Love Child

Aphrodite's Son

He took the meaning of 'love child' to a whole new level.
Ever since he was born it was just something he had possessed. It was a natural charm that entranced the people around him and made it practically impossible for anyone to say no to him.
Tough break for his dad which was the only other relative he knew and lived with. Even when he was just in diapers crawling around on the living room floor, he seemed to be even more privileged and taken care of than other babies somehow. His big beautiful eyes and the adorable way he cooed and giggle had his dad taking care of his every whim from changing dirty diapers, to calming intense temper tantrums, and wiping crayon doodles off of every wall in the house. He really should have been reprimanded maybe a little harder when he threw fits and was childishly stubborn, but his dad just didn't have it in him. Not whenever he looked into those big blue eyes and was reminded of the boy's mother, the woman he had fallen so deeply in love with. He would take care of Taemin the best he could until the day he died for her.
As a child Taemin brought home time and time again the best reports from his teachers. It was no surprise, year after year, of the good responses he received.
"I've never had a student as kind as him! He is such a sweet little lamb."
"You should be so proud of your son. He is very intelligent. He'd have no problem moving up a grade. You should definitely consider it."
"Taemin is such a handsome young man. I've never seen a child born around here with such sunny blonde hair and stunning blue eyes. He'll for sure be a heart-breaker when he grows up. Those ladies better watch out."
"How do you say no to him at home Mr. Lee? He is the most charming and sweetest student I have ever met."
---
Taemin made a lot of friends when he entered school. His teachers adored him. Almost every kid in his class liked him and wanted to be his friend and they complimented his blonde hair so he didn't ever feel different for it.
He had asked his dad one time why he had lighter hair than everyone else. He didn't know why he looked different.
"You get those traits from your mother."
"My mother? I have a mother?" The little boy's eyes got big, excited from leaning such news.
"Of course you do."
"Where is my mother then?" Taemin thought it was strange that his dad looked stuck for a moment and didn't say anything. "Dad?"
"She... she's just not here right now."
"Will she be back someday?"
"Someday, Son."
"Ok." The boy smiled happy that his Dad told him he'd get to meet his mother someday and walked into the kitchen to grab a snack.
---
As a teen, and in high school, most all of the kids were charmed by him and not once was he ever bullied by someone. Taemin learned early that his smile dazzled his teachers and fellow peers and it was as if he had a gift of receiving what he wanted every time he asked. He may have used it to get extra points for his grades in class, receive another day or two on papers he had forgotten to do, and even make the most confident popular girls blush. Everyone didn't know why they were so enthralled by the boy or why they naturally gravitated toward him and it wasn't even something they thought about; it just happened. Taemin may have stolen the hearts of many without even trying with his beautiful features and the naturally elegant way he carried himself. Even his voice was incredibly pleasing to the senses. It didn't seem like anyone else glowed with the kind of charm he had, but he figured if he had this blessing of a gift, he might as well use it. Why waste such a beautiful thing?
---
The young teenager came home from school one day, followed by a few fellow classmates who waved and tried to make plans with him before he disappeared into his house. Taemin only left them hanging with a smile charming enough to break their hearts right in half and a vague, "maybe." before slipping in and shutting the door.
He heard people talking in the dining room, which was strange because his father never had anyone over. He was curious who was here and walked into the next room to see his dad and a young woman sitting at the table.
"Whoa, dad, way to keep your new girlfriend a secret from me."
The woman was beyond beautiful and almost looked like a doll with the few to none imperfections that she had. Her sleek hair, black as the midnight sky, laid in perfectly straight strands down her front. Her big eyes were a beautiful warm brown color and  her pouty lips had the slightest hint of pink in them.
"Hi." He greeted her since she was just staring at him. "I'm Taemin."
The woman's eyes suddenly went misty and she quickly stood from her chair and rushed over to grab the boy in a hug.
Taemin just looked over her shoulder to lock eyes with his dad and show how incredibly confused he was.
"Uhh."
"Taemin." She cooed as if the name meant as much as gold to her. "I didn't think I would cry, but I'm just so happy to see you."
She let go of him and wiped her eyes quickly.
"But I can't believe what an idiot you've become. You treat my gift to you horribly and I can't take it anymore."
Taemin could only stare at her in shock. He had no clue what was going on.
She read his face and took a breath to calm herself.
"Taemin, do you have any idea who I am?"
He shook his head and she sighed.
"Well, I am the Goddess of love and beauty, Aphrodite, and I am your mother."
Taemin's first response was to laugh. Who could take anyone that said that seriously?
"What?"
She closed her eyes and brushed her hands through her hair once and the ebony strands turned to a sunny golden blonde at the touch of her fingers, and when she opened her eyes they were sapphire blue, just like his. His laughter stopped.
"Sixteen years ago I fell in love with a human and you are our love child. I have been watching over you all these years and I'm very disappointed in how you are treating my gift."
Taemin glanced over to his father still sitting at the table watching them.
"Dad, is this true?"
The man nodded and then stood up to walk over to them. He placed a comforting hand on Taemin's back.
"You never got to know who your mother is and I think now is the best time of any to do so."
"What does that mean?"
"On spring break you'll spend the week with me and my family." The woman said happily.
"Where is that exactly?"
"Well, it's about 9,000 feet up in the air."
"What?!"
She laughed. "Don't they teach you anything in school? We're going to where any other god lives. On Mount Olympus."
---
 "You know, I was thinking... don't you have to be a full god to get up there?"
Taemin asked after pulling his luggage from his dads car. He waved goodbye to his father as he drove away. They already made plans for him to pick Taemin up at the end of the week after he spent time with his mother.
"Not necessarily."
 Taemin followed her as they headed towards the mountain. It was so tall that Taemin couldn't see the rest of it passed the clouds. "There is a human servant that helps us up on Mount Olympus. You'll meet him."
As they neared the base of the mountain, a golden carriage was waiting there for them. Taemin couldn't believe his eyes at seeing two horses with wings coming from their backs attached to the carriage. They were pure white and stomping the ground as Taemin and his mom came closer. The driver, a young male god with bright white wings coming out of his back as well, looked up when he heard the two coming near.
"Well, hello Taemin! It's nice to finally meet you."
Taemin greeted him back. His mother smiled at the coachman.
"Good morning, Cupid. Would you mind taking us up to the top?"
"At your service, your Highness."
Taemin and his mom climbed into the carriage. Taemin clutched the seat when he felt the Pegasus begin to run and lift up the carriage as they began to flap their wings. He couldn't say he had been on a ride like this before. His mother held his hand to comfort him as the carriage flew around the mountain and went up and up and up. Taemin's gaze betrayed him a few times and looked out the window to the see the wide open ocean below him with the waves crashing against the bottom of the mountain.
Once they broke through the clouds, it didn't take long for the carriage to land on a clearing.
His breath was taken away when he looked out the window and saw the large white stone castle built into the mountain tops. He had never seen something so magnificent in his life. He saw a few Gods walking around and some had even stopped to look at the carriage. They had silky white robes thrown over them and their golden sandals clicked on the ground. They all had that bright blonde hair and sparkling blue eyes just like him.
"Come on, let's go meet everyone."
Taemin stepped out of the carriage and his feet landed on emerald green grass. There were even tall pillars here and there with vines wrapped around them and a few patios here and there with stone benches. Large trees grew golden apples that shimmered in the sunlight. He was in complete aw of his surroundings.
His mother came around and led him forward, pulling him out of his trance, and introduced him to the gods and goddesses that walked by. They were all such beautiful men and woman and looked like they had been through stories to tell.
They came up to a young teenager, about Taemin's age, scrubbing one of the marble patios with a sponge and a wooden bucket by his side. The boy stood up when the two approached him and offered them the biggest smile he could muster. He was dressed in a black robe with a brown belt and brown sandals. Definitely a human since most gods had blonde hair and blue eyes and dressed in the purest of white robes. The boy's hair was brown as well as his eyes, but he still managed to catch Taemin's attention.
"Good morning, Onew. This is Taemin."
Onew, just a little taller than Taemin, reached out and shook his hand. He seemed friendly and more than welcoming.
"Hello, Taemin. I'm so happy to meet you!"
For once Taemin didn't have a sly remark, or a charming response to fire back. His mind was blank and his thoughts completely short circulated in his head. He could barely muster a simple hello back and even then he stumbled over his words.
What was going on with him?
"Onew, would you be so kind to show Taemin around. Make him feel welcomed and bring him to his room to get settled in?"
The boy nodded.  "I'd love to. Follow me, Taemin."
Taemin forgot how to walk for a second with how he tripped over his own legs taking his first steps to follow the boy in front of him. They walked silently heading towards the castle.
"So you'll be staying here for a whole week?"
Taemin nodded, still unable to find his words. His throat felt as dry as sand.
"Surprised to find out who your mother is?"
"Y-eah. I was told by my dad that my mom was some American woman. That's why I was born with blonde hair  and blue eyes."
Onew glanced over at him.
"I heard you're even more charming than her."
Taemin laughed.
"Yeah, well, she doesn't seem too happy about that."
Onew and Taemin walked up plenty of stone steps which felt like they had walked a mile when they had finally reached the majestic and huge stone doors. Honestly with how humungous this castle was, Taemin didn't know how it was standing on this mountain. It was breathtaking. A white stone castle lined with gold, fit for the best of gods to reside in.
Onew saw how blown away he was.
"Wait until you see the inside."
Onew placed his hands on the door and leaned against it but no matter how hard he pushed, he couldn't open the door.
"Need help?" Taemin asked.
Onew smiled gratefully.
"If you wouldn't mind. "
Taemin pressed on it, expecting it to weigh as much as a mountain, but with just the slightest push, the doors opened.
"Thank you so much! Gods are so much stronger  than humans, even half gods."
Taemin just smiled at him. Onew made his feel greatly appreciated. His face suddenly felt warm.
"No  problem."
Taemin stepped in with him and his breath was taken away by the sight of the shiny white marble flooring, and the grand staircase with a golden rug laid out down the steps. Long golden curtains hung down from the tall, tall ceiling to the floor and covered the crystal clear windows. He felt so small in such a giant place.
"Welcome to your home. I'll show you your room, ok?"
Taemin started following him again when Onew started walking.
---
Onew walked him up the grand staircase and over to the west wing. As they moved down the stone hallway, they passed tall windows that over looked the mountain tops below them. Taemin could probably sit and admire the view for hours as the sun rose and set, but somehow Onew kept his attention away from the beautiful sight without even saying a word.
They turned down another hall and at the end of that one they walked up a circular staircase. In that hall they were even higher up. Onew looked back at him and Taemin liked the way his brown hair swayed.
"I'm jealous. Your room has the best view."
 Taemin could barely concentrate on the words he was saying, not with the way he smiled right after saying them. He felt his heart compress a little in his chest.
Ow.
They came to a set of doors and Onew stepped aside.
"I'll let you do the honors."
Taemin walked up and pressed down on the golden handle and pushed.
When he opened the door, he thought this must be a mistake. The first thing he saw was a plump bed with golden sheets and a red pattern laced through them. It was piled high with red and gold pillows and a red see-through curtain that hung from the giant bed posts. The walls were painted a deep red and the floor was marble white with flecks of gold. There was a giant window on the other side of the room with gold steal spiraled along through the glass. Walking up to the window, he saw an ocean as far as the eye could see in between a valley of mountains.
"I told you." Onew smiled at the shocked look on Taemin's face.
"Are you sure this is mine?"
"Of course. Do you not see it fit for a demi god?"
"No, I do. It's more than I could ask for."
Onew smiled at him.
"Well I hope you enjoy your time here."
----
Onew walked him through the rest of the castle at a smooth pace and talked to him about Taemin's life and in return talked about his own. The conversation felt so smooth with Onew and he was so friendly, someone would have thought they had been friends for years if they saw them together.
Taemin learned Onew was a human who at a young age was chosen to help the gods. They didn't choose just any human to see them or be around them. Onew was special because of his character and loyalty. Onew wasn't stuck there. He could leave when he pleased and the gods weren't worried about him revealing their secrets because they knew that wasn't in him to do so.
He didn't mind helping the gods. He cleaned their castle room by room, mopping and dusting. He tidied up the stables nearly every day. He kept the gardens trimmed and planted the flowers. Breakfast and dinner as well were all on him, and if any god requested help from him, that was added on too. It was a lot to take care of such a big place. Taemin didn't know how he did it all.
Taemin confessed the mistakes in the part of his life. He may have went over board with his charm at times and manipulated people to make the result better for himself. Onew reassured him that everyone made mistakes and as long as they recognized them and worked to change for the better, it was all ok.
Everything about this place was beautiful. It was like a paradise, with such a beautiful castle to live in and the lush gardens and the ocean side view. He couldn't think of a better place to go on spring break.  He was surrounded by people like himself, other gods. Even if he was a demi god, he felt they would still treat him the same. They seemed friendly enough.
---
His mother introduced him to the other gods up on Mount Olympus. Apollo, Athena, Hera, Zeus, and a lot more that Taemin forgot the names of. They all greeted him with a warm handshake. They said he looked just as godlike as his mother and he seemed like a charming young man for sure.
Taemin thought he could definitely get use to these people for the week.
---
On day two, Taemin woke up to a knock on his bedroom door. He stepped out of bed and opened the door to see Onew standing there of course with a big smile of his face.
"Morning, Sunshine. Your mother sent me to wake you. She figured it would be good for you to do some morning chores with me since she tells me you like to charm your way out of them." Onew mocked with a knowing grin on his face.
Taemin blushed, embarrassed. "Ok."
Onew took him out to the gardens and the two planted white roses together. It was sunny out and Taemin was hot. He couldn't imagine how warm Onew was with that black robe on. After t some shrubs and watering the plants it was time for breakfast. Onew had collected a basket full of golden apples.
"You can eat those?"
"Yes. They are delicious! We'll be using them for breakfast this morning."
"We're making breakfast?"
Onew nodded. "Yes and we better start now. The Gods can get rather grumpy when they're hungry.
---
They sat at a long wooden table where all the other Gods sat at with all the food Onew and Taemin had worked so hard to make.
"Wow, Taemin. You two made this all by yourselves?"
He nodded.
Onew had taught him so much and had done most of the work. Taemin felt slow and inexperienced compared to Onew but the boy encouraged him throughout it all and made him feel like he was doing a great job.
Once everyone started eating, they all complimented their work. They teased Onew that he might have some competition in the kitchen especially when Taemin became really experienced, which he would by the end of the week with such a great teacher like Onew.
After breakfast, Taemin was free to wonder yet somehow he managed to run into Onew mopping the floor of a giant library in the castle.
"Do you ever take a break?"
"I do, but cleaning is relaxing for me. I like seeing the finished result after all the hard work I put in."
Taemin walked in and sat down on a comfy chair at the side of the room. He looked up at the circular ceiling with a gigantic chandelier hanging from the ceiling. His eyes followed the rows and rows of books lining the circular room.
"Does anyone ever read these books?"
Onew shrugged, dipping the mop into the bucket and dragging it over the marble flooring.
"Not much anymore. I'll take one with me out to one of the patios and read it sometimes. This room is pretty abandoned for the most part."
Taemin watched him clean some more. He looked determined to do his best. Taemin admired him for that.
"What do you do for fun around here?"
"Well, you could play with Cupid's Pegasus, that is if they like you. They are intelligent animals you know."
"I meant, what do you do?"
Onew stopped and looked over at him.
"Oh, me? Well, I like to sit in the gardens sometimes. Or read a book or two. I know, it might not sound like much fun to you, but i'm just content to be here. You don't see many places like this on the world below."
Onew leaned down and picked up the bucket.
"Would you like to come to the stables with me?"
"Yeah." Taemin replied, immediately standing and following him out of the room like a puppy.
---
The winged horses were definitely intimidating. They knew what godlike creatures they were and wouldn't stand for just anyone petting them. They seemed to love Onew though and nudged their heads into his hand for his attention.
"Don't try to pet them just yet. You need to earn their trust first."
They stomped their hooves on the wooden stable floor and twitched their wings with Taemin in the same room as them. They stared at him warily while rubbing their necks against Onew.
"If you're really nice to them, they might let you pet them by the end of the week."
"Have you ever ridden one before?" Taemin asked looking over the muscled body of the horses and admiring how soft the feathers on their wings looked.
"Of course not. They aren't tools. Cupid using them to bring you up here was an exception. Other than that, they are treated just like the rest of the gods."
Onew laid out more hay for them and filled up their water.
"It's crazy how much work you do here. They are so lucky to have you."
Onew smiled back at him.
"I like to think I'm the lucky one."
---
On day three, after making breakfast and watering the garden. Taemin sat outside with Onew on a stone bench. Onew had a book on his lap but of course wasn't getting too far with Taemin talking to him. He didn't mind the company. He could read these books that he always read over and over any time he wanted. He could only see Taemin this week though.
Taemin's mother came up to them. She was in a beautiful light pink robe and had a golden vine headpiece sitting on top of her head.
"Nice to see you two getting along. Have you made a real friend or have you just charmed poor Onew?"
Onew laughed at the silly joke but Taemin was kind of taken back.
Had he been charming Onew this whole time?
Was Onew just being nice to him because he was a nice person and couldn't tell Taemin to leave him alone?
Maybe Onew really didn't like him that much after all.
---
For the rest of the day, Taemin was wondering in his own mind. He felt helpless to his own power. He didn't want to naturally charm people that he actually wanted to be friends with. He didn't want to manipulate and force them to like him.
He rethought about all the people in his school. They must have been all fooled by his charm. They were all led to be his friend by something he couldn't control. He was beginning to regret even being born like this. He wished he was never given this gift, or now he thought of it as a curse.
Onew eventually found him sitting in the stables with the Pegasus.
"Hey, I've been wondering where you were all day. Are you not feeling well or something?"
"I'm fine."
Onew looked at him curiously. He certainly didn't seem fine. His glum voice and the slouched way he was sitting on the floor gave him away. While walking towards the tied up hay on the side of the stable, Onew did a double take when he noticed the Pegasus were already given hay and their water was full and the floor was swept. He stopped in his tracks and glanced over at Taemin.
"Did you...?"
"Yeah. I figured since I was here, I'd clean up a bit. It's not perfect but I tried."
"Thanks, Tae. I really appreciate it."
Taemin looked back down to the floor. He looked so glum; the sight tugged at Onew's heart.
"Hey." Onew came over and sat down in front of him on the ground.
"Do you want to talk about it?" He asked with concern written all over his face. If Taemin were to open up to anyone here, it would be Onew.
"I don't know what to believe anymore. I want to believe that we actually became friends. I don't want to think I tricked you."
"Oh, Tae, is this about yesterday when your mother said that to you? That was just a joke, believe me. Everyone tells that joke to your mom. So trust me, she didn't mean to say anything that would hurt you. She knows that you and I are actually friends."
Taemin still looked as depressed as when Onew first walked in here. There was no glimmer of happiness in his eyes what so ever.
"But how would you know I haven't charmed you? You're just a human. I could manipulate you and you wouldn't even know it was happening."
"Taemin, during this week, I don't recall you ever trying to manipulate me. You were just being yourself and there's no crime in that."
"But, I think it just happens. It's something I can't control."
Onew took a hold of his hand.
"Listen Tae, I think you have the wrong idea about your gift. No one is being forced to be your friend. They made be very influence to want to be around you because of your charm and beauty, but you do not have them tied with chains. They are choosing  to be around you if they want to. So you might have a lot more real friends than you think you do."
Onew could see he looked a bit better.
"Your gift shouldn't be a burden, I promise you."
Taemin looked up at him with a little hope in his eyes.
"Ok."
Onew got up and held out his hand.
"Come with me. I want to show you something that will lift your spirits."
Taemin was curious, so he took his hand and stood up.
Onew whistled for the Pegasus to follow him.
"Where are we going?" Taemin asked, confused.
"You'll see."
---
Onew had walked them along the mountain cliffs and across deep slopes wrapped around the mountain where they could see right over the edge down to the waves crashing down on the mountain below. The Pegasus flew in the sky around them but stayed near them as they traveled down the mountain more and more.
"So, are you taking me somewhere where no one will see you murder me or what?"
Onew laughed.
"No it's much to hard to kill a demi god, so there is no reason for me to even try."
Taemin held his breath plenty of times while walking and seeing dirt and rocks just fall over the side of the cliff.
Before Taemin could faint, they finally got to their destination. The slope went down into a small cliff with the mountain curving over it and with vines hanging down above them. It overlooked the ocean with just strips of clouds hovering just in front of them.
"Wow."
Onew smiled back at him.
"I like to come here by myself sometimes to just relax."
They sat down on the plush grass and then Taemin ducked when the Pegasus looked as if they were going to land on the cliff as well. The harsh flaps of their wings as they landed blew their hair back and when the cliff shook from their landing, Taemin thought the cliff would collapse and they would go plummeting to their death.
"It's ok. This cliff is stronger than you think."
Taemin eyed him.
"I'm pretty sure that would be one way to kill me though."
"Nah, if you fell into the waves, Poseidon would come and save your precious self."
One of the Pegasus came and curled up around Onew and set his head on his lap. He through the Pegasus's mane.
Taemin shivered when the other one came close to him and breathed on top of his head. He seemed to be smelling his hair and then suddenly it was trying to have a snack. Onew laughed as Taemin shook his head and covered it from the winged horse who just walked to the back of the cliff to lay down.
"I think he likes you."
Taemin glared at him and the animal.
"Yeah right."
It was very easy to relax here and just listen to the sounds of the waves crashing below them. The wind smelled of the ocean and flowers and both of them had eventually laid down on the soft grass as well. The sun was coming down and melting into the ocean. They watched the sky until the stars began to glimmer and black had dampened the sky. He guessed it was the best time to head back home now.
"Hey, Onew..."
He stopped talking after he had leaned up and saw the male in a deep sleep. He looked over and saw the Pegasus resting as well. He didn't really see the need in waking everyone, and it wasn't so bad here. He already felt pretty sleepy so taking the long walk back home didn't seem so appealing.
He laid his head back down on the grass and starred at the sky for a moment before glancing back at Onew. His brown bangs rested over his closed eyes and his hands laid on his chest which moved with every soft breath he took.
Taemin really didn't understand how Onew wasn't a God, or at least a demi God like him. He was so kind and responsible, not to say just as beautiful as everyone else. If anyone inherited Aphrodite's looks, it was him.
Taemin closed his eyes and tried to clear his mind to go back to sleep. He really hoped what Onew had said earlier was true. He wished Onew actually was his friend for real.
---
When day four came, Onew led a sleepy Taemin back home by his hand, to make sure he didn't walk off the side of the cliff of course.
They made breakfast together again, and by "they" well, Onew cut and stirred and heated the food while Taemin took the plates out to the table. Onew cut him some slack this morning since he looked so sleepy. He'd look over and smile at the sleepyhead who kept bumping into things and tripping over his own feet but the boy didn't even notice.
---
Aphrodite sat next to her son after breakfast.
"So, have you been enjoying your time here, Taemin?"
"Yeah. I really like it. Will I be able to come back again sometime?" He asked hopefully.
His mother smiled at him and pet down the side of his head.
"I would love you too, Taemin. That makes me really happy to hear that you want to."
Taemin smiled back at her.
"You know, I'm really happy I got to meet you. I don't really know much about you but a part of me thinks I've known you my whole life."
She pat him on the shoulder.
"You've really impressed me this week, Son. I love you so much."
Taemin looked down. A moment passed between them, which felt like decades to him. He really wanted to ask this nerve-wracking question that was brewing in his head.
"Um...is there a reason why...you never came to see me?"
Aphrodite brought her hand back to her lap. The smile faded from her face.
"Well, Gods aren't supposed to interact with humans. Your father was a different story, but as you know, I couldn't stay after you were born. Don't think it was because I didn't love you or your father, because I did and still do, of course. I cried a lot hoping you didn't worry yourself about wondering where I was, or thinking that I chose to abandon you. It was nothing like that."
Taemin felt shocked when he looked up and saw the small hint of tears glistening in the corner of her eyes. She really felt that way. He reached to hold her hand and she squeezed it back tight.
"It may have been looked down upon to be with your father and have you but it was anything but a mistake. I wouldn't change falling in love with your father or having you for anything. I love you both so dearly. I- I'm just not allowed to be around you while you live in the world below with the humans. It's just how the rules are. Trust me, I would break them if I could."
Taemin wrapped his other hand around hers and held it tight.
"It's ok. I understand. Please don't cry, Mom."
She looked up at him and smiled at the one name she had never gotten to hear from her one and only son.
Taemin was the one trying to fight back tears when she leaned in to hold him in her arms. His chest felt tight. He didn't realize how much he had needed his mother's hugs until now.
---
"Miss your dad?" Onew asked as they were mopping one of the floors in the castle.
"Of course I do."
"Are you going to miss me?" He asked softly.
"Nah, you're a dork." He smirked when Onew looked over at him shocked, not expecting that answer.
"Well then, see if I pay attention to you next time you come back."
The floor was half clean by now, but they still had so much to do like dust the shelves and clean out the fireplace.
"You are coming back, right?"
Taemin smiled at the concern in his voice.
"Why? Are you going to miss me?"
"Of course I will. You should be able to visit whenever you want. I would just ask your mom the next time you see her."
Taemin glanced over at him.
"Yeah, I have, and she said she would be more than happy if I came back."
Onew's regular smile returned to his face.
"Good." He dunked the mop into the bucket and mopped the floor with a bit more pep in his step. "How long until you come back then?"
"I don't know. I guess until my next break. So on winter break?"
"Winter?"
"Yeah."
Onew nodded happily.
"Oh, you'll love it here during winter. It's so beautiful. I can't wait for you to see."
Onew's grin was truly contagious. How did his cheeks not hurt from all that smiling? Taemin's sure were.
"Fine. It's a date-I mean DEAL. It's a DEAL then."
Onew quirked an eyebrow at him but laughed it off with the incredibly flushed boy.
---
Day five had all gone by too quick in Taemin's opinion. The morning flew by in a blink. He made breakfast with Onew and instead wanted Onew to just watch him and guide him if he made any mistakes. Onew watched over his shoulder and was content with how much Taemin had learned. Taemin knew he was proud of him.
He had set the table and everything and threw one of the dish cloths in Onew's face playfully.
"Bet you didn't believe I could do it all by myself, huh?" He said with some intimidating sass in his voice.
Onew laughed and pulled the rag off his face.
"No. I believed in you the whole time." He said sincerely.
Taemin had to go drink a cold glass of water after the compliment.
---
"Are you sure you want to do all this work by yourself?" Onew asked concerned after Taemin insisted he clean the stables, water the garden and sweep the main entrance of the castle.
"Yeah. Why don't you go lay down? Take a day off or something. I got this."
The human looked relieved but still reluctant. "Are you sure?"
"Yes."
"Well, ok, but if it gets to be too much, feel free to come get me."
"Onew, go."
"Ok, ok."
Taemin spent the day cleaning and cleaning. It was tiring of course, but he felt he had something to prove.
His mother found him in the gardens. Taemin looked up and smiled at her. He snipped off one of the roses, making sure to clip off all the thorns before handing it to her. He saw the love in her eyes from the gift.
"Where's Onew?"
"I fired him."
She laughed.
Taemin picked up the pail and continued to water the plants.
"I wanted him to take the day off. I thought he deserved it sense he has been such a great teacher to me these last couple of days."
"That's very thoughtful of you."
Taemin felt happy with himself.
"So then, what's Onew doing?"
Taemin shrugged.
"I don't know. Maybe reading a book?"
"Well." She said turning around and casually walking away. "Don't keep him waiting too long. I'm pretty sure he'd like to spend time with you while you're still here. He's your friend, isn't he?"
Taemin stopped and she smiled at him.
"The flowers can always be watered, but you won't always be able to spend time with Onew."
A little bit of panic set deep into his chest.
Yeah, flowers could definitely wait. He had to go find his friend.
---
Onew woke up to a small thud on his chest. He opened his eyes and looked down to see a golden apple. He glanced over to his side to see Taemin sitting on the ground next to him biting into a golden apple as well.
"You know, you wouldn't believe how long I was searching for you until I finally figured you'd be in your special place."
Onew leaned up, while rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.
"Tae? Did you finish the chores already?"
The demi God just slumped his shoulders.
"Most of them. I figured I'd spend the rest of the day with you while I could since I'll be going back home soon."
Onew brightened up like the sun in that sleepy face of his.
They talked and talked until eventually the sky went black and only the stars were twinkling down on them.
Taemin, however, was only focused on the stars in the human's eyes. They were hard to look away from. He felt his chest get tight at times when Onew did the stupidest things such as the way his eyes would squint almost closed when he laughed, and the way he'd quirk the corner of his lips sometimes while just staring at Taemin while the demi God talked. It somehow made it very hard to keep all his words in line and he'd fumble over a few with Onew looking at him like that. He always seemed to be rendered speechless by Onew's beauty. Was this how others felt when they looked at him?
"Tae?"
The boy looked up.
"Hmm?"
"Are you ok? You seem a little distracted today. Are you thinking about the end of the week?"
Taemin sighed.
"It has been on my mind."
Onew looked down and nibbled on his lip.
"Hopefully winter break comes soon for you."
Taemin nodded and the human smiled trying to lift the mood.
"Don't worry though. You get to see your dad again and your friends at school. Before you know it, it'll be winter and you'll be stuck with me for a whole two weeks."
Taemin's lips cracked a small smile. That didn't sound too bad.
"Onew..."
The human raised his eyebrows softly.
"Yeah?"
Taemin ran his hand over the plush grass in front of him.
"Thank you for being so kind to me. I have never made such a closer friend than you, and you've been a really good teacher too. I'm surprised you weren't born a God. You deserve it a lot more than me.
"Tae..." He consoled and reached over to hold the side of his arm.
"You're a much better person than you must think you are then. I've never met a God that has made as great of self progress as you have, besides just a few others. That's what makes you stronger than a lot of the other Gods."
Onew always knew the best things to say. It made Taemin feel that much more grateful that he met such a guy.
"But don't get too prideful of yourself, or Narcissus himself might have some competition."
Taemin laughed at the joke. Somehow the mood was better again, like it always was when he was around Onew.
---
The next day was bittersweet of course.
Taemin had left his room quickly seeing that he had slept in late and didn't want to have Onew wait any longer on him. He stopped when he encountered the human while coming down the stone spiral staircase.
"I'm sorry, I'm late. You didn't wake me up this morning."
Onew smiled at him.
"I wanted you to sleep in, Silly."
"But won't breakfast be late then?"
"No. It just got done and I was coming right up to wake you. Good morning, Sleepyhead."
"Oh."
Taemin felt disorganized. He had just woken up not two minutes ago.
"Here, let me walk you down. You don't seem awake yet."
Taemin smiled when Jinki took his hand and started leading him down the stairs.
During breakfast, all the Gods were telling Taemin how nice it was to see him, even though they didn't get to spend too much time with him. (It was tough work being a God while constantly taking care of their daily duties, and watching over the rest of the world, and making sure it didn't fall into complete chaos again like when Pandora's box was opened.)
Taemin felt loved. He really enjoyed all the other gods. They treated him with so much generosity and kindness. He didn't feel worthy of all of the attention and compliments.
They urged him to come back soon and the demi god told them he already planed on coming back when it was winter break. Persephone said she wouldn't be able to see Taemin then, for she was wed to the god of the Underworld and was obligated to visit him during the winter months.
After breakfast, Taemin and Onew were finishing up the dishes when Taemin said, "So I figured I'd mop the castle floor and you could relax in the chair today, and while you're brushing the Pegasus I'll sweep and stock their hay."
"That's very kind of you, but there will be no chores today."
"No chores?"
Onew smiled and shook his head.
"Not one. Your mom and I think you have done enough and have learned what you had to learn. Since this is your last day here, I figured I'd make it great."
The gray cloud that had been over Taemin of the constant thought of leaving soon had finally flew away. If anything, this would probably be the best day yet. He was excited to see how today would turn out.
It was nice to be by Onew's side, right next to him, as they walked along the beautiful mountain. The gods were out in their own parts of the mountain doing their separate duties for the day. They would smile and say hello to the two of them as they passed.
"What's the first thing you're going to do when you get back?" Onew asked.
"Miss this place."
The human smiled softly and patted him on the back
"None of my friends compare to you, Onew. I've never had a better friend that just gets me like you do. I wish you could come back with me. You're a human so you're the only one who could leave, right?"
Onew looked torn.
"I would if I could, Tae, but if I left this place, I don't think I could come back. It's easier for you to come here than for me to come to you."
Taemin didn't frown but he wished Onew would be able to come back with him. He didn't have to live with him, but to at least visit every once in a while would be nice.
They had grabbed a snack on their way, a few golden apples. Taemin wasn't too hungry so he didn't eat much of his even though they tasted really good. Taemin saw one of the Pegasus grazing in the field up ahead.
"Would it be ok to feed him the rest of this?"
Onew nodded. "It's one of their favorite treats."
They walked closer and the animal looked up and twitched his ear when the two came forward. The horse stomped his foot and snorted. How dare someone interrupt his lunch. His ears twitched again though when Taemin held out the apple and he immediately became less intimidating. The Pegasus walked forward  and sniffed at his hand before gulping down the apple in two bites. After finishing it he moved closer and smelled the boy's clothes, searching for more food and irritably snorted when he didn't find one and stomped his foot.
"Here." The human said from behind him and handed Taemin another apple, but this time he hid it.
"Do you think he'll go after it if I throw it in the sky?"
Onew shrugged. "I don't know. I've never done that, but he'll be pretty upset with you if you don't hand it over soon."
Taemin reared back his hand and "threw" it. The Pegasus jumped back a few steps but snorted when he realized the boy didn't actually toss it. He stomped his foot, daring Taemin to fool him again.
Taemin just laughed. "I thought you said they were intelligent." He joked.
This time he threw it hard and the apple flew clear across the sky.
The Pegasus bolted across the field and his wings began to flap rapidly. He moved as fast as lightning; it was crazy to see. The horse's wings lifted him off the ground as he jumped off the side of the cliff and disappeared while following the airborne fruit.
A few seconds later the white Pegasus came back into few with the golden apple in his mouth. He came flying back towards the two and his hooves shook the ground he landed on before prancing back to the human and nearly swallowing the apple whole. The horse actually neighed and swished his tail back and forth. Taemin was surprised the animal pushed his head into his chest. Taemin stumbled back into the human but Onew caught him in time so they both didn't fall over. The horse happily rubbed his neck against Taemin and whinnied softly. The demi God laughed, completely shocked at the behavior change and down the horse's strong neck.
Onew backed up and smiled at the two.
"Looks like you made a new companion. I'm jealous, Tae."
"All I did was give him an apple. I didn't expect to get a new best friend out of it."
Taemin couldn't keep up with the excitable animal brushing up against him. The two couldn't continue walking without the horse following.
The other Pegasus found them and came up to nudge his head into Onew's shoulder.
"Well, I guess we will be followed by these two if we go anywhere. Too bad we can't go for a ride somewhere with them. That would be so fun."
Taemin looked over when he saw the human move and suddenly he was sitting on top of the Pegasus and the animal was calm.
"What?! I thought you said they don't like to be ridden."
"Well, normally they don't and no one else does,  but they are in good moods today. This is probably your only chance to get on one. If you do, I'll take you to a really cool place that you reminded me of."
Taemin looked warily at the horse. Would he even allow him to get on?
He placed his hands softly on the animal's back and the animal raised his wings forward. He tried to put his arm over the horse's back and lift himself up but the horse was just too tall. As if the animal knew what the boy wanted, he kneeled down and Taemin was able to climb on. He felt wobbly and so nervous when the animal stood up straight and trotted next to the other one.
"Whoa!"
There was no saddle and no reins to hold onto. There was just a neck and a mane.
"Ready?"
"I'm going to die."
Onew laughed softly.
"Just hold on tight ok? Or you'll fall off. Don't worry about squeezing their necks too hard or tugging their mane. They are a lot stronger than you think."
Onew nudged the animal in the side with his heal and the animal stepped forward and unfolded his wings. In just a couple feet, he began to trot and pick up a faster pace because of the direction the human was leading him, they were going to go over the cliff.
"Oh god..." Taemin croaked out as his horse followed. He felt his whole body shiver with adrenaline and his stomach lifted when the animals leapt and went straight over the cliff. Thankfully it was only going up from there and they had no need to swoop downwards. Taemin clung to the animals neck, the sound of the Pegasus's huge wings flapping blocked out any other noise.
They wrapped around the mountain and went higher and higher. As they came around the other side of the castle, the horses swayed around the tall towers and soon all of the castle was below them. Anything above them was just taller but slimmer parts of the rest of the mountain. Onew lead the horses towards one in particular. They circled around it and Taemin saw a cliff attached to the side of it which looked like their only landing place. Taemin's heart stopped as they swooped down and finally landed.
The wind was very eerie all the way up here and it whistled at them. It was also a lot colder. When Onew slipped off the Pegasus, he looked back and tried not to laugh out loud at the sight of Taemin still clutched to his horse.
"Tae, we have landed. It's safe to get off now."
The demi God just shook his head.
"I dont think I can."
Onew came over and slowly pulled the boy's arms apart and tugged him over the side of the horse. Taemin was wobbly and didn't have his footing for a second before the human balanced him and didn't let him go until Taemin was standing again.
"That was a lot different than I imagined it would be."
Onew began walking and Taemin slowing learned how to walk again and followed him.
The smaller mountain led down into a dark cave which Taemin was a little nervous to go into, but if Onew was here, he'd be ok.
"It's too dark in here, Onew I can barely see where I'm going."
"And you call yourself a God? Where are your powers?" The human joked and reached back to grab the boy's arm.
"What is that supposed to mean?! Last time I checked I didn't have that power!"
Taemin's scolding got quieter when Onew's hand slid down the inside of his wrist and cupped his hand. It was hard to pout when the other holding his hand made him feel so warm and not confident what so ever.
They didn't have to walk long before there was light again and they came to a giant nest encompassed by the rest of the mountain around them, but with no roof above them. They could see the vast sky above.
"What are those?" Taemin asked pointing to gigantic... eggshells?"
"Dragon eggs."
"Dragons?! But those don't exist."
The human flashed a cunning smile back at him.
"You didn't believe gods existed either, now did you?"
Onew let go of his hand and walked closer with Taemin following him.
The broken eggshells were beautiful and shimmered with every color like the way white opal stones do.
"No dragon lives here now, so don't worry about any swooping down and eating us. This nest has been abandoned for a very long time.
The boy leaned down and picked up a smaller broken piece, dusted it off and handed it over to Taemin.
"For you to take home with you."
The blonde haired boy took it gratefully and continued to stare at all the colors reflecting in it. What a piece of treasure this was.
"Thank you."
"Did you want to head back?"
Taemin was about to say sure, when he suddenly remembered the only way to get back.
Onew laughed at his glum expression and patted Taemin's back as he nudged him on his way back out.
"Don't worry it will all be over soon."
"But I'm going to die! I'll fall off and then i'll die."
Onew sighed playfully and helped Taemin up onto the horse while it leaned down.
"Ok, ok. I guess there is only one way to make sure you won't fall off."
Taemin finally understood what he meant when the boy got on his horse as well and pulled back on his mane to get the horse to back up a few feet, just to have a little room to get a head start before he jumped off. The Pegasus spread open its wings.
"They say if you close your eyes , it's less scary, but I disagree. I think not knowing what is happening is scarier."
"Onew." He whispered. His voice suddenly gone and his heart started racing in his chest. "Wait, I'm not ready for this." His hands held the boy's sides. "Oh, god no. Wait. I'll live up here for the rest of my life. Please don't. I don't want to die."
Onew looked back and coyly smirked at the demi god.
"Better hold on tighter than that."
"Wait, Onew!"
He nudged the sides of the Pegasus who jumped forward and began flapping it's wings.
Taemin wrapped his arms around him and held on for dear life. He didn't care if Onew could breath or not.
The horse leapt and Taemin flinched and hid his face into the other's back, trying desperately to ignore the twisting feeling in his stomach. The wind rushed passed them as they dove down and circled back around the mountains. Taemin kept repeating in his head that he was going to die and was thoroughly convinced he was. He would come back and haunt Onew as a ghost for the rest of his life when he did.
They finally landed and the horse ran fast on the ground before slowing down and stopping.
Taemin breathed heavy into his back and didn't loosen the grip around his chest.
The human laughed.
"It's ok. You're alive. You can get down now if you want."
Taemin just shook his head. His heart wasn't going to calm down any time soon.
"Hope you're not crying back there." Onew teased patting the tense hands around him.
"I hate you so much."
---
Onew took him into the library to calm down and rest after such a near death experience. Onew even came up and handed him a tissue, which Taemin grumbled at and threw back in his face.
"You can't hate me forever. I'm your best friend. Bet I can make you smile again."
The demi God just crossed his arms and looked over at the fireplace.
Onew walked to a different side of the room and finally came back with a book in his hands. Taemin only looked over when it was handed to him. He took the dark green book and opened it up to flip through the pages. It was hand written, with sharp black ink. It wasn't old at all like most of the other books were.
"What's this?" Taemin asked curiously.
"I know you might not care for reading much but I'd like you to take this with you. It's a poetry book."
"Oh."
"I wrote it."
Taemin looked up curiously. "You did?"
"Yes. I thought it would remind you of me when your gone. I can't have you forgetting about me."
Taemin laughed.
"I could never forget you, Onew."
After a moment, the human's voice changed to a more serious tone.
"Tae, there's something on your face."
The boy looked up and reached up to feel his cheeks and forehead.
"What?"
Onew leaned in really close while squinting his eyes, so close that Taemin stopped breathing.
"It's right... there." He said, poking the boy's bottom lip. "It's a smile."
Taemin just stared at him for a moment before shoving the book back in the humans face and pushing him away.
"Keep your stupid book! I hate poetry!"
Onew only laughed and walked away. He had gotten his victory. That was enough for him.
---
Dinner time came and every one sat down together to eat. The atmosphere was so nice and warming. Everyone was like family here and talked about their days and accomplishments, and anything new they had recently found out or discovered. Taemin felt content just sitting and listening to the bustling conversations, even though sometimes when things got too loud it was hard to focus on just one. Apparently Onew felt the same because he ate in silence too. Taemin looked over at him and they smiled at each other before going back to eating. Dinners like this would surely be missed.
After dinner, the sun had disappeared and the two went out on a walk. The atmosphere was so different out here. It was quiet with only the soft sound of waves and the wind every once in a while and it was a lot darker than the bright kitchen, but it was all just as nice, if not better since he was out here with only his best friend to keep him company.
They walked in a peaceful silence. Not talking didn't make things awkward at all. If anything it made their time together even more special. They could walk in silence and still feel so comfortably at peace with each other.
The big moon in the sky highlighted the stone benches and softly glowed on the grass, but Taemin thought it was most beautiful caressing Onew's features.
Onew sat down on one of the stone benches and Taemin followed sitting down next to him.
Onew looked troubled so Taemin touched his arm and asked softly, "Onew, are you ok?"
The human glanced over at him.
"I have to be honest with you, because I haven't been completely truthful to you this whole time."
Taemin looked shocked.
"Oh."
"I just don't want you to hate me after I tell you."
Taemin thought he knew and brought his hands back to himself. He visibly started caving in on himself.
"Do you not really like me? Are you not actually my friend? Is that it?"
"No, Tae. It has nothing to do with that. It's about me."
Taemin looked up curiously. He honestly had no idea.
"What have you been lying to me about then?"
Onew looked torn again like he didn't know how to put the words together.
"It would be easier if I just showed you."
"...ok."
Onew turned to face the concerned blue eyed boy and took a breath.
Taemin watched him bring a hand to his head and began tousling his hair back and forth. The human closed his eyes too and cutely scrunched up his nose and lips.
Taemin thought he saw... no way.
His eyes widened while watching the brown hair began lifting to a lighter color. He had to blink several times to make sure he was seeing this correctly.
Taemin was distracted by his hair but then Onew opened an eye and a crystal blue iris was staring back at him and pierced through his heart. The boy scratched his fingers down through his hair and the last of the dark brown had faded into such a bright blonde that Taemin wondered if it was even lighter than his. The boy stopped fixing his hair and his other eye opened to watch for Taemin's reaction, but all he did was sit still and stare.
"Tae... say something please."
He finally got back his words after trying a few times.
"Are you... a God?"
"Yes. Ever since I was born."
Taemin couldn't stop staring. He didn't know how Onew did it, but he looked even more beautiful as a God. He stood out a lot more and was truly captivating. He had to remind himself how to breath again.
"I'm sorry for keeping this from you. I really hate lying to people."
Taemin shook his head. "It's ok. I'm not mad. I just can't believe you're actually a God, and you cleaned and cooked and acted like a servant for a whole week. That must have been so weird for you."
"Very."
Onew smiled and the demi God's chest compressed even harder.
Ow, Ow, Ow.
"So... why did you go through all the trouble?"
The God's eyebrows lifted a little too confidently for Taemin's heart too take. He just needed to stop existing and maybe Taemin could breath again.
"It was all for you. Your mother warned me about your charm, but there was no way I could fall in your trap, Taemin, because I'm  a God too. You can't trick me. You had to learn on your own. You had to learn that you can't charm other people into getting what you want. You can just be yourself and if you're lucky, what you want just might come crawling to you by itself."
Taemin grinned.
"And what is it that I want?"
The God mimicked Taemin's coy smile and his eyes hooded while slowly leaning in closer.
"Well, me of course." He whispered softly to the boy's lips savoring being this close to Taemin, staring into his just as droopy eyes and feeling his soft breath on his lips, before leaning in closer and pushing their lips together.
Both had closed their eyes and had melted into the kiss that made their lips feel on fire. It was pure, so pure, only the softest touch of lips together, but it felt more than perfect, so perfect, they didn't want it to end. Onew lifted his hand and placed it on the boy's soft cheek and gently pulled his face closer into his.
Once pulled apart, they could only stare at each other and try to catch their breath. They didn't need to say anything. Everything they had wanted to know was said in the kiss.
"Onew..." The boy whispered, breath taken away by the most beautiful God by far. This moment was almost too good to be true, to have someone like Onew show how much he cared for him.
The God grinned.
"There is one more thing."
Taemin looked at him curiously.
"And what is that?"
"My name isn't actually Onew. It's Jinki."
"Jinki." He said playing the sound over in his head and liking it. "Jinki, yes. Jinki suits you a lot better." Taemin laughed. "You never fail to surprise me with something."
---
During his final morning here, Taemin was slow to pack his stuff. He was sad yes, but also quite distracted from yesterday and just all in all felt happy with what a wonderful week he had. This place felt like a second home to him and he couldn't wait to come back.
He heard two knocks on his door which was already opened and looked over to see Jinki standing in the doorway.
"Tae, your dad's here."
The demi God threw his bag around his back and walked with Onew out of the room and slyly linked their hands together.
They met Aphrodite standing by the carriage with the two Pegasus attached to it. She smiled at the two and opened the door for them. A lot of other gods waved and wished him well. Taemin waved goodbye too, feeling like he was leaving his second family. The carriage carried the three down the mountain. Jinki saw the distressed look on Taemin's face and held his hand trying to comfort the boy. He didn't think he would ever get over flying in the air like that.
Once they landed, Taemin could breath again and all of them got out. Taemin ran up to his dad who had just stepped out of the car and gave him a big hug.
"Dad, I missed you!"
"I missed you too, Tae. How was it?"
"It was great! I love it here. I'm coming back on winter break for sure."
"Alrighty then. That's fine with me." He smiled back at his excitable son.
Taemin turned around and raced in to hug his mother.
"Bye, Mom. I love you. Cant wait to see you next time."
"I love you too." She said lovingly and squeezed him back just as hard.
Taemin let go and moved to hug Jinki who was surprised he had gotten a goodbye hug too.
"Bye, Jinki. I'll miss you."
Jinki smiled feeling Taemin hug him tighter than when they were on the Pegasus together.
"I'll miss you too, Taemin."
The demi God waved at them while the car drove away. Jinki smiled when he saw Taemin wave a book at him from the car as well. He had taken it with him after all.
It was hard saying goodbye, but soon enough Taemin would be back and happier than ever to see them once again.​