Twenty-Seven

"I Promise"

          The two talked until the late night. They both ordered take out from the Chinese restaurant around the corner so that they would not lose any time together, and when the clock chimed that it was past midnight, Daeun had to excuse herself to make a call to Hoseok.

          “I’m with Seohyun right now.”

          “Your roommate?” Hoseok asked.

          “Mhmm. I’m actually going to stay with her tonight. She’s still living at our house, if that’s okay with you.”

          “You don’t have to ask for permission, Daeun,” he laughed, “You’re free to do whatever you like. I’ll see you for the meeting tomorrow night, though?”

          “Actually, you might have to come meet us in the morning.”

          “What do you mean?”

          “It sort of happened that we’ll be spending the day with Seohyun and her fiancée tomorrow.”

          “Her fiancée?”

          “It’s a long story. But maybe you could take a taxi over? She wants to leave by 10 in the morning next morning.”

          “My driving license hasn’t expired. How about I pick the three of you up tomorrow?”

          “Thanks, Hoseok.”

          “Stay safe, Daeun. Have a good night.”

          Their call ended in the most normal way.

          Jackson, Seohyun’s fiancée, had returned home from his shift at the hospital. He was a practicing medicine student at the hospital where Seohyun and he worked. As Seohyun was studying to be a nurse, it had been quite natural for the two of them to meet at their workplace. Matching Seohyun’s bubbly personality, he was also an outgoing man. He was quick to laughter and always had a smile on his face. He was also extremely caring towards Seohyun’s every need. Daeun could tell from their brief interaction that he really did love Seohyun. She wondered if perhaps a major factor of Seohyun’s change was due to him.

          “What did Hoseok say?” Seohyun asked when Daeun returned.

          “He’s fine with it. Also, he said that he could come and pick us up tomorrow. His license hasn’t expired yet.”

          “Perfect. Oh, Daeun. The whole house has been remodeled but I didn’t touch your room.”

          The words surprised her.

          “I wanted to keep it the same for if you – when you – returned home.”

          A sad smile was hinted on Daeun’s lips. She quietly thanked Seohyun and bade the two good night.

          She closed the door behind her after she walked in and shuffled over to the bed. She sank into the mattress and it let out the same silent whoosh it always did when she sat down. Her eyes scanned the room and she noted the small change littered across her study table. A book had been opened and dust collected on its pages. A single sock hung off her lamp where its match had been thrown into the laundry basket. Her closet door was open where the same line of black t-shirts were piled in the corner.

          Nothing had been moved.

          With each new look, a strange feeling began to accumulate in her chest. Without her permission, large tears rolled out from the corner of her eyes and fell onto the patterned bed sheets.

          And there in the quiet of her old bedroom, Daeun cried for all the time that had been lost in the year.


          Hoseok promptly arrived at ten the next morning just like they had promised. It was perhaps the first time he had ever been on time for all she had known him. Jackson and Seohyun had awakened earlier than Daeun, not bothering to rouse her as they knew she was still battling the jet lag. In the time she had been sleeping, they had filled a small picnic basket with food to share in the afternoon. They also packed extra bottles of water and small snacks in a backpack. They had never told Daeun where they were going.

          When Seohyun and Hoseok met again, there was no trace of the awkwardness that Daeun had anticipated. The brief image of meeting Hoseok at a loud noisy club had flitted across Seohyun’s mind, but it had quickly been erased when Jackson brushed by her. He gave her hand a slight squeeze and her cheeks flushed even by his small gesture of affection.

          Daeun met them all outside once she awoke. She had thrown on a loose-fitting shirt and a pair of comfortable jeans. Her hair was tucked neatly beneath her baseball cap. The first thing that Hoseok thought when he saw her was that she looked rested.

          Jackson announced he had forgotten something inside the house so he returned back in with Seohyun. Daeun took a seat beside Hoseok while he waited in the driver’s seat.

          “You look great,” he said when she sat down.

          “What?” his comment took her aback. He didn’t usually compliment her.

          “I mean, you look awake. And refreshed.”

          “Oh. Yeah. I slept well last night.”

          “That’s good.”

          “How about you?”

          “Not bad. Actually, Daeun, I’ve been meaning to ask – ”

          His words were cut off when Jackson and Seohyun returned to the car. They carried another backpack with them. They were bantering back and forth even as they entered the back seats.

          “We don’t need six bottles of water, Jackson. There are only four of us.”

          “It’s going to be hot today. We need to prevent dehydration.”

          “The bottles are heavy!”

          “Babe, I’ll be the one carrying everything. I just want to make sure you’re hydrated.”

          “You guys are already bickering like a married couple,” Daeun teased them from the front seat.

          Seohyun playfully hit Jackson on the arm, then said, “Don’t tell me the two of you don’t fight like this.”

          It took a moment to understand what Seohyun was saying before Daeun quickly said, “Oh! Hoseok and I aren’t dating.”

          “Didn’t you say you guys were living together in New York?” Seohyun asked.

          Being in a relationship with Hoseok… The idea was so unfamiliar that it made her laugh. “We do. But I also live with six other guys. We’re sharing the house together.”

          “I’m sorry. You guys seemed so comfortable around each other I had assumed…”

          Daeun turned and gave her a smile. “Don’t worry about it. Hoseok and I are friends.”

          Seohyun gave her an embarrassed smile and then turned the conversation towards what she had planned for their short trip together. She had secured them tickets to the opening of the new amusement park.

          “It’ll be fun,” she promised, “Like a double date. Between friends, of course.”


          It had been a long time since Daeun had done anything that a normal twenty-four year old her age would do. Her life had recently been so filled with responsibilities; simple laughter was a strange concept. Seohyun had sensed her hesitance of letting herself free, but with Jackson’s help she eased both her and Hoseok.

          The men had gone off to grab the group churros which left Daeun and Seohyun a rare moment to themselves.

          “Just friends, huh?” Seohyun suddenly said.

          Daeun gave her a look. Her hair was still damp from the water ride they had returned from. A smile had been given a permanent spot on her face today.

          “You and Hoseok,” she pressed on.

          And another normal girl thing: the teasing about boys.

          “Oh, Seohyun, stop. That’s what Hoseok and I really are. Besides, I’m dating somebody else,” Daeun shyly said.

          “What? All this time, I’ve told you all about myself and you’re keeping something as big as a boyfriend away from me? Who?

          Daeun pressed her lips together. She had never explicitly talked about her relationship with Namjoon with anyone. Everybody who knew about them had never asked her to explain like this.

          “On second thought, don’t tell me anything. I’m going to continue shipping you and Hoseok together.”

          “Seohyun!” Dauen whined, “We’re not teenagers anymore. Don’t ship me with anyone thank you very much.”

          Seohyun laughed. “I’ve seriously missed you, Daeun. You’re the only one I can tease like this.”

          “You miss me or you miss teasing me?” Daeun dramatically huffed.

          “Both,” Seohyun giggled and hugged her.


          Meanwhile, the two men were waiting in line for their treats. It was the weekend and a lot of families and couples were out at the amusement park.

          “How long have you and Daeun known each other?” Jackson casually asked.

          Hoseok shook his head. “Daeun and I aren’t together,” he repeated what she had said earlier. In the short time he came to know Jackson, he could tell that the other man was incredibly friendly. He had a laid-back demeanor that made it very easy to talk to him.

          Jackson laughed. “I know. Daeun stressed that very clearly in the car earlier. I was just curious how long the two of you had known each other.”

          Hoseok scratched his head and gave an embarrassed chuckled. “Oh uh, that was awkward. Um, a couple of years. We actually met through Seohyun.”

          “Oh, really? How did that happen?”

          Hoseok’s mind flew back to that time he had followed Seohyun home. Perhaps that wasn’t the best story to tell her fiancée. He took the moment of silence to move forward and order their churros from the snack vendor.

          “Well, mutual friends. We… bumped into each other and in all honestly, I don’t remember too clearly.”

          Jackson gave him a smile. “It’s like that when you become really good friends with someone, huh? Seohyun and I haven’t known each other for long but I really don’t know what I’d do without her.” There was a distant look in his eyes before he blinked them away.

          “Seohyun mentioned that the two of you were in New York for a while. What are you going doing there?”

          “Business,” Hoseok answered curtly. He was starting to become a little annoyed with Jackson’s prying questions.

          “Oh I didn’t know that you were a business man! I mean, I shouldn’t judge a book by its cover but you really don’t look like it from the exterior.” He motioned towards Hoseok’s current outfit, which included his usual snapback, t-shirt and ripped jeans.

          Hoseok only smiled in answer. They walked together to where the girls were waiting and all the while, Jackson continued to talk.

          “Even though you guys were away for a long time, you’re still pretty close with the people you know in Seoul, right?”

          “I guess so. But really, the people I call family are in New York.”

          “You don’t have any ties left here?”

          “Not really.”

          “How about Daeun? Would you say she’s close with the people here?”

          “Um, hard to say. She doesn’t talk about her family that often. I’ve only ever heard her mention about Seohyun.”

          “She’s close to Seohyun then.”

          “Yeah, sure,” Hoseok snapped. The ongoing spitfire of questions finally got to him. “Look, Jackson – ”

          “I’m sorry!” Jackson cut him off. They stopped walking in the middle of the sidewalk, a couple of meters away from where Daeun and Seohyun were waiting. “I didn’t mean to ask so many things. It’d probably help if I didn’t beat around the bush.”

          Hoseok gave him a raised eyebrow.

          “And… I’m doing it right now. Our wedding. Seohyun and mine. I want to make it the best one for her; one that will be completely dream-like. So I thought that maybe you might know a little more about her than I do. Or Daeun. Either one of you could tell me what type of venue she’d like to be married at, the type of décor she’d like to see, the colour of the cake, whether she’d like cake or maybe she’s a macaron type of girl,” Jackson continued rambling until he became short of breath, “I only want her to feel like the princess and love that I see her as in my life.”

          “I’m sure she’d love anything you do for her, man,” Hoseok said, offering a smile, “She’s already said yes to marrying you. I’m sure she’s over the moon when you proposed.”

          “You think so?” Jackson had a hopeful look in his eyes.

          Hoseok placed a hand on his shoulder. “I’m positive. When you’re in love with a person, you don’t need anything large from them to feel happy. Of course, gifts and presents are an explicit way of showing your love. But the small things like walking them home, seeing that they’re safe and smiling around the people that they love are enough for you to be happy. Even if they’re smiling for another person.” His voice drifted off.

          “I certainly hope that Seohyun isn’t smiling for another person,” Jackson said.

          Hoseok blinked. “What? Oh sorry. Of – Of course not. I don’t know why I said that. She’s clearly only got eyes for you.”

          Chuckling, Jackson patted Hoseok’s back. “Thanks, man. I really appreciate it. This is what people mean when they say planning a wedding is the most stressful thing in the world, huh?”

          Hoseok smiled. “Probably.”

          “When everything’s over, I’ll give you some tips for when you plan yours. So you don’t have to stress over it like I am right now,” Jackson joked, “I see the girls waiting there for us. Let’s go.”

          With a gentle push, Hoseok was brought forward to walk along Jackson as they continued on their way with snacks in their hands.


          “Back to Hoseok,” Seohyun was saying.

          “Oh my god, again? We were just talking about him a minute ago. Shouldn’t we be having a nice conversation about your, I don’t know, upcoming wedding?” Daeun rolled her eyes.

          Seohyun tapped a finger on her chin. “Jackson said he’s got that covered. Besides, we hired a wedding planner so I think we’re good. It’s boring stuff anyways. Choosing the gown, choosing the cake – or maybe macarons, they’re in fad these days.”

          “Fad? I haven’t heard that word in ages,” Daeun teased.

          “Whatever! You know what I mean,” Seohyun huffed. She was still the same free-spirited girl that Daeun knew and loved. “Hoseok’s so much calmer now, don’t you think? He used to be so reckless and I don’t know, badass. The typical boy you’d meet at the club. But he’s so suave and attentive now. It’s sort of y, really.”

          “Yah! Kim Seohyun!” Daeun hit her friend on the arm, “Are you seriously calling another man y when you’re engaged?”

          Seohyun giggled and jumped away. She returned Daeun’s slap with a flick of her own on Daeun’s forehead. In the past when the two bantered like this, Daeun had always lost to Seohyun’s quick fingers.

          “I’m only making an observation. You can’t say that you don’t agree on how much he’s changed. Or maybe you haven’t noticed cuz you two have been living together for the past year.”

          “Seohyun…”

          “Again, I’m only making an observation.”

          Daeun rubbed her forehead. She really had never paid attention to Hoseok. Where in the past, he had been a nuisance to her, for dragging her along to missions that BTS needed her for, he had been a constant pillar of strength this past year. He had been by her side the first time she met Hong Jung Yee, he was there each time she returned home from a tough day at work to talk to, he had prepared the special event for her birthday. He may not have been the first one to rescue her when Robert kidnapped her, but some strange reason, he had been the first person she thought of when she needed help. The hidden message in the video she sent had been meant for him.

          Rubbing her head only made it throb more, so she sighed and put her hand down. Hoseok was different. She saw his kindness at the showcase with the children. He genuinely seemed happy and although he had complained about his role, she saw how happy teaching them dance had made him. It was a rare side of him that he hadn’t ever really shown anybody.

          Besides that, she remembered when he told her about his family. And the tears he had shed when he relived the memory. He didn’t have to tell her about any of it. The past Hoseok probably would have stalked away and made a big joke out of it all. But he had stayed, and carefully revealed his most painful secret. He had chosen her to be the one to talk to.

          “And now I’m making the observation that you’re completely lost in thought,” Seohyun commented quietly from the sidelines.

          Daeun hit her again. “Your fingers are still as powerful as ever, I see. My head hurt too much.”

          Seohyun smirked. “Sure.”

          Daeun looked away, distracted by how far her train of thought had led her and the feelings that were tumbling inside. She noticed two familiar people walking towards them and pointed them out.

          Seohyun followed her pointing finger. Getting up from her seat, she ran towards Jackson and gave him a flying hug. It nearly caused him to drop the churros all over the ground.

          The three walked back to Daeun after Seohyun covered Jackson in kisses, making Hoseok and Daeun turn away.

          “Seohyun-ah, you’re making everyone around us uncomfortable,” he said with flushing cheeks.

          “Sorry, Oppa. I only missed you,” she whined, looping her arms through his.

          “I was gone for fifteen minutes,” he laughed.

          She kissed him on the cheek and pouted, “And that was fifteen minutes too long.”

          Jackson pretended to gag, but everyone saw the smile he was hiding. “If you keep this up, you’re going to scare all the people in this park away.”

          Seohyun cleared and held up three fingers as if she was taking an oath, “I solemnly swear that I won’t kiss you in public for the rest of the day. Unless we’re alone.” She ends her promise with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

          Jackson rolls his eyes and shoves the churros towards .

          Taking the opportunity for the two love birds to be alone, Hoseok walks over to where Daeun was still sitting. He offers her the chocolate dipped treat in one hand and takes a seat beside her.

          She thanks him and takes a bite, enjoying the light breeze and relaxed atmosphere around her.

          “So you and Seohyun have a good time catching up while we were gone?”

          “Yeah,” she smiled at him. A gentle gust blew his cap off from his head, tousling his bangs and giving him a childish look. With his wide surprised eyes, she found herself seeing him as an innocent child, chasing after his fallen hat.

          He returned moments later, sticking the hat back into his pocket.

          “You’re not going to wear that?” she asked.

          “Nah. The wind is too strong today so it’ll probably blow off again. I don’t want to lose this,” he patted his pocket.

          She averted her gaze to fight the urge to tuck his bangs away from his eyes.

          “What’d you guys talk about?” Hoseok turned to look at her. Her cheeks were flushed and he assumed that she was cold from the growing wind. He took off his baseball jacket and offered it towards her. She held out a hand to tell him she was alright.

          “Stuff. Just things that happened in the past year. Girl things,” she gave him a vague answer, “How about the two of you? Do a lot of talking with Jackson?”

          Hoseok laughed. “A little too much on his end.”

          She raised an eyebrow in curiosity.

          “His wedding with Seohyun and, you know… guy things,” he back with the same vague answer.

          Raising a fist, she lightly punched his shoulder. He easily dodged the attack and laughed at her flustered expression.

          “Hey guys! Some kid told me that the rollercoaster’s been fixed! Let’s go ride it!” Seohyun excitedly exclaimed. Her body was already turned towards the yellow behemoth that towered over the entire park.

          The two that were seated met Jackson’s eyes and he gave a helpless shrug as if to say, “She’s the princess. I’m going to do whatever she wants today.”

          Daeun sighed but nodded. She turned to throw her the paper bag from the churro away and when she looked again, Hoseok was standing before her with an outstretched hand. She tilted her head up and saw him kindly looking down back at her.

          With another sigh and a hidden smile, she let him take her hands into his.


hello all! happy new year! i have been quite busy these past few days just getting back into the gist of school and stuff that i completely forgot to update this story D: i hope you all enjoy the lovely Daseok that is throughout this entire paper <3 this is just so light hearted it makes me happy just writing it. have you guys heard...? BTS are planning for a comeback in February. watch out world... i am going to be screaming at all of you once that happens.