Fin

Only Fools... (READ CHAPTER 3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Her POV

 

 

I walked away from him on a sunny day. 

The light was almost blinding, no cloud in sight.

It was ironic, to say the least. Every forecast had predicted that it was supposed to rain today. But of course the sun here decided otherwise, shining as brightly as a sun should, mocking my sorrow and shock from last night. I could hear the birds chirping, the children laughing and singing, the busy bustle of the town.

 

For once it my life, I wished it were raining.

 

 

I set my bag down on a bench, close to the misty lake surrounded by woods. This was the only place where it was slightly foggy, where no sunshine reached out to me besides a few cracks between the trees where it peeked through. I sighed and sat down, my guitar clunking on the ground. I took it out of it's case and admired it. It was my own Carvin custom made guitar. I had chosen the design of engraved orchids, delicately surrounding the rim of the instrument and dancing up the neck, reaching the pegs and encircling them. I hugged it close to my body.

“You seem to really like that guitar.”

I turned around to see someone standing behind me. I smiled faintly and the board, placing pressure onto the strings. The feeling of the stranger staring at me gave me a slight paranoia of him. Not a very good first impression.

“I won’t bite.”

His eyes sparkled, or what I could see of it did. I looked down and blushed, slightly embarrassed for thinking he was a weird person. The man walked closer to me and sat down on the ground.

“May I?”

He pointed at the guitar. I handed it over to him and sat back down, trying to act as natural as I could. I watched as he ran his hands over it like a precious artifact. He started strumming some chords, but soon broke out into a piece that was foreign to me. I watched him with fascination, forgetting that he was a stranger. His fingers glided on the neck effortlessly, each string being plucked and strummed with ease.

I swayed as if in a trance. The song itself gave off its own odd vibe, making me fall for it more and more.

Then he changed his choice of a song. I stopped admiring.

 

It was that song.

 

His favorite song.

 

The one that had brought us together.

 

The one he would sing to me at night.

 

Something that I would miss for a lifetime.

 

A song that would be bittersweet until I leave.

 

I knew that I would start crying so I looked away. I felt the tears brim in my eyes. Some slid down my cheeks, but many of them dropped onto the already dewy grass. The music stopped.

“Hey, is there something wrong?”

The guy looked up to see me. I turn around. I covered my face and couldn’t look at him.

“What’s wrong? Did I do something?”

He took my hands away from my face and looked into my glassy eyes. I chuckled shakily.

“I g-guess you were just playing r-really well... B-better than me at least. Yup.”

From his expression, he wasn’t buying my excuse. Letting out a deep sigh, he took me into his arms. I stiffened.

Wait. What?

What was I doing with a total stranger? I literally met him probably about ten minutes ago and here we are, him comforting me. But, strangely I started to relax in his embrace. My breathing became steadier as I hugged him back. 

“Are you feeling better now?”

I felt my eyes starting to tear up again. My hiccups became even worse.

“Sorry.”

“I-It’s okay.”

He held me tighter and we stayed like that, for a while.

 

 

“I’ll see you later.”

He waved goodbye and started to go down the steps of my apartment. I don’t return to my room until the sound of him whistling had faded.

How did I even become friends with that stranger anyway? It all happened so quickly. He entered into my life so quickly I'm afraid he will leave just as fast. I hope not though. He seems like a good person. When he first introduced himself after his comfort session, I knew that this musically talented stranger and I would click well, whether it would be friends or more... Than friends. But that will have to wait for awhile.

I entered into my small apartment and shook my hair out of a ponytail.

“What to do, what to do?”

I plopped down on the couch and the TV. Immediately, a romantic sappy drama played, showing the two mains crying, both in a different corner of two rooms. I flipped the channel to play the celebrity gossip news.

“It was reported today that the famous Kim Taeyeon of SNSD broke up with her one year boyfriend, Byun Baekhyun of EXO. More news will be added-“

Flip.

“Hey! Today’s guest on Running Man is Lee Joongi! Please welcome him warmly!”

Flip.

“I’m sorry that it had to end like this. I wish you the best and I will walk away now.”

The drama that started to play caught my eyes. I watched as the male main starts to walk away, but the female stops him.

“Why? Was it something I did? Something I said?”

The male main smiled sadly.

“No. It was never you. Only Fate said that it was never meant to be.”

And he walks away, leaving the girl to cry her heart out. I heard a drip and felt another tear roll down my cheek. And another.

Quickly, I wiped them away and turned off the television. It was dark and quiet, with no life in it. I slowly walked towards my bed and tucked myself in.

"Stupid dramas," I muttered to myself.

Tick Tock. Tick. Tock. Tick…… Tock……

I couldn’t fall asleep. The steady tick of my clock kept me awake. Finally, I made the effort of getting out of my bed to turn the light on. Rubbing my eyes, I check the time. It was around one in the morning. I groaned and laid back onto my bed, trying to get more comfortable.

What is he doing right now?

I shook my head and tried to get the thought out of my head.

Is he even regretting us?

I tried to go to sleep.

Did he ever dream and hope of a future together with you? Or were you the fool in the unrealistic fantasy you had thought you were in?

I frowned with I felt the tears smart my eyes.

Did he wish for a house on the hills? Nights next to the fire?

It slid down my cheek.

Did he wish for a place you could share together?

I wanted to forget.

Did he even love you?

“Hello?”

“Jimin? Are you there?”

“Hey, what’s wrong?”

“I-I’m sorry about this, but could you come back?”

“…”

“Jimin?”

“Yes, I’ll be there in five. Wait for me.”

The line was cut off and I sat there, shivering in only a t-shirt and shorts. I heard the knocking of my door and I ran over to unlock it.

“Hey-“

I cut him off with a hug. He patted my back awkwardly and chuckled lowly.

“Are you okay?”

I shake my head and guide him to my room. I hand him my guitar and lie down on my bed.

“Can you play something?”

He agreed and started to play a soothing song seemed to wash over me, healing my freshly opened wounds.

 Please don't see
Just a boy caught up in dreams and fantasies
Please see me
Reaching out for someone I can't see

Take my hand, let's see where we wake up tomorrow
Best laid plans sometimes are just a one night stand
I'll be damned, Cupid's demanding back his arrow
So let's get drunk on our tears

And God, tell us the reason youth is wasted on the young
It's hunting season and the lambs are on the run
Searching for meaning
But are we all lost stars trying to light up the dark?

He sets the guitar down and gets up.

“Please don’t leave. Stay today.”

He obliged and took my hand to rub it. He hums and I fall asleep, feeling safe again.


 

 

 

2nd of March, 2011

Jamie's Diary

What a twisted world we live in. Like fools, we only hope as much as we can and never wish for less than more than enough… 21485*&**&*&9432984asidufjasyiodfj02w3410932342$%*)_!!!!!!

 

 

I glared at the bright screen with the ugly letters we call words. Why is so hard to start a story?

I deleted the draft and groaned. Two hours with absolutely no progress at all.

“Ring ring! Hello? Is anyone there?”

I saw him peek in.

“Hey Jimin.”

He grinned and skipped over to give me a hug. I accepted it gratefully. He pulled back and sat on the ground in front of me. I ruffled his hair affectionately and he closed his eyes. I smiled somberly.

“So, whatcha ya doin?”

He tried to wriggle his way to my desk, but I made him sit down again so that I could run my hands through his hair. It was so soft.

“I’m trying to start a new story since my hiatus back in 2013. I’m pretty sure my fans are wondering where I am right now. If I’ve been kidnapped, or if I’ve been just been slacking.”

I wrinkled my nose at the thought of it. Jimin reached out to tap it.

“You’ll cause wrinkles on your face if you keep doing that. That’s why my skin is so clear, unlike your own.”

He winked at me and flipped his hair like a diva.

“Hey!”

I grab the nearest thing to me – a pen – and throw it at him. He manages to dodge it, but the next pen I throw at him hits his eye.

“Ah!”

“Oh my gosh are you okay?!”

I widen my eyes as I watch him cover his eyes and groan. I immediately lean over him and try to uncover his eye.

“Gotcha!”

He covers his eyes and starts to laugh. I start to frown, realizing that he was joking.

“Hey! That wasn’t funny at all!”

I hit his arm, making him grasp his chest in pain.

“The pain! The agony!”

He gasps and keeps acting like he was hurt. I laugh it off and get up. He follows, and together, we stroll out of my apartment, hand in hand.

 

 

“Everyone thinks that we’re a couple,” he whispers in my ear. I shook my head and chuckled as we swung our intertwined hands and strolled down the street. It was foggy today, not like the other days. When it was all sunny and bright. Unlike me.

I can see the people stare and whisper as we pass them. Not that I mind though. The attention just wasn’t needed. I shook my head and kept walking with my head up. I couldn’t let them drag me down too.

We reached an old restaurant that was close to my apartment. I was about to enter when I noticed how a soft glare of the sun surrounded Jimin. I ran my eyes up and down on him.

“Sol, what are you staring at?”

I noticed that he was looking at me. His freshly dyed red hair glistened it the sunlight. I envied how soft it was. I felt my own ratty brown hair.

“Oh, it’s nothing. Just about how your hair was softer than mine,” I joked. He whipped his hair and then struck a pose while smiling greasily, making me laugh.

“Your hair is soft too,” he reasoned, running his hands through my hair. I shook my head and took his hand before walking inside.

 

 

“I used to eat here a lot with him.”

I pointed at our surroundings. It was traditional korean restuaruant, but not a very fancy one. There weren’t many decorations except for a few paintings that dated back a few hundred years ago. I loved and hated it.

“Let’s not talk about him. He’s the past. He wasn’t your fate.”

He took my hand from over the table and squeezed it. I smiled weakly. We dropped the subject and kept eating silently. I tied my hair and gulped down my water.

"Slow down, you might choke!" he chuckled. I frowned and gulped more water down. 

“Hello Mr. Jeon. It’s nice to see you today.”

“You too, Mrs. Kim. I will have the usual.”

I choked and gripped Jimin's fingers.

“Where’s your girlfriend?”

I watched him smile sadly.

“Fate didn’t want us together.”

I started to crush his hand.

“Ow! Sol what’s wrong? I…”

He looks over to what I was staring at. He saw him.

“Is that him?” he spoke lowly. I nodded shakily and let go of his hand. I quickly turned away from his direction and ate quietly. Jimin kept staring at him.

“Stop looking! You’ll make him look at us!” I hissed. He quickly started to stuff his mouth with the appetizers around us. I sipped my soup and tried to stop shaking, but I just couldn't control my movements. I glanced around me while putting my spoon down, but failed to notice as it fell off the table. It landed with a clang. Everyone stopped eating and stared at me. I shrunk, as if it would help me disappear..

I heard another sound coming from his direction. He too had also dropped his utensils and was staring at me. It felt like everything had just...stopped. We stared at each other. My stomach curled up as it twisted into a knot. I got up quickly, causing my chair to scrape against the wooden flooring. Everyone started to murmur around me.

"I'm going to the bathroom. Don't let him come close to me."

I ran towards the hallway that was directed towards the bathroom. From behind, I knew that he would try to follow me, but Jimin would stop him. I locked the door behind me and slid down, tears rolling down my cheeks. My whole body shook as I shivered.

I was a fool… Just a fool who had fallen… Fate was cruel to me.

I couldn’t bear to even look at him anymore. Even second of the time we had together was haunting my mind. Our thoughts. Our pleasure spent together. Each plan we had for our nonexistent future. Everything poured out of me as I cried it out for the second time, hiccupping every now and then.

“Sol?”

I heard a familiar knocking on my door.

“Jimin?”

I unlocked the door to see him there. I immediately embraced him.

“I didn’t know you missed me that much,” he chuckled.

“Where is he?”

My voice was muffled because of the sweater he wore. It smelled like lemon, unlike the other familiar scent I had loved.

“He left after I told him to leave you alone. There’s a small possibility that he might think that we’re dating.”

I shook my head and cried harder, soaking his garment with my salty tears. 

“Ssh, it’s okay. I’m here. I’m here.”

He kept patting my back and rubbing it. I relaxed.

“Are you feeling better now?”

This time, I nod and pull back. I am slightly glad that I hadn’t put on any makeup today. I probably already look really ugly, my eyes bloodshot and my nose running like a river.

“L-let’s go back. Finish eating.”

He makes no reply, but helps me back to my seat. I glance towards the now empty table where he had sat. I place my hands over my face and let out a long sigh.

“Don’t waste the food.”

Jimin winks and keeps eating. I nod and start to shove into my mouth, grateful.

 

 

“Sol! Over here!”

“Melanie!”

I watch my best friend wave at me. I run into her open arms and lift her up off the ground and twirled her around before dropping her back down on the ground.

“Whoa, didn’t know you missed me that much!”

She giggled and I pouted. Arm in arm, we walked out of the airport and into the nearest café where we ordered two mocha cappaccinos. Then she sat me down at one of the tables and glared at me expectantly.

“What?”

“Oh. I just can’t believe that my best friend didn’t tell me that she had broken up with her longtime boyfriend of five years!”

“It’s nothing really.”

Our order came and I sipped the sweet foamy substance slowly, blowing on the hot liquid every now and then.

“How is not a big deal! You said you love him.”

“Loved him,” I corrected her. She groaned and took a large gulp of her drink before accidentally choking. I got up and patted her back before sitting back down.

“I don’t really know though. I only want to say that I’m trying to get over him. It was a long five years.”

“But seriously, how did you last that long? I had been wondering about that the whole flight back from Switzerland!”

“I-I just don’t know… I would prefer not to talk about it.”

 “Hey, Sol?! Come on, don’t cry. The Sol I knows doesn’t cry.”

She walks over to give me a large bear hug. I accept it gratefully.

“Come on! You still got me! I’m your best friend! Someone irreplace-“

My phone rang, interrupting our session of talking. I look at the screen.

“Pick it up.”

I nod and swipe the screen.

“Hello?”

“Hey Sol! Whatcha doin?”

“Oh not mu-"

“Great! I’m gonna go to your place.”

“I’m out Jimin.”

“Jimin?!”

Melanie’s voice echoes throughout the shop. For the second time in a week, everyone stares at me. I shake my head and sigh. I could almost see Jimin's smirk from the other end of the line.

“I’m not at home.”

“Yes, I can tell. Who’s with you?”

“My best friend who just got back from Europe.”

“Oh… Where are you? I can pick you up.”

“It’s okay, I’ll just take a tax-“

“Just let him get you. I have leave soon anyways.”

She beckons me to accept his proposal.

“O-Oh, okay then. I’m at Café Bene. See you soon.”

I hang up and she starts glaring at me accusedly. I shrug.

“Hey, we’re not dating. Though I’m pretty sure Jungkook thinks we are.”

We stay silent until Jimin runs through the door. I wave at him to come towards me.

“Oh Sol! Hey…. Person.”

He looks at Melanie and frowned.

“Is this your friend that shouted my name?”

“Best friend,” she corrected him.

“Yup.”

I nod and he grinned.

“Okay then. Well it’s nice to meet you… Person.”

“It’s Melanie. Melanie Byun. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have leave. I have an appointment at four. Bye Sol and don’t forget to use protection!”

And with that, she left. Jimin and I look at each other.

“She’s queer.”

 

 

“Hey.”

“Hey.”

He greeted me in front of my gate.

“It’s been a while.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter