Fifth

Your changes ...

It was saturday afternoon and the much awaited text from JB soon arrives in your phone. He had cleverly made an appointment for one of the lesser well known restaurant in the back alleys of Hongdae, a place only those who really look would find. You yourself walked in circles a few times before spotting it hidden deep behind other large buildings within the main street.

You spot JB pacing back and forth outside the place in his usual black attire, cap and mask. He thoughtlessly kicked at the small rock near his feet to distract himself from the time.

“Hey!” you exclaim, jogging over to him, “Sorry I’m late, I was a bit lost”

He looks up almost immediately at your voice, finally pulling the mask off his face. “Hey, i just came too” He lied, having already arrived 10 minutes earlier. He gestures you inside before letting one of the waitresses bring you both to your table at the very corner of the restaurant.

“This place looks amazing” you sat down as you gaze at the design while pulling the heavy jacket you were wearing off your body.

“My friend from highschool owns it” JB smiles, “He said he made it especially for idols so dispatch doesn’t get in the way” he jokes, emphasising how difficult it is to find.

You laugh, “He makes it hard even for google to find” you add.

 

After two hours of talking and eating, you both found yourself in JB’s car, JB having offered to drop you off since it had started raining. Within no time he made his way to your apartment and eventually offered to walk you all the way to your place.

“Thanks for today” you turn to him as you reach the front of your door

“No problem” He smiles, “I’ll be seeing you for a lot more now since you’re placed in the styling team” he adds,

“How did you find out? I thought senior only told me” you flash him a confused look

“.....uhh…” JB suddenly begins to nervously rub the back of his neck, not wanting to let you know that he had been asking about you to the other staffs. “...Lucky guess..?” he shrugs, trying to play it off before greeting you goodbye to avoid anymore questions.

 

By the next week you were so busy managing Got7 and all the new staff that had joined the team, you found even small talk to be too draining. JB had occasionally  popped up from the rest of the team to see how you were going, sometimes even offering his drink during work when he himself was tired, but he had also been restrained by his own busy schedule that any conversation was kept at a minimal. The second week of promotions was no different, as the usual shows, music events and interviews were recorded, by the third week of it you found yourself slouched over your desk in the office on a sunday night, with no energy to even travel home. There had been trouble with getting the stage outfits for one of the upcoming shows, forcing you and the rest of the team to redesign all 7 outfits.

 

The next morning you woke up from your all-nighter in the office to find a coffee and sandwich sitting on your table with the usual note stuck to it, this whole routine soon becoming a tradition for you and JB after that day.

 

Stop sleeping at the office so much…-_-.  - JB

 

The note as always was a welcomed surprise, never failing to take your mind off the stress of your job, knowing there was only one week left before everything ends and everyone can eventually rest again. You sigh tiredly as you push yourself up from the table after finishing the sandwich, grabbing your belongings and heading out of the office towards the elevator.

 

“Why did you come back?!” you suddenly hear a frustrated yell from inside the meeting room not far from where the elevator stood.

“I needed time to sort myself out... but I’m here now...”, this time an unfamiliar female’s voice echoed through the hallway.

Do they not know that room’s not sound proof? You thought to yourself, as you slowly change your speed-walking to tiptoes as you make your way towards your destination, not wanting to disturb the argument.

“What about me? You couldn’t even pick up my calls?! Did i mean that little to you?” The male’s voice was raspy, harsh and unforgiving. It was too familiar for comfort as your tiptoes gradually came to a complete halt.

“JB you know that's not why i did what i did” The girl started to cry and your chest immediately began to tighten. “Anna knows I’m back, I don’t think i can talk to you today...I’ll see you tomorrow..” She adds, before opening the door to leave. The girl on the other side finally revealing herself. She was pretty and tall with thick black hair and a delicate face. You couldn’t help but compare yourself to her, already knowing full well she was the Haya that JB had so desperately been waiting on. She gave you a quick look before dashing for the elevator down the hallway, hiding her tears with her head held down and her hands covering . JB soon followed, revealing himself from behind the walls, his hand tightened on his hip with frustration as you watch him scoff to himself at the whole situation.

 

You wanted to move, to hide and get away from the meeting room door but your body was frozen, locked in place, shocked at how sudden reality came crashing down on you. He had been so good to you these past few weeks, you had accidently gotten lost in all the happiness. You had mistaken his kindness for more than just friendship causing this whole situation to become a complete slap in the face.

You watch as JB raises his head from the ground to find you timidly standing still in front of him, your eyes unable to hide the disappointment.

“....Hari…” he lets out, suddenly unsure of what to do. His stiff body soon loosened, the anger from his argument with Haya dissolving into regret as he looks back at you, lost.

You try to force a smile on your face, raising your hand to greet him only to find yourself more hurt than you should be. You begin to step back, causing JB to step closer towards you to fill the gap you were creating.

“I really had no idea…” JB tries to control the situation, clearly aware of your feelings.

“It doesn’t matter” You muster up enough courage to say, “I’ll see you for the fitting later” You add before rushing away from him and towards the open elevator waiting for you.

 

You feigned sickness before the fitting could occur, knowing you couldn’t face him yet. Anna had  you replaced by one of the juniors instead seeing that it wasn’t a major job. You apologized to her and quickly went home to lock yourself in your bedroom, still unsure of why you were being so affected by this whole ordeal.

 

Back at the staffroom, JB found himself scanning the room for you only to be met with disappointment.

“Where’s Hari?” He walks over to one of the seniors on site

“She’s sick, I think Anna is letting her have this last promotional week off” the senior replies as he goes about with his business

JB thanks the man, immediately pulling out his phone from his pocket to contact you only to have Anna suddenly appear and take it from him.

“She told me she didn’t want to be contacted” Anna explains

“But i need to talk to her” JB retaliates, reaching out to grab the phone back from her hand

“She’s worked hard the last few weeks in my place, you should try to understand her if she says she doesn’t want to be contacted” Anna disagrees, determined to stop him.

“Right~” JB reluctantly nods his head, backing down from any fight that was about to occur, knowing there was no use fighting with someone like Anna. “By the way…” He suddenly rings back up remembering the argument from this morning, “What do you know about Haya coming back?”. This time his tone was confrontational.

“That?” she looks up, a little flustered by the topic, “She contacted me and i arranged her the job back, she is my friend after all”

“And you planned on keeping this a secret?” JB scoffs

“I was going to tell you during our holiday after promotions but ….I guess she must’ve told you” Anna puts the pieces together.

“What about Hari? She was Haya’s replacement...” he asks, trying to wrap his head around everything

“Her contract with us ends, I told her before she left today….”Anna pauses as she monitors JB’s reaction, “......She’ll be leaving us right after the holiday”

 

JB’s jaw tightens at her words, his fist balling up inside his jean pocket, frustrated at how hurt you must be. Thrown away after everything you’ve done for him and the team.