Knowing You

All my Lives

---

10:45. It was 10:45 in the morning and Seungcheol had his eyes trained on the door. He tried to distract himself, tried to be productive, tried literally everything he could to keep himself from burning holes into their already rickety door, but alas, his anticipation was too great for him to control. 10:45. Any minute now, that door would-

“You’re being pathetic. Again.”

Seungcheol let out a grunt as Jihoon walked past him, holding a large chocolate cake freshly iced and ready for display.

“I’m not being pathetic, I’m just waiting,”

“Waiting for someone you only think will come?” Jihoon asked, wiping is hands on his apron after propping the cake on one of their many pedestals. He glanced around idly, noting that at least the coffee shop wasn’t too busy. There were a couple of students here and there, some of their patrons seated by the windows with their usual orders in hand, and of course, the two tabbies Seungcheol had adopted and begged for Jihoon to keep, perched on one of their sofas.

“He’s been coming in at 10:45 for the past few weeks, I’m almost positive he’ll show up.” Seungcheol defended, leaning against the counter with a pout. Jihoon rolled his eyes and sighed.

“As I said. Pathetic.”

Their coffee shop was a cozy one, to say the least. Seungcheol had been helping Jihoon run it to pay part of his rent, but he could easily and happily admit that he did enjoy working there. It was a small nook that attracted hipster college students that used words Seungcheol didn’t understand and wore glasses that most definitely weren’t used to improve their eyesight. It was a fun business to be in and to make matters sweeter, Seungcheol didn’t mind the extra tips (It’s the dimple, Jihoon! I’m telling you it’s the dimple!).

10:48. Where was he?

Seungcheol pressed his lips together in thought before pushing himself off the counter, deciding that despite the fact that he was Jihoon’s bestest friend and flatmate, the pink-haired boy would probably not hesitate to fire him if he were to continue to slack off. Especially if Cheol’s reason were to be because he was waiting for the love of his life to walk through said rickety door.

Cling! Cling!

Okay so maybe he was a little pathetic, and maybe he did give himself a whiplash for turning his head so quickly, but it couldn’t be helped. “Sorry lover boy, normally I would be offended by the look of absolute disappointment on your face at seeing that it was just little old me, but I’ll let it slide considering how pathetic you look.” The newcomer drawled, hopping onto the counter with a shrug, only to hop back down at the sight of Jihoon and the terrifyingly unimpressed glare he had on his face.

“You know, we should really start banning you from this place. You’re just here to mooch off of our internet and terrorize my cats. You don’t even buy anything!” It was a cheap comeback and Seungcheol knew it, but really, he was probably starting to believe that maybe he was being just a little bit pathetic. Seungkwan shot him a bored look before shrugging his shoulders and taking out his wallet.

“I wouldn’t be so rude to me. Jeonghan asked me to order him something in advanced so that we can have our coffee ready for when we start sketching.” Seungkwan had to smirk at the way Seungcheol tensed.

“Ah, so that’s his name. Coups-hyung’s been pretty secretive about it.” Jihoon commented as he moved to stand beside Seungkwan, moving the basket of free-samples away from the younger’s wandering hands. Seungkwan pouted before nodding his head. “First, lol because Coups, and second, yes, Jeonghan-hyung’s my classmate for landscaping. He’s also been telling me about this cute but creepy barista that gives him too much foam in his coffee. I only assumed it was you, hyung. I guess you proved me right.”

Jihoon let out a small ‘huh’ before leaving the two be, moving to cater to the few customers that they had that day. Seungkwan began to rattle on about this and that after Jihoon’s departure, but Seungcheol was far too distracted to notice. He opened his mouth, then closed it, then opened it again, letting out a small gasp and turning to Seungkwan with a giddy smile.

“Wait, he thinks I’m cute?”

Seungkwan stopped mid-tirade, only to furrow his brows and cross his arms in a huff. “Are you serious? That’s all you got out from that?” He rolled his eyes before slamming down a 5000 won and ordering two ridiculously complicated orders that usually, Seungcheol wouldn’t have even attempted to make, but the obviously distracted haze he was in put him in a good mood.

He thinks I’m cute.

---

11:00, and still no sign of Jeonghan. Honestly, he was starting to get a little impatient. Seungkwan had promised him he was on his way, but Seungcheol didn’t find him all too reliable when it came to Jeonghan related matters (he’s been opening and closing their door one two many times on purpose because he found Seungcheol’s whiplash to be incredibly entertaining. Sadist.).

“What are you going to do when he comes?” Jihoon finally asked. Seungcheol turned to Jihoon and paused because really, what was he going to do?

“I don’t know? Make him more coffee?” Jihoon let out a tired sigh before shaking his head and putting down his piping bag. “Hyung, I say this because I care about you-“ his best friend was such a puppy, the immediate smile on his face had Jihoon rolling his eyes fondly “-but you have got to stop pining and start actually getting to know the guy.” Seungcheol’s smile fell, only to be replaced by a defeated pout.

“Well, I kind of know him!” Jihoon raised a brow, silently challenging him to proceed. Seungcheol let out a long breath before tapping his chin thoughtfully.

“I know that he likes his coffee black, but for some odd reason, his orders get so complicated it borders insane.” Seungcheol supplied. Jihoon was confused for a moment, trying to piece what Seungcheol said together. “I know he likes it black because he almost always never finishes what he orders. Instead, he switches with one of his friends. I never really understood it either, don’t ask.” Seungcheol’s smile grew fond as his hands moved to play with the strings of his apron.

“I know he prefers watercolor over pencils. I know he likes the rain, you can tell with the way he looks at it, how he gravitates towards the window when the skies get dark. I kow he doesn’t like cats, but tries to because the twins like him.” He gestures to the two cats lazing on their sofa before pausing again. “I… I kinda know him.”

“You know, you’re really lucky you’re cute, or else I would have found this particularly awkward.”

11:15. The exact moment Seungcheol’s heart probably stopped beating. Jihoon let out a satisfied smirk as Seungcheol turned around with wide eyes allowing his best friend to shrug his shoulders and move away, giving himself a mental pat on the back for being so clever.

Jeonghan chuckled at the obvious distress in Seungcheol’s eyes, the quick stammered out excuses tumbling out of his mouth as he busied himself with whatever was on the counter.

Cute.

“ I… Observing people… It’s a bad habit.” Seungcheol finished lamely, covering his face with his hands. Jeonghan let out another laugh, shrugging his shoulders in a show of nonchalance (when in reality, he was nowhere near noncha-ing-lance). They stood in silence for a while before Jeonghan finally spoke up.

“I order Mingyu’s order for him. My friend? He orders my coffee while I order his.” Seungcheol tilted his head to the side in confusion only to have Jeonghan grin at him cheekily. “It’s because that way I get to spend more time with you. It’s a pretty cheap shot, but beggars can’t be choosers, right?”

Seungcheol was pretty sure his ears were on fire.

“I know you don’t like coffee and that you’re more of a tea person. I heard you giving tea recommendations to an elderly lady a couple of days ago.” Jeonghan began, keeping his eyes trained on the granite counter separating them. “I know you probably don’t like the rain as much as I do, not when you look so happy to see the sun. I know you slip some kids free cookies when your friend isn’t watching. I know you try to sneak in some reading time during your breaks and slow days, and I know…” Jeonghan looked at their large wall clock before turning back to Seungcheol with a smile. “That I come in at 10:45 every morning just to see you.”

Seungcheol stood absolutely dumbfounded. This was actually happening. This was actually happening and he had no idea what to say.

“It’s 11:30.” Yeah, you’re a genius.

Jeonghan nodded his head slowly before clearing his throat and running a hand through his hair before pushing up his glasses (those glasses that did nothing to aid his eyesight but did everything to make Seungcheol’s knees go weak).

“It took me 45 minutes to convince myself that this was a good idea.”

Seungcheol didn’t have time to ask what exactly was the idea, but only because the next thing he knew, he was tasting coffee and peppermint, his nose breathing in the sweet smell of fresh canvas and rainfall, his lips pressed against Jeonghan’s in a kiss definitely awkward due to the counter between them, but still just as perfect as he imagined it to be. It took him half a beat before he managed to gather his senses and kiss back, his hands slipping through the younger’s hair with such tenderness that Jeonghan couldn’t help but smile against Seungcheol’s lips.

“Oh god, get a room! There’s no need to remind the rest of us we’re lonely!”

Seungcheol chuckled as he pulled away, resting his forehead against Jeonghan’s, brushing his nose against his playfully.

“So… you think I’m cute?”

“Oh god, you really are pathetic.”

“Only for you, babe.”

“I think I gagged a little.” They all knew Seungkwan was happy for them too.

---

twitter: @ehyocoups
tumblr: ehyocoups

I hope you enjoyed this one! I'm attempting to write happier things. I have the next few AUs planned out, but do tell me the AUs /you'd/ like to see!

xxx Ange