Seeking Approval

Seeking Approval
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nurse Ha was flipping through a patient’s chart as she walked past the nurse’s counter in the Haesung Hospital Emergency Room when she looked up and saw Kang Mo Yeon standing there, bent over a chart of her own. It was an unexpected sight, and Nurse Ha checked her watch again to make sure she didn’t have the incorrect time.

“Dr. Kang! What are you doing here? You were supposed to have left an hour ago.”

“I know, tell me about it. But what could I do? There was an ambulance that came in just as I was leaving and there wasn’t anyone else available.”

“What about Dr. Song? Didn’t he say he would cover for you this evening? Where did he go? I’m going to give him a piece of my mind when I see him next.”

“Don’t bother on my account. He was tied up in surgery when the ambulance came in, but he’s already called to say he’s out and making his way back down. I’m just filling in the last of this chart so he’ll know what’s going on with the patient when he takes over. Here, you can pass this on to him when you see him.” Kang Mo Yeon handed Nurse Ha the chart and moved to grab her jacket and bag. “Don’t forget, I’m off tomorrow as well. So I’ll see you the day after next.”

“Good-luck tonight, and have fun! Fighting!”

Just as she’d reached the sliding doors of the Emergency Room, Lee Chi Hoon, one of the residents, came running after her. “Sunbaenim! Wait! Sunbaenim! I have a question!”

Kang Mo Yeon merely threw up one arm and waved, as she kept walking without looking back. “You’re too late. I’m already off duty. Find someone else!”

“But—“

“Clench your teeth, Lee Chi Hoon!” she called back.

He did as he was instructed, but still managed to grouse through his teeth. “But I had a question about my patient I wanted to ask.”

That’s when Nurse Ha walked up beside him and said, “Dr. Lee, how can you bother Dr. Kang on a day like today? Don’t you remember? She has her meeting with her future father-in-law tonight.”

#####

Kang Mo Yeon exited the last of the hospital’s doors and breathed a sigh of relief. She stretched her arms over her head and lifted her face to the sky. She always considered it a minor success when she managed to leave the hospital at all. It was a major success, however, if she managed to leave the hospital on time. Today hadn’t been a day for major successes, but at least she was finally free. The sun felt wonderful against her face. She’d lost count of how many days she’d been stuck at the hospital.

Finally letting go of her linked hands over her head, she yawned widely before returning to normal stance.

That’s when she let out a yelp.

“Omo! What are you doing here?”

Leaning against a car parked in front of the hospital was her fiancé, Major Yoo Shi Jin.

“I figured you’d be running late and thought I’d come pick you up.”

Kang Mo Yeon gave him a haughty sniff as she walked past him and climbed into the passenger side of the car. Once upon a time she might have been embarrassed to let him see her like this. In fact, she remembered a time when he had managed to surprise her at the hospital and she’d been in a similarly unwashed state. She’d been embarrassed then, but after all the time they’d spent together and everything they’d been through, she figured he’d seen her at her best and worst already. She was over the embarrassment.

“Just admit you missed me,” she told him, as he started the car.

“Well that too.”

“How much time do we have?”

Yoo Shi Jin glanced at the clock on the dashboard. “A little over two hours.”

Kang Mo Yeon nodded and closed her eyes, prepared to catch a cat’s nap on the way home. “Don’t worry. I can be ready in time.”

“Will your water be working today?”

Without opening her eyes, Kang Mo Yeon delivered a precise slap to the arm as he laughed.

True to her word though, she was washed, dressed, and primped within an hour. As a doctor, she understood the essence of time. And as a soldier and a man, Yoo Shi Jin appreciated that about her.

Being ready on time meant they were able to navigate their way through traffic and arrive at the restaurant well within the appointed time. Kang Mo Yeon was glad. First impressions were everything. “Do you think your father will like me?” she asked.

“Well let’s see,” Yoo Shi Jin said. Pretending to give her a top-to-bottom once over. “You washed your hair today, so that’s a good start already.”

When she shot him a death glare, he laughed and swung one arm around her shoulders, guiding her towards the restaurant door. “You’ve nothing to worry about,” he said reassuringly. “My father will adore you. You’re smart, you’re pretty, and you had the sense to fall in love with his most beloved son. Why wouldn’t he approve of you?”

“Just wait until you meet my mother,” Kang Mo Yeon warned. “I’m going to pay you back then for all your teasing today.”

“I’ve alrea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter