Hello and Goodbye

N's Shadow

There is wavering silence undercut only by the growling of the car engine for the duration of the ride to the airport. Amidst the tense air, my anxiety for Wonshik’s safety only deepens, and it takes everything I have to not have a mental breakdown.

    Breathe, in, out, over and over. Wonshik would want me to be strong, to trust that he would come back to me. So I keep breathing, and try to focus on the present.

Hakyeon and I get out of the car, and quickly find our way to a kiosk to purchase next flight tickets to DC. Thankfully there is a straight flight leaving in roughly twenty minutes, and we hurry through the terminal to wait for our names. I clutch Wonshik’s ticket in my palm, holding on to it as though it is a guarantee of his safety. Hakyeon and I stand in wait, still in silence, until the plane begins boarding. With every passing second my worry multiplies exponentially. Was twenty minutes enough time? Should we have chosen a later flight? What if he doesn’t get here in time? What if he can’t find us or where we’ve gone?

My thoughts whisk through my head and I feel dizzy, until a pair of warm arms wrap around me from behind. I whip around, and don’t give a second thought before throwing my arms around Wonshik in blatant relief. Hakyeon also turns, noticing the arrival, and before my face is completely buried in Wonshik’s chest, I notice relief pass ever so briefly over Hakyeon’s face as well.

“Oh come on, you didn’t really think they’d keep me from getting back to you, did you?” Wonshik says, and I lean back to see the playful yet genuinely happy smile I know so well widening on his face.

“Of course not. I knew you’d come back, because I know that YOU know that I’d kill you if you didn’t.” I tease back, my arms still wrapped around his built frame. Instead of replying, he leans down to kiss me, and I wonder if I will ever stop losing my breathe from that simple action.

Finally, after realizing that Hakyeon is using his awkwardly-clearing-his-throat technique to get us to break up the kiss, we look up and realize that it’s our turn to board the plane.

“Let’s go-” I try pulling on Wonshik’s arm as Hakyeon heads toward the gate, but Wonshik winces and I quickly let go.

“Is everything okay?” I ask, just now noticing the bruises beginning to form along Wonshik’s arm. And not just bruises - dried blood I hadn’t noticed before also stands out like a red flag. I must have been so elated to see Wonshik that I hadn’t noticed anything past what I had wanted to see - his warm and handsome features, safe and smiling.

“I’m fine, really,” Wonshik tries to assure me when he notices the worry returning to my face.

“You should see the state of the ones who did this. They won’t be looking as good as I am now for weeks.” Wonshik tries to joke, and I smile despite myself. I grab his hand again, and tug more gently toward the plane.

“Come on, let’s just get going. DC is hours away, and you can rest on the flight.”

“That sounds like a good plan if I’ve ever heard one.” He replies, and I’m relieved that for now the action is over.

 

Or so I thought.

Wonshik and I advance only a few steps toward the boarding gate, where Hakyeon is waiting for us, when down the long hallway several gates away we hear shouts. We turn impulsively, and nervously I question,

“That can’t be for us...right?” Unfortunately, one glance at Wonshik’s hardened expression sends my stomach plummeting through the tacky green 70’s carpet decorating the entirety of the terminal’s floor.

“Get on the plane with Hakyeon, now.” Wonshik orders.

“Wha...are you kidding me?? Wonshik, I was just barely relieved to find out you’re alive and okay, you can’t seriously expect me to let you sacrifice yourself again and leave me alone! I won’t let you!” I argue, letting go of his hand and refusing to follow Hakyeon, who had come to stand by us now, also nervously looking in the direction of the shouts.

“Rose, I wouldn’t do this if I had no other option. I need to keep you safe. Right now, the only way I can do that is by distracting these guys and giving you a shot at getting safely on that plane and to DC. Besides, you won’t be alone. You’ll have Hakyeon.”

Beside us, Hakyeon thankfully stays quiet, and I mentally promise to punch him if he tries to comment on the situation.

“No. No, we already did this once. No way am I risking losing you again. I couldn’t bear it. I can’t bear it.” With tears in my eyes, I refuse to leave Wonshik’s side.

“Rose,” Wonshik finally looks at me, away from the commotion we can hear just out of sight. For a simple moment it is only he and I in the world, and I wish the moment would last forever. Wonshik’s eyes glisten with the pain of separation, and my own are silently begging him to stay. I know that trying to change his mind at this point is futile, however, and the opportunities for Hakyeon and I to run unnoticed onto the plane are sliding by.

Wonshik places one hand behind my neck and pulls me into a quick, desperate, mind-numbing kiss, and even though there are innumerous thoughts and emotions flooding my mind, I am also distinctly aware of him sliding a piece of paper into one of my hands.

All too soon the kiss is broken and with one last deep, meaningful look, Wonshik whispers, “go,” and runs toward the sounds. My heart had felt as though it was suspended on a string, that string being sustained only by the connection of our gaze. The moment Wonshik turned and broke the gaze, the string, dwindling down to a thread, snapped, and reality crashed together in my mind.

Numb, I can’t bring myself to move, only stare dumbly after Wonshik’s form disappearing through the wandering people in the terminal, my happiness like a ghost trailing after him. The remnants of my heart are telling me to stop him and drag him with me onto the plane by any means necessary, but my brain knows that the most important task right now is getting to DC and attempting to convince someone in power to do something powerful to stop the horrible transactions that we have total and condemning access to all of the information on in this moment.

 

It sounds so good in theory.

 

Vaguely I’m aware of Hakyeon pulling me toward the boarding ramp, and somewhere in the back of my mind I remember scanning my boarding pass and sitting down on the plane. I think that the plane took off at some point, but I don’t think I heeded the cues to fasten my seatbelt. I become conscious that Wonshik’s bag is no longer on my back, so Hakyeon must have taken it and stowed it, under the seat probably. I recall Hakyeon repeating something in a calming voice, but his words are lost as I try to digest the fact that Wonshik is gone, I’m on a plane to a city an entire continent length away, and I have no idea when - if - I will ever see him again.

No, I can’t think that way. I will see him again. I will.

I try to stay positive as my dreams, my nightmares from my nap in the car haunt my imagination. Before I can prematurely convince myself of the worst, I recall Wonshik’s action before wrenching my heart out and taking it away with him.

Shaking my head and telling myself not to be so melodramatic, that he’s Wonshik and he’ll be fine, he’ll always be fine, and that Hakyeon’s company won’t be too horrible until Wonshik can reunite with us later down the road, I look down and slowly unclench my fist.

I hadn’t realized how hard I was squeezing my fingers together until I noticed just how crumpled the items lying on my palm now look. Wonshik’s boarding pass, now useless, teases me with what should have happened had those people, those horrible, conscience void people, not shown up and ripped everything out from underneath me. First Rod and Jean, and now they have Wonshik.

I hate them, and I WILL do anything in my power to upturn their erse operations.

With that piece of motivation tucked neatly behind my ear, I turn my attention to the other object in my hand. I have to smooth the paper out, but on it reads four words. Two words that form a name, and two that form a date.

Larry Roylance.

“Who?” I slide my gaze from the words to Hakyeon, who is looking at me with concern and curiosity. At least, that’s how I think his look would be interpreted. It’s always hard to tell with him, though I think I am getting better at reading his subtle expressions. I try not to let my pleasure at that thought show, as I realize that I must have spoken aloud without realizing it.

“Larry Roylance. That’s what it says.”

“What what says?”

I show him the paper Wonshik handed me.

“October 20th?” Hakyeon questions, noticing the date scrawled just underneath the name, and I nod.

“Isn’t...isn’t he a congressman of some sort?” Hakyeon scrunches up his face in thought, and his words seem to ring a bell.

“Yeah...I think you’re right. If I remember anything from the news that Wonshik sometimes has playing on the TV in the background while we eat-”

My throat chokes up briefly as I remember just how peaceful and happy we had been back at the hotel, and I have to force myself to push my thought forward, past the nostalgia forming painfully in my chest.

“I think he was just appointed as the new FBI director. He’s a hardworking, honest man, from what the media says. Everyone loves him. But why would Wonshik give us a note with nothing but his name and a date? We could have just googled that information ourselves.” I wonder.

“You don’t think…” Hakyeon trails off.

“...don’t think what?”

“Maybe he’s a target?” Hakyeon proposes. I’m silent for a moment, contemplating other options, but nothing else seems to make sense.

“If that’s the case, then we need to warn him, or warn someone.”

“What could the date mean?”

“Perhaps it’s the day he assumes office? I think there’s still time before he officially takes over the position, though I could be wrong.” I guess.

“No, that would make sense...because if someone was going to assassinate the newly appointed head of the FBI, wouldn’t they want to do it before that person takes over office? I don’t know much, but I assume that even for the guys chasing us, it would be pretty difficult to target the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.”

I nod in agreement, and wonder just how Wonshik came about this information. Never mind, at least we have a clear task ahead of us.

“When we land, we’ll need to get cell phones so we can contact one another if we get separated. We also need to check the internet to confirm everything we just went over. Then we have three weeks before Roylance assumes office, during which we need to plan a tactful way of telling the FBI that their new director is going to be killed in the near future without it sounding like a threat. Good plan.” I commend myself, settling farther into my seat, worn out and ready to nap before facing the crazy world we’ll be forced to deal with once we land.

“Who said you’re calling the shots?” Hakyeon says with a smile in his voice, as he hands the paper back to me. My hand closes over it, and when our fingers brush, I look back up at his intense, focused gaze. At least I have Hakyeon, I tell myself. I’m not alone.

“I do. And it’s been a long day and a lot has happened, so I’m going to nap now.” I state, and turn to lean my head on the window, missing whatever unreadable face Hakyeon makes in reply.

 

    I wasn’t expecting to actually fall asleep, but the day’s events had certainly taken their toll on me and within moments I had sunk into unconsciousness. I had no dreams, only the bittersweet relief of absolute nothingness. For about forty minutes.

Suddenly I’m shaken awake by Hakyeon and the annoying voice of the pilot (or is it the copilot who does these things?) over the intercom.

    I groan, and move away from his incessant touch, to try and resume my nap.

    “Rose, you need to wake up.” Hakyeon says quietly.

“Why though?” I continue to try and ignore him, my tired brain refusing to catch on to the urgency in his voice.

“Rose, they’re stopping the plane. We’re going to need to somehow make a run for it.” Hakyeon whispers, trying not to alarm the people near us. Thankfully it’s mostly young families, who are too engrossed in their own activities to pay any attention to a sleepy college student (oh if only) and a panicky Asian.

I sit up, Hakyeon’s words dispelling my need for sleep.

“Hold on, how do you know?”

Just then the intercom goes off again, and one of the pilot duo announces,

“Just to let you know once again, we will be making an unplanned stop in Boise, Idaho. It’s only a brief detour, and we will be back up and on our way to DC in no time. We apologize for the inconvenience.”

Hakyeon looks at me as though no other explanation is necessary, and I sigh, lamenting only that my nap hadn’t lasted longer.

“To be honest, I’m surprised they didn’t stop us sooner.” Hakyeon says.

“Sure, but we’re still only in Idaho. At this rate, there’s no way we’re going to reach Washington soon enough to prevent anything.” Hakyeon sees my point, and doesn’t reply.

“What if...we hide in the bathroom?” Hakyeon slowly proposes.

“In the bathroom??” I question, after a pause wherein I was trying to decide whether or not he is being serious. Apparently, he is.

“Well, if it’s anything like last time, they’re going to board the plane. It’ll look like just a random inspection, but what they’re looking for is us. As it is, there’s not really anywhere for us to hide.”

“...Except the bathroom.” I conclude.

“Except the bathroom.” Hakyeon repeats.

“Won’t the hostesses find it weird that we’re both going into the miniscule bathroom at the same time?”

“I’m sure they’ve seen it happen before,” Hakyeon says, the tiniest smirk playing on his lips, and I smack his arm in embarrassment.

“Ouch! Okay okay. You go in first, wait for a few minutes, and when it seems less conspicuous you can unlock the door. That’s when I’ll join you.” Hakyeon directs. Seeing no other options, I agree to this plan, and wait until the bathroom closest to us, the one at the very back of the plane, reads “OPEN.”

The plane had just begun its descent, so I sling Wonshik’s bag around my shoulders, not wanting to leave it by the seat and arouse suspicion, before getting up and heading to the back of the aircraft. No one stops me as I make my way back to the impossibly small bathroom...porta potty...stall thing that plane restrooms are. Who would stop me anyway? I’m being paranoid, I tell myself, but I can’t bring myself to look anyone in the eye until I reach the restroom and pull the folding door shut, turning the lock to “OCCUPIED.”

Seriously...how are Hakyeon and I supposed to fit in this thing together? Shaking my head, I stay standing just in front of the door, tapping out the seconds with my forefinger on the plastic wall of the room. Eventually I feel like enough time has passed, and I flip the latch so Hakyeon would get the cue to join me. I try to squish myself against the wall farthest from the door opening, which was seriously probably less than a foot in the other direction, and wait.

Moments later, the door starts to slide open, and I briefly panic at the thought that someone else might have needed to use the restroom, and I would accidentally startle some poor passenger who just wanted to relieve themself. Hakyeon would never stop laughing at me if that happened.

Hakyeon shuts the door and locks it, then looks at me quizzically.

“Why do you look so nervous?” He questions, and a blush rises to my cheeks.

“Nothing! Um…” The thought of running into a stranger in the john disappears, replaced with the fact that Hakyeon is very, very close to me right now. It would be impossible to stand shoulder to shoulder, so Hakyeon had turned to face me, and even then we barely fit in the space not taken up by the toilet. Not as tall as Wonshik, Hakyeon’s face is a lot closer to me than I was prepared for.

“Nothing…” I reiterate, more quietly this time. Hakyeon’s head is turned toward the door, fiddling again with the lock. Ensuring that the door would stay closed even with the lock in the “OPEN” position, he turns to face me again.

“So, when the plane lands -”

The plane chooses this moment to do just that, and when the whole machine is jolted from the impact of the wheels meeting the runway, Hakyeon and I naturally lose our balance for a moment. Hakyeon falls slightly forward, catching himself on the wall with his hands. Unfortunately, I had been somewhat backward, and ended up leaning on that very same wall to hold myself up. Right between Hakyeon’s arms. Hakyeon’s eyes meet mine, which are staring at him, startled. His eyes flick down to my lips, and I try not to notice. Naturally, I fail.

“Sorry…” he says softly, his lips so close to mine that I can feel the air moving through them when he speaks. He doesn’t make any effort to stand up straight, however, so I fight the rising blush by attempting to shove him off of me.

“Hak-”

“Sh!” Hakyeon still doesn’t move, unless you count leaning his body in even closer, but his face looks more serious now than lustful. The plane is quiet, and we can hear the hostesses discussing something trivial nearby. I understand the need for silence, but I also refuse to allow my mind to flood with thoughts of Hakyeon that I should definitely not be having so soon after parting with Wonshik. I push Hakyeon’s chest lightly until he gets the hint and straightens up. Reluctantly? Possibly, but I can’t concern myself with that right now.

 

We wait silently as the plane comes to stop. The passengers are muttering among themselves, and time seems to tick by. I almost wish there was a peephole of some sort to see what’s going on in the plane, but, big surprise, no one thought to put a window in an airplane restroom. And so Hakyeon and I are forced to stand still, in annoyingly close proximity, for an agonizingly long time.

At one point we can hear the passengers hush their children, and there are solid, menacing footsteps stepping slowly down the length of the plane. Praying that no one would remember that the odd duo sitting in front of, behind, or across from them were suddenly missing from their seats, we all but hold our breath when the steps reach the end of the plane. What if they decide to offhandedly check the restrooms as well? We’d be dead for sure. My heart is pounding in my ears as I prepare to be discovered.

Yet, miraculously, the footsteps begin to retreat. When the quiet is dispelled and the passengers begin chattering once more, we let out a sigh of relief, and look at each other with triumphant smiles.

We wait wordlessly until we feel the plane take off once more. Eventually we stealthily make our way back to our seats, spaced out enough to not cause concern, and allow ourselves a victory high five.

“I can’t believe that worked.” I shake my head.

“Yeah, me either..” Hakyeon chuckles.

“It’s good to know you have so much faith in your own plans. I’ll remember that next time you propose we do something dangerous, like hiding in an airplane restroom while murderous men are searching for us.” I say sarcastically. Hakyeon only sticks his tongue out in response. As our smiles die down, I notice Hakyeon’s gaze focus on something down the aisle at the front of the plane.

“What is it?” I question.

“Call me crazy, but I’m pretty sure that seat was empty before.” He nods toward a spot several rows in front of us. I follow his gaze, and even though I’m not as observant as Hakyeon, I definitely know there was not a suited man sitting next to the aisle before now. My whole body instinctively freezes up, and I look at my frowning companion in panic.

“What do we do??” I ask him quietly.

“There’s nothing we can do...they obviously still suspected that we were on this plane somewhere, and there’s no way he hasn’t noticed us by now. I doubt he’s going to do anything until we land, but we’re going to have to somehow evade him and the other goonies no doubt waiting for us when we arrive.”

“I just hope they don’t stop the plane before Washington this time…” I mumble. Hakyeon looks at me with amusement.

“I’ll work on the action plan. We’ve potentially got four more hours until we land, why don’t you get some more sleep?” He suggests.

“You kidding? Do you think that even I could sleep with a scary man who is definitely going to try and kill us sitting only a few rows ahead of us? Knowing that when I woke up I’d be facing near death circumstances? I can’t believe you think so little of me.” My words are accusatory, but they had been interrupted more than once with a yawn, and as the exhaustion I felt before returned all at once, I had slowly lowered my head to rest on Hakyeon’s shoulder.

“Really. You’re so rude, you know.” I yawn once more, my eyelids dragging themselves shut.

“Sweet dreams,” He says, holding back a chuckle.

“Shut up,” is the last thing I manage to say before taken over by blissfully mundane dreams of my Wonshik and I.

 

 

 

 


Hello ya'll! About time for an update, isn't it?

I apologize, between school and work I have extremely limited time to work on this. But finally I have another chapter for you~ I'm also very tired, so please forgive any mistakes I may have made. I'll come back and polish it tomorrow if need be.

Hope you enjoy~ Please sub and comment! <33 Happy Halloween!!