light

clair et foncé

The sun is setting and you're right here by my side
And the movie is playing, but we won't be watching tonight


 

"What are you doing here?"
 
A pair of doe eyes stares questioningly at an abrupt appearance of a male in front of their doorstep. Her stare comes out sleepy, yet piercing—more daring, rather, as if they held a threatening caution not bound to tear itself from a long, silent gaze.

It's obvious how his presence is not wanted anywhere with her around, as he could tell with how the lass' tone dripped of exasperation. Though he's quite sure how the other only decided to tone it down with the obvious tiredness emanating from her mood. He notices the dark circles underneath her eyes, tracing evident exhaustion albeit the known, youthful features possessed by the female. Junhong is not dense to distinguish the same expression he sees regularly from the five guys that accompany him all throughout the years.

Funny, how he finds it awfully similar from what a mirror shows.

Clearing his throat quietly, it takes him a few moments before he speaks up, careful not to further add up to the other’s temper.

"Uh—I was wondering, you know, if she’s—"

"You know you're not supposed to be here", she snaps.

"I know, but I—"

 


'Cause I never knew, I never knew
You could have moonlight in your hands
'Til the night I held you


 

"Junhong?"

His words are soon cut by a familiar soothing voice that emerged from behind the petite girl glaring by the front door. He somehow tears his gaze from the latter, his eyes eventually fixating on the former as she effortlessly towers behind the elder lass that still continue burning holes deep through his soul. The male, once shifting uncomfortably within the piercing stare of the shorter female, then finds himself slightly relieved at the sudden exposure of the other—and he couldn't stop the nerve to let a small smile conquer his lips after finally seeing that one person whom he came to see.

"Sooyoung."

His heart skips a beat at the mention of her name.

 

She then reciprocates his gesture with yet another stunning smile of her own, then turns towards the other female as if sending a silent message with her current, pleading eyes. The petite woman sighs, eventually nodding shortly at her quiet request—though she still hadn't forgotten to eye him a beat warning once more, before resorting to the confines of their dormitory, and leaving only the both of them outside.

For a couple of seconds, they were nothing but lone shadows embraced in silence.

"I’m sorry—about that." She breaks the wall of silence between them, her fingers instinctively curling upon the edges of her oversized t-shirt. "Joohyun unnie was just being, cautious." Her voice faltered into a soft murmur, lowering her gaze from him. "You know how it’s not supposed to be… like this."

He only manages to nod, situating his eyes elsewhere but her own.

Her words linger him, like always. And honestly, she’s right. In fact, her statement serves as a clear reminder of how wrong things are at the moment—him, perfectly exposed, standing awkwardly, in front of her doorstep. To think that barely an hour had passed since dawn. And that people might just come in and witness an unlikely pair of known personalities in such an abrupt situation.

Yes, Junhong is fully aware of it. But he chooses to be blind.

 

He only musters a soft chuckle as his eyes then shifts from the tiled grounds towards her face partially covered by the short, loose strands of her hair. Everything appears quite vague in the dark, for it is only the faint light reflecting through the dim bulbs along the hallway that allows him to study her features once again. Junhong leisurely takes a few steps forward, mentally following the urge to take a closer view of the girl before her and shrug off all the unwanted, negative thoughts.

His eyes roam at the now shorter, tousled waves slightly hiding her features. They’re not flowing raven waterfalls no more, not as lengthy as his hands would like to gently play around with.

She did cut her hair when he was gone.

The male wastes not a second tolerating such clouded sight and lets his fingers brush her soft locks away from her pale cheeks. He tucks a few strands behind her ear until he finds himself playfully twisting his long, slender digits in between the curled edges. "Beautiful." He murmurs his words with full, vulnerable emotions, and unconsciously, he shyly reaches out for dainty little fingers until they’re all enclosed in his.

A faint blush creeps into her cheeks. He smiles.

"I’m back." he whispers, and a hum of contentment seeped through her now curled up lips.

She is then pulled into an embrace, lean arms enclosing her frame with gentle protectiveness. And she closes her eyes, and gingerly rests her head on his firm, broad shoulders; unknowingly, leaning to his touch and lets it trigger the rapid beating of her heart.

They stay like this for a long moment, acknowledging nothing but the warmth of the other.

Junhong tenderly kisses the top of her head, and Sooyoung exhales a breathless laugh.

And he is finally back home.

 


He knows just what it does
When he's holding me tight
And he calls me
Moonlight, too.