Up-

Fly with Me


 

“We would now like to invite passengers seated on rows 25 onwards to begin boarding.”

 

Jungkook frowned, getting up reluctantly to head towards the boarding gate. He really hated flying, and not just the ty uncomfortable seats, insufficient leg-room, he was honestly terrified of the feeling of being in the air, out of control.

 

He knew statistically the fear was unfounded, he really had more chance of dying walking across the street at home, being hit by a car. Try as he might, he couldn’t rid himself of his flying anxiety, so he gritted his teeth and prepared for the next seven hours.  my life.


 

////


 

Taehyung awoke with a start at the sound of the flight attendant’s voice, blaring through the speakers. Blinking one eye open to glance at his boarding pass ‘27B’ yup, that’s me!

 

Taehyung was extremely excited, he had finally finally worked up enough annual leave to take a trip back home. He hadn’t been back for far too long and the thought of no commitments or deadlines, no uncomfortable suits, and fresh air was simply too much.

 

Flashing a rectangular grin at the flight attendant, he practically bounded onto the aircraft.


 

////

 

Jungkook stopped at his aisle 27A’ . He hated sitting at the window, being able to look outside and see nothing except air and ocean made him feel nauseous. He bit his lip, wiping his clammy hands on his jeans and scooted over to his seat.

 

“Helloooo airplane neighbour” sing-songed a deep, husky (and far too cheerful) voice.

 

Oh god, he’s not going to want to talk the entire flight is he.

 

Jungkook looked up, apprehensively, to take in a blonde-haired boy with an absolutely ridiculous grin, almond shaped eyes that twinkled and an oversized jersey with (are they holes?) chopped in the sleeves.

 

“Ugh you got the window seat, lucky bastard” the stranger pouted, sticking his tongue out at Jungkook.

 

Are you always this chatty to strangers?

 

“We can switch” Jungkook offered, trying not to sound too hopeful.

The other’s face lit up at his suggestion, eyes widening in disbelief.

 

“What! Are you serious?” he beamed, looking like a small child.

 

“Sure.” Jungkook mumbled, “I hate the window seat” he admitted, shrugging.

 

“You’re positively insane!” the other laughed, “this is my lucky day.”

 

They switched positions, Taehyung smiling at Jungkook in gratitude.

 

////

 

Does he really hate the window seat? Taehyung thought, taking a minute to observe the other as he fumbled around for his headphones.

 

God, he’s attractive.

 

Taehyung took in his dark thick locks, framing his well-proportioned face, chiseled jawline, cherry-red lips and deep brown eyes.

 

Trailing his eyes south Taehyung didn’t miss the close fit of his white t-shirt along his broad, muscled shoulders.

 

Now I’ve got a view either side. Taehyung suppressed a giggle.

 

The head flight attendant’s voice crackled out the overhead speakers announcing take-off.

 

Taehyung leant back, eyelids fluttering shut, he always fell asleep easily on planes, much to his friends annoyance.

 

“ you Taehyung, you slept the entire flight again! It was TWELVE HOURS. I was bored out of my mind!!!” Jimin whined.

 

“S-sorry” Taehyung said, not a hint of apology in his voice. “Can’t help being a professional sleeper.”

 

“Not even Yoongi can sleep that easily” Jimin grumbled.

 

“Not with you, distracting him” Taehyung quipped cheekily, waggling out his tongue.

“Aish!! Shut up brat!” Jimin reprimanded.

 

////

 

Jungkook shuddered as the plane lifted off, cursing the instant film of sweat that spread across his forehead. He turned up his music to the absolute fullest, trying to drown out any noise.

 

Stay calm

 

You can do this

 

It’s a ing plane, just a plane

 

He glanced over at the over-excited blonde boy, realising with shock that he was fast asleep?

 

“Damn” Jungkook muttered, under his breath, he’d never ever been able to fall asleep on a plane, this guy had knocked off barely seconds after they’d left the ground.

 

He observed the guy a little more closely, blonde hair mussed up a little, long dark eyelashes, cheeks dusted pink. His puffy pink lips were parted a little, soft hushed snores escaping. He was hugging onto his pillow tightly, and Jungkook couldn’t help but think he was the most adorable thing he’d ever seen.

 

Taehyung stirred a little in his sleep, shivering.

 

Jungkook immediately unwrapped his airline assigned blanket, placing it gently on top of the boy’s own. He got up to adjust the aircon above their seats, shutting it off.

 

He didn’t know what possessed him, but the boy looked so angelic sleeping, and despite Jungkook’s jealousy at his apparent ease with airplanes, he didn’t want him to wake from the cold.

 

////

 

Cold.

 

Taehyung shuddered, blast airplanes and their ridiculously high air conditioning.

 

He stiffened slightly, as he felt a blanket being placed on top of his own.

 

What?

 

He peered out of half-closed eyelids, noting with shock that his next door neighbour had given up his blanket, and was currently tucking it around him.

 

Taehyung shut his eyes quickly, not wanting the other to know he was still awake. He couldn’t contain his curiosity for long (as usual), so he made a great show of yawning, lifting his hands above his head and ‘waking up’.

 

I knew I should have been an actor.

 

Taehyung side-eyed his neighbour, who had moved rather abruptly at the motion, eyes focused on his screen. Too focused. Taehyung noted how tightly he clutched the device, the slight beads of sweat that caused his hair to cling to his forehead (despite it being ing freezing). He saw the boy chewing incessantly on his lower lip, breathing coming out in short sharp gasps.

 

Is he afraid?

 

Taehyung was definitely surprised. This guy didn’t really look like he would be afraid of anything much less flying. Cute.

 

////

 

“You okay?” Taehyung whispered, Jungkook turned cautiously to his now wide-eyed wide-awake neighbour. He blushed slightly, realising the boy would probably now be questioning how he got an extra blanket.

 

“I’m not great with flying” he admitted in a whisper, averting eye contact.

 

“Aw” Taehyung said, smiling up at him. Aw he’s got bunny teeth Taehyung thought, watching them munch his lower lip.

 

“Wanna chat? Take your mind off it?” Taehyung offered, cocking his head up at Jungkook.

 

“Uh o-okay? If you want? I mean - you were pretty much fast asleep a couple of minutes ago” Jungkook let out in a rush.

 

“Wasn’t asleep” Taehyung grinned, causing Jungkook’s face to flush.

 

he was awake. Is that creepy I put a blanket on h-

 

“Thanks for the blanket” Taehyung’s voice interrupted his thoughts.

 

“S’okay” Jungkook mumbled, inwardly cursing his reddening cheeks.

 

“Okay we’ll play a game” Taehyung announced, “to keep your mind off well-”

 

“Yup” Jungkook agreed readily.


 

////

 

“P!”

 

“Potatoes!”

 

“Parsnip!”

 

“Peas”

 

“Peaches!!”

 

“Peaches is not a vegetable Taehyung, I win the P!” Jungkook laughed, at the blonde boy’s childish pout. He’d all but forgotten they were flying.

 

“This game ” Taehyung whined, blinking up, puppy eyes at Jungkook.

 

Jungkook grinned, adorable.

 

Ten minutes later their game of A-Z Categories: Vegetable! Had come to a close, Taehyung losing with a dramatic cry.

 

The occupant of seat number ‘27C’ glared at the two of them, his attempts at sleep too-frequently interrupted by Taehyung’s shrieks and Jungkook’s rather high-pitched giggles.

 

“Tell your boyfriend to please shut up” he growled at Jungkook, before turning his face to the other side.

 

Boyfriend? Jungkook blushed fiercely, nervously laughing at Taehyung.

 

“ sorry” Taehyung smiled, not looking apologetic in the least.

 

////

 

Fast forward three hours, five different games later, Jungkook was now listening to the fake ‘life stories’ Taehyung had made up for the passengers and crew surrounding them.

 

The two girls occupying 27 D & E were best friends about to go on holiday because 27D had just been dumped over Facebook.

 

28A was on a secret drug run, a lower ranking member of the mafia.

 

28 B & C were a couple on the verge of divorce, the wife was having an affair, and he would find out by the end of the plane ride.

 

Flight attendant 'Gary' was a recovering alcoholic, with a penchant for listening to Disney movies to help him fall asleep.

 

Jungkook’s face held a lazy grin as he listened to Taehyung chattering away, describing the people around them (a little too loudly) they realised, when 28 B had sent them a death stare as he bypassed to the restroom.

 

Jungkook thought he could laugh forever at Taehyung, smiling at the boy’s animated face and exaggerated gestures. His imagination seemed positively never-ending, and Jungkook didn’t think he could ever be boring.

 

, I’m talking too much, Taehyung thought, he always let his mouth run away with him. But Jungkook seemed a little enraptured? with his stories, and he was never one to leave an audience hanging. Plus, it’s not like he minded holding the attention of his super-cute plane buddy.

 

////

 

“I’d like to inform all passengers to please remain seated until the seatbelt light turns off. Thank you.”

 

The captain’s gruff voice over the loudspeaker caused Jungkook to look up incredulously.

 

We’re landing????

 

Jungkook was shocked, seven hours later they were landing and he had barely felt scared at all. He hadn’t even realised all that time had passed.

 

Damn it. Taehyung didn’t want the flight to end just yet. He was having way too much fun with Jungkook, and who knows, he probably wouldn’t ever get to see him again.

 

////

 

Taehyung and Jungkook shuffled off the plane, mid-argument about who the best avenger’s hero was.

 

Jungkook couldn’t for the life of him understand why anyone would believe that Captain-ing-America was better than Ironman.

 

“Tell me, what the do you see in Captain America” he scoffed.

 

“What do you NOT see!” Taehyung gasped, “he is the world’s most beautiful human” he continued, clasping his hands together, blinking starry-eyed.

 

Jungkook chuckled.

 

They eventually reached the baggage carousel and Jungkook frowned slightly at the realisation that they were going to part ways shortly.

 

“H-hey, do you wanna give me your number? Like, in case, I need to message someone when I’m flying home?” Jungkook suggested, looking down shyly.

 

Taehyung snorted “you can’t text people from the plane” he giggled, “but sure, I’ll give you my number for emergencies” he winked.

 

“Thank you” Jungkook smiled, stilling as Taehyung wrapped his arms around him.

 

“That was my favourite plane ride ever” he whispered, sending a rush of warmth throughout Jungkook’s body.

 

“I’ll see you” Jungkook waved, reluctantly removing himself from the boy’s tight grip.

 

“Goodbye.”

 

“Goodbye.”


 

////


 

Jungkook smiled down at his phone, his friends had mercilessly when he’d revealed the events that happened on the plane.

 

“You picked up a guy on the plane!” they laughed, incredulous.

 

“Did you join the mile-high club?”

 

Jungkook blushed, “god nooo, it wasn’t like that.”

 

He’d messaged Taehyung a little eagerly the next day, and they’d talked rather non-stop over the last two weeks.

 

They were both heading back shortly to Seoul, and had agreed to meet up when they were both back home.


 

////


 

Jungkook boarded the plane, ignoring the lump that immediately began forming in his stomach.

 

Glancing up at the aisle ‘15’ he sighed, looking over to his seat.

 

The sight of Taehyung, lazily sprawled across the seat made him gasp, audibly.

 

“Surprise” Taehyung grinned, eyes lighting up.

 

“I couldn’t really let a big baby like you fly alone now could I?”

 

Jungkook smiled, widely.

 

“Never again” he nodded, unaware of how true his statement would turn out to be.

 

 

;)