Caught

Blank Space

I know you are Kira. - Ravenswood

Light read and reread those five words, those five word that resonated in his soul. Who the hell had…There were so many questions, he had been so careful, but in his quest for god he did have to admit he had gotten a bit reckless. There were no fingerprints, no evidence, not even handwriting. He was certain Ryuk would have notified him if he had been followed, which had already happened with Raye Penber. He had just devised a plan to eradicate that nuisance, and here comes another one! He grips the letter, wrinkling the fine white sheet the words were pasted on. Whoever this person was, he had to eliminate them immediately.

Anastasia snickered; she had him. She had sent him the letter, and had been very meticulous not to leave a trace of herself on the letter. If he reacted in any way, she would know exactly who’s name to write down in the Death Note. She had to be sure, though; if she killed someone innocent, it would be blasphemous; she had vowed to only kill criminals, wrong doers and those who got in her way. So she trailed him. Not just like any amateur though. Truly had alerted her that it was quite the possibility his Shinigami would warn him he was being followed. But, she had the advantage. Her Shinigami wanted out of her realm, and it would benefit both of them if she won this little game of cat and mouse. His Shinigami was just along for the ride.  So, with the assistance of a cloak from the Shinigami realm, she trailed him. Figured out his patterns. Never followed him inside, but knew he went to school early, and went straight home, then to prep school. All that extra work made her scoff. She was never one to put in too much work into school, she knew there were more important things in life. She presumed he had an allotted time to write names. She knew he had received the letter, the shifty looks he gave everyone, as if they could be it. She snickered to herself; er, she was one step ahead of him. He was walking home, she was right on the corner of his street, feet slapping against the pavement. That was when her cloak slipped off, and of course that was the precise movement he turned around, and spotted her.

“.” She breathed. He squinted, as if making sure he knew her.

“Rabenda-chan? What are you doing here?” He strode toward her, an evil glint in his eyes.

“…” She had to think up an excuse, and fast. “Well, it’s kind of embarrassing, really.” She laughed it off, he smirked. “See, I’ve had the biggest crush on you for a while now…and... uh...” She looked up to see if he was buying it. His chocolate eyes were calculating. Finally, he smiles, a glint of crimson mixed in.

“Do you really think I’d fall for that, Rabenda-san? Or should I say Ravenswood? You’re done.” He hissed, so no passersby would hear. She audibly growled, gritting her crooked teeth together. He clicks open his watch and scribbles a name. She panics, seeing the beginning of her name. And that was when, with a running start, she jumped on him. He almost caught her, she didn’t weigh as much as him, but even Light was surprised by her physical attack. He lost his balance and came crashing to the asphalt, her on top of him. They struggled together, wrestling for the bit of parchment form the Death note, all while Truly and Ryuk sniggered.

“Give it up, you !” she snarled.

“Light.”

“Now is not the time Ryuk!”

“I know, usually if a cute girl was on top of you, I’d leave you to it, but we have company.”

“You’ve been spotted.” Chimed in Truly. Both stop their struggle to see a man, right down the street, obviously trying not to be seen. Anastasia curled her hands into fists, this was not how this was supposed to go at all! Her heart thumped in her chest, her brow was covered in sweat.

“Damn!” rumbled Light. She stood up and dusted herself off. “Come on, let’s go inside.”

“Why should I?”

“Because, I’m fairly certain L has begun to suspect the police. I have information, and I can take you down just as easily as you can take me down, so get inside and we’ll work something out.”  Light threw open the door, clearly pissed that his little cover had been blown.  She follows behind him, irritated her own cover had been blown as well; she had been so damn careful, now this arrogant jerk would ruin it for her! She removes her shoes, out of courtesy not for Light but for his family. They climb up the stairs, toward Light’s room.

“Light, can you help me with--.”

“Sayu! What do you want?” Light asks, not unkindly, more surprised by his sister’s sudden appearance. She peers round his shoulder at the slightly shorter brunette girl.

“Who’s this?” she inquires, wiggling her eyebrows at her older brother.

“Just a friend.”

“No, she’s your girlfriend isn’t she? It’s been a while since you brought a girl home, Light!” She squeals, clearly excited. My stomach does a flip. Girlfriend? Not in a million years. Light, wanting to get this over with, simply pinched the bridge of his nose. What really made her sneer through, was the legendary Light Yagami had not had a real girlfriend in some time; something girls fawning over him would be dying to know.

“You got me, Sayu. I promise I’ll help you in a little bit, okay?”

“Okay.”  Anastasia continues to follow him mindlessly, in shock about the whole girlfriend thing. “Wait are you guys going to make out?” Light slams the door, tossing his bag to the side. Once the weight of what has just happened sunk in, Anastasia picks up her Death note and whacks Light across the head with it.

“I am not your girlfriend.” She hisses, repugnant. He rubs the back of his head, it hadn’t hurt much, anyways.

“Well, what did you want me to sa-?” He stops, now seeing Truly, large and hovering behind Anastasia. A sinister smile spreads across his face.

“So you have one too.” She curses herself. She needed to stop being so damn impulsive, it was going to end her. “Have you used it?”

“Of course not.”

“There’s no use lying here, Rabenda-san.” She carefully weighs her options.

“Perhaps I have. You spill first.” She orders, plopping down in a chair by his desk. He uses a pen to unlock the desk, and soon is holding a Death note. She tosses him hers, and he catches with grace, repeating the motion to her. She flips through the sheets, ink splattered on the lined pages. It was a beautiful massacre. “You’ve written a lot.”

“I could say the same for you.” They switch notebooks again. “Now.” He starts. “Who in the world could that be?” He gestures outside to the mysterious an in the trench coat.

“You tell me. You’re the one with the cop for a daddy. I’m just an innocent school girl.” He chuckles.

“Innocent?! You’re in as deep as I am.” He pauses, then looks into her violet eyes, completely serious.”  I’m fairly certain.” He weighs each word, revealing only what is necessary. “That L had begun to suspect the police. He could have maybe fifty people investigating them.”  She nods.

“So we should look like a couple of love birds.” She sighs, now it is her turn too pinch the bridge of her nose. How had she gotten herself wrapped up in all this? “And why should I pretend to be the famous Light Yagami’s girlfriend?”

“Because if you don’t, I’ll--.”

“You’ll what? Write my name in the Death note? Don’t forget, sweetheart.” Her voice is sickly soft, dangerous, even.  “I can do the same for you.”

“What I meant was, we’ll go down together if we’re at each other’s throats constantly.”

“What are you saying?” She had an inkling of an idea and she didn’t like it. She meant to eliminate this boy.

“I propose a temporary truce. Think about it We have the power of gods. And there’s two of us! Together, I don’t see how we could be stopped.”

“How temporary are we talking?”

“Until L is out of the picture.”

“I suppose…But first, we need to find out why you were being trailed. We were seen together. That means I’m immediately in as deep of as you are.”

“We aren’t in anything yet. They have no evidence.” He reassured her.

“Light.” Cackled Ryuk.

“Yes, Ryuk?”

“We’ve been holding out on you.”

“Truthfully, I didn’t want this kind of power in the hands of these little brats.” Growled a hostile Truly.

“There is two big differences between Shinigami and humans that have a Death note. Do you know why Shinigami write human’s names in the Death Note.”

“Of course they don’t! They’re just humans, after all.”

“Both of you are really talkative today.”

“It’s annoying.” Growled Anastasia.

“It’s because Shinigami receive the remaining life span of the human.” He pauses and looks to Anastasia, then to Light.

“Go on.” Grants Anastasia.

“Say a human was to live to sixty in the Human World, but his name is written in the Death Note at forty, sixty minus forty equals twenty. Those twenty years in the Human world are added onto a Shinigami’s life span. As long as we don’t slack off, even if we’re fatally shot or stabbed, Shinigami will not die.”

“What’s that have to do with us?”

“He’s getting to that!” snaps Truly.

“But no matter how many names you two write in the Death Note, you won’t receive any added years onto your life span. That’s the first difference between Shinigami and a human with a Death Note.”

“That’s kinda interesting.” Admits Light.

“But our second difference is probably of more interest to you two.” He grins, more than usual. “Instead of lengthening life, it’s about shortening it.” He pauses once more, taking in their reaction. Anastasia wears a poker face. “When a Shinigami sees a person’s face, they know their name, do you know why?”

“Of course they don’t.” answers Truly.

“Quit asking such tedious questions!” scolds Anastasia. Truly winces at her tone.

“In a Shinigami’s eyes, a human’s name and lifespan can be seen above a person’s head.”

“Name…and life span.”

“Now finally, something of use!” exclaims Anastasia.

“Of course, in my eyes, Light Yagami and Anastasia Rabenda, I can see your names and life spans, right now.”

“If we cared enough, we could convert it to human time and know how long you have left.” adds Truly “But we’ll never tell you.” She sneered. Ryuk hoots at the flash of anger that passes through Anastasia’s bright indigo eyes.

“Shinigami never have trouble telling the names of the people they kill. They also know how many years they are going to gain from it. That’s the crucial difference between you and me.”

“Here’s the good part!” giggled Truly

“Shinigami can turn the eyes of whoever picked up their death note into Shinigami eyes.” Light audibly hasps, surprised while Anastasia sits, stone still.

 

“But only if a deal is made, one that’s been with us since ancient times.” Light furrows his brow; Anastasia sighs; he was giving them too much power over him.

“A deal?”

“The price for a Shinigami’s eyes…”

“Well spit it out.” Ordered an impatient Anastasia. Ryuk’s pointy teeth look especially dangerous in the low light, and his slightly cross eyed cardinal eyes staring intently at Light, while Truly gazed at Anastasia expectantly

“Is half that person’s remaining life span.”

“Of course, if you two are dead set on working together, only one of you would have to make the deal.” Recognizes Truly.

“Half…”

“Of our remaining life spam…?”

“Yeah. In other words, if you were to live another fifty years, you’d live twenty-five.”

“Or if you had a year, you’d live six months.”

“And since you’re neither Kira’s ally or L’s…”

“You won’t just give away the name of the man following Light, or L’s real name.” breathed Anastasia at the realization.

“In other words, if one of you gives up half your remaining life span, you will be at an advantage.”