Final

Bodyguard

Seunghyun got his job the same way anyone else did when they joined the mob—you do some small jobs, kill a few guys, work your way up, impressing the Don every step of the way. When the Don finally liked Seunghyun enough, he appointed him to an important job. That job was none other than protecting the Don’s only son, Jiyong, his pride and joy. Seunghyun thought he had finally scored, but he was very, very wrong.

The Don’s son was a spoiled brat, using Seunghyun more as a personal slave, assistant, as opposed to a bodyguard. Seunghyun just held his tongue and tried to serve out his time as was required, hoping he’d keep moving up. He just had to deal with being Jiyong’s bag holder for the time being.

But even then, Seunghyun couldn’t have predicted what had happened to him after becoming Jiyong’s bodyguard.

 

Seunghyun pressed open the door to Jiyong’s bedroom, numerous bags and boxes on his arm. He went over to the loveseat just inside and dropped everything onto it unceremoniously.

“Careful, Seunghyun. Those bags are worth more than your yearly paycheck,” Jiyong said as he came in, only carrying his telephone.

Seunghyun glanced at him with a frown. Jiyong shot him a playful smirk and pulled cigarettes from his shirt pocket. He put it between his lips and mussed his short dark hair.

“I’m going out for a smoke. Call Daesung and tell him I want my lunch up here in an hour,” he said, waltzing toward the balcony’s door.

Seunghyun didn’t respond, merely picking up his cellphone to do as he’d been asked. He dialed the Kwon family’s personal cook, Kang Daesung, who also happened to be one of Seunghyun’s close friends. They had entered the family at the same time and both had worked up to different positions, but Seunghyun had always been thankful to have one friend who was with him.

“Daesung, he wants his lunch in his room in an hour.”

“Not even a hello? Jiyong always makes you so grumpy,” Daesung said with a laugh. “I’ll send it up as requested.”

“Thanks.”

Seunghyun hung up and went out onto the balcony. Jiyong was leaned against the rail, smoking as he stared at the city’s skyline. He glanced at Seunghyun over his shoulder and smirked.

“Want a smoke?” he asked.

Seunghyun nodded. Jiyong held out a cigarette, which he took. He waited for the lighter, but Jiyong didn’t offer one. The younger man only smirked at him, a cigarette wedged between his lips. Seunghyun realized what he wanted and rolled his eyes before leaning forward. The unlit cigarette sparked to life as it pressed against the lit end of Jiyong’s own. Jiyong smiled at him, then pulled away.

Seunghyun on the cigarette, taking in a large amount of nicotine. He could feel as his body relaxed, nicotine making his thrumming veins calm. He exhaled with his eyes closed, a deep sigh falling from his lips with the billowing smoke. Leaning forward, he bracketed his arms on the edge of balcony’s rail and looked out over the city.

“Did you call Daesung?” Jiyong asked.

“Yes.”

“So,” Jiyong looked down at his watch, “We have fifty-two minutes until he arrives with my lunch.”

Seunghyun looked over at him in confusion. Jiyong had a -eating grin on his face, eyes alight with mischief and Seunghyun hated that expression, because it meant Jiyong was up to no good.

Jiyong finished his cigarette, putting it out in the ashtray on the balcony’s table. He walked back into his room quietly. Seunghyun ignored him, continuing to down his own cigarette.

“Ahem,” Jiyong called with a clearing of his throat.

Seunghyun knew what he wanted, but it didn’t mean he wanted to serve him. Seunghyun hated his job. So, he told himself at least. He put out his cigarette and walked into the bedroom. Jiyong was laying on his bed, his feet just dangling off the edge. He’d kicked off his shoes, leaving him in socks. Jiyong glanced up at him, eyes drifting away from his watch.

“Forty-eight minutes,” he said.

He snapped lightly at Seunghyun, which made him glare, but Jiyong only smiled. He lifted one of his feet up and wiggled his toes expectantly. Seunghyun rolled his eyes but approached, taking hold of his ankle. He pulled Jiyong’s sock off and tossed it to the floor. He held Jiyong’s ankle gently, caressing it, and Jiyong smirked even more. Seunghyun lowered the foot and picked up the other to repeat the process. Jiyong swung his free leg up and hooked it over Seunghyun’s shoulder. Seunghyun bent over as Jiyong swung his other leg up over his shoulder.

“Come ‘ere.”

Seunghyun tried to resist, but Jiyong linked his ankles and tugged him down. He curled his fingers in the taller man’s shirt and then glanced at his watch.

“Forty-two minutes. Chop, chop.”

Seunghyun rolled his eyes, but let himself give in. He dropped down on top of Jiyong, bending him in half and kissing him. Jiyong bit down on Seunghyun’s lower lip excitedly. As their mouths molded together, they tugged one another’s clothing off.

 

The door was knocked on forty-two minutes later. Jiyong rolled away from Seunghyun, hair a mess. Seunghyun got up, hopping into his jeans quickly. He slid his button up on, fastening a few of the buttons wrong. Another knock sounded at the door and Seunghyun pulled it open to find Daesung with a tray. Daesung gave him a look and Seunghyun said nothing, taking the tray from him. He slammed the door and turned around to look at Jiyong, who was propped up against the headboard with a cigarette between his lips.

“Lunch is here.”

Jiyong smiled at him, putting his cigarette between his fingers. He looked messy, but satisfied.

“Feed me,” he commanded.

Seunghyun gave him a glare, but Jiyong kept smiling.

“I’ll do that thing you like,” Jiyong added, crooking his pinky at him.

Seunghyun blushed a bit and set the tray beside Jiyong’s bed. Jiyong put out his cigarette and reached out to pull Seunghyun’s shirt off again, popping a button off. He snickered as Seunghyun rolled his eyes, lifting a dish to him.

“I like it when you show some skin,” Jiyong said, running his hand up Seunghyun’s arm before taking the food from him.

Jiyong ate, staring at Seunghyun, who sat on the edge of the bed quietly. Once Jiyong had finished with his food, he flopped back down into his sheets. He looked at Seunghyun.

“Want me to do that thing?”

“No!” Seunghyun exclaimed.

“Party pooper…”

Jiyong rolled away, sheets falling away to reveal his backside. Seunghyun took in the pale expanse of his flesh. It was the only section of his lithe body unmarred by ink. Seunghyun wondered if the Don knew how much ink covered his son’s body. But Seunghyun found his untainted back incredibly alluring, though it was second to the tattoo which graced the back of his neck, which Seunghyun had taken to on when they did their activities. Jiyong glanced back at him seductively and Seunghyun felt like he couldn’t breathe for a second.

Jiyong settled down comfortably on his side, curling the sheets around himself. Seunghyun looked at him before laying down on the bed. Jiyong smirked and mussed his hair before scooting over to cuddle up to Seunghyun’s side.

“So much for protecting you…” he griped.

Jiyong slid a smooth hand across Seunghyun’s chest, brushing a dusky . “You’re supposed to take care of me. And you take real good care of me.” He snickered.

“If your father knew about this…”

“Well, daddy won’t know unless you say something. I’m not gonna turn my bodyguard in.”

Jiyong attached his lips to Seunghyun’s neck, hand tight around his ribcage as he . Seunghyun tilted his head away with a groan. The door was knocked on again. The two of them froze, turning to look at the door.

“Jiyong,” called the Don’s voice.

Jiyong’s eyes widened. “.”

Seunghyun rolled out of bed quickly, grabbing his shirt. He put it on and buttoned it up. Jiyong whined, looking for his clothes. Seunghyun tossed him his shirt and boxers, which Jiyong pulled on. He tried to fix his hair quickly as he snapped at Seunghyun. The bodyguard carded back his hair before opening the door and the Don appeared, looking at him with accusatory eyes.

Seunghyun bowed and stepped aside. He prayed the room’s scent had cleared up. At least the door to the balcony had been left open. Jiyong had lit a cigarette as he waited, smiling at his father.

“Hi, papa,” he said with a smile.

Seunghyun meanwhile lit candles in the room as the Don approached the bed. Jiyong smiled at him, looking little and docile, everything Seunghyun knew he was not.

“What are you still doing in bed?”

“Resting, papa. I went shopping earlier and it made me so tired, I decided to come home and lay down. I can get up if you need me to.”

“I came to check on you before I go to my meeting. It’s very important, so wish me luck.”

“You know I’m always rooting for you,” Jiyong said sweetly.

Seunghyun rolled his eyes and he swore he saw the Don’s eyes flicker to him. He squared his shoulders and drew his face into a blank expression. Jiyong may have been a liar, but if the Don thought you were mocking his son, you wouldn’t be doing well for much longer. Seunghyun wasn’t going to let all of his hard work go to waste.

“Seunghyun, you take good care of my baby boy, you hear?” the Don said to him then.

Seunghyun nodded solemnly. “Yes, sir. I would sacrifice my life.”

Jiyong smiled at him from the bed, blowing smoke out of his mouth. The Don turned his attention back to Jiyong then.

“After the meeting, I want to talk to you. Don’t go out.”

“Okay.”

The Don left the room and once the door clicked shut, both Jiyong and Seunghyun released a breath of relief.

“That was too close,” Seunghyun said.

“It was worth it,” Jiyong replied, leaning back against the headboard.

His cigarette was almost gone and he pressed the stub into the ash tray. He smiled up at Seunghyun. Seunghyun let out a sigh and shook his head at him.

He hated his job. He was tired of being Jiyong’s personal play thing.

 

Seunghyun waited outside of the Don’s office. The meeting had ended sometime earlier and Jiyong had gone to meet him as he’d requested. Afterwards, the Don had asked Seunghyun to come speak to him as well. Seunghyun had never truly been alone with the Don in all the time that he had been working in the mob. He took a deep breath as he paced. Jiyong had gone back inside only a few minutes before.

Seunghyun began to worry. It’s what he did best if he wanted to be honest. What if the Don had found out he and Jiyong had been hooking up? It wasn’t like Seunghyun had had a choice. Jiyong had threatened to have him replaced if he didn’t bend to his will and Seunghyun hadn’t been willing to let that happen. He wasn’t going to admit he liked it. He didn’t like being manipulated by a punk that was younger than him. But if the Don asked, if that’s what it was all about, he would believe Jiyong over Seunghyun. It was all over. All of the shake downs and blood would end up being for nothing.

The door to the office opened and Jiyong exited. His arms were crossed over his chest and he stormed away without casting a glance at Seunghyun. Seunghyun gulped, wondering what the attitude was for. He turned his head back towards the door as the Consigliere, Dong Youngbae, came out.

Youngbae was the youngest Consigliere ever, since he was Jiyong’s age and his childhood friend. He was younger than Seunghyun, which really grated on his nerves, because he was of nearly the highest rank in the mob.

“The Don will see you now,” Youngbae said coolly.

Seunghyun walked into the office, smoothing down his tucked in shirt. He made sure all his buttons were done up, having traded out the shirt Jiyong had ruined earlier for a new one. The Don sat at his desk, plume of smoke filtering from the ashtray where the of a cigarette sat. Youngbae proceeded past him and stood near the desk, folding his hands in front of his waist properly. Seunghyun came to stand in front of the desk and bowed at a ninety-degree angle, trying not to appear nervous.

“Seunghyun, thank you for coming.”

Seunghyun stood and squared his shoulders once more, standing resolute. He was in the dark of what they were to discuss. He wouldn’t admit he was scared.

“How long have you been working for me, Choi Seunghyun?”

“Almost six years now, sir,” Seunghyun said.

“How long have you been guarding my son?”

“A little over two years now.”

The Don hadn’t looked up at Seunghyun yet, his eyes on the papers on his desk. He shut a folder and looked up at Seunghyun, which made Seunghyun bristle, but forced himself to remain still.

“You’ve done a fine job for us in the past six years. Youngbae and I have been looking over your track record. What is your goal in our business, Seunghyun?” the Don asked.

“To make money, sir. Isn’t that everyone’s goal?”

Seunghyun cracked a smile, but it quickly faded as the Don glanced over at Youngbae. Youngbae’s face held an expression of skepticism, as if he couldn’t believe Seunghyun had just cracked a joke. Seunghyun cleared his throat and folded his hands behind his back. The Don let out a soft snort then.

“We’ve had some openings come up within Tablo’s operation. Are you handy with a gun?”

“More than handy, sir. I’m a pretty damn good shot, if I do say so myself.”

The Don laughed again and nodded, eyes returning to the papers on the desk. “Well, if you are up for it, you’re welcome to take the position there. I think you can work as an overseer for the operation. You’ll be working directly with Tablo. What do you think?”

Seunghyun was in disbelief. He was getting a promotion. The Don was offering him a position in one of their main operations and he wasn’t doing grunt work; he was going to be in charge. Well, nearly in charge, but the fine details weren’t as important as the whole. He couldn’t believe it. He’d spent two years serving snot-nosed Jiyong and it had finally paid off.

“I would be delighted to accept the position, sir. Thank you for the opportunity.”

“Glad to hear it. Jiyong was less than thrilled about the news, but not to worry, I already have your replacement. You can shift over to Tablo’s team in three days’ time. Youngbae will fill you in on the specific information.”

Seunghyun was puzzled by the statement. Did Jiyong really care about him that much? Or was he just that good of a play thing? He brushed the thought away. It didn’t matter. Jiyong needed to be his last concern. He wanted to move up and that had been what it took.

“Thank you, sir,” Seunghyun said, realizing he’d been quiet too long.

He bowed deeply once more.

“You’ll be in charge of Jiyong until your replacement arrives. Don’t slip up now. You may go.”

Seunghyun stood to his full height and saw Youngbae pass him to pull open the door. He gave another half bow and then exited the office. Youngbae looked at him.

“I’ll fill you in on your assignment in a day or two.”

Seunghyun nodded and watched as Youngbae shut the door in his face. He walked a few feet from the door, then stopped and threw his fist into the air in triumph.

 

When he entered Jiyong’s room, he was greeted by the scene of a trashed bedroom. Alarmed, he withdrew his gun from the holster on his belt. He proceeded carefully into the room, pistol half raised in caution. When he reached the balcony door, he turned carefully to see through the fluttering curtains. Jiyong was leaned against the rail, smoking, and Seunghyun lowered his gun. Placing it back in the holster, he went out onto the balcony.

“You scared the out of me. What the ?” he said.

Jiyong turned a glowering look on him and blew out smoke. He turned his head back towards the city without a word. Seunghyun raised an eyebrow.

“What’s got you in a mood?” he asked.

“As if you ing care.”

He was surprised by the tone. Jiyong had a mouth, but it was always snarky and teasing, not angry when directed at Seunghyun. The bite in his words was palpable and it was the first time Seunghyun had been the target of Jiyong’s anger. Before Seunghyun could ask what that was supposed to mean, Jiyong spoke again.

“I bet you’re so ing happy you’re getting away from me, eh? Can’t wait until you can run out and be free of me, right?”

“I never said—”

“Save it. I don’t need you to tell me,” Jiyong said, spinning around to face him. “You never had to.”

He proceeded past him, kicking a stray vase that had been thrown to the floor earlier, the glass cracking more from the hit. Seunghyun said nothing. He had royally ed something up and the next three days would be unpleasant.

 

Jiyong remained distant, grumpy, and difficult for Seunghyun’s remaining time as his bodyguard. He didn’t or playfully piss him off as he normally did. They barely shared words. They didn’t even say goodbye to one another.

But Seunghyun quickly forgot the drama as he flourished in his new workspace. Tablo was the head of the narcotics operation in the mob. Boasting a genius level IQ, he had created his own concoction of ecstasy and heroin. The two drugs belonged exclusively to their gang and Seunghyun was in charge of making sure it got shipped out and stayed safe. Tablo was a funny guy, didn’t seem like the type to be cooking in a lab, but he and Seunghyun got along fine. They listened to old school hip-hop while discussing who would carry what, where it would go, and when.

 

A knock on the door to the meeting room interrupted Tablo mid-sentence. Seunghyun glanced at it, then gave an apologetic smile to the older man.

“What is it?” he yelled.

“There’s someone here for you, sir!” called a lackey.

Seunghyun huffed out a sigh. He’d gone over with the new guys that he wasn’t to be easily disturbed and yet they couldn’t seem to get that right.

“Tell them I’m busy!”

“It’s not just anyone, sir.”

Seunghyun frowned and stood up. He rolled his shoulders and popped his neck.

“They never learn, do they?”

“I got all the time in the world. Go on,” Tablo said.

Seunghyun pulled open the door to the office. Before he could ask what the big deal was, he caught sight of a young, white blond, buff man standing just nearby. Seunghyun had never seen him before and he reached back for his gun. The young man laughed.

“Woah, hold your horses. I’m not here to gun you down or some .”

Seunghyun drew his gun and the guy laughed.

“You really don’t remember me? Dude, that’s cold. I’m here on business for the Don.”

Seunghyun gave him a look and then lowered his gun. The man laughed and shook his head, putting his hands in his pocket. He walked away and Seunghyun stood there, watching him.

“Come on then,” the man called.

Seunghyun followed him down the stairs and onto the warehouse floor. Just at the entrance, the doors had been pushed open and a Lamborghini had been pulled inside. Seunghyun stopped short. He knew that car. He hadn’t seen that car in months and he wanted to know why it was there. The door to the car swung open.

“Seungri, what took you so ing long?”

“He wouldn’t answer the ing door,” the blond man said with a laugh.

Seunghyun gulped as he laid eyes on Jiyong climbing from the car. He looked more or less the same as he had when Seunghyun had departed a few months prior. He glanced over at the young man, Seungri, and realized that he was his replacement. He’d met him once, he remembered then, but Seunghyun hadn’t committed Seungri to memory. He’d figured it wouldn’t be important.

“What are you doing here?” Seunghyun said.

“What a way to greet someone,” Jiyong said, leaning against the hood of his car.

Seunghyun said nothing in response, staring at the other two men. Seungri stood with slack posture, a smirk on his face. Jiyong stood up after he lit a cigarette and walked close to Seunghyun. He looked at him, his eyes behind yellow lenses, which made it hard for Seunghyun to tell if Jiyong was looking cocky or insecure.

“I’m here to pick up my usual stuff. Tablo is taking too long to send it to me.”

Seunghyun willed himself not to react, though he was in shock. Jiyong was using? Did the Don know? What the was he thinking? He turned a level stare at Jiyong.

“You’re using our product?”

“Why do you give a ?” Jiyong said, malice dripping from his voice as he blew smoke out of his mouth. “I pay for it, if you’re really worried.”

Seunghyun didn’t say anything. He didn’t like Jiyong’s new attitude towards him. Now being on the receiving end of his attitude, Seunghyun was missing the spoiled, bratty nature he had been accustomed to.

He tried to think of something to say, but Jiyong’s phone made a tinkling sound from his pocket. He drew his phone out and a sigh fell from his lips. He spat his cigarette onto the ground and ground it out with his patent leather shoe before answering.

“Hello?”

Seunghyun watched Jiyong’s face morph from one of annoyance to concern. His lower lip trembled and Seunghyun wondered what could possibly be being said to him on the other end to warrant such a reaction. Jiyong mouthed words quietly, so low that they were inaudible to Seunghyun despite that he was standing mere feet from him. Jiyong finally hung up and blew out a breath before he looked up at Seunghyun.

“My father had a heart attack.”

Seunghyun’s eyes widened of their own accord at the statement. It wasn’t something he could control. The idea was too shocking for all of them. Jiyong let out another breath, a signal that he was trying to hold it together. Seunghyun felt compelled to comfort him, but that was no longer his job, so he willed himself to stay put.

“He’s been taken to the hospital, but for the time being, I’m acting as the Don.”

Seunghyun swallowed around the imaginary lump that had formed in his throat. He looked at Jiyong head on.

“Go get me my drugs, Seunghyun. I need to go to the hospital and find out what the I’m going to be doing now. Looks like I’m your boss again.”

Seungri let out a snort behind Jiyong, but Jiyong remained in his spot. He crossed his arms expectantly and if Seunghyun hadn’t known how to read him, he would have thought that Jiyong didn’t give a flying that his father was in the hospital. Jiyong was in defensive mode.

Seunghyun let out a small breath and nodded, walking back towards the office where Tablo was waiting.

He had no idea what lay in the future. The Don was out of the game for the time being and his spoiled son, who was apparently on their drugs, was now in charge. Worst of all, Seunghyun felt like he needed to comfort Jiyong and keep him safe during it all. He’d been promoted, but apparently his former duties were still engrained in his mind. He refused to admit that it was because he cared. He would never admit that.