South Wall

Four Walls: South Wall
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Henry!" The man at the end of the line greeted him. Henry was perplexed at the sudden call. First of all, it's half past midnight and second of all, it's Joel and they're not even close. "Hi Joel! How have you been?" He was dying to know what made the man call at an ungodly hour. "I'm good! Sorry to call you at this time but are you busy right now?" The man asked. "I was just getting into bed actually. What's up?" Henry was sure this is the longest conversation he had with the man ever.

"You see, it's Amber." And just like that, Henry's mental faculties began working overtime. Joel knew that the man would do anything for Amber that's why he called him. In fact, everyone knew that Henry would go to lengths for Amber. "Did anything happen? Is she ok?" He asked as he sat up in bed - ready to change his clothes, grab his keys, and run. Joel sighed at the other end of the phone and Henry's anxiety heightened even more. Something's not right. He's sure of it.

"That's the thing. I know she's hurting but I don' t know for sure the extent of how hurt she is. She's not answering any calls or texts. She won't get out of her house and she's not letting anyone inside either." This unsettled Henry so he made a run for it and just like clockwork, drove to the place he knew by heart. He didn't have to think about it as he made all turns to a certain apartment in Seoul. "Is this about..." Henry didn't have to finish his sentence for Joel to get what he's trying to say.

"Yeah. I'm really sorry but I think you of all people know what she's going through right now." He knew exactly what he's pertaining to. "How long has this been going on?" He texted the girl the other day and received no reply. He should have known by then that something was wrong. "She's been distant for the past two weeks. I thought she was going to pull through like always. We all did. But this time it's different." Joel wouldn't have approached the man if the situation wasn't as bad as this.

Henry's heart dropped as Joel continued. "None of us have heard from her for three days now. Not even Jackie. Her parents are worried sick since she hasn't called them in days. We tried reaching out but we can't. She won't let us. Can you try to talk to her? I'm worried. Everyone's worried." He stepped on the pedal. "Alright I'm on my way." An audible sigh of relief was heard from the other line. "Thanks man, let me know if you get through her alright?"

 

 

Henry wasn't scared - he was terrified. He reached the girl's apartment in record time. He has known Amber for almost a decade and never has she done anything like this. She hated being a burden to anybody but always approached her friends if she needed help. Never has she closed herself off like this. He pressed the button and waited for the elevator. It was the longest 2 minutes of Henry's entire life. He has an inkling about what pushed her to do this but her situation is different than his.

The elevator opened and he ran to the girl's door. He stood there for a good minute trying to catch his breath and finally rang the doorbell. The only response he got was Jack jack's bark. He rang again and pressed the intercom. "Hey Amber. It's Henry." He didn't know what to say. He's scared that he might push her away. "I miss you." Again, he got no reply from the other side of the door apart from her dog's whines. "Can I crash your place tonight?" He said as he crossed his fingers.

It was as if time stood still as the silence grew. He lost track of time but he was determined to stay up all night if that's what it takes to see her. The girl meant so much to him. Henry began losing hope until he heard a small voice from the intercom call out his name. "Henry? You still there?". Then everything felt right as he hastily replied. "Yes! Let me in?" The door opened revealing the girl in question at her most vulnerable state and the boy wasted no time wrappind his arms around her.

Henry and Amber spent their formative years in Korea together. This means that Henry saw how the girl transformed from a shy tomboy in a strange land to a giant ball of energy and fluff known for being friends with anyone and everyone in and out of the show business. Amber has come a long way from her past but this is a sight that brings back memories of unpleasant days to Henry. Amber hugged him back as tight as she could.

It wasn't long until Henry heard sobs. Amber rarely cried so he knew that things are much worse than he thought. He said nothing as he her back and just let the girl cry on his shoulder. "This is so stupid." A small laugh came from Amber. "I'm such a mess. Sorry to greet you like this bro." Henry gave a small smile. "That's alright. Sorry I didn't bring boba this time." She smiled and shoved him lightly as she left to get them snacks at the kitchen.

 

 

Henry settled at the foot of the sofa and got himself comfortable with Jack jack on his lap. This was somehow a routine for the both of them except this visit is not as pleasant as the ones before. Henry watched as Amber heated up some noodles and noticed how frail

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter