Unexplained situation

Baby Steps

A/N: This is the second chapter! Special thanks to CMemlovr for beta reading! I hope you like it!

Sharon didn't know how to begin – how to tell him her news. Their relationship hadn't been great lately, they'd been fighting constantly, and she didn't think that a baby would be a good idea. She hadn't expected this pregnancy – had no idea whether or not it would be a good idea to give birth to a baby now. What would her children think? Probably that their mother was crazy, having a child at her age. Sitting tensely, she ignored Andy as he watched her carefully. He didn't understand why he was here, but noted that Sharon's hands were trembling. Sharon's silence unnerved him, and he felt the need to break the quiet tension.

"Sharon, is everything okay?" he asked worriedly.

"To be honest, Andy, no," she replied sharply, "everything is not okay."

"What's wrong with you, Sharon? What do you want from me?" Andy questioned her confusedly.

Sharon stood and began to pace nervously, "Look, Andy –I-"

"Captain, I'm sorry to interrupt, but we've got the suspects from the murder we caught in the interview room. They're ready for questioning." Sharon glanced up, surprised to see Sanchez standing in her doorway. She'd been ready to tell Andy everything, until fate had intervened in the shape of Detective Sanchez.

"I- Thanks, Julio. I'll be in shortly," replied Sharon.

Andy watched in confusion as she turned to follow Sanchez out the door. He grabbed her hand as she was leaving, looking into her eyes pleadingly.

"Sharon, was what you wanted to say very important?"

Her eyes brimmed with tears as she replied softly, "No, no. Forget about it, Andy. We can talk later, for now I've got to go." Turning away from Andy, she strode to the interview room, unaware of Andy's concern for her.

What could have been so important?

"Why'd Julio have to interrupt us now? This job, I swear," grumbled Andy to himself under his breath. He sat at her desk and decided to wait for Sharon, grateful when she emerged from the interview room nearly an hour later. Andy felt as though he'd been waiting for hours.

"Andy," she murmured quietly. He lifted his gaze to meet hers, watching as she closed the door behind herself and approached him. "Why are you here?" she asked.

"I waited, to talk to you."

Sharon did not want to talk about this, not right now. She wasn't ready for this, and thought that it might be a mistake to talk to him about her pregnancy. In truth, she'd considered abortion, but she wasn't sure she could do it.

"Why so quiet?" asked Andy.

"Andy," she almost moans with fatigue, "I don't want to talk right now. We can do this some other time, not now, when I'm not feeling well," her features contort into an expression of sadness, "please, Andy," she pleads.

Taking her hand, Andy pacified her, "You know I love you, Sharon. If this can wait, then I'll respect that. We'll talk about it some other time."

Smiling softly, she murmured, "thank you."

"Would you like me to take you home?"

"There's no need, thanks. I just need some time alone."

Nodding in assent, Andy left her office. Sharon leaned back in her chair, shutting her eyes briefly and resting her hand on her stomach.

"What am I going to do?" Sharon asked herself.

Hours later, Sharon was at home with Rusty, finishing up dinner. Rather, Rusty was having dinner, as Sharon hadn't been able to eat due to constant nausea and vomiting. Rusty worried about his mother, as he'd never seen her like this before.

"Mom?" he began softly.

"Yes, Rusty."

"Is everything – are you okay?" asked Rusty concernedly.

"I'm fine, why?"

"You haven't eaten anything and you've been vomiting since morning. I just – I'm worried about you, mom."

Sharon took his hand reassuringly, "I'm fine, Rusty, don't worry."

"I- I think you're hiding something, mom. Please talk to me."

Sharon wasn't sure how to respond – could she tell him that she was pregnant?

"Rusty, please- I'm fine!"

"Mom," he insisted, "please."

Sharon inhaled deeply, leading Rusty to the couch as she tried to figure out how to begin explaining everything.

"Fine, we'll talk," she hedged. "What do you want to know, Rusty?"

"Why have you been vomiting? Are you sick?" asked Rusty worriedly.

"I- I'm not sick," she reassured him, "I know it might be weird to think about, given my age, but…you know I've been dating Andy recently, and that when you've been out with your friends, Andy and I, we-"

"Hold up; what are you talking about?" interrupted Rusty, "You're with Andy, so… what, did you sleep with him?"

Sharon sighed at how quickly Rusty grasped what she'd been trying to say.

"Yes."

"Uh, right. I mean, it's your life and you two obviously love each other and all, but what's Andy got to do with this?" asked Rusty, nonplussed

"You could say that Andy is related to my current symptoms," replied Sharon.

"What?"

"Look, I know it's strange, but, well…I'm pregnant." Sharon breathed in deeply again, watching Rusty's expression morph to one of shock.

"Pregnant?"

"Yes. It was a surprise for me, too. But, the tests don't lie."

"Well – I mean…It's just, really surprising, mom."

"I know it's not the best news for you…or me. I just don't really know - I'm so confused - and to be pregnant again after so many years…"

"Mom, this is good news. Having a baby with someone who has loved you for so long – with someone that you love? It is good news," smiled Rusty.

"Do you really think so?''

"Yeah, I do. Does Andy know?"

"No, I haven't told him anything yet. I tried to, but I couldn't. And I don't think it'll make sense to tell him now, anyway."

"Why?" asked Rusty, surprised.

"Rusty, it's more complicated than just telling him the news – he might not want this baby," she explained, "I'm not sure yet, but I think the best way forward would be for me to have an abortion," at this, her voice broke.

"An abortion? Why, mom? You love your children, and the person inside you is another one of us," reasoned Rusty.

"Of course I love my children Rusty, but this child was a mistake – none of us imagined that it would happen."

"You have to tell Andy, mom. He has a right to know, even if you do decide to have an abortion."

"I don't know – I can't think straight."

"Just, make sure that this is what you want, mom."

Rusty left his mother seated on the couch, discomfort and disappointment churning in his stomach. He couldn't understand Sharon right now – why was she thinking about abortion?

Sharon was bewildered. her belly absent-mindedly, she shut her eyes to think.

"Well, little one, how am I going to tell your father?" she murmured to herself, speaking to the child developing inside of her. "Rusty's right – I don't want to have you, but I don't want to kill you, either. What am I going to do?"

Her musings were interrupted by the shrill tone of her phone, the screen lit with Andy's name.

"Oh, Andy ..."

She couldn't answer the phone, not right now. Hanging up on him, she hadn't expected that he'd call her again instantly. She sighed at his persistence, and picked up the phone.

"Yes, Andy?"

"Why are you shutting me out, Sharon? I've been trying to reach you for hours!" replied Andy furiously.

"What's the problem, Andy?"

"I just want to know how you are, Sharon. What's going on?"

"I'm fine, don't worry."

"I'm glad-"

"Andy, I need to sleep, we'll talk later."

"Sure, Sharon. We'll talk tomorrow. I just wanted to know how you were doing," he replied resignedly before being hung up on.

Sharon sat pensively in her office the next day, mulling over her conversation with Rusty. A knock on the door startled her from her thoughts, and she looked up to find Sykes entering her office.

"Have you spoken to Flynn yet, Captain?" she asked hesitantly.

"No," sighed Sharon, "I tried, but I couldn't."

"What are you thinking?" she asked sympathetically.

"Amy, I – I can't think straight. I even considered abortion," replied Sharon helplessly.

"Captain, don't-"

"I know it's a bad idea, Amy. I don't know how I could've considered it."

"You have to tell Flynn, Captain. He has a right to know."

"What do I have a right to know?" asked Andy, having overheard the end of their conversation. Sharon sighed uncertainly, watching Andy's expression flit between confusion and frustration.

"I'm sorry Captain, but if you won't tell him, I will," said Sykes. Then, turning her attention to Andy she asks, "you've wanted to know what's going on with Sharon, right?"

"I have, yes."

"Amy, please," Sharon cut in firmly.

"Captain, I can't lie to him. Are you going to tell him?"

"Can someone tell me what's going on?!" interrupted Andy, frustrated and beginning to panic at the sight of tears pooling in Sharon's eyes.

"Flynn – Andy – the Captain…Andy, Sharon's pregnant." Turning away from both of them, Sykes returned to her desk, leaving Andy to gaze at Sharon with shock. As she lifted her eyes to meet his, tears slid down her cheeks.

~~~ TBC ~~~