongi said shyly, not at all matching the scenario he had in his head. 

“What’s this brat’s problem?” one of the boys said aloud, scoffing at Yoongi’s attempt to defend the poor kid. Yoongi ignored the thoughts that he was hearing and focused on these idiots he was standing in front of. 

“This isn’t fair, what did this kid ever do to you? He barely even talks, just go,” he snarled, more confident this time around. The 5 boys just laughed and turned around to leave, which was a much easier accomplishment than Yoongi had predicted it to be. Among the various thoughts floating in the air, Yoongi was caught off guard by one from Park Jimin. 

“Someone’s helping me?” 

And at that, Yoongi suddenly felt terrible about all the times he’d sat and watched verbal abuse being thrown at this poor, defenceless kid. 

“Are you okay?” Yoongi asked, offering his hand out to Jimin who was sat awkwardly on the floor, propped up against the lower lockers. 

“Yeah…” Jimin muttered, taking Yoongi’s hand gingerly and letting himself be pulled into a standing position. Jimin dusted himself off briefly before mumbling a small ‘thank you’, bowing, and walking in the other direction. 

“Hey wait!” Yoongi called, Jimin turning around slightly at his name and peering over his shoulder. Yoongi opened his mouth to speak before closing it and opening it again a few times. 

“Park Jimin, right?” he managed to splutter out. Jimin simply nodded in response, with a small smile forming on his lips. 

“I’m Min Yoongi!” 

“I know,” Jimin spoke quietly before continuing to walk off to class. Yoongi debated running after him. He wanted to get to know this kid. The only kid in the school quieter than him. Possibly someone who would be…a friend? 

“Jimin!” Yoongi called, half jogging to catch up. Jimin just continued walking without slowing his pace or looking at Yoongi. 

“I think we’re both in the same maths class now,” Yoongi pointed out, not quite sure why he said ‘think’. He didn’t think that they were in the same class, he knew for a fact he was in Park Jimin’s maths class, he had been the whole year. 

“Mmm,” Jimin agreed, letting Yoongi walk with him to class but not actively trying to start a conversation. 

“Have you done the homework?” Yoongi asked, again, not sure why he was asking. Jimin was a great kid, of course he’d done the homework. 

“Mmm,” Jimin hummed in response. 

“Ah, same,” Yoongi responded awkwardly. Did Jimin want his company or was he just being polite? What if Jimin wanted him to leave him alone? Was it okay to sit next to him in class? Perhaps he could listen to his thoughts and find out, albeit not something he tried to do too often. A part of him felt like he was intruding if he tried to listen to thoughts. However, it was too noisy. If it was just the two of them he could probably do it but not like this in a crowded corridor. 

Yoongi did sit next to Jimin, and Jimin didn’t seem to mind, which again could be politeness seeing as Jimin wasn’t exactly the type to push someone away rudely. The class went faster than usual for Yoongi, maybe because he had someone to sit with. They didn’t talk, of course, they were either listening to the teacher or working, but it was nice to just have someone…there. 

Yoongi followed Jimin out of class once the lesson finished, kind of starting to feel like a puppy desperate for its owners attention. 

“Yoongi?” Jimin asked, clearly about to ask a question, or tell him to go away. 

“Am I annoying you?” Yoongi quickly responded, paranoia getting the best of him and he stared into Jimin’s eyes looking for an answer. 

“I was just going to ask if you want to walk home together…” 

Wait, really? Yoongi spluttered out some incoherently syllables before finally spitting out;

“I-I’d love to.”