Fortune Tell

An Out of this World Marriage

"Now you can take off your mask. Nobody sees you here," Mr. Kim tells his son. The guys slowly removes the sick mask and puts it in his jacket pocket. 

"Ya hurry. The fortune teller isn't going to wait for us," the mom says and walks in first, with the son and dad following. 

"I see you came," the woman says.

"How did she know??!" Mr. Kim whispers surprised to his wife.The woman was turned around backing them and they made no sound coming in. 

"That's because I know everything," the woman turns around dramatically. 

"I told you she was good!!!" Mrs. Kim says and slaps her husbands shoulder. 

"Ya don't hurt me," the man says. "Usually these type of persons are scammers," he says.

"She is not. Okay?" The wife says. 

"Everyone sit down now," the woman orders the three people. They obey immediately. She sits down too and her eyes immediately fix on the youngest of them, the son. "So tell me. What brought you today in my poor home?" She speaks with a dramatic tone.

"We want to know the future of our loved son. What is going to happen to him? Is he going to live well?" Mrs. Kim asks with curiosity. 

"Let me ask the globe," the woman responds with a mysterious look on her face. She starts waving her hands around the globe and making some creepy weird sounds with . In a second she stops the annoying sounds and stares at the globe. Putting on a surprised face she looks closer at the globe. "This is not good," she says. 

"What is it???" Mrs. Kim asks scared.

"I just saw that my nose is going a wrong way on my face. Again!"

The two breath in relief. "Ya tell me about our son," Mr. Kim says bored. 

"Yes that. Before anything, is your name Taehwan?" She asks the young man who simply responds with a nod. "I knew that. Now I already saw your future. It's a long and dark alley. You might even die," she says with a dramatic tone. He doesn't even blink, he is not impressed at all. "Returning. If you don't want to die you need to do exactly what I tell you."

"He will do everything. Just take care of our son," Mrs. Kim begs the woman while holding her hand. 

"I'm trying my best," the woman says. "Now the mother and father will both choose one different letter." 

"H?" Mr. Kim says insecure.

"J," Mrs. Kim on the other side is confident. J was always her favorite letter. 

"Very good choice. Now what he should do is start preparing for a wedding because you need to get married quickly," the woman says. 

"Hm what? I'm not getting married," he speaks for the first time. 

"Dear parents. It is now your turn to help your son. You need to get your son married but listen the bride's name should be exclusively Han Ji-ah. If he gets married to a woman whose name is not Han Ji-ah then your son will suffer an eternity of punishments from God." 

"Why? Why is this name so special?" Mrs. Kim asks curious. 

"It's the name that it's written on his future. You parents guessed the initials just perfectly." 

"But what if we find another girl who is not the right Han Jia?" 

"You should bring her to me before anything. If I feel the vibes then she's the one, if not then you can keep searching." 

"We'll return soon with her. Please wait for us," Mrs. Kim says and bows after standing up. "Let's go now. We need to find your bride son." 

"But hurry. The destiny doesn't wait any second. You gotta rush and bring the girl to me. The wedding must be done before next month. This month just started so it's enough time to find the girl. Don't anger the gods." The woman says and gives the son a stare that was intended to scare him but the guy was just unmoved. Nothing seemed to move him. 

 

 

She bit her lip and slowly walked to the cashier. She felt her heart beating faster and her stomach emptying. She showed the woman the cup of ramen she was holding in her hand, and she took it to scan it.

"2.400 won please," the girl says.

"How much?? For ramen noodles?" Haeun raised her tone in shock. "I should sue this shop for making it so expensive."

"Are you buying it or not?" The cashier girl asked bored. 

"This is so unfair," Haeun told herself while taking out the money and paid for the noodles. She took the cup and left the market with no idea where she's heading to. I wonder if my former neighbor is cooking. She could give me some hot water so I can eat this ramen. How do I even get there? It's an hour walk. Why did I walk so far from the place I used to live in? 

Something caught her attention. She sees a delivery guy with a motorcycle. 

"Ya boy," she yells at him as if they know each other. He stares at her. She runs to him while verifying the available space on the motorcycle that could fit her. "Are you by chance going to xxx street? Or somewhere close?" She asks with excitement. She recognized the restaurant's logo on the vehicle and she knows that the restaurant is just close by to her former place. 

"Yes. I'm returning to the restaurant why?" The guy is confused. 

"I live that way. Can you take me too? I have no money with me and no energy to walk anymore. I promise I won't let your boss see me and if he sees I'll take full responsibility. Please!!" She makes a doggy pout. 

"Oh I guess I could take you there," the guy says. 

"Yes. Thank you!!!" She jumps in his embrace and hugs his neck forcefully. 

"I have a girlfriend please don't act like this," he says with an uncomfortable tone.

"Sure. I'm so sorry. Let's go now," she says. 

 

"We arrived. You can get off," the guy says and Haeun immediately jumps on the ground. 

"Thanks for the ride," she smiles. "By the way do you have a phone?" 

"Yes. Why?"

"Let's take a photo together," she says. 

"Why?" He asks and gives her an are you crazy look. 

"So you remember me when you need help. If there's something I can help with then please ask around about Han Haeun. I want to return the favor ok?" She smiles brightly. 

"I don't think it's appropriate. My girlfriend might see the photo and-" 

"It's okay. Just remember my name ok?" 

"Sure," the delivery guy says and start the engine and drives away. 

Haeun's smile fades away. She walks towards the place she used to live. She sees the window of the neighbors apartment open. 

"Ahjumma! Are you home? It's Haeun!" 

An old lady appears at the window. "Haeun? What are you doing here?"

"Do you have some hot water? I want to prepare some ramen." 

"Come up daughter. We were just having lunch," the woman says to her. 

"It's okay ahjumma. Just give me some hot water. I'm in a hurry," Haeun says. 

 

She throws the empty cup of ramen to a near-by trash can. Now what do I do? I ate and washed. What is in plan? Nothing. Nobody wants to hire me because of my ripped clothes. But I don't smell. I always wash...in the river and public restrooms. And I'm a hardworking person. And I'm pretty to. And talented to. Who wouldn't want to hire me? It's okay I'll try again at that restaurant around the corner. Maybe they changed their mind. 

 

 

"No. We don't hire at the moment."

"But there's a free place. I just saw your employee leaving just now. Don't you need a new employee. I'm a hardworking person. I swear." Haeun tries to convince the old man who owns the restaurant. 

"Listen. Times are tough for us. We can't afford to have more employees. I'm sorry," the old man says feeling bad about it. 

Haeun feels how her tears are threatening to appear. She fast holds her feelings back and puts her smile back on her face. If there's something she can do, that's acting. 

"I see. I hope you will meet good times. Good luck," she says and turns around, walking away. 

"Miss!" She hears someone yelling. 

She sees a man coming towards her from the left. "I have an offer for you." 

"Is it a job?" Haeun smiles. Finally!

"Yes. I heard from the ahjussi from the restaurant that you are looking for a job. This job is very well paid and I think you are qualified." 

"Wow. Yes. I'm interested," Haeun nods her head energetically. 

"This is my business card," the man hands her the piece of paper. 

She looks at it and reads it and remains shocked. "? You want me to work in ?" She asks starting to feel offended. 

"It's not actually . There will be a photosh-" 

"Do creeps like you actually walk on the streets and hand cards to every girl? Have you thought that there are kids around? Do you have no shame?" She yells at him. 

"Please lower your tone. People are looking," the guy says embarrassed. 

"Everybody this man is looking for stars. Don't talk to him if you are a decent person. Don't let your daughters approach him!!" She yells around and gives him a look before running away. 

That was close. He wanted me to do huh? Ew this creep. Better that I wasn't alone with him. He could me. But.. How am I going to survive? Nobody wants to hire me. It seems like the world turned against me. What have I done so bad that I deserve this? It's so unfair. 

Haeun continued walking forwards, having no idea where she was heading to. As she was walking with her head lowered, she bumped into someone. 

 

"Excuse me. It's my fault," she bowed in an apologetic way. 

She looks up and sees a tall guy who is wearing a cap, glasses and sick mask. She widens her eyes. "Oppa is that you?" She asks surprised. 

The guy tilts his head to look at her. 

"Come on Oppa. Don't act like you forgot me. I'm Han Jia. We acted like siglings in that family drama. You told I'm like a sister to you. Remember?" Haeun is very sure that this guy is Young kwang, her forever crush. She can recognize him anywhere. 

"Your name is.. Han Jia?" The guy asks. The voice is different, more raspy and low. 

"OH I'm sorry. I think I got you wrong," Haeun bows again. "It is just that you look so much like someone I know with this outfit," Haeun says embarrassed. 

"Is your name really Han Jia?" He asks again. 

"Yes. I mean Han is but-" 

He puts a finger on her lips. "Shh. Don't say anything anymore. Let's go," he says and takes her hand. She pushes his hand away

"What are you trying to do?" She yells at him. 

"I'm taking you to a fortune teller," he says. 

"I don't need fortune telling. Are you a stranger who wants me to work in too?" she yells but very loud, making some people stare. 

Suddenly Haeun sees black in front of her eyes and passes out, the guy immediately catching her. "I apologize but you have a really annoying voice," the guy says and smirks behind the mask. 

A/N. Hope this start doesn't make you wanna give up on reading the rest. It'll get better I swear. Xoxo.