Stay Overnight

Stay Overnight
Please log in to read the full chapter

Doctor Shim was being followed—still being followed. He had been able to ignore the presence behind him, but he couldn’t anymore; he isn’t able to concentrate anymore. He had already misplaced his stethoscope twice, and he almost gave the wrong IV prescription to one of his patients. That could have ended tragically, but he was able to notice on time.

He was starting to get annoyed; Doctor Shim was getting tired of this individual following him around like a lost child. It seemed that he wouldn’t leave him alone until he consent his request.

It was 8:30pm. Visiting hours were over long ago, but this person was still behind him following his every move. He wasn’t giving up.

Thankfully, it seemed like he had lost him for he had not seen him for a few minutes. Doctor Shim sighed, taking a breath and feeling the joy of being alone. He took the documents of his next patient and continued with his work and he heard them. The steps of a certain person following him, again. He couldn’t deal with it anymore.

He stopped in his tracks, and hastily turned around to face a not-so-surprised man. It was pissing him off. “Listen, uh…” He trailed off, finding a correct word to call this young man by.

“Taemin,” The young boy finished his sentence for him as he crossed his arms in front of his chest.

“—Taemin. As I already said, you cannot be here. Come back tomorrow.” Doctor Shim said, fixing up his white coat. He tried to look authoritarian, and then maybe this boy, Taemin, would finally leave.

“No,” He said. He looked up at him, as the doctor was slightly taller than him. Taemin looked determined, even more than Doctor Shim who was very determined into making him leave.

The doctor took a deep breath. He was used to stubborn visitors; he knows how to deal with them in a calmed manner. But this man… This man was another case. Doctor Shim could feel his blood boiling. “Mr. Choi’s condition does not allow any stay-in visitors. It’s for his safety--,”

Doctor Shim stopped his talking as Taemin’s smirk confused him. “For his safety, I am staying. He detests hospitals, and hates being alone when he is going through pain. If you do not want to see your patient breaking a window or something, I’d suggest you to let me stay overnight.” He finished with a smile, making the older man’s eye twitch in annoyance.

He laughed. “You are openly disrespecting me and…” When he put his gaze back on the boy, his words died down. “You simply do not care.”

Taemin nodded in approval. Doctor Shim chuckled, totally impressed with Taemin’s calm behavior and persistence. “Alright, you can stay. Only for tonight, though.”

Taemin bowed, showing his gratefulness to the man. He stood back up and said, “We will talk tomorrow about that.” Taemin turned around, and left.

Doctor Shim laughed, dumbfounded. “Unbelievable!”

 

[…]

 

Taemin quietly opened the door to the room 220, not wanting to make much noise and wake Minho up if he was asleep. As he walked further into the room, he was able to see the man. He was awake.

Minho noticed him too. “Where were you?” He asked lowly. It hurt to talk too loud, it hurt to breathe. It hurt to even exist. But Minho is sure that if he voiced that last phrase out, Taemin would smack him and so, he kept that thought to himself.

Taemin stood by his bed, contemplating whenever he should sit down in the ugly, uncomfortable chair or to stay up. “I was negotiating with your doctor. He is quite stubborn.” Taemin said.

Minho laughed and winced right away. This

Please log in to read the full chapter