Chapter Three

Chasing Time

The morning is cold and crisp, I probably shouldn't have left my window cracked last night. Thankfully I live pretty high up, so it would be vitrually impossible for anyone to climb in through it. 

After receiving that text message, I'm starting to feel that I really should be careful with what I stick my nose in. Ms. Choi did warn me about things like this and so did Jin. I know I need to be careful.

I pick up my phone once again to see if the message was real, and there is is. Glaring at me from my luminescent screen, a simple text, implying so much. I feel the chills start to run down my back again as I read the sentence over and over. He, or she, is implying that I'll be hurt if I continue to prod at this problem. 

I'm pretty sure it's that twisted kid from earlier, for some reason, I'm sure he won't pull a stunt like that again. He knows that I have the power to report him at any moment, that I can be his downfall. He won't do any of this in public at least. 

That means, all I need to do is stay at Jungkook's side. I need to make sure there isn't a moment he's left alone for too long. It's convenient that we're going to be working together, I'll be with him for most of the day. 

I'm not entirely sure why I worry about Jungkook so much. He may be someone I knew in the past, but that doesn't mean anything now. He was my best friend; but, he left me at the wrong time, without a goodbye. 

I sit up in bed and rub the sleep from my eyes, maybe even trying to rub the thoughts from my head. That kid is nothing but trouble, he always has been, but in a different way. I remember the day someone smashed his porcelain flute that I got him for Christmas; he was a mess. He collected all of the pieces and placed them in his bag, cutting his little fingers in the process. The flute was pretty cool too: it was attached to a string so that he could wear it around his neck. 

I comforted him and bandaged every slice on each finger. I remember calling him an idiot for picking up the pieces, mad that he didn't just throw them away. I was too young to realize the importance of my gift to him; after all, I must have ben only eleven years old. 

That wasn't the only time that the kids messed with him; he was bullied a lot. I was always there to wipe the tears away, and possibly stick worms in the backpacks of the culprits. Back then, I was as I am now, simple. I was never in the group of kids that had a lot of friends, I only had little Junggie. I was feared by a lot of the girls because I liked sports and videogames, but I never fit in with the boys either because I had a love for music. 

So, it was just Jungkook and I. 

I blink a few times and realize that I slept with my contacts in, my eyes itch and feel extremely dry. I get up and grab a simple change of clothes, a towel, and my bathroom caddy. I walk across the hall to the bathroom; it's shared by two other rooms on each side of my room. I close the door behind me and rub my eyes once more. It's hard to see with my eyes this dry, but I notice a figure walking towards me. 

Now, I don't have the worst vision, but it certainly isn't perfect. Especially when they're itchy and beginning to water. I blink a few times and realize that it's one of the people I share the bathroom with. 

"Morning, Alex." She says, kind of sluggish, "You doing alright?" Amber asks, looking into my eyes. 

"Yeah, just slept with my contacts in last night. No big deal." I say, blinking a few more times "Does it look really bad?" 

"Uh, they look pretty red. I have some eye drops, want me to get them?" She asks, taking a step back from me, bumping into something in the process. A scoff of disapproval erupts from the body behind her. It's the other girl who lives on the other side of her dorm, Krystal.

"Ugh, why are you losers lingering in front of the bathroom? Are you going to go inside? I can't believe I have to share the restroom with you two." She starts, shoving past us to go inside. I glare at her and feel the urge to turn on my mental time switch, wanting to sabotage her somehow. 

I resist however, because I already have enough of a head ache, and I can't even see a few feet ahead of me. I'm not much of a morning person, and seeing Krystal always turns my mood into a sour one. She's one of the girls that bore their eyes into my back, with the rest of her catty crew. She's probably a member of the Staccato club now that I think about it. 

Amber rests a hand on my shoulder, "She's not worth the time, honestly. Don't let her attitude make your day ty. I'll go get some eye drops, meet me in the bathroom." She says, turning back to go into her room. I blindly try to make my way to the bathroom, find the knob and clumsily stumble in. I lean over the sink and try to swipe out my contacts. 

Once I get them out, I look through my bag for the case. I start to get nervous, but I'm sure it's here, I always leave the case here. I try to hold the contacts in one hand while I dig through my bag with the other. The shower curtain opens and Krystal comes out with a towel wrapped around her torso. She walks by me and bumps into me, causing me to lose my contacts down the sink and my bag to spill all over the ground. 

"Gosh, Alex. I knew you were blind, but I didn't know you couldn't learn to move when you're in the way." She says, going up to another sink and looking at her face in the mirror. "I mean seriously, what does Jungkook even see in you anyway? Your vocals are mediocre at best and your appeal--" She looks me up and down, "Well let's just say you're missing that component completely."

I back away from the sink and bend down, quickly picking up my stuff and shoving it into my bag. Let's hope my glasses haven't disappeared as well. Everything seems too well planned, and Krystal is the perfect candidate for something this sour. I look her up and down before going to take a shower. She really does have a nice body, she makes me feel like a preteen, as if I'm not quite fully developed yet. I mean, I'm no where near her level anyway.

I turn the water on and step into it after stripping away my night clothes. The door opens again and I hear another person walk in to use the shower next to mine. 

"If you still need the eye drops, I'll give you some when we get out." Amber says, turning the water on her shower. She is really a nice girl, I can tell we both get along because we're different. Amber has her own unique sound when it comes to music, nothing technical like the Staccato club's sound. 

I wonder why Krystal is so jealous of me; is Jungkook really that popular a guy? He obviously isn't into me in a romantic way; if anything, he would be into Krystal. He only sees me as a friend to use for musical needs. He would never want to go out with me, let alone even talk to me when others are around.

Besides, why would I go for someone like him? After all, to me, he's still that snotty little crybaby from middle school.

 

I blink a few times after Amber applies the last drop.

"There you go." She says, screwing the cap back on and storing it in her small makeup bag.

We're in my room now; I needed her help finding my glasses. She slides them onto my face and grins at me, "Those actually suit you." She says, backing up and tucking her hands in her sweatpants pockets. "You look cute." 

I stand up and walk over to my full-length mirror. These bring back memories; I remember when these weren't in style and everyone thought I looked nerdy. 

"They've got kind of a hipster vibe, huh?" I say, swiping my side bangs from my eyes. I guess these will work for now, seeing as I'll need them until I can get a new set of contacts. 

"Alright, well I'll see you in class today then." Amber says, collecting her stuff from my couch. 

"Hey, thanks, Amber. I really appreciate it. One day, we'll drop an album that will make Krystal cry." I say, giving her a thumbs up. 

She opens the door and looks back at me, "That won't be too long, seeing as how you have the prodigy producer at our school on a leash." She winks at me and walks out. 

Jin? On a leash? What is she talking about? 

I look over at my clock and start to feel nervous; I'm going to be late for breakfast with Jungkook! I grab my watch and try to put it on as quickly as possible, before grabbing my bag and running out. 

 

The cafe is crowded as I search the tables for a tuft of jet black hair. I pull back the sleeve of my cardigan to check the time, I'm only a little late... but what if he already left? 

Wait...  idiot. You can reverse the time, you just have to rewind a few minutes back. I concentrate on my watch and see the hands begin to slowly move in reverse. I go back five minutes and stop to see Jungkook begin to stand from a table at the end of the cafe.

I quickly walk over to him and catch his wrist on his way out, "Sorry I'm late. I had some problems with my contacts this morning." I say, a little out of breath from being nervous and from walking too fast. 

He furrows his brow and swipes his wrist away from mine, "I can't stay any longer, I only wanted to make one thing clear. You and I don't know each other unless we're alone okay?" 

"Wait... What?" I ask, a little thrown off by his reaction. 

"Oh," he says while beginning to walk out, "And I didn't choose you as my partner, you asked me and I, being the nice guy I am, said yes." 

He swings open the cafe door and walks out, not even sparing a last glace or a wave goodbye. What the hell?! I knew it was too good to be true, his social status is what matters to him most now. 

How could I have been so dumb to think he was anything like the kid I knew four years ago? I take a seat at the table and set my head down onto it. What a jerk. 

I keep my head glued to the table, how could I face him in class like this? A few minutes pass by before I hear the chair across from me pull out. 

A familiar voice speaks, "You're going to get a red mark on your head if you keep it down like that." Jin says, chuckling a bit. 

I look up and he sets a cup in front of me, "Here, it's a vanilla latte. Long night?" I reach for the cup and sip it slowly, its warm and sweet, just like Jin when he isn't teaching.

I sigh and shake my head, "Don't worry about it, just stupid people in my life." I say, taking another sip. He leans back in his chair and nods, "Jungkook." 

I blink and tilt my head to the side, "How did you..." 

He chuckles a bit and laces his hands together, setting them in his lap. "I saw your little exchange earlier when I walked in. He's really one of a kind, isn't he?" 

"That's putting it nicely, he's such a conceded bastard." I mumble, resting my chin on the table. Jin's warm palm ruffles my hair softly before he stands up and slings his bag over his shoulder. 

"I should be going, you're stopping by later tonight, right?" He asks, straightening out his sweater. Why would I stop by later tonight? We don't have a recording session I forgot about, do we? 

He grins at me and shrugs, "Taehyung is going to his mom's tonight; he's got some family trouble. I already bought all the ingredients for something I'm cooking for dinner tonight. Would you like to keep me company?" 

I'm supposed to be working with Jungkook tonight, but since he blew me off for breakfast, I'll blow him off for dinner. What could it hurt? He's a jerk anyway. 

I smile back and nod, "Sounds good. Text me when you're ready for me to head over." 

"Gotcha," He nods and starts to walk out, "Oh, and Alex?" He smiles back at me, "Those glasses suit you, you look cute." 

Something in my stomach flutters, I stay silent and watch him as he walks out. 

Was I just asked out? 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry there isn't much development in this one guys, but I promise it wont take long to write the next one. 

Thank you to all of my wonderful supporters :D 

As always, comments are much appreciated, as are upvotes and subscribers. 

Thanks again!