Lyric Love

Lyric Love - Sungjin

Sitting behind the music board, a microphone projected from the surrounding machines and speakers. The cozy room slightly dark with only one or two lamps lighting the small room.

A man carefully moved down the hallway of the radio station until he opened the small room. Carrying a guitar case in hand, he closed the door behind him and padded over to the swivel chair. Resting his guitar case against one of the speakers, he placed his backpack next to it before taking his seat behind the music board.

Flipping a few switches and plugging in a few cords here and there, he eased a pair of headphones over his ears. Taking in a deep breath, he pushed the rolling chair over to a stack of CD’s and began to thumb through them while he listened to the other radio jockey finish up his show.

Unlocking your front door, you carefully slipped off your shoes and then closed the door behind you. Padding across the hardwood floor, you walked over to your radio and flipped a switch to turn it on. Increasing the volume a few notches, you headed to your bedroom and traded your pencil skirt for a pair of comfy flannel pants and your button up blouse for a old rock t shirt.

Releasing your hair from the clip you had it up in, you ran your fingers through your free hair, letting it fall over your shoulders as it pleased. Moving about your quaint apartment, you listened as the music faded from one song to another.

Soft voices molded together in A Capella before a pause and a strum across the guitar before lyrics flowed from a set of lips, telling of the story of letting go of your love so that your love could be happy without you. Heating up some left overs, you swayed from side to side as you began humming along to the catchy song.

The beep announcing that the timer had run out, you turned and pulled your food from the microwave before sitting at the bar, crossing one leg over the other you stirred around your food as you took a bite or two still enjoying the song that played over the radio. Placing your phone next to you on the counter, you ate with only the accompaniment of the radio.

Fading out the ending of the song, a soothing voice spoke softly while the song finished. “Thank you all for tuning in tonight, I am Sungjin.”

A smile pulled on your lips as you heard Sungjin’s voice over the radio, the two of you being friends for over four years now, you had been through thick and thin together, graduated high school and college together. Now following separate dreams, the two of you made sure to catch up over lunch once and a while. Yet once and a while now seemed to be more and more frequent than ever before.

“Instead of Letting Go of someone tonight, I would appreciate it if the listeners out there tonight, would send in songs that show love and affection towards someone you love.” Sungjin spoke softly but with a loving tone lining his words, “I know there has been someone on my mind recently, so funny and kind with a loving and open heart, I would love to hear your music and dedicate the songs tonight to your loved ones.”

Smiling to yourself at the theme of tonight, you finished your dinner and washed the dishes before putting them away. Grabbing your phone, you padded across the hardwood floor to your large built in bookshelf. Pulling a new book from the shelves, you happily moved over to the couch and lifted a blanket over your legs.

The radio still playing softly in the background while you turned the front cover of your book over and began reading the introduction then the first chapter.

Meanwhile, Sungjin watched the computer screen as his listeners began to request songs, personal stories attached to the song as to why they would like it played and whom they would like to dedicate the song to. Sungjing happily lined up the playlist as one song finished and the next one played.

Announcing the dedications to each song as well as the backstories to each as well. His heart swelled with confidence reading some of the backstories on how some met while others dedicated songs to their crushes. People they haven’t spoken to or that have passed on.

Various songs played throughout the night, each holding a special place in everyone’s hearts. Reading off everyone’s stories and listening to the lyrics of each and every song, he leaned back into his chair as his thoughts slowly turned towards his heart.

Pulling over his phone, he tapped the screen to unlock it before pulling up the texting conversation he had with you. Scrolling back a few threads of messages, he smiled rereading the messages that the two of you sent to one another.

Hearing one song come to an end, he introduced the next one before playing a song called Makin’ This Boy Go Crazy by Dylan Scott.

Nodding his head to the song and closing his eyes to focus on the lyrics, he smiled to himself as he tapped his thumbs across the screen, slowly bringing together a message to send to you.

The way your hair blows in the wind, takes me to heaven and back again.

Your phone chimed with a new message, pulling the phone from your lap, you happily opened the message seeing that it was from Sungjin.

The way your hair blows in the wind, takes me to heaven and back again. - SJ

Your thumbs froze over the screen, unsure of how to reply to the song lyrics, hearing the song lyrics play over the radio, you bit your bottom lip softly, blush painting your cheeks effortlessly. Before you could reply, another message came through.

Oh girl you make me feel like whoa,
Spinning me outta control with every little move you’re makin’
You’re makin’ this boy go crazy, crazy, crazy… yea - SJ

Then another

Driving me wild if you know what I’m saying, hey, shoot another smile my way, -
SJ

Don’t worry, I’m listening into your radio station like I do every Friday night :)

You sent a message back, unsure of what else to write. Knowing that you two weren’t romantic yet or knowing that he had any sort of feelings towards you, you kept it friendly letting him make the first move if he ever wanted to cross the friendship line for something more.

Writing down that song, you listened to Sungjin play a few more songs, not a text was sent to you as you returned your undivided attention to the book in front of you.

Another song began to play as your phone began to blow up with messages once again.

Man her eyes drive me crazy - SJ

I can honestly say that she saved me - SJ

Yea baby girl you gone and done it again
Makin all the guys wish you were with them
But I bet they don’t see what I see when I see my girl - SJ

That’s my girl - SJ

Watching the lyrics flood in, once more, you happily watched and listened to the lyrics within the song. Your heart began to flutter while the song flooded your apartment, the beautiful lyrics and heartfelt beat making you fall for more than just the song.

I like this song, and the last one you played too :)

You texted back, taking a baby step forward, letting your feelings slightly show within the text you sent. Having feelings for Sungjin for quite some time now, you kept them hidden, happy as to having him as your best friend. Sure, you have given being his girlfriend some thought but you would rather be a best friend that stayed around for years than a girlfriend he only goes out with once.

Turn up your radio - SJ

Reading the next text your received, you turned up the radio a notch or two before bookmarking your page and listening into the radio.

I would like to thank everyone for listening in tonight and sending in their personal stories along with their one of a kind songs. I have enjoyed playing them for you and I hope that your loved ones know how much you care for them.” Sungjin paused a moment, wetting his lips as he gathered up the courage to do something a little more drastic, “I would like to take this next song and dedicate it to someone that is close to my heart. Listening to all of the songs that you had sent it, couldn’t help but bring to light the feelings I have for this wonderful woman. Being my best friend for years, we have shared most of our secrets with one another, made memories from our adventures and even though I have dated other girls, she has always been the one that I come back to, the one that no one else measures up to. _______, this next song is for you. One of my personal favorites.”

Your heart dropped, thinking that he had some other girl in mind, you froze, not breathing for a moment or two. Sparks by Coldplay began to play, the simple strumming of the guitar coupled with the raw voice and the emotion filled lyrics came over you. Flooding your emotions over the edge, you rocked from side to side, soaking in the lyrics as your phone began to light up from texts again.

This time every line of verse was typed, perfectly.

Did I drive you away
I know what you’ll say
You’ll say, “oh, sing one we know”
But I promise you this
I’ll always look out for you
That’s what I’ll doI say oh
I say ohMy heart is yours
It’s you that I hold on to
That’s what I do
And I know I was wrong
But I won’t let you down
Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah I will, yes I willI said oh
I cry ohYeah I saw sparks
Yeah I saw sparks
And I saw sparks
Yeah I saw sparks
Sing it outLa, la, la, la, oh… -SJ

The song slowly faded over the radio and a moment of silence was heard before he sent one last text attached with a picture. I like you a lot ______ written over the selfie that he had sent you.

Dropping your jaw slightly, you sat in awe as he continued his show with playing a few slower songs due to the late hour.

Your eyes stayed on the last message that he sent you, finding yourself restless, you slipped on a pair of jeans and pulled over a jean jacket over your old band t shirt before heading out the door and locking the door behind you.

Standing on the other side of the glass, you watched his beautiful blonde hair fall forward, covering his eyes, your heart began to beat faster meanwhile your fingers playing with the cuffs of your sweatshirt nervously.

Dropping your eyes for a moment, you bit your bottom lip softly, trying to remember the words that you had rehearsed time and time again while you walked over here. The soft click of the door, caused you to take a step back, shying away from the situation as Sungjin stepped out of the studio, his eyes falling on you as his hands closed the door to the sound booth.

“_______, what are you doing here?” Sungjin questioned, his tone neither cold nor comforting as you flicked your eyes up to meet his for a second before dropping them back down.

“I-I heard w-w-what you said on the radio tonight” You stammered, finally finding some words to start off with. “I wanted to tell you in person…”

Sungjin patiently waited, knowing that there was only two options, you were either going to accept him or the more likely situation, that you were going to turn him down. His beautiful brown orbs moved over your nervous form.

“Just say i-” Sungjin couldn’t take the suspense as you finally spoke up.

“I like you too” You blurted a little louder than you normally would have.

“W-What?” Sungjin stammered, unsure if he heard you correctly.

“I like you, Sungjin” You quietly repeated, your eyes lifting to meet his. Watching his eyes widen and then soften over a few seconds, he rested his guitar against the door before wrapping his arms around you and pulling you close.

“What took you so long” He whispered against your head, your arms finding your way around him.

Both of you have given each other plenty of hugs, yet this one was different. the way he held you, the way his arms secured themselves around you and how his heart pounded at a quick pace against his ribs. This hug seemed so different from the others.

“I should ask you that” You whispered back, knowing that you were waiting on him.

“I didn’t want to loose our friendship, risk what we had for a shot in the dark” Sungjin whispered softly, his arms tightening around you that he never wanted to let you go.

“You miss one hundred percent of the shots, you don’t take” You whispered back relaying a common quote.

“Did I score?” Sungjin giggled softly, his head resting against yours as he slowly began to rub the small of your back.

“You did~” You whispered back, a smile unable to leave your lips.