Taohun

Kitty Cats

Little Black Kitten

 

Sehun didn't hate cats. He didn't particularly like them either. 

 

It wasn't like he was a dog person either. 

 

One could say he just used to being by himself; despite the people that flocked to him, for whatever reason, probably because of his father's money. Not that he and his father were close; the only thing that connected them being a bank account. His mother on the other hand; he coulnd't get off his back. 

 

"Don't you have girlfriend Sehun?"

 

"If you want to inherit the company you need a wife Sehun."

 

"Your father only wants the best for you Sehun, so get married quickly."

 

"That girl is nice, why don't you talk to her Sehun?"

 

He was only 21. He'd only just graduated from highschool; he was still in college, who thought about getting married while in college? His mother apparently. 

 

Speaking of, she said she was sending him something today.

 

It was his birthday after all. 

 

Sehun couldn't really remember if as a kid, he'd enjoyed birthday parties, but he definitevely not liking them as a teen. What was the point of them? Honestly, he was celebrating his his birth, what had he done exactly that warranted that? His mother was the one who'd done all the work. 

 

His friends, on the other hand, disagreed, and had thrown him a massive party, basically inviting the entire campus. Although it ended not being so bad, it was more like a frat party than anything else; Sehun suspected Kai had only used him as an excuse to throw it. He smirked, not that he'd minded; he may like being alone at home, but at uni it was a different story. 

 

They was the most popular. Kai, Baekhyun and him. There wasn't any doubt. They even had their own fanclub; of which Kai was especially proud of. And the girls. Sehun rolled his eyes when he thought of how many times he'd been approached at the party, some drunk, some sober, some trying to get him drunk. Kai took it well, he was a flirt after all, although Sehun knew that deep down, Kai wasn't as confident as he seemed. 

 

As for Baekhyun, Sehun didn't know why they even bothered. It was no small secret he had a boyfriend; one he was completely head over heels for, not that he'd admit it. Chanyeol was the guy's name, he was some sort of musician or something, whatever. 

 

The doorbell to his apartement rang and he disgruntedly pulled himself off the couch and over to the door. He opened, eyes narrowing when he saw the puffed out delivery man standing outside. 

 

"Delivery for Oh Sehun." He wheezed and Sehun pursed his lips looking at box the man was holding. 

 

It had holes in it.

 

"Yes." He took the box from the man's arms, slightly surprised by how light it was, then again, anything would be heavy if you had to carry up 10 flights of stairs, Sehun still hadn't figured out why the owner thought only tenants could use the lifts and had given everyone a keycard, and so no keycard, no lift.

 

"If you could sign here sir." The man held out a device and Sehun quickly put the bpx under his arm and signed it, before shutting the door. 

 

He looked at the box and gave it a little shake. 

 

"Yowr!" A high pitched yowl came from inside it and Sehun almost dropped it. 

 

It couldn't be– 

 

She surely hadn't–

 

He put it on the table and slowly undid the top. 

 

Staring up at him from the dark, cramped space, was a pair of dark, mesemrizing blue eyes.

 

She had. 

 

He was frozen, staring at the little kitten who was gazing, terrified, back at him. Sehun swallowed; he'd never had a pet before, what was he supposed to do? 

 

"Mreow." The kitten yowled softly and Sehun made a decision; as gently as he could, he lifted the kitten out the box and it on the table.

 

Its fur felt cold, sticky and dirty, and he wasn't sure what color it was under the grime and grit that it was covered in. The poor thing, as soon as its feet hit the table, it scrambled out of Sehun's grip, and cowered behind the box. Sehun paused, and pulled his phone out of his pocket, tapped the screen, and then put it too his ear. 

 

"Hello?" The female voice questioned and Sehun took in a breath, turning around and leaning against the table.

 

"Mum."

 

"Ah, Sehun, how are you? Happy birthday sweetheart–"

 

"I got the cat." Sehun interrupted her before she went off on one of her speeches.

 

"Did you? Do you like him? Isn't he beautiful? He's chinese you know, such a pretty thing, I–"

 

"You didn't send him over from Beijing to Seoul did you?" Sehun looked at the kitten, his eyes wide but he was reassured by his mother's following words.

 

"Of course not, Sehun, honestly, you're such a silly boy sometimes, sending a cat in the mail, they're not toys you know–"

 

"Then how did you get him here?"

 

"Your friends, what were their names? Ah, yes Jongdae and Minseok, they were having a holiday in China, and I thought to myself, well it's Sehun's birthday soon isn't? And I saw this adorable thing in the store, and I know you're not a big fan of pets darling, but I thought he'd be perfect, so I asked them if they could, they're such sweet boys you know..."

 

Sehun grimaced to himself; the first word that came to his head when thinking of Jongdae was definively not sweet.

 

"They must have got him to see you safely then." HIs mother continued. "I'm glad. I was worried you know, thought he might get injured–"

 

"Mum, I don't need a cat. I don't want a cat." He turned back around and could see the tip of a tail pocking out from the side of the box. 

 

"Darling. You're always like this; give the poor thing a chance. He'll grow on you, I'm sure." He was about to protest some more but his mum hung up on him. 

 

Sehun took the phone from his ear and glared at the screen. 

 

"She hung up on me." He said and to his surprise, the little kitten poked its head out and give a small, almost inaudible meow.

 

Sehun bit his lip. Well, he couldn't just leave the thing on the table; first off, it really needed a bath. 

 

"Come here kitty." He cooed softly as he slowly reached out, and as the kitten didn't move, Sehun picked it, wait no, him up and carried him to the bathroom. 

 

He gave it a quick bath in the sink, which the little kitten did not appreciate and then dried him with a towel. He put the kitten and the sofa and then when he saw the way his fur poofed, making him look twice the size, Sehun couldn't help let out a small chuckle. 

 

The kitten meowed disgruntedly, and Sehun was surprised. It looked like being clean had calmed its nerves, the kitten was now a lot less skittish. Sehun took a good look at it, midnight black fur, misty blue eyes. Well, his mother wasn't wrong, he was a beautiful cat. Slowly, gently Sehun extended his hand, and carefully the top of the kitten's head. It began to purr, and soon his whole apartement reverberated with its noise. 

 

"You may be small but you're not quiet are you kitty?" Asked Sehun with a laugh and the kitten seemed to scowl at him, and even lightly bit Sehun's finger, which only made him laugh more. "Fiesty too?"

 

"Mreow." The kitten looked away and Sehun paused.

 

"I guess, I could keep you around." He bit his lip and then shook his head, why was he thinking so hard, he liked this kitten, therefor he was going to keep it.

 

He the little cat's head and then light scratched his neck, and the kitten purred louder. 

 

"I guess I should come up with a name. I can't keep calling you kitten." Sehun thought for a bit. "How about Black?"

 

The kitten bit his fingers.

 

"Ouch! Okay no. Midnight?"

 

The kitten looked away. 

 

"Bluey?" 

 

The kitten hissed.

 

"Well sorry for not being creatibe enough for you. Augustus?"

 

The kitten seemed to raise an eyebrow.

 

"Maybe...if your chinese...Chao?"

 

The kitten moved away from him. 

 

"Well what then?" Sehun threw up his hand in annoyance. "Zizi?"

 

The kitten suddenly purred and ran over, rubbing his head against Sehun's leg. 

 

He scrated behind its ears.

 

"Zizi? Really? How about..." He thought for a few minutes. "Zizi, zizi, Zi, Zitao?"  

 

The kitten meowed loudly and jumped onto his lap, and Sehun smiled widedly. "I'll take that as a yes, Zitao."

 

Weeks passed, and eventuallly Sehun couldn't imagine living without the little ball of fluff that was Zitao. He seemed to be growing extremely slowly, he was a little bit bigger than when he'd first got him, and if didn't eat all the food that Sehun gave him, he'd be worried. 

 

"Hey Sehun, are you even listening!" Baekhyun waved his hand in front of the younger one's face.

 

"Probably thinking about his widdle baby kitty witty~" Said Kai poking Sehun's cheek and the latter swatted him away. 

 

"Shut up." 

 

Baekhyun frowned. "I thought you hated cats."

 

"I don't." Said Sehun, frowning slightly. 

 

"Well, aren't you going to invite us round to see him?" Baekhyun grinned and Sehun tried not let his face crumble. 

 

He didn't really like people coming round to his apartement. And Zitao was his, Sehun liked sharing things even less.

 

"Fine." He agreed anyways; they were his friends after all. 

 

And so, this was how he found himself at his apartement, with Kai lounging on his sofa and Baekhyun cooing over a scared looking Zitao. 

 

"Aw, so cute. What's its name?"

 

"Zitao." Sehun answered, pulling a bag of popcorn out of the microwave and chucking it to Kai who gave him the thumbs up sign in response. 

 

"Zitao? That's not cute." Baekhyun frowned and picked up the kitten, who closed its eyes tightly and yowled softly. 

 

Sehun immediately took Zitao from Baekhyun. "You're scaring him."

 

Zitao immediately snuggled into the folds of Sehun's clothing and Baekhyun pouted. The four of them, kitten included, sat on the sofa, watching horror movies, which Sehun, but definitively not Zitao, was impartial to. Every single time there was even a single creak  from the speakers or slight movement on the screen Zitao would burrow himself even further into Sehun's jacket. Who honestly felt rather smug when he saw Baekhyun's jealous looks, his cat preffered him. 

 

The movie ended, and Sehun saw off his two guests, Zitao now asleep in Sehun's hoodie and he not having the heart move him, ended up sitting on the sofa again, until he slowly drifted off to sleep.