No Sense

Inspiration

“Thank you, have a good evening!”

 

Minkyung forced a smile and bow to the last order of a mocha frappuccino and espresso. She looked up from the register and glanced around the book café. Her hopeful eyes lowered themselves at the disappointment of one remaining customer. And she knew exactly who it was. He’s been there ever since the start of her shift, six hours ago, with his guitar and laptop. The young barista has brought him several teas, of which he switched to lattes midway her shift.

9:38. Normally, if there were no customers, the café would close at least 10 minutes early after cleaning up. She let out a heavy sigh; the guitarist wasn’t showing any indication of leaving before then. Averting her attention from the clock, she went to prepare another latte.

In the midst of steaming the milk, Minkyung heard his gentle strumming. She never noticed it amongst the usual daytime murmurs.  It was upbeat and light, yet unsure, catchy enough to make the barista tap her foot along with it. She continued making the drink when her mind drifted to the sound of his voice. Gentle and sweet, perhaps to not disturb her much.

 

“I told you to tell me first
All you woman, I can’t understand
I told you to tell me right away if you’re mad, I don’t understand
I told you once, I told you twice
I told you every day--”

 

His English is perfect; maybe he’s a foreigner?

 

A warming to hot sensation crept onto her hand and she pulled away from the overflowing steamed milk, hissing. She rushed her hand under the faucet and looked back, his eyes on her with confusion. Her cheeks flushed in an instant and prepped another latte, before shuffling his way.

 

“Er, sorry that took so long. Here you go,” Minkyung placed the cup by his sheet music.

“Ah, no problem, thank you,”

 

He gave a nod and wide smile, his eyes crinkling into crescent moons. She had to admit, he was pretty cute. Reaching for the cup, the male took a small sip and his eyes wandered to her reddened hand.

 

“Are you alright? Your hand is quite red.”

“Oh—I’m fine!” she smiled awkwardly and changed the subject. “Um, are you writing a song?”

 

He blinked at the sudden question, but peered back at his laptop.

 

“Yeah, but I’m struggling with the lyrics a bit.”

“I see. I’ll let you get back to work then,”

“Wait!”

 

His hand wrapped around her wrist, stopping her in place. The barista stared at him with widened eyes. He released her immediately and sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck.

 

“Um, do you mind helping? Two minds are better than one,” he grinned, bashfully.

“I don’t know much about writing lyrics. Plus, you seem to have a lot in mind, I don't want to distract you."

"No, it's alright, I insist!"

"I suppose, but maybe you should call it a day. You’ve been here all night. aren’t you tired?”

“Just… trying to make most out of the night.”

 

Minkyung furrowed her eyebrows slightly and took the seat across from him. She rested her chin in her cupped hands.

 

“You could always work in the morning. Working early is the same as working late. You don’t always have to take both for granted.”

“The same, huh? Always have to take it for granted..”

 

The musician mumbled to himself and hastily typed something onto his laptop, going silent for a while. Minkyung could only raise an eyebrow at the repetition of her words.

 

“Lot on your mind, aren’t you tired…”

 

His fingers sped across the keyboard and his lips tugged into a grin, something he seems to do often; not that she was complaing, he had a very nice smile. The female in front of him opened to speak, but quickly shut it as his hands reached for his guitar. He began to play the melody from before, this time at a faster rate; he was confident this time.

 

“I told you to tell me first
All you woman, I can’t understand
I told you to tell me right away if you’re mad, I don’t understand
I told you once, I told you twice
I told you every day

What are you thinking about?
Will you stay with me
I have a lot of thoughts in my mind right now

You don’t know, you don’t know, I can’t believe it
You don’t know, you don’t know, but I still like you like a fool
You know this so you’re a fool too, it’s complicated

It’s complicated, it’s all the same, you’re right
Sometimes, even when we talk all night, there’s no answer
Maybe it’s because things get taken for granted
It’s not only your fault, oh no
But it doesn’t really matter
I’ll be better, girl would you stay with me
I don’t want to go anywhere else and leave you here
Don’t worry ’bout us
Don’t worry ’bout nothing,”

 

His voice was much clearer and stronger, not limited to the possiblility of disturbing others. He cheered and leaned back with an abrupt chord to end it, startling Minkyung whom he gave the brightest smile to.

 

“Thank you so much! With the final chorus, I think—I think this is it.”

“I didn’t do anything.”

“Yes you did; you finished my song for me! Gave me what was missing, and that's more than what I could ask for.”

 

She began to protest and felt warmth on her cheeks again, but decided against ruining his celebration. Instead, she chuckled at his child-like excitement. It didn’t last long as he checked the time, a little past closing. He quickly shut his computer and put away his guitar, slinging it over his shoulder.

 

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to keep you open for so long,” he bowed profusely.

 

The employee stood and picked up his cup, shaking her head.

 

“That’s alright, it’s not that late.”

 

He followed her to the counter as she totaled his price. Before she could press the ‘Pay’ button, Minkyung hesitated. She pursed her lips at his credit card reached toward her.

 

Eh, why not?

 

She reached for her own wallet and slid her credit card into the system. She felt his stares as she signed the small computer and stuffed the recipt into her apron, only gaving him a smile.

 

“I don’t--”

“It’s on me.”

“But you’ve already done so much for me!”

“And you’ve provided me the only entertainment all day.”

 

His worried expression tugged into a grateful smile.

 

“Thanks so much, I don’t know how to repay you.”

“Oh, you don’t--”

“I know!”

 

Ignoring her comment, he pulled out a business card and pen, scribbling something on the back before handing it to her.

 

“Text or call me whenever, I’ll buy you lunch or dinner sometime.”

 

She took the card slowly and stared at the numbers neatly written across. Immediately taking out her phone, she typed in his number and texted him. His phone dinged seconds later, which he took out and read with a grin.

 

“Got it. So, I’ll see you around?”

“Y-Yeah,”

 

Giving a cute salute and wink, he made his way to the door. Minkyung looked down at her phone, realizing the blank name slot and called out to him.

 

“Wait, what’s your name?”

“Sam Kim, yours?”

“Kim Minkyung, pleasure meeting you.”

“The pleasure is absolutely mine, Kim Minkyung. Have a good night.”

“You too, Sam Kim.”