제 6.1 장: 드라마 (Deurama. Drama)

Chrome Heart

My two weeks in Japan went by rapidly. Our presentation, Wong Bin and I, went so well  that our project was unanimously approved and in two months, we had a meeting with a New York hospital to do more research. Taecyeon was so proud of me that he took me to one of the most exclusive restaurants in Osaka with the rest of the members of his group. It was really good and it reminded me of the dinner I had with Big Bang' members.

On my return yet, my world collapsed. First, I learned that Ji Yong's sasaeng case had grown. The girl - apparently 16 years old - had managed to break into the building. Her father being a 재벌 (jaebeol), the charges was dropped and the case covered-up. Second, Kiko and Ji Yong had become close again. About this, my good friend and neighbor had not told me anything. It was Taeyang, apparently worried about his friend, who put me in the secret.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when Ji Yong told me smiling, that he thought he was cured of his nightmares. Reconnecting with Kiko had a healing effect.
Reconnecting ? What did he mean by that? They were together again? After all she had done to him? And her Japanese boyfriend? She broke up with him? I secretly looked for information on Kiko on Naver and there was nothing ... just a rumor that G-Dragon and her were together again.

  • Allen Anna-ssi?

I looked up to the head nurse who looked at me with a sweet smile.

  • I'm sorry to bother you and I know you're busy but I can't get in touch with Dr. Anh. You were the one that was seeing Choi Eun Seol before him.

Choi Eun Seol? Ah, my sasaeng paen of patient who had almost drove me crazy.

  •  What's happening with Eun Seol?
  • Her parents called. She had not come home now for two nights and they are worried. They checked with all her friends and no one has seen her. She was not in class either, and there is no 팬 미팅 (paen miting. Fan meeting) of her favorite bands.

I frown. No 팬 미팅 (paen mitting) and Eun Seol was MIA? Impossible.

  •  I'll call her parents and see what's going on Kim 간호사 (ganhosa. Nurse.) 걱정 하지 마세요 (Geokjeong haji maseyo. Don't worry). I'll find her.

It was easier said than done. People from Eun Seol's neighborhood organized a hunt to find the 15 years old girl. I contacted the hospitals and the police. Nothing. I called Top to ask for a hand. He helped me found out where was each one of the idols that Eun Seol worshiped. Nothing. She had completely vanished.

I brought her parents to the nearest police station so they could fill a missing person report and called the school to have access to her locker. Although it was nearly 9 pm, the principal himself came to expect me.

  •  Eun Seol is not a child to disappear without any reason lamented the old man. True, she often misses school but she still falsifies a paper to try to justify her absence.
  • Have something happened at school? I asked, examining the contents of the locker.
  • Something ? We have a zero tolerance policy against bullying here 선생님 (seonsaengnim.Teacher).  If this is what you refering to and ...

A door slamming in the distance interrupted us. I raised my prying eyes to the principal who had visibly paled.

  • You can't posibly believe that it was a 귀신 (guisin. Ghost)? I asked to make the old man laugh.
  • No, a 귀신 (guisin. Ghost) no. It's the roof door that just slamed and nobody except us, is supposed to be in school.

When I understood what the man insinuated, I felt a cold sweat cover me. The suicide rate among students was very high in South Korea. Without further adding, I made a sprint toward the stairs. I opened the door to the roof and found myself in the middle of an horror movie. Choi Eun Seol was there but she was standing on the edge and seemed ready to jump.

  • Eun Seol-ah I whispered softly, 뭐해? (Mwohae? What are you doing?)
  • Don't come any closer! said the girl, turning abruptly.

My heart stopped for a moment and I had to restrain myself not to rush towards her. She waddled almost in the void. I heard the muffled exclamation of the principal who had just arrived. He turned around immediately and I prayed he called the police and the firefighters.

  • Eun Seol-ah I continued, what would you say we talk about it? Huh? Maybe we can find a solution together...
  • Together ? said the girl with a mocking laugh. You have abandoned me. You have transferred me to another doctor. You all think I'm crazy because I have a real connection with Sehun 오빠 (oppa).
  • Eun Seol-ah, 미안해 (mianhae. Sorry). I am ready to listen to you now and I also know some idols. You liked 2PM Ok Taecyeon right? And Big Bang? I can…
  • 거짓말 그만 !! (Geojitmal geuman. Stop lying!)

I stopped when she pulled a Swiss Army knife from her pocket.

  • Everything is your fault. You did not even try to understand what I was feeling. You lied to me! You promised to listen to me before but only after a few sessions, you have transferred me. Why ? You think I'm crazy like the others is not it?
  •  Who thinks you're crazy Eun Seol-ah?

I tried to make her speak, at least this will give the police time to arrive and they can help in this situation. I was ready to faint at any moment now. My heart was racing, I had sweaty hands and I could hear my pulse pounding in my ears.

  • My parents, you, the girls from school. Everybody !

She threw one leg in the air.

  • Eun Seol-ah! The building is not high enough for you to die. If you jump, you'll hurt yourself pretty badly and that's it. Please, come down from there!

She seemed to consider what I had said and looked down. She turned to me and took a step in my direction. I sighed in relief.

  • In that case…

My cry of horror died in my throat as I hurried to catch the girl who was falling. She had cut her jugular with her Swiss Army knife. In less than a second, I was covered in blood. I pressed my hands against the wound, trying to keep her from bleeding to death. My God ! She was dying and there was nothing I could do. Except crying like an idiot.

  • Eun Seol-ah I cried. 하나님 (Hananim! God!) Eun-Seol-ah. You'll be fine. Eun Seol-ah...
  •  당 ... 당신 의 잘 ... ... 못 (e Dangsin jalmot. Your fault.) Gurgled the girl before closing her eyes.

The rest happened in a blur. The police finally arrived and the paramedics took over. Someone helped me get up and made me got in a car. I arrived quickly to the hospital and people around me did not stop using the word "shock". My eyes were fixed on my hands covered with blood. My fault. I had considered Eun Seol as a nuisance and at the first opportunity, I had transferred her case to a colleague. I had broken the trust that the girl had decided to place in me. All that blood. My fault.

  • Anna-yah...

I wanted to cry, I felt the lump in my throat, but no tears flowed. My shirt was ruined. Too much blood. My fault.