Chapter 1.

A Video Game.

It is a very well-known fact that Chanyeol is a gamer. A very good one at that.

It is also very well-known that Baekhyun isn’t. In fact, Chanyeol doubts he ever picked up a controller in his life. Thanks to Kyungsoo, Chanyeol is able to observe Baek without seeming suspicious. Kyungsoo is Baekhyun’s roommate and he would often invite Chanyeol to play some video games whenever he felt like it. And honestly, he mostly goes to see Baekhyun rather than play some games with Kyungsoo.

Today was no exception.

Chanyeol sat on the floor shoving some kind of gummy candy in his mouth as he partially listened to Chen – Kyungsoo’s friend – discuss a game strategy to help them win against the opposing team. He nodded occasionally to what Chen was saying. He heard this plan a million times and he’s sick of it. The only reason why he doesn’t tell Chen that he already knows is because like this, he looks busy. Kai, however, was listening intently since he’s a beginner.

“So, what should we do if we had a surprise attack?” Kai asked Chen who lit up at the question.

“Excellent question!” He said excitedly and diverted all his attention to Kai. “First of all, you have to…” And this is where Chanyeol stopped listening and took the chance to glance back at the only reason he puts up with his noob friends.

Baekhyun.

Baekhyun was a ball of energy. He was outgoing and loved to tease his friends relentlessly. Surprisingly, he was also a bit of a bookworm. Anybody who looks at Baekhyun will think that it’s impossible for him to sit at one place for more than five seconds, let alone have the patience to read a book. Yet, here he was curled up in a ball and biting his lips as he read attentively. Sometimes, he’d smile whenever he reads something funny, and when he does that…

Well, Chanyeol is glad his heart could take it without giving out.

It was awfully adorable and he just can’t take it anymore. He wants to ask Baekhyun out so bad that literally everyone knows about it. Even Kai who is more oblivious than a wood plank. It made him wonder if Baekhyun knew about his crush, too, and was pretending not to notice because he’s uninterested. It’s a depressing thought – which is very unlike him to have – but it was also plausible. He hated it when he thought like that.

It makes him cast his eyes down and look away. It also makes that little smile that only appears when he look at Baek falter. It is sad, and he’s not good at handling sadness very well. Or maybe it’s just hopelessness. He’s not sure. The only thing he’s sure about is how unpleasant it feels like to not being able to be with whoever you want to be with.

He decided to give up for now and return back to his friends who were still discussing the game. As soon as Kyungsoo came back with snacks, they all started playing the game to Chanyeol’s relief.

If he listened to Chen explaining more things to Kai, he was sure that he was going to throw himself out of the nearest window. At least now he can let out his frustrations on the players in the game. He’ll be merciless.

And he was. He contributed to half of the score they got, and while he was actually an avid gamer, he was usually laid back and would let some of the players get a few kills every now and then out of pity. It wasn’t like he was a gamer god – some players actually do pose a challenge – but he really needed to just kill something.

He’s pretty sure that killing in real life wouldn’t end well, so he’s grateful for the gaming session. Kyungsoo, however, didn’t look too happy and pulled Chanyeol out of the apartment when everybody left.

“What was that?” He hissed. “You killed everyone including me! Do you know how many points that cost me?”

“Uh, sorry?” Chanyeol said rubbing the back of his head guiltily. “I was not thinking.”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and sighed. “What is it? What did Baek do this time? Sneeze?”

“Yes, and his snot was majestic.” Chanyeol replied sarcastically making Kyungsoo raise an eyebrow at him. “No, D.O., It wasn’t that.”

Kyungsoo looked at him thoughtfully and crossed his arms. “You seemed a bit angry though. Now that I think about it.”

“Frustrated.”

“Ah, Frustrated.” Kyungsoo snorted.

“I just, what if he knows I like him but he doesn’t like me back, and he’s just ignoring me?” Chanyeol blurted out.

Kyungsoo was a bit taken aback and he looked at Chanyeol with his wide round eyes. “Oh.” He said in realization. He knew something was wrong with his friend, and he knew it had to do with Baek – it almost always does – but he didn’t know exactly what. Now that he knows, he placed a hand on Chanyeol’s shoulder and looked at him straight in the eyes before he broke down in laughter.

Chanyeol was staring at him in shock because Kyungsoo almost never laughs. Heck, he rarely smiles!

Kyungsoo, however, wiped a tear from his face and tried to calm himself down resulting in giggles. “Sorry, sorry.” He held his heads up before letting out a laugh again. “It’s just, Baek is actually an idiot. Really, he is. He has no idea that you like him.” He said patting Chanyeol on his back.

“He… doesn’t?”

“Not a clue, giant.”

And that’s how Kyungsoo managed to restore whatever confidence Chanyeol had left.

That’s how Chanyeol found himself thinking of ways on how to ask Baekhyun out. However, when he found himself at loss he decided to visit an old friend of his and ask for some ideas.

Chanyeol barged in his friend’s dorm room surprising his friend and making him drop his phone. “Suho!” He said walking in and smiling happily. “How are you?”

Suho glared at Chanyeol and picked up his phone before muttering an answer. “Fine.” He said examining his phone for any damages. When he found none, he brought his attention back to the giant who was just standing there in the middle of the room looking lost. He was still smiling though. “What can I do to get you out of my room?” Suho sighed.

“I need your help.” Chanyeol whined sitting on Suho’s bed. “I like this person, but I don’t know how to ask them out.”

Suho nodded and checked his phone for any messages obviously distracted before what Chanyeol said hit him.

“You like someone?” He asked the giant in genuine shock.

“I’m pretty sure that’s what I just said.”

“It’s not another game character, is it?” Suho asked still not believing what he was hearing.

“No. It’s a real person this time.” Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “So, got any ideas?”

It took Suho some time to let the fact that Chanyeol actually liked someone to sink in. His friend was always obsessed with some game and it took over most of his life. So him coming here telling Suho that he actually managed to developed a crush on someone really surprised him… in a good way. It’s a good thing that Chanyeol finally found something – or in this case, someone – interesting other than a video game.

“Let me guess, they like video games.” Suho said with an idea already formed in his head. He was going to suggest they go on a date in-game or something. He was focusing on games because he knew it’s what Chanyeol liked, but when his friend shook his head he was, yet again, surprised.

“They don’t really play games.” Chanyeol huffed playing with a random object he found on the floor.

Suho realized that Chanyeol had a serious crush.

Suho cleared his throat. “Okay then, what do they like?”

“They read a lot.”

A sudden idea formed in Suho’s head as he smiled mischievously. He knows that Chanyeol barley reads anything and prefers movies over books, so impressing his crush with some book knowledge wasn’t really an option. Still, who said Chanyeol couldn’t lie? It always worked for Suho.

“All you got to do, Chanyeol, is talk to them and pretend you know what the book their reading is talking about.” He said clasping his hands together. “Simple.”

“Isn’t that lying?”

“Yes, but for a good cause.”

“You’re a genius.” Chanyeol said standing up abruptly. “Thanks, Suho.” He said running out of the door in excitement. Suho shrugged and went back to texting his friends. “You’re welcome.” He muttered a late response even though his friend is long gone.

It took days for Chanyeol to gather enough courage to face Baekhyun. He thought a lot before he decided to finally do it, and now all he has to do is go find Baekhyun. Things didn’t go as planned when Baekhyun was the one who found him.

Like the idiot that he is, Chanyeol was standing in the middle of the hall trying to think of a place that Baekhyun would most likely be. He was probably thinking too hard that he summoned Baekhyun because he suddenly appeared in front of Chanyeol and was smiling brightly. “Hi!” He greeted the dazed giant. “You’re D.O.’s friend, Chanyeol, right?”

“Uh, yeah.” Chanyeol nodded dumbly.

“Perfect timing. Can you help me real quick?”

“Sure.” Chanyeol nodded again. He was not believing that Baekhyun was talking to him right now. They never really talked much, and this is the most that Baek had ever said to him. It was sad, and he knows it.

Baekhyun, however, explained that he was doing a project and he had to carry it to his and Kyungsoo’s apartment but their mutual friend wasn’t present – Chanyeol was very thankful for his absence – so he only got Chanyeol to help him. Of course, Chanyeol agreed… maybe a little bit too quickly. The things Chanyeol had to carry weren’t really that heavy, not to him, so it wasn’t really a problem.

Actually, it wasn’t a problem at all.

He got to stare at Baek chatting away as they walked side-by-side. It felt a bit weird to see Baekhyun this close looking so animated. Weird, but pleasant. Chanyeol wished that the distance to the apartment was twice as long, but sadly they arrived a little bit too fast for Chanyeol’s liking. Baek, however, didn’t seem to mind as he took the things from Chanyeol’s hand.

“Thanks, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun smiled up at him.

Another thing that Chanyeol noticed was how small Baek was compared to him. Chanyeol thought that Baek couldn’t get any more adorable, but Baekhyun kept on proving him wrong. It was tiring, really, and it made it harder for Chanyeol to stop staring and feeling things. He could’ve admitted all that right to Baekhyun at that moment since they were alone, but he decided against it. It’s time for him to leave before he does anything stupid.

“You’re welcome.” He grinned heading for the door.

A hand grabbed his arm and Chanyeol’s heart leapt. “Don’t leave.” Baekhyun pouted. “At least not yet.” Baek smiled sheepishly. Chanyeol stayed since he didn’t want to leave in the first place and looked at Baekhyun curiously.

“Need anything else?”

“No, I just wanted to thank you in some way.”

“I can think of plenty ways.” Chanyeol murmured to himself.

“Sorry?”

“There’s no need.” Chanyeol coughed. “Really.”

Baekhyun sighed and was about to nod, but then his eyes landed on the gaming console. “Do you want me to at least play a game with you? You seem bored.”

Chanyeol didn’t need to think much about it since it meant that he got to spend some time alone with Baekhyun, so his answer was obvious. “Yes, I’d like that!” This made Baekhyun grin and nod leading them both to the TV screen. He looked at the game options for a minute before he looked up at Chanyeol with a thoughtful look. “Why don’t we make it more interesting?”

Confused, Chanyeol tilted his head. “How?”

“If I win, you do what I want for a whole week.” Baekhyun smiled mischievously.

Chanyeol couldn’t stop himself when he said what he said. “Then if I win, you go out with me.”

He regretted it instantly when he said it, but he can’t take it back now. Baekhyun, however, looked a little bit shocked before he nodded. “Deal. Buy you have to know that I take these challenges seriously.”

“Alright.” Chanyeol nodded feeling smug. He’s so sure that he’s going to win. Baekhyun has no chance against him. “I’ll let you pick the game.” He said trying to keep it fair. He knew it wasn’t really fair for Baekhyun since he hardly plays any games, but it’s his gain so he won’t complain much.

Baekhyun picked the game and it was something that Chanyeol was very familiar with. He didn’t know what to expect when they started the game, but Baek was a little bit naïve for thinking that hi stood a chance against him. Just as he predicted, Baekhyun was very bad at the game. A beginner.

It didn’t take long for Chanyeol to win, and the scored were displayed very clearly on the screen. He was considering taking back what he said about Baek going out with him since it didn’t feel right. He thought maybe Baekhyun didn’t really want to, but all Baek did was huff at the screen and smile sheepishly at him.

“I guess I’m your boyfriend now.” Baekhyun chuckled rubbing the back of his head.

“I guess.” Chanyeol said nodding.

“This is an interesting way to ask people out, though.” Baekhyun remarked.

Chuckling, Chanyeol nodded in agreement. “Yeah.”

“So,”

“So,”

“I’m expecting you to take me on a date tomorrow.” Baekhyun said shutting down the game console. “I really, really want to go to the pet store.”

Saying no to someone as cute as Baekhyun was impossible for Chanyeol who nodded to everything Baekhyun said. He couldn’t believe that he wasn’t dreaming. This only happened in his wildest dreams. They stayed for a while chatting about useless stuff before it got too late. It still didn’t quite feel like they’re dating – they’ve just started – and the way they talked felt a bit too normal. No flirting or anything like that. Not until the end.

“When do I pick you up?” Chanyeol asked standing by the door.

Baekhyun looked at him thoughtfully before smiling at him in a way that made his heart melt. He was caught by surprise when he was suddenly pulled down by his shirt. Before he had time to react, Baekhyun’s lips was against his. The kiss lasted a while before they broke apart, both of them not wanting to part just yet.

“Six sounds good.” Baekhyun said suddenly feeling shy.

The kiss was a bold move on his part, and it left him feeling flustered. He was known to be very outgoing and daring, but that didn’t mean that he doesn’t feel shy, as well. Especially after something like that.

“Six. Got it.” Chanyeol repeated with a wide smile on his face. Seeing Baekhyun turn red made him realize he wasn’t the only one who’s a nervous. “I’ll see you then.” He said giving Baek a peck on the check before leaving. Baekhyun closed the door when he did and slid down on the floor with a very bright red face.

“I don’t know which one to pick.” Baekhyun groaned staring at the fish swimming around. They were all colourful and pretty, but he could only buy one… or two if he begged hard enough. He and Chanyeol have been dating for a while now and they decided to go to the pet store again – where their first date was. It was amazing, and he bought a clown fish he called Vince.

He thought that Vince was a little bit lonely so he decided to get a friend for him.

“What do you think, Yeol?” He asked still trying to decide.

“I like the blue one.”

“It’s too blue.”

“How about the red one?”

“The one with the white stripe or-”

“Baek…” Chanyeol sighed.

“Sorry.” He mumbled pouting. “I’ll take the blue one.”

Glad that his boyfriend finally decided on something, Chanyeol wasted no time in snatching Baek out before he decided to get a cat or something. Kyungsoo would be so angry at the both if he did. “I think I’ll name it Olive.” Baekhyun said holding Olive’s bag. “It’s cute.” Chanyeol smiled opening the door for Baek who immediately dropped Olive in Vince’s bowl.

Chanyeol’s eyes landed on the game console smiled when he remembered that day where he asked Baekhyun out.

As soon as Baek walked out of the kitchen, Chanyeol pulled him for a kiss making him giggle a bit. “Thanks for taking me again.” Baekhyun said pulling him for another kiss. “No problem.” Chanyeol replied when they parted. “Remember that game?” he gestured at the console.

Baekhyun bit his lip and glanced at the game console before he looked back at his tall boyfriend. “About that…” He said looking to the side guiltily. “There’s something I need to tell you.”

“What?” Chanyeol asked frowning in confusion.

Baekhyun didn’t say anything as he let go of Chanyeol and the TV screen. He then put the game and waited for it to load. Chanyeol watched in curiosity as Baekhyun went to the high scores. When Chanyeol looked at the screen, he understood everything.

“W-what?”

Baekhyun stuck his tongue out and winked at him.

“You little…” Chanyeol rolled his eyes trying, but failing, to hide his smile. He walked up to Beak, wrapped his arms around his waist and pulled him to the couch so he can kiss him without having to bend down. Baekhyun welcomed the kiss as he put his arms around Chanyeol’s neck, pulling him closer. He moaned when his boyfriend’s hand slid under his shirt and his hand trailed down Chanyeol’s clothed back with his fingers knotting in the fabric when Chanyeol moved his attention to his neck.

Both of them ignored the screen which displayed Baekhyun’s name being on the top with the highest score.

So basically, Baekhyun let Chanyeol win.

He is so glad that he did.