Chapter 1

Enigma
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hello, is this Luhan?” A voice was heard right after Luhan picked up the call. He furrowed his brows as he didn’t recognize the voice.

Unsure, he answered, “Yes. Who is speaking?”

“I’m someone who can make you rich.”

What kind of answer was that? He thought. “I’m sorry but I’m not inter –“

 “It’s ten millions won per month.” The voice cut him off. Luhan’s eyes widened in surprise. 1o million won? What could the job possibly be?

“Don’t worry, I’s not a dirty job.” The man laughed from the other line. For a second, Luhan thought that the man was such a maniac and he almost hang up the call if it wasn’t for the man, “Interested?”

Luhan felt his patience was being tested. He felt like he was being played by an old man and it pissed him off. “Not at all.” Luhan answered confidently.

“Are you sure you don’t want to hear the details first?” The man asked.

“Yes.” Luhan answered firmly.

“If you ever change your mind, you can contact this number. You have a week to think of this offer.” The man said and Luhan didn’t waste a second to hang up the call. What the heck was that?

For a second, he regretted for not hearing the details but then his logic knocked him up. Who in the right mind would pay a high school guy like him 10 million won? To rethink of it, Luhan felt even more upset that he picked up that call from an unknown number.

“What are you so upset about?” A familiar voice whispered beside him and Luhan smiled when he saw the person. Jung Hana –His girlfriend was smiling brightly at him.

Luhan shrugged and laughed as he caressed her hair gently, “Just a random call from a crazy old man.”

“A random call?” She asked as if she didn’t believe him.

“Yeah, but don’t worry about it. Let’s go!” He said as he grabbed her hand and they both headed to the cafeteria.

“The result of the mid is up!” Chanyeol announced throughout the entire cafeteria and all students immediately forgot that they were having their lunch. All of them immediately got up and ran to see their grades. Only Luhan and his gang were left there. Hana excused herself to see her grade.

“You aren’t curious of your grade?” Chanyeol asked the gang.

“Nah I don’t really care of my grade, you know that.” Baekhyun said while eating a spoon of his food.

“Me either.” Xiu Min was busily eating. Yeah, all he cared for was how to maintain his chubby cheek. He always said that it was his precious asset.

“Well –I know that I probably get around the bottom five again.” Tao emphasized the word ‘again’. Yes, his grade was always 196th to 199th. It was not that he was upset of the fact though. Besides, all he cared for was his martial arts skill.

“Me too.” Chen, Jongin, and Lay said in unison. The three of them were more interested in music and dancing.

“I am always number three.” Kyungsoo shrugged.

“I don’t think I can bear to see my grade.” Suho said and the table laughed. The last time he checked his grade, he felt so down. Suho was quite dramatic when it came to grades. It was not that he studied all day all night but he was the typical that wanted to get things perfect without even trying. How the heck was it going to happen?

“Well –I can never beat this genius so I must be at the second place.” Kris pointed Luhan and Luhan just laughed.

“It’s getting boring to always place first but at least I get scholarship thanks to that grade.” He said after done laughing.

“How about you, Chanyeol? Did you see yours?” Baekhyun asked. Baekhyun and Chanyeol were couple since two months ago. Of course, it was a secret that only eleven of them knew.

“I did. I had to since my dad would ask.” Chanyeol replied sadly.

“How bad was it?” Chen asked without even feeling sympathy.

“196th! That is quite embarrassing!” Chanyeol said.

“Then, do you see mine? What place I am? 197th? 198th?” Chen asked and Chanyeol shook his head.

“I am 199th?” Chen asked in an unbelievable tone and Chanyeol grinned while nodding enthusiastically.

“Really? Woah! It’s great! That means I am either 197th or 198th!” Tao cheered happily and Chen threw him a glare. Lay patted Chen but he sure was holding his laugh.

“Tao, this time, you are not.” Chanyeol said.

“I am not? How is that even possible? I am 195th?” Tao asked.

“No. You are officially the last this time. 200th. Congratulations!” Chanyeol grinned widely and Tao felt like his world collapsed right in front of his eyes. He was okay to get 198th or 199th but not 200th. Why? Because that place belonged to the filthy rich bastard in their school –Oh Sehun.

“Oh Sehun! That bastard! I should crush him into pieces then I combine it with potatoes and then I’ll send them to Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo will make a nice dish with it!” Tao stated furiously. He still couldn’t believe that he lost from Oh Sehun. Oh Sehun and hewere never really in a good term.

“What place is Oh Sehun now?” Kyungsoo asked curiously. It was quite surprising news. Oh Sehun had always placed last since elementary school.

“197th.” Chanyeol said and Lay frowned.

“This is unacceptable!” Lay said.

“We have to study! That Oh Sehun must study for getting that grade! We can win against him if we study even for just a little. Aren’t we born smarter?” Chen slammed the table out of the blue and provoked.

Tao was easily provoked so he too stood up and declared, “Of course! Let’s see the final! We will definitely win against him!”

“Luhan, Kris, and Kyungsoo, you guys really need to help us this time! I’ll personally take a little of my practice time to study.” Lay said.

“Okay! I’m glad you guys finally have motivation to study.” Kyungsoo clapped his hands. He was the most diligent one amongst all of them.

“I’ll try to be patient with your slow brains.” Kris stated arrogantly and earned a smack from Tao.

Then, the conversation continued but suddenly Eunjung –Hana’s best friend ran to their table. She arranged her breath first before speaking, “Hana is fainted! She is now on the way to the hospital!”

Luhan felt his heart dropped and he immediately stood up from his seat, “What? How?”

“We were looking at our grades when she suddenly said that she couldn’t breathe. I managed to get her out of the crowd but then she passed out. You know about her condition, right?” Eunjung explained and Luhan nodded. Of course he knew. Hana had a heart defect.

Luhan couldn’t think straight for the rest of the class. Right after the bell ringing, he packed his bag immediately and left for the hospital. He saw Hana was lying unconsciously in the ICU. He was not permitted to come inside so he waited outside. When he was waiting, he suddenly saw Hana’s father was talking with the doctor. He was about to call him but he saw them were having serious conversation. Hence, he decided to eavesdrop a little.

“Is it the only way?” Mr. Jung asked the doctor.

“Yes. She needs to get the operation as soon as possible. I’m afraid she won’t survive if this happens again.” The doctor said and Luhan swore he felt like he couldn’t breathe for a while. The doctor left and Mr. Jung fell on his knees.

“Where would I get the money from?” He mumbled. Hana didn’t come from a rich fami

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter