Comeback When You Hear This Song

Comeback When You Hear This Song

It is the night before May 20th, the day that is going to change the group dynamic forever. Together with her best buddies from China, the Chinaline is gathered in a café where they used to hangout.

The night started out like any other gathering. Eating, drinking, taking pictures with one another. But the 4 of them knew, it would probably be last time that they will be doing this with all of them present. By the next day, JYPE will be announcing Jia’s departure from the group as her contract with the said company came to an end, and she will be heading back to China to develop as a solo artist. However, for Fei, she would be staying in Korea due to her rising popularity in the foreign country, separating the two sisters of different blood.

It was a bittersweet night as they drank the cups of beer they ordered.

“Cheers!” all 4 of them said in Chinese.

Fei started gulping down the beer as she wanted to get drunk so that there would be a reason for her tears later on.

Jia eyed on the older girl wearily, before looking back to Zhoumi with concern over her face. Soon, attention was on Fei, who was still drinking on her cup.

“Slow down jiejie, the night is still young.” Jia said in Chinese.

“Nonono I can’t. I’m prepared to get drunk. I have nothing on tomorrow anyways.” Fei assured.

“Jia is right, you need to control Fei. Or else you would be missing out on the rest of the night!” Zhoumi persuaded.

Cao Lu nodded her head in agreement.

Upon hearing what Zhoumi said, Fei relented.

It was hours after they started their little gathering. And despite finishing bottles of beer, all of them are still rather sober.

“Why must you leave?” Fei asked.

“Because I want to achieve more jiejie. I am not contented with what I have now. And going back to China is the best way for me to do so. Staying in JYPE or in Korea will not do anything to help my current popularity.” Jia explained.

“Then I shall go with you!” Fei whined.

“No you can’t! You have so many opportunities in Korea unlike me. You should take the chance to buy your parents something or pay for your brother’s tuition fees!”

“But living in Korea will be so lonely without you.” Fei said, with tears welling up in her eyes.

“I can’t do this! You have been here with me for the past 10 years! You are here when I miss my family, you are here to celebrate the festivities, you are here when we first heard on the news of our debut, and you are here whenever I insisted to practise for our comebacks. Without you, how can I survive?!” Fei continued, as she broke down.

Cao Lu rubbed Fei’s back comforting her.

By now, Jia couldn’t hold her tears any longer as she embraced Fei into a hug and the both of them cried together.

Seeing this scene, Zhoumi couldn’t help but shed a few tears either. Even though he knew Jia and Fei long enough, but the bond the two girls made over the 10 years was incomparable. He was just a best friend the two girls had, where they occasionally had heart-to-heart talks with, but seeing the reason for Fei’s tears, he could definitely relate.

Soon enough, the four of them hugged together and cried their hearts out on their last gathering.

Away from the crying fest was Min, in her room together with her dogs, Danchu and Bobo. Mind filled with sadness as weight filled her heart, she was feeling depressed all night. The day that she dreaded was coming. Tomorrow.

“Min Youngie, I am going out for a while, stay at home and be a good girl!” her grandmother shouted from the living room.

“Okay grandma!” she replied.

Finally. Upon hearing the sounds of the door closing, Min couldn’t take it any longer. She broke down.

Hearing the news 2 weeks ago, Min have been feeling rather distracted. At first, she could take the news quite well, until a few days ago when reality hit her. She started feeling depressed and moody, even though she tried to remain cheerful which is evident from her SNS. This is how Min treat her sadness. She wouldn’t let anybody see it or feel it. But only one person could. Jia.

Both Jia and Min were partners in crime, they do weird things together, discuss about weird topics that Fei and Suzy never understood, they do quarrel at times, but would always reconcile quickly after. They grew close after they debuted because of their close , and they aren’t the youngest nor the oldest. Thus giving lots of headaches to Fei and several eye-rolling moments due to their childishness from Suzy.

Jia was always the first person who could feel that Min was feeling sad, and is always the one who will be comforting her. From times when she felt useless in the company, to when she was criticised badly for her weight, Jia is always there. And now that she is leaving, it is as if Min lost a pillar for her to fall back other than her family.

Now that she started crying, she couldn’t stop. She was bawling her eyes out, and her dogs her tears, as if they knew about her feelings. Feeling their presence, Min grabbed the both of them for a hug while crying until she needed more air.

She couldn’t even face the older girl upon hearing news of her leaving. She is angry, upset, and happy. Angry for Jia leaving her alone, upset because she didn’t have anyone to lean on, and happy because Jia found a better future. It was a mixture of feelings that she felt so confused. But still, she set her mind on sending her a text to the group chat for the group.

Even though it was created six years ago, the purpose of the group chat has evolved over the years. From cracking nonsensical jokes between the members, it has now turned out to be business related messages to the group chat. Gone were the days where the four girls played with one another.

In another part of Seoul, the youngest of the group just got home from a gathering with the Architecture 101 cast mates. Knowing what is going to happen the next day, Suzy’s mood was a little off than usual. She wasn’t the 4D girl that joked around with them, but rather the quiet one who is actually the opposite of her personality. This got the others asking her if she is alright, but she brushed it off saying that it was her time of the month. But it isn’t.

She would be lying if she said she isn’t sad about Jia’s departure. No doubt they drifted over the years due to little to minimal comebacks per year and she was busy with her schedules to hangout with them, but Jia is the older sister she never had. Being the oldest in her family, she treated her three unnies like her sisters, whining and acting cute to get what she wanted in the past. Fei would usually tell her a stern no, while Min would usually be the one to whine together with her. Only Jia would give in to the maknae and that never changed even today.

It was during the Only You promotions period where she tried her old antics. She aegyoed her way to let Jia give up her last candy. And to her surprise, it still worked after so many years of not using it. Jia gave it to her with a warm smile like always before patting her head like a little girl.

Jia is always very supportive towards Suzy. From her drama in 2013 that got Jia head over heels, to the recent support she gave by going to the cinema to watch her movie last year. It was enough to show that while they drifted, those sister-like relationship never changed. Jia treated Suzy like the younger sister she never had, while Suzy treated Jia like the older sister she always wanted.

Turning on the shower, Suzy finally let her guilt of her popularity over-shining her unnies washing over her as she cried. She may not see her favourite unnie ever again, or it may be a very long time before they can see each other faces, and the future of miss A seems really cloudy at the moment. She knew her unnies never blamed her. She knew her unnies always supported her, and she felt guilty for all that has happened to the group, even after much persuading from the other three that it isn’t her fault. But she still felt the responsibility that is happening.

After calming down and washing up, Suzy felt a ring on her phone, and saw the notification coming from a group chat that hasn’t been active for the past year.

Min: Jia unnie, I know you are leaving for China tomorrow, and we might not be able to see one another until a few years ever again. I have so much to say, but I don’t know where to start. Thank you for being there for me when I needed help. Thank you for playing along with me for my childish games. All of these meant a lot to me. I don’t know how am I going to cope without you, but I will try. We will always be 4 and will always be miss A. Hopefully, when you listen to our debut song, you will come back to us again. But I know it won’t be true, just try not to forget us.

That’s it. Suzy broke down again, with tears welling up in her eyes, she typed her own message.

Suzy: Jia unnie… Fei unnie… Min unnie… I don’t what to say to you all… I have been feeling really sorry. All of you trained so hard and so long to get debuted, only to get over-shined by me. But I am really thankful for all of your support. Without the three of you, there won’t be miss A, there won’t be me. Thank you all so much. I’m so sorry Jia unnie. I can’t even say my goodbye to you in person. You will always be my favourite unnie, thank you for supporting me so much. Thank you for giving in to me every time. Thank you for being my sister. And like what Min unnie said, please come back to us, or at least give us a message whenever you hear our debut song.

Their phones rang again, indicating another message.

Fei: For the past 10 years, you have always been there. Now that you are not, I will try to get used to it. You know how I feel. Thank you for these 10 years. We wish you luck on your future endeavours, good luck Meng Jia, and… goodbye!

It took about an hour before the phone rang again.

Jia: Came back and received these messages before crying again. I had to calm myself down before typing these down. I will definitely miss all of you and I will never forget you. These 6 years have been tough, but I am really glad to have you with me. It was a difficult choice to make, but I am sure I will be happier this way. I will cheer for all of you when I get back and I will give you all a call whenever I hear Bad Girl Good Girl again. miss A will always be in my heart!

With that, as the night comes to an end, the four girls cried their hearts out in their respective homes, saying goodbye to a memory that has forged friendships, and history. 

 

A/N: it is such a coincidence that i have written 1989 words for this... thats jia's birth year... im still accepting the fact that miss A will be three from now on... but i guess i will..... one day.....