Nameless

The Forgotten
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Sorry I took so long, kid." He said with an outstretched hand towards the younger boy in front of him. "Let's go." 

The younger boy looked at the man in front of him with awe. Up until recently, everyday of the boy's life was a repeat of the last. He'd wake up, eat the food on the tray that was left on the floor by his room. It was more like a cell, seeing as how there were bars and that he wasn't allowed out of it unless permitted to. After he ate, a guard would take him to a spacious room and he'd sit in that funny blue chair. He'd wait until the man with the mask came and gave him 2-3 injections. He'd then move into the next room, where a group of people would ask him various questions like if he felt any different, or they'd ask him to perform a physical task, like lifting a heavy object. After that, he'd go back into his little room and wait until his teacher got there. His teacher would teach him how to read and write. He was also taught maths and English and other subjects such as history and current affairs.  

He thought that his days would continue on like this, since it's been that way for as long as he could remember. But right off the bat, his day started differently. He woke up and there was no food tray, but instead there was a male older than him. 

"Huh?" He didn't know what to think, he was so used to how he'd been living for years. 

The older male sighed and grabbed the younger's hand. "I said, let's go." He said in an irritated voice as he pulled the younger one along. As the two ran through the grey walled hallways, the boy realised it was empty. Usually when you reached the end of a hallway or a door, you'd be face to face with a stern looking guard. Before he knew it, he was outside. He wasn't sure who the older man that pulled him along was but he was thankful. He hadn't been outside the building since he got there. He recalled the time others tried to leave the building, it ended quite tragically. Others. There were about 200 or so other kids in the same situation he was in. The man continued to pull him along, not saying a word to him, no explanations at all. It wasn't until they reached a vehicle that the older male spoke. "You sure have no muscles. I nearly pulled your arm off." 

"Who are you?" 

The older male started the engine and loosened his black tie. "I'm Hoseok." He slipped on a pair of sunglasses and harshly stepped down on the accelerator. "What's yours?" 

He opened his mouth to reply but realised that what he had been called for years was not a name at all, but a label. "Number one." He mumbled and played with his fingers. 

Hoseok glanced over at his passenger. "Don't remember?" He nodded. Hoseok took his hand off the gear and ruffled the younger males hair. "It's okay, kid." After a few minutes of silence, he glanced over to the boy again and saw that he had a muddled face. It looked as if he wanted to ask something but didn't know how. "I saved you because I knew your father." Hoseok turned his head back to the road, but from the corner of his eye, he could see the boy's face shine with curiosity. "I'll explain later." 

 

As soon as they both got out of the car, the boy asked Hoseok about his dad. "Just wait, let's go inside first." They were currently in an underground car park. The lights were dim and it reminded the boy of the place he had lived in for years. They walked towards the elevator on the far left of where Hoseok had parked. The boy, even Hoseok, didn't know why he'd parked so far when there were plenty of free spots closer to the elevator. Inside the elevator, Hoseok pressed the number 9 and it was silent as they elevated, except for the boy's fidgeting. As the elevator came to a stop, Hoseok began talking. "Remember the floor number. It's the floor you'll be living on now." He said and walked out the elevator. The younger male quickly followed him, walking as close to the older as he could. "That's a little close, kid." Hoseok said and lightly pushed him a bit further away. 

The older male whistled as he walked down the hallway of doors, not caring that it might be a disturbance to the residence. "Ah, this is the one." He pointed to the door and the number. "Remember it." 903. The nameless boy nodded, repeating the numbers over and over in his head. As Hoseok opened the door he spreaded his arms out. "Ta-dah! Your new home!" He suddenly said excitedly. He looked back at the boy to see his reaction and supressed a smile. The boy looked at the apartment in awe. He had his mouth slightly opened as he scanned the interior. "And I'll be living here too. It was a little expensive so I didn't want you to hog it all while I had to pay for it." Hoseok looked super satisfied with himself.  

 

After letting the younger one explore his new home, Hoseok sat him down and once again asked him what his name was. He thought to himself for a while but shook his head. "No ideas? You can just make it up if you want." Hoseok suggested. His suggestion was followed by silence. "Well, that's okay." Hoseok took out a piece of folded paper from the inside of his black blazer pockets. He unfolded it and quickly took a look at it, to see if it was readable since it had been in his pocket for a while. "Here, a list of common Korean names, you can read right?" The boy nodded and began scanning the list. 

"Jungkook." He said in a soft voice. He repeated it again, louder this time and the corners of his lips slightly moved upwards, content with how it sounded. 

Hoseok looked at the younger boy in amusement. "Jungkook, huh? Well, you'll be Jeon Jungkook from today onwards." Jungkook awkwardly grinned, he'd never been called anything besides 'number one' or the occasiona

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter